PDA

View Full Version : Incontinence

Persephone
11-02-2014, 02:54 PM
I've been on Estradiol patches for 2~3 months and appear to have a couple of things that I'm wondering about. Dry skin, especially on my palms, and incontinence.

Been on low-dose Spiro for years and have had similar side effects but they have suddenly gotten worse. Could these be side effects of Estradiol? Are they likely to be just temporary?

I have an appointment next week with my endo and will, of course, discuss them with her, but background from the community would help, has anyone else experienced these?

Hugs,
Persephone .

LeaP
11-03-2014, 02:22 PM
I assume you are talking about urinary incontinence ...

Are you actually incontinent or just having to go a lot more frequently? Estradiol has been studied for its effects in treating incontinence, interestingly, as the practice of prescribing for this purpose is somewhat common. But no differences were found vs subjects taking a placebo.

Drier skin is a common side effect of HRT, being a combination of lowering T and raising E.

Joan_CD
11-03-2014, 04:44 PM
Hi Persephone,

Estrogen helps to shrink the prostate and that may cause you to not fully "squeeze" at the end of doing your business. Could that be the issue?

sandra-leigh
11-03-2014, 04:49 PM
I seem to recall that I went through a bit of anal leakage for a time, but I really do not recall what it was associated with. Not estradiol derm. I have gone through a variety of medications in the last few years and it might have been one of them, or possibly it was cypro or finisterid... I don't recall now. I don't think it was spiro.

DebbieL
11-03-2014, 08:16 PM
Persephone,
Both Spiro and Estro can cause shrinking of the prostate. This was yet another blessing to me, and I was grateful to be able to get off of avodart so I could start giving platelets again.

There is a muscle further back called the Keigle (sic). I found that I had to use both prostate and the further back muscles to "hold it" until I could get to the restroom.

The good news is that you can more easily drain out completely. I used to hate doing my business af feeling like I had to go again 10 minutes later.

Talk to your doctor as well. He may want to adjust your spiro dose.