PDA

View Full Version : Would you out yourself for $25?

Eryn
10-26-2014, 05:03 PM
Funny story follows!

Mimi and I were visiting my daughter at her college quite a distance from our home. Nobody there knows my male self, so I was Eryn for the day, dressed casually in denim Capris, sandals and a cute pink striped top.

We took my daughter to a nearby art supply store to replenish her paints. As we went in, a person at the entrance asked if we wanted to sign up for their raffle for a $25 gift card. Mimi and my daughter started to fill in the slips and Mimi asked if I wanted her to fill out one for me. I said "sure!" so my name went into the bowl too. Later on, we found out that to win we had to be present and it would be a half-hour until the drawing occurred.

We had another quick errand to run, so we went off to do it. In the process, Mimi mentioned that she thought that the raffle winners would be notified by mail so she had put my male name on the slip. As George Takai would say: "Oh My!"

On the way back to the store I reasoned that (1) I probably wouldn't get drawn, (2) it was twice as likely that my wife or daughter would be drawn, (3) I'm a long way from home if my name is drawn. and (4) If my name is drawn, it's a artist's store and they'd probably be OK with a TG person.

We wander back into the store and there are about a dozen people standing around waiting for the drawing. Oh darn, I forgot that there would be an audience. Oh well... The hour arrives and I expect my anxiety will be quickly dispelled. The first name is drawn and called. Nobody responds. They go through the "going once, going twice..." routine and the name is tossed. The call the second name. We hear crickets. Once more they do the "once, twice..." thing. The name is tossed. They draw a third name.

Yes, it was my male name. Decision time. Put my tail between my legs and slink away from that princely gift card or pull up my panties and step forward proudly? Remarkably, I chose the latter. the woman running the raffle looks at me and says with some surprise "That's you?" I said "Yes it is!" With no fanfare she hands me the gift card and that was that! A dozen people have an interesting occurrence to talk about and my daughter has an extra $25 to spend!

In some ways I see this as a growing experience. When I first started going out an experience like this would have been mortifying. In this case it was stressful, but not impossible. Everyone was polite and pleasant and my wife and daughter saw the incident as funny, not embarrassing.

Marcelle
10-26-2014, 05:21 PM
Hi Eryn,

What a great story and well done on you to step forward and claim that prize . . . after all it was you . . . just dressed prettier.

Hugs

Isha

Leahann
10-26-2014, 05:26 PM
Way to Eryn!

Bree Wagner
10-26-2014, 09:13 PM
Eryn, congratulations on the win, the courage, and the pride you have in yourself!

S. Lisa Smith
10-26-2014, 09:46 PM
Good for you!

Janine cd
10-26-2014, 10:20 PM
A great story! I wish that I were brave enough to follow your choice.

Natasha V
10-26-2014, 10:24 PM
Congratulations, awesome way to step out.

Michelle789
10-26-2014, 10:27 PM
OMG, that is one hell of a story Eryn!!! Congrats on winning $25.

I think it would depend on how desperately you needed $25. If you were flat broke, and needed $25 otherwise you're going to starve, than I would think you have to do whatever it takes to get $25. On the other hand if you have enough money and having an extra $25 is just a nice extra bit of play money, than it's not worth it to me.

On the other hand, I would think for a bigger prize it would be worth it, at least if it's not too big. Like a $500 or $1000 prize would be worth it.

Then again, I wouldn't want to be outed to win the Mega Millions or Powerball. Since lottery winners are outed as lottery winners and are often targets of hate even if they're not trans anything, being outed as trans to the whole world as the transwomen who just won $150 million would be really scary. It would give people a double reason to target you.

I think it also depends on the environment and the distance from home too. Being far away from home or in a place that is TG friendly I would do it.

If I was too close to home or in a more conservative environment than probably not.

docrobbysherry
10-27-2014, 12:20 AM
I would say you're a very lucky girl, Eryn. And, NOT just because u one the drawing----:battingeyelashes:

bridget thronton
10-27-2014, 12:58 AM
Congrats and thanks for sharing

AmyGaleRT
10-27-2014, 01:06 AM
Eryn, your courage has certainly improved! Congratulations on the win and on having it be not so big a deal!

I don't know if I'd out myself for $25, but I sort of did for $50...that being the amount of the gift card that I won in winning the costume contest at work last year dressed as "Witch Amy." This year's "Fairy Princess Amy" will probably blow the doors wide a little more...but at this point, I, too, am beginning to see that many people don't consider it a big deal. Maybe my own courage has improved, too...

- Amy

Leslie Langford
10-27-2014, 01:09 AM
Not really a huge deal when you think about it...there are many "unisex" names like Pat, Terry, Chris, Sidney, Mel, Sam, Kim, Kelly, Evelyn(e), Clair(e), Rene'(e) etc. - even Leslie ;)

Some women actually have distinctly "male" names - examples being actresses like Glenn Close and Michael Learned. The woman handing out the winning prize probably thought you fell into the latter category, which is why she took it in stride.

PaulaQ
10-27-2014, 01:43 AM
That was really a pretty unnerving experience I bet, Eryn. I am cheap though - I apparently will just out myself for free when various people ask to see my ID. (Clubs, some purchases, banks, etc.)

I'm glad you got something for your effort - outing yourself like that, especially if you have to do it, just sucks.

Persephone
10-27-2014, 02:38 AM
You're always a winner in my book, Eryn!

Hugs,
Persephone.

charlenesomeone
10-27-2014, 04:39 AM
Eryn, way to go girl. A win is a win and you won twice.
Thanks for all us girls.
Char

donnalee
10-27-2014, 05:21 AM
It's your money; why not?

Claire Cook
10-27-2014, 05:31 AM
Yes, great story and what a great way to educate the "outside world". Eryn, we admire your confidence and ability to "own it". Wonderful example for the rest of us.

Krisi
10-27-2014, 06:11 AM
I have known men and women with "gender confusing" names so I wouldn't say you were outed. Besides, unless you knew these people, it doesn't really matter. Next time ask your daughter to use your initials.

BLUE ORCHID
10-27-2014, 06:23 AM
Hi Eryn, It sounds like you stepped up to the plate and hit a Home Run.

sometimes_miss
10-27-2014, 07:23 AM
If it was far enought away from where I live, yeah, I'd probably do it. Unless it involved a newspaper article showing me en femme while printing my real name under it or something like that. But a gift card raffle probably wouldn't attract that much attention.

Eryn
10-28-2014, 12:24 AM
...Some women actually have distinctly "male" names - examples being actresses like Glenn Close and Michael Learned. The woman handing out the winning prize probably thought you fell into the latter category, which is why she took it in stride.

Well, my male name does not go both ways, and I've never heard it being used by a woman. Even if it did, at 5'14" it would strain credulity to think that some folks would not have at least a strong suspicion about my birth gender. The nice thing was that, in that environment, it didn't matter.

You're always a winner in my book, Eryn!

I've been lucky to have a wonderful mentor! :hugs:

lingerieLiz
10-28-2014, 12:41 AM
I have a theory that the more fem clothes you have on the more likely you are to win.

I have gone to large presentations where towards the end they handed out prizes. for years I never won. Eventually figuring that I could dress and no one would know. As I often do I was wearing a fem outfit. Of course I was underdressed but no makeup, wig or attempt to pass. The first time I won grand prize I had on a sheer blouse clearly showing lace under it. There were other professionals there that knew my name so I couldn't just sit there. I pull my jacket together and pray that it stays closed. Luckily no pictures and as soon as the audience realized I was claiming the prize they bolted for the door.

The second time I was similarly dressed, but had on a really nice silk shirt style blouse. No problem, no one knew me or so I thought. Whoops, the hosting organization was providing a working lunch. I made it through even with each table being hosted by a rep who asked your life story. Mine was particularly nosie. Anyway at the end of the afternoon the hosting company announced they were giving away the latest phone and a year of unlimited use. Yes, I had the winning ticket. The good part, almost no one knew me. The bad part was that the silk shirt showed my bra lines if I reached forward. The two young women presenting the prize had me step between them. One then put her hand on my back to guide me forward. She just said, I really like your shirt, with her eyes on my chest.

Some times you just have to suck it in and stand up to claim your prize.

I was really miffed eons ago when I won the drawing for five hundred dollars in lingerie. I recognized my ticket by the folds. The girl drawing just said that it wasn't filled out fully and redrew. I was going to dispute it, but my wife said don't you dare. Oh well, the entry form did say it was for their women customers.

Tracii G
10-28-2014, 01:25 AM
Things worked out just fine as they usually do.great story.
I was at the local university book store looking for a sports jersey and an announcement over the PA said free University of Kentucky window sticker for the first 5 people that show up in aisle 4.
I was in aisle 3 so I walked around to the next aisle and said I'll take one the girl said what color blue white or pink?
I said pink please and she said OK here you go.
Not sure what she thought of a guy with 4 days of beard growth camo t shirt wanted with a pink window sticker LOL.

lexivanderpump
10-28-2014, 02:33 PM
Eryn,
The real story here is that your wife and your daughter are super cool about your dressing. That is so awesome. I wish my wife would accept it. She tolerates it but doesn't accept it. I am so happy for you. And I'm not talking about the $25.

Love,
Lexi V.

Eryn
10-28-2014, 07:42 PM
Eryn,
The real story here is that your wife and your daughter are super cool about your dressing.

Yes, I count myself lucky that I have such acceptance from my family. I know that it wasn't easy for them but in the long run we certainly have a great time!

Allison Chaynes
10-29-2014, 03:56 PM
That's a wonderful story. I'm glad it ended well!

CynthiaD
10-29-2014, 05:02 PM
I'd out myself for a plugged nickel. But I'm old. I've paid my dues. And I don't much care what people think anymore.

Fun story! I enjoyed it!

Beverley Sims
10-29-2014, 07:48 PM
Erin,
Talking to others today along similar lines, I wonder if anyone even noticed.