PDA

View Full Version : A town for us

Mollyanne
11-04-2014, 09:03 AM
If there was a town that was established ONLY for the LGBT community, would you live there?????? And if not, why??????

Molly

Annaliese
11-04-2014, 09:10 AM
No I don't think so, to me it would be hiding, I want to live in a place that all people would accept me for who I am. I know I am a Pollyanna. I almost pick Pollyanna as my name.

Mollyanne, I look at you name after I posted, and had to smile.

Amy Lynn3
11-04-2014, 09:14 AM
Molly, I don't think at this time I would. I fit in the "T" section of the LCBT community and I think as a cder I might not be looked upon as a equal by some. Just my two cents.

Jocelyn Quivers
11-04-2014, 09:46 AM
As tempting as it sounds, no, in my wild imagination I'm coming up with scenarios where such a town would eventually end up as something like towns in horror movies like "the wicker man" (not the awful remake but the original), "children of the corn", "bay coven", "the howling" etc. Evolving into scenarios like "appear in male mode you lose a finger on each offense.":eek:

Jill
11-04-2014, 10:05 AM
Honestly, no because I'm a person of balance and CDing is not something I like or want to do ALL the time. It sounds like it would be a fun place to visit though.

Nadine Spirit
11-04-2014, 10:17 AM
I believe that the diversity of humanity is what makes us beautiful. So no, I would not like to live in such a town.

Danitgirl1
11-04-2014, 10:28 AM
Well said Nadine. With you on that!

Kate Simmons
11-04-2014, 11:37 AM
If we all lived in the same place, it would be easier for Bubba to get rid of us. :)

melanie206
11-04-2014, 11:48 AM
Such places have never been good for mankind or the group that is separating itself. Even the Amish have wound up with internal strife. It's the tribal mindset that people need to resist with compassion and acceptance.

Katey888
11-04-2014, 11:52 AM
As tempting as it sounds, no, in my wild imagination I'm coming up with scenarios where such a town would eventually end up as something like towns in horror movies like "the wicker man" (not the awful remake but the original), "children of the corn", "bay coven", "the howling" etc. Evolving into scenarios like "appear in male mode you lose a finger on each offense.":eek:

This and what Kate said...

A worse scenario would be the end of 'Outbreak' as they're about to obliterate the town...

No - Nadine has it right about diversity... it would likely become an LGBT ghetto and that's just not right. Diversity is something to celebrate and rejoice in... :cheer:

Katey x

Tracii G
11-04-2014, 11:58 AM
Not me I like being different.

Krisi
11-04-2014, 12:12 PM
Nope. It would be a strange town indeed. Besides, I don't identify with the "LGBT community".

Alice Torn
11-04-2014, 12:39 PM
Visit at times, but not live there.

Cheryl T
11-04-2014, 12:54 PM
Sorry, no...I prefer the diversity of the real world.

Melissa_59
11-04-2014, 01:02 PM
I see all these "rejoice in diversity" comments, and I have to laugh.

It's not "us" that I worry about, it's the local redneck majority that doesn't "rejoice in diversity" that keeps me from going out, that keeps me from taking a stroll down the street dressed the way I want to be, that keeps me shopping while dressed. You know the ones, the ones who get a bunch of their redneck buddies together in their pig-yep truck and beat the hell out of you for being different.

I don't rejoice in that kind of diversity. Not in the least.

I'd love to live in a community that was accepting of people who are different. I just don't expect to find it in Majoritytown USA. The conservative FUD mongers have ensured that anyone who is different will be ostracised.

I'd really love to live in a community that didn't thug up on people who are different...

~Melissa

Rachelakld
11-04-2014, 01:18 PM
Would it be like a "Normal-phobic" City?
Only lesbians are allowed to work on car engines and have full time jobs while males had to stay home & keep house.
Children who were straight get shamed and bullied at school, then harassed out of town as the get older

The thing I like about my town now, such that I wouldn't move, is I'm allowed to be different

AllieSF
11-04-2014, 01:26 PM
I would not like to live in a city like that. Imagine that city populated by our wonderful members here. We are a mixed bag of people with differing opinions and points of view. We argue here probably more than we do in the real world. Then we would need to govern ourselves. That would be a disaster. We would have fashion police and the moral squad, all telling us how to live our lives. No thanks.

samantha rogers
11-04-2014, 01:49 PM
One problem you might encounter, based upon what I have seen at many TG specific bars and events....lol...too many catchers and not enough pitchers. :tongueout

Dianne S
11-04-2014, 02:05 PM
I wouldn't want that any more than I'd want to live in a gated community. Different types of people spice up life and add excitement; artificially restriciting who you allow to live in your town makes it bland and boring.

Nadine Spirit
11-04-2014, 02:08 PM
I see all these "rejoice in diversity" comments, and I have to laugh.

I'd really love to live in a community that didn't thug up on people who are different...

We are a mixed bag of people with differing opinions and points of view. We argue here probably more than we do in the real world.

Yeah just because we all may be on this board does not mean that we all share the same viewpoints and would all live happily ever after with each other. Maybe we wouldn't beat the crap out of each other, but interestingly enough I did read of a LGBT event where several non-t folks were abusive towards the T's at the event.

Oh and yeah, while crime is certainly a problem and I am not so naive to think that no T is ever harassed but like most crime in the world, I think it is very exaggerated. I keep expecting to encounter it and in 10 years of going out and in being gender non-conforming everyday I have yet to see it. A couple of ignorant rude people, but that has been it! Oh, yeah, I forgot, I am the exception who is just lucky!

Dianne S
11-04-2014, 02:10 PM

My home town (Ottawa, Canada) is such a place. Our province even has human rights regulations specifically prohibiting discrimination on the basis of gender identity and gender expression.

Most large cities in Canada are similarly tolerant, and I bet there are quite a few neighborhoods in US cities that are the same. If it's that important to you, then move to a better place.

NicoleScott
11-04-2014, 03:12 PM
Sure, I'd live in such a place, as long as the non-crossdressers stayed on their side of the tracks. Just kidding, sort of. Just trying to make a point that there is no big happy LGBT community.

Adriana Moretti
11-04-2014, 03:16 PM
you mean like providence town mass?? chelsea in new york, cherry grove on fire island ? new hope P.a and any of the others on this list ?? sure they are not ONLY lgbt.....but they are pretty darn close.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gay_villages

Melissa_59
11-04-2014, 03:31 PM
Oh, yeah, I forgot, I am the exception who is just lucky!

Or perhaps being in California helps. Not so much where I live, and I live here because it's one of the few places that I can afford that isn't overrun with major crime.

The usual warm dry weather is good too, helps with my damaged spine.

~Mel

Tina_gm
11-04-2014, 04:07 PM
you mean like providence town mass?? chelsea in new york, cherry grove on fire island ? new hope P.a and any of the others on this list ?? sure they are not ONLY lgbt.....but they are pretty darn close.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gay_villagesI know that provincetown Mass, which i have been too several times for whale watching is not seedy at all, but other areas can be. Castro street in SF... If I was a young single CDer, it may have some appeal to me. I would not move my family to a place like that, but I can imagine I would probably visit it.

Lorileah
11-04-2014, 04:09 PM
When slavery was abolished and the slaves were "free" to go, they tried this. I know of one town here in Colorado that was established for that reason. Of course the laws were more restrictive then but it is virtually the same. The town did thrive for awhile but crashed miserably after several years (*part was the economy and part was the weather so it wasn't just the isolation).

I don't see this as working for the TG community though. Are we to assume it is only Ts? Then when someone decides to not dress, would they stay there? What about spouses. Do we assume that every person there is attracted to Ts? What exactly would be the economic stimulus? I would guess that in your scenario it would be a broad based population where every job was covered? That would have to be a huge town then.

This sounds more like a fantasy camp than a real town. Consider that the majority, if we believe the posts on this site, of CDs, don't want to dress full time and many swap back and forth quickly.

Would I live there? No. It smacks of segregation even if self imposed.

BOBBI G.
11-04-2014, 04:55 PM
I would have to say no, it would be too boring. The world, at large, is an exciting and confusing place and I kinda like that.

Bobbi

flatlander_48
11-04-2014, 05:22 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gay_villages

I had never seen that list before, but I'm surprised at how many places I've been to. Interesting, I guess I'll have to put a few more on the list.

However, when I've been in areas with high LGBT populations, I have noticed differences. The places just seemed to be more alive and more colorful. The people seem friendlier and more open to interaction. They just don't seem to be as closed off and living within themselves.

From my count, I've worked with people from at least 20 different countries; old, young, male, female and likely other LGBT people who were as closeted as I have been. But, the thing is, a community of LGBT people would NEVER be boring. We come from every background that you can image and probably some that you can't. Every demographic is represented. That's just how it is.

When slavery was abolished and the slaves were "free" to go, they tried this. I know of one town here in Colorado that was established for that reason. Of course the laws were more restrictive then but it is virtually the same. The town did thrive for awhile but crashed miserably after several years (*part was the economy and part was the weather so it wasn't just the isolation).

Look up Rosewood, Florida...

NancyJ
11-04-2014, 05:39 PM
No--because I love straight women. I know a paradox because I think of myself as a lesbian--but what true lesbian is interested in a romance with a CD? (Course for that matter what straight woman wants a romance with a CD?). Nancy

Amy Fakley
11-04-2014, 06:00 PM
I'd just like to live I a place that's not batsh*t insane for once in my life. A place where people are just nice to eachother, not because there is some law saying they have to, but just because assholery is something that is frowned upon in the culture at least to the extent that crossdressing is in the the world I live in now.

while I'm at it, in fantasy land ... let's make it a place where school teachers are paid like 4 star generals, and college is free to everyone. Also healthcare. And childcare. And seniorcare. Because those are the things that are important to every human there ever was, not just the rich ones.

It wouldn't be a place that even cared who you were, gender or otherwise because that would just be rude.

Basically I guess I wanna live in lake wobegone except In Denmark or something, lol.

Erica Marie
11-04-2014, 06:39 PM
Not sure if I would live there but it sure would be a great place to vacation. I would prefer if rest of the world would just accept us for who we are.

lexivanderpump
11-05-2014, 01:01 AM
Obviously you've never been to Palm Springs, CA. LOL. This is the place you speak of.

Seriously though, the answer is no. As long as you have "different" groups, you will never be fully accepted. Gay pride parade. Have you ever heard of a Straight Pride Parade? Black History Month. Have you ever heard of White History Month? Society creates these "groups" and "different" organizations. Guess what? People will treat you different because of it. You will never be fully accepted as long as you keep "separating" yourself from the "mainstream" .

Love,
Lexi V.

Vala
11-05-2014, 01:56 AM
I would never want to live in such a place. And I believe that the idea is a bad one. Closed communities in any form (lgbt, Christian, moslim, black, white, etc. Etc.) Are awful for acceptance and only drive people further apart.

Melissa Rose
11-05-2014, 02:20 AM
Absolutely not. I enjoy experiencing all the world has to offer and not being limited by borders especially when exclusion is being used to create the borders (i.e., non-LGBT are not welcome). I very rarely go to specific LGBT places, would feel stifled being limited to only these places and greatly prefer the much better mainstream places. One difference for me is I am essentially full time. I would not trade my work colleagues and workplace of any others. I would not be able to work there if I was stuck in a LGBT town.

LilSissyStevie
11-05-2014, 02:58 AM
Obviously you've never been to Palm Springs, CA. LOL. This is the place you speak of.

You took the words right out of my mouth! You can throw in Cathedral City, too. Then there is West Hollywood. Heck, every major city has it's LGBT ghetto. Hillcrest in San Diego, for instance.

This makes me think of a song:D

Somewhere (There's a Place for Us)
http://youtu.be/-BQMgCy-n6U

Nikki.Kontos
11-05-2014, 03:09 AM
Yeah I would have to be in the no boat aswell, wouldn't want to be confined, enjoy doing what I do to much!

Marcelle
11-05-2014, 05:10 AM
Goodness no. I prefer life outside in the real world. Besides if we created a town how long would it be before the ruling council of "mean girls" would be advocating what not to wear and what is age appropriate . . . nope I'll stay in the Vanilla world :tongueout

Hugs

Isha

Beverley Sims
11-05-2014, 06:21 AM
You have to get out....
Try working in a University for twenty years.....

heather ann martin
11-05-2014, 07:34 AM
Most definitely not!

samantha rogers
11-05-2014, 08:11 AM
Mean girls.....haha....cracked me up, Isha! Oh, my, I needed a laugh this morning...thanks!

Dianne S
11-05-2014, 08:24 AM
Have you ever heard of a Straight Pride Parade? Black History Month. Have you ever heard of White History Month?

No, but that's because historically, whites and straights have not been marginalized and persecuted, whereas blacks and gays have. You cannot compare the two sets of groups.

You will never be fully accepted as long as you keep "separating" yourself from the "mainstream"

That's a very sad thought. Every person is unique and everyone is different in some way from the "mainstream". I don't see why we can't be fully accepted even if we're different.

Adriana Moretti
11-05-2014, 08:58 AM
Goodness no. I prefer life outside in the real world. Besides if we created a town how long would it be before the ruling council of "mean girls" would be advocating what not to wear and what is age appropriate . . . nope I'll stay in the Vanilla world :tongueout

Hugs

Isha

On Wednesday's We Wear Pink.....sorry I had to go there with a Quote from Mean Girls.

Krisi
11-05-2014, 10:14 AM
You realize, there are many laws (in the USA at least) that would prohibit restricting a town to any specific sexual orientation or other similar group.

As I posted above, no, I would not want to live there. I am happy where I am with people of all sorts.

Ceera
11-05-2014, 10:20 AM
No. I only plan to live part of my life en-femme, so living in a town where being my male self would be 'wrong' wouldn't work for me. I'm bi, but expect to still have a fair amount of straight relationships for the remainder of my life. I wouldn't want to feel pressured into seeking gay relationships or into crossdressing full time, no matter how much I enjoy either.

sherri
11-05-2014, 04:56 PM
Based on my own experiences and observations in our local lgbt community, I'm sure of one thing: such a place would be a hot mess in nothing flat. ;-)

Evelyn S
11-05-2014, 05:35 PM
No, I am comfortable where I currently live, and am content just trying to make it a better place to live.

Mink
11-05-2014, 07:01 PM
"the wicker man" (not the awful remake but the original)

one of the few cases where the remake is better than the original!

sucha great movie!

the rage of the cage!

also see: Solaris remake!

Wizard of Oz remake (1939)

The Thing remake from the 80s

the list goes on and on!

flatlander_48
11-05-2014, 08:33 PM

Seriously though, the answer is no. As long as you have "different" groups, you will never be fully accepted. Gay pride parade. Have you ever heard of a Straight Pride Parade? Black History Month. Have you ever heard of White History Month? Society creates these "groups" and "different" organizations. Guess what? People will treat you different because of it. You will never be fully accepted as long as you keep "separating" yourself from the "mainstream" .

Love,
Lexi V.

Patently not true.

If I were to list ALL of my identities, and you did the same, I'll bet it would very clear that we are VERY different. People have always compartmentized their lives to some extent and around MANY different activities and identities. You know, if I was interested in building model trains, I certainly would not seek out a group that rallied around restoring Packards.

Difference is something to be recognized and appreciated; not homogenized.

But consider this:

Why Are You Here? Aren't you separating yourself from the Mainstream? The truth is that the Mainstream does NOT embrace our identity. You can't get the kind of support offered here out in the Mainstream, can you? This is a place to recharge and regroup between forays into the real world. That's one of the reasons why it exists. No one gets homogenized here.

Mink
11-05-2014, 08:49 PM
and who the heck wants to float down the main stream?

their waters are dirty!

i'd rather rest and relax and swim in the backwaters!

where the rivers run pure!

eyah!

BLUE ORCHID
11-05-2014, 09:09 PM
Hi Molly Anne, It would be fun for a little while but I'm sure that it would soon get boring quickly.:daydreaming:

MelanieAnne
11-05-2014, 09:51 PM
Might be nice to visit a place like that, get a room, and go out dressed a few times. But I wouldn't want to live there.

Jocelyn Quivers
11-06-2014, 12:08 PM
one of the few cases where the remake is better than the original!

sucha great movie!

the rage of the cage!

also see: Solaris remake!

Wizard of Oz remake (1939)

The Thing remake from the 80s

the list goes on and on!

The Nicholas Cage version is better?:eek: Maybe in a it's so bad it's good (sort of like Battlefield Earth) kind of way!! :devil: The Thing was good, but the original was still better.

Better yet, another Howling Remake. Based off the first Howling movie except this time all of the werewolves are TG, which causes problems for all of us MTF's trying to pass, but good for the local town electrolysis and laser tech's after every full moon. As well as razor companies.