PDA

View Full Version : Ministry but not religion

Bria
11-04-2014, 11:21 AM
I've been thinking about this subject for a while, but when I read Ms Val's most recent post I had to put in in writing. When we use the word ministry we most often think of a religious person or activity, however in a true sense what we do here is to minister to each other, and that's what Ms Val is saying. We mutually minister to those in the hospital, those recovering from physical illness, those suffering from mental anguishes, those experiencing stress in their personal relationships with SOs and family members, and those on the road to self discovery.

We say that this forum is a great support group, which is true, and is this not the essence of ministry? We accept one another with out judging, helping each to find their place in this confusing world.

So thanks to all here as we all contribute our little bit to each other, thanks to the administrators and moderators who make this forum possible. Without them we could support and minister to each other.

We are an amazingly diverse group spanning the globe, occupations, education and BTW gender expressions. I have been greatly enriched during my time here, THANKS.

Hugs, Bria

Tracii G
11-04-2014, 12:12 PM
Who would be the Prime Minister here then Karren Hutton? Ha ha.
Ministry is either religious or governmental I would consider this place a support group.
I am thankful I found this site because it has helped me tremendously.

Annaliese
11-04-2014, 12:13 PM
True, we also cross borders, sister have help me from all over the world.

Alice Torn
11-04-2014, 12:36 PM
TraciiG Karren may have a little difficulty ministering to those who love jeans, though!LOL

docrobbysherry
11-04-2014, 12:44 PM
I guess we'll need to elect a Minister of Defense and the Interior, etc., etc., here then?

Very appropriate post as I head to the polls in an hour.

Kate Simmons
11-04-2014, 01:22 PM
Regardless of what you call it, I'm always here for my friends.:battingeyelashes::)

Eringirl
11-04-2014, 03:18 PM
To continue the metaphor....this place has literally been my salvation. So much support and great contributions to everyone, but in particular many here have taken the time to PM with their thoughts and displays of kindness, guidance and caring. My thanks to everyone....

:hugs:
Erin

BOBBI G.
11-04-2014, 04:48 PM
A ministry can be many things, from standing in front of a gathering and giving motivational talks, to physically healing someone, to merely sitting with someone and letting them talk with another human being. In the case of this forum, some of this is done with a key stroke. When I turned 69, I actually sat down and read that Big book that everyone has, and few know there is writing on the pages,Some can repeat phrases they have had repeated to them during their lives, and some let us know what is right and wrong( in their eyes). But after reading and understanding what I read, I firmly believe we are all ministers. We offer advice and sometimes just our opinions, but if nothing else, it lets the other person know we care and they are not really alone. Folks that is ministry, helping another person reaching out for recognition.
I'm now getting off my soap-box, and thanking everyone on this forum and no longer here, for helping me get where I am today.

Bobbi
I'm now 71 and I try to practice this on a continual basis in my daily life.

Rachael Leigh
11-04-2014, 05:12 PM
Bria , I think this is so true for me I've connected with a few here who have very similar relationships and issues so it's been a big help.

Maria 60
11-04-2014, 05:32 PM
This site is the world to me, I wouldn't be where I was today without it. I am more confident and more complete since being here, and thanks to you for reminding me.

mechamoose
11-04-2014, 07:15 PM
I'm Wiccan. We are all our own clergy. We each have our own relationship to The Divine.

We are all out own prophets and preachers.

Belief in yourself is the first thing. Once that is there. You can help others. That is ministering. Teach the good word. Be kind. Live the life your faith exemplifies.. Be an example.

ThAt is the best that you can do.

cassandra54
11-04-2014, 09:08 PM
Wow. Miracles happen everywhere. This might be a little long, but try to keep up. I've felt a calling many times in my life. About 15 years ago, I actually wanted to become an ordained minister. I discussed this with a minister at my church and he wasn't very helpful. I began to realize that my calling was not to serve in the pulpit, but rather in the lives of people who crossed my path. In some ways, my life has kind of been like the movie Michael.

There is not doubt in my mind that the last 12 years of my life I was there to serve and minister to a woman who died earlier this year. She not only had emotional issues, but eventually died of Leukemia. I was the only one there for her. I even officiated at her second memorial service, where we live. I also came to understand that it was not meant to be for our relationship to be romantic and any expectations that I had in that area were selfish.

I know this is true, because my life is truly blessed. Because I stayed with her, I now own a home and have enough to retire on. My life wasn't always easy with her and I struggled to find a way to justify my presence in her life. Even though she was optimistic about her recovery, I knew she was not long for this world.

I knew that there would be another journey for me or a spiritual mission as it were. Earlier this year, I met a really terrific lady. She's fallen head-over heels madly in love with me. She's helped me with so many things, including taking my dressing to levels I never thought possible. I've never really been happy living in Arizona for a number of reasons. I struggle with this, because for me to move out of Arizona would mean that my new GF would not be able to join me. I told her early on in our relationship about what I thought was my mission in life. I told her that I may not be in her life forever because of that. Naturally, she was pretty upset about me moving away, but she has come to accept it and be glad for the time that we have togehter. So why do I know it's time to move on?

I went to church with her about two months ago. The pastor's sermon was about Jonah, who was reluctant to do what he was supposed to and went off in a boat, where the people of the boat threw him overboard, where he was eaten by a whale and later spit up on the beach. It really resonated with me and they closed the service with one of my favorite hymns. Who knew. But what topped it off was when we left, we were stopped in traffic in front of another church. And what did the sign say? The story of Jonah. At very moment the song "Rescue me" by Fontella Bass comes on the radio. I think it was one of the moments in my life where I felt like I was give direction and it was very profound.

So with a heavy heart, I am moving on. Awaiting the next mission, whatever that might be. I do try to share what I've learned here with others. There has been so much, and yes it is a great ministry.

And the church that I attended where I wanted to become a member of the clergy? Not there for many years. It's kind of like this, if you're physically fit, you don't' have to go to a gym all the time.