PDA

View Full Version : Not crossdressing on Halloween? What's that you say?

DanielleLee
10-27-2014, 01:47 PM
So after much internal debate... I've decided to not wear a female costume this Halloween. Initially, I was going to go as Dorothy to go with my wife's "Sultry Scarecrow", to a neighbor's party. I live, more or less, in a DADT/Undressing only situation... so the fact my wife was encouraging of "Dorothy" was awesome in and of itself. Not that I think it would lead to anymore dressing for me... but just the fact that she was willing to go along with it for even one evening meant a lot to me.

In the end though, I decided that I knew she would be uncomfortable. I don't do the funny, look at the guy in a dress thing. I try to look my best and when I do, its obvious that it's not my first rodeo or excursion with cross dressing. I know she would be worrying about what others were thinking all night and she wouldn't enjoy herself because of that. Also, the party is child friendly and all of our kids will be around, including my 13 yr. old son and his girlfriend. Although my son would be "okay" with me in a costume (he's seen me before on Halloween) he is in Junior High now. JH is awkward enough as it is, without having to worry about being labeled as a kid of a cross dresser (to say nothing of presenting en femme and meeting his GF for the first time, LOL)

So to all, I do hope you get to enjoy yourselves and your parties if you attend any. To the GGs.... please remember that we can put your needs in front of our own when we need to.

Most importantly, I hope everyone has a safe Holiday no matter how they dress! If you have a party, be safe and have a plan to get home if you do drink. (Fortunately, I just have to walk across the court :) )

Danielle Lee

Beverley Sims
10-27-2014, 02:01 PM
Is it obligatory? ")

Sarah Doepner
10-27-2014, 02:03 PM
So far I have no place to go for Halloween, so it's likely I'll just be my normal guyself answering the door for the 3 or 4 groups of trick-or-treaters who come down the dark lane to my house.

DanielleLee
10-27-2014, 02:22 PM
Is it obligatory? ")

Just want everyone to be safe and have fun is all :-)

Zylia
10-27-2014, 02:25 PM
I haven't had the chance to visit any fancy dress party dressed as a woman and I don't have any experience with DADT relationships, but my prime concern would be looking 'too good' for the occasion. I'm not saying that my presentation is flawless, but like everyone else here I surely look like I had a fair bit of practice.

So the obvious solution is to deliberately suck at it and leave all the proper padding, shoes, beard cover, etc. etc. at home, but I'm way too vain for that. Your thoughts?

DanielleLee
10-27-2014, 02:31 PM
LOL.... yeah, that's kind of the issue. I don't believe in doing anything half way. So yes the solution is right, I've just never been able to bring myself to do that. ;)

Sara Jessica
10-27-2014, 02:32 PM
There was a Halloween party about 6 years ago where I tried in earnest to get my wife on board to "let" me go in female costume. She didn't budge and at the end of the day it was the right decision. Not being my first rodeo either could have been problematic and like you said, sometimes her being comfortable is more important. Good decision on your part.

kimdl93
10-27-2014, 02:34 PM
I know Halloween is a big costume party night for many. For whatever reason, it's never been something I've participated in. I always thought of it as a night for children to dress up, not adults. So, I'll be handing out candy till it runs out.

suchacutie
10-27-2014, 03:25 PM
I'm with Kim on this. It just seems a bit odd to be Tina as a goof, which she is not. If I were to go there, it would have to be an over-the-top kind of presentation, almost as if Tina were dressing for Halloween, not my male self dressing for Halloween.

Kate Simmons
10-27-2014, 03:42 PM
I figure I'll dress up as a 67 year old Grandpa.:battingeyelashes::)

Jaylyn
10-27-2014, 03:48 PM
I won't be dressing as except as Kate says we grandpas have too many Grandkids that love tricking us and we love treating them. Will make a bag each of them as they come by....

Krisi
10-27-2014, 03:55 PM
I would like to have gone out with my wife as Krisi. Not to a party or where people would know us, but maybe to one of the bars or clubs downtown having a Halloween dress up night. I wouldn't enter a contest or anything, just be Krisi but among people in costume and dressing up. I might be taken for a woman, I might be taken for a guy in costume. No matter.

Unfortunately, it's not going to happen. We have a puppy who gets upset when people walk in front of the house or ring the doorbell so we will be off to a spot with peace and quiet.

Annaliese
10-27-2014, 04:16 PM
I dress in costume the rest of the year, so I am not going to make fun of the real me for one day.

Nadine Spirit
10-27-2014, 04:25 PM
I figure that if I were to dress for Halloween, then it would be for the sole purpose of coming out to everyone, work included, as that is really the only place I have to go to dressed at. And I don't think I want that. Maybe, but I don't think so.

Also, I am not a costume. So if I were to dress up in a fem manner for Halloween it would have to be something like a fem zombie or something similar. Honestly, with being out pretty much 80-100% of my personal life, I have no need/desire to dress for Halloween.

Jenniferathome
10-27-2014, 04:36 PM
.... I try to look my best and when I do, its obvious that it's not my first rodeo or excursion with cross dressing. I know she would be worrying about what others were thinking all night ...

Yes! And this will be true at every Halloween party on the planet earth. Go out and have fun but unless you look like a joke, you are outing yourself. People will talk. You don't have to care but you are not flying under the radar.

Sarah Beth
10-27-2014, 06:20 PM
So I am going to wade in here. I don't dress for Halloween as anything and haven't since I was 12 and was forced to do it then. For what ever reason I've never gotten a thrill out of the whole thing. My kids always got a big kick out of it and still do, and I went along them and helped them decorated and the whole bit but I never dressed up. We hand out candy and enjoy seeing the kids dressed up, but as for adults dressing up and the parties it's just not for me.

Barbara Dugan
10-27-2014, 07:59 PM
I never dress on Hallowen,` is allergy season for me and I don't know what I hate most the allergies or the side effects of the medicine:sad:

KiwiKate
10-27-2014, 09:28 PM
It's a shame you won't be dressing up Danielle,going as Dorothy would have been fun .Couldn't you just do a great job with the costume and say your wife did it all for you ? Anyway at least the offer was there which seems quite positive to me.Halloween isn't very big here in New Zealand so no dressing up for me.

DanielleLee
10-28-2014, 07:28 AM
A few quick clarifications and I'll be own my way...
1) First and foremost, I certainly intended no disrespect to the TS members of the forum.
2) Halloween is an occasion that can be celebrated by any age. It's celebrated by "costume" wearing. Dressing up and pretending to be someone you're not. I'm obviously not a fictional, farm girl from Kansas.
3) To the grandpa's on the thread, hope you have fun with your grandkids :)
4) Barbara... I do hope you start to feel better and the allergy season is quick.
5) Jennifer... Ummm, thanks? I had no idea :brolleyes:

Adriana Moretti
10-28-2014, 07:40 AM
Everyday is halloween...so its no biggie....still a fun time though....i will be working that night.....bling bling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXtX9u7_6F8

Sarasometimes
10-28-2014, 08:14 AM
You could even look at dressing for Halloween if you are a crossdresser, as the one day you go as something male.
Also is dressing in a female costume for Halloween somewhat counter-productive to our goal of acceptance of CDing as the norm/acceptable everyday behavior?
I'm not criticizing those who do it, heck I did it for years, it was just a thought that came to me as I read this thread.

What do others think about this idea?

Nataliebabe
10-28-2014, 09:19 AM
No parties here this year. I am going hunting!

Crissy Kay
10-28-2014, 09:58 AM
I have no plans for Halloween again this year, but one of my friends wants to see me in a cop costume that I got a couple years ago. So I do get to dress up this year after all, just in drab!!!

Amy Lynn3
10-28-2014, 10:08 AM
To add a twist to what Crissy Kay said....you could go as a female cop. Just a thought.:)

mariehart
10-28-2014, 10:59 AM
The last time I dressed up around Halloween was I think in the early nineties. It was as a 'French maid'. Not my choice as it was an office event and all the guys in the office wore the same outfit. I did enjoy it though and received lots of compliments about my legs and I overheard someone say that I 'looked the part'.

Since then I've never been invited to a Halloween party and have never dressed up as anything at all. It's a pity really.

This year I'm going to my sister's with the kids. She lives in a village outside the city where they organise a little event every year. A party for the kids and then trick or treating followed by a gathering by a bonfire (traditional in Ireland) and fireworks (even though they are illegal).

No dressing up for me I'm afraid.

Lorileah
10-28-2014, 11:08 AM
I have been invited to a couple "parties" but they are in bars (strike one) and they involve drunks (strike two) and I would have to drive home and there will be check points (strike three). I am just too pretty to go to jail.

I also won't be answering the door after dark. I don't do candy, so this year it is little rubber duckies. The kids under 5 appreciate them because they last longer than a Tootsie Pop.

Tracii G
10-28-2014, 11:50 AM
Don't do Halloween parties or give out candy so just another day for me.
I rarely drink and can't stand being around a group of drunks.Its always the same everybody is happy at the start then about 1/2 way thru some guy hits in a buddies wife then poo hits the fan.

Nikki A.
10-28-2014, 12:01 PM
I'm working until late on Friday so that kills Halloween. We used to do a party at work, but that's been cancelled this year. So I guess this year is a bust.
I've used previous Halloweens to dress, but unless I'm in "character" I'm beyond just dressing enfemme for Halloween. I do that at other times of the year and mingle with the muggles. But if this is your chance and you want to go for it.

Gina Glowe
10-28-2014, 12:04 PM
I have never had the pleasure of being completely open in public, but i have almost always used Halloween to bolster my wardrobe- "yes ma'am, i am dressing as a woman- can you help me with the look"- its when I buy most of my wigs and heels etc. Hope everyone who can and does go out en femme really appreciates it and has fun.

Savannah_Skye
10-28-2014, 12:29 PM
I try to take advantage of every Halloween but I don't want to draw suspicion so I have skipped a few years. I guess I should try walking poorly in heels too!

docrobbysherry
10-28-2014, 12:39 PM
I'm a CD. If u r one, too, and NOT going out dressed on Halloween you're missing out!

My message to CD's is to go out dressed in a female costume. Dressing as simply a woman on Halloween helps to identify u as a dresser.

I go to costume venues that r not close to home. Doing a good job of dressing up for a party of friends mite simply be "coming out". And, a good way to start trouble with your SO.

I'm 70 and a grandpa, too. Why would I let THAT stop me? Even if my grand kids did live nearby and I did spend H nite with them? I've already attended 3 exciting costume events before Halloween.

On Halloween nite I will be attending a big vanilla costume event at a local bar. Not only will I pass with some folks, even if someone I know sees me they wouldn't recognize me in a million years! Here I am there last year:

AlexisRaeMoon
10-28-2014, 06:09 PM
I did go in a "female" costume this year. It's a party we go to every year, with mostly the same people, and it's adults only. Since it was my second year in a row going in drag, I was definitely worried that people might start to get suspicious. Many of the concerns expressed here are all ones that went through my head and nearly stopped me from going through with it, including worrying about my wife being uncomfortable. Even up to the last minute, putting on my makeup, I almost pulled the plug. But, I knew if I didn't do it, I'd be very disappointed. I'm closeted, so I don't get a chance to out dressed, so I have to take the opportunity when it comes, and there isn't a better one than Halloween.

The one thing I want to address in particular is this idea that you shouldn't try to look "too good" or people might read you a crossdresser (not the first time at "rodeo" as you say). I was really worried about this, because I can't go half-way. I did a "Miss America" thing. I borrowed an evening dress from my wife (with her permission!), shaved, full makeup, realistic wig, and accessorized the hell out of it. In my mind, I was thinking that I'm screaming, "look at me, I'm a crossdresser!" Well, if anyone thought it, they certainly didn't say it. And if they're not going to say it out loud, who cares? Keep in mind, I dressed last year too. So, that's two years in a row, in drag, in public, with mostly the same people. The most I got was, "Oh, you're a woman again."

To top it off someone even asked if my wife did my makeup, and she answered, "No, that's all I did was say he could borrow the dress. He did the makeup, and accessorized it himself."

And did I mention that I was wearing 4" strappy heels?

I'm not saying that you all should just throw caution to the wind and go for it. It just happened to be ok for me. I think part of our concern over this is the fact that, as crossdressers ourselves, we tend to look for them around every corner. For the average person, CD'ing is something that's so far removed from their normal frame of reference, that even when it's staring them in the face, it doesn't cross their mind. It's just an over the top costume. It's the same reason trying to tell your wife by dropping hints doesn't work. Because most women aren't inclined to think about this anyway, so you've got be blunt and direct.

Anyway, I'm really glad I did it. I got to be pretty for a whole evening, and got lots of great comments. I wish I could've recorded them all! Everything from, "you look gorgeous" to "I'm a little uncomfortable with this - you look better than I do!" (Not my wife!). And worrying about my wife being uncomfortable? She could care less. She has a good time wherever she goes, and probably prefers that I was enjoying myself rather than sulking in the corner because I regretted not wearing what I wanted to. Would she have preferred I didn't go in drag? Probably, but she didn't let it ruin her fun. It's one of the things I love about her, she doesn't let her happiness depend on what I'm doing.

Whatever you decide, just make sure it's right for you. Just wanted to share my experience. Happy Halloween!

edit: I realized later that is post probably sounds like I'm bragging - I don't mean to, I just wanted to share a positive experience. I hope it came off that way!

Vanessa5
10-28-2014, 06:18 PM
Well my halloween was on Monday....Got dressed did some errands and came home and snapped some pics..Wish my wife would let me dress for halloween. Would be sooo much fun.

CynthiaD
10-28-2014, 08:02 PM
I'll be handing out candy dressed as a witch this year. Just like the last few years. Going all the way with makeup, nail polish, wig, breastforms, high heels, ... Sometimes I pass, sometimes I don't, sometimes I get funny looks from people who recognize me. Just a normal day.

AletaHawk
10-28-2014, 10:55 PM
I had the perfect opportunity to do so this year, and really, REALLY wanted to, but my wife shut it down. Oh well. Maybe next year.

DebbieL
10-28-2014, 11:25 PM
My wife likes to make quite a production out of Halloween. She decorates the porch and puts on a scary costume. I usually put on something a bit more sexy.
We love watching the kids climb the stairs in terror, often scared by the stuffed rats (real looking), and finally getting the courage to look around the corner.
One year I was the headless brides-maid to her killer bride at the wedding from hell. Another year I was a maid to her vampire, another I was a damsel in distress caught in her spider web. Last year I was the sexy witch to her scary witch at the apothecary where we gave away eyeballs and magic wands (glow sticks).
This year we have limited time - we're taking bits of each year - killer bride, spider, and I'll probably be the killer nurse or a sexy vampire.

Some years, the older kids are more scared of me than her.

MissTee
10-28-2014, 11:33 PM
My wife is comfortable and supportive of my dressing. She even joked with the kids that I would be dressing as her this year. I say joking, but she would so go along with it. I, however, know that I would be outing myself to dress as I normally do. A clowny moo-moo, water balloon boobs, and a dollar store witches wig would be OK. I'd rather do Dracula or something like that.

KaceyR
10-29-2014, 12:49 AM
I wish. Got shifted back to night shifts just in time to not be able to get out to any Halloween shindigs. Had this tigress outfit too... The only slight thing might be if I can take some hours off Fri, get in outfit to meet up with the TG support group...then strip/change in car and go to work (if it wasn't for the tail...could wear it under the jeans and polo shirt :) ). How good can I remove makeup in a car..I may find out :)
I work Sat night too so no partying at GiGis either in costume. depressing.

Ally 2112
10-31-2014, 04:00 PM
I have done it twice the first time was about 15 years ago with my x wife.The second time was about 5 years ago with my x GF even though i enjoyed it both times im not sure i would do it again .At least i got to do it and that seems good enough for me .To those who want to i say go for it and have fun and be safe :)

DanielleLee
11-01-2014, 09:39 AM
Well our party came and went... and I went ahead and made a liar of myself. I ended up going as Dorothy (both female and male versions. I don't recommend halftime wardrobe changes. Leave that to the pros, LOL) with both my wife and son's blessing. My son actually encouraged it. Kids attitudes are amazing with their indifference towards the things we were always told were taboo. Anyway... here are a couple of pics. Thanks for all the feedback and I hope that everyone who decided to partake in Halloween had a great time. :) :) :)