PDA

View Full Version : Ways people can act.

Rachel_B
11-04-2014, 11:14 PM
I have a wonderful story to share:

Ok to start it off, I'll give a little backstory. For the past month or so, I was having trouble reading power point to get notes from during one of my college classes. So one day, I went to find out about getting an eye exam. The first time I went, I decided I would wait until I get my vision insurance. This took place in late September or early October.

Now fast forward to today, I went in and started looking at frames a little bit and some asked if I needed help. I asked when I would get my vision insurance and was told that I would get it in January. That was a little to long of a wait for me and I decided to get the exam anyway. So I get brought back to the waiting area and get handed some paperwork to fill out. The first thing I notice is the: M or F spot which I choose to leave until the end because I didn't know how to answer it. I finish the rest of the paperwork and get back to that on area. I still had a hard time picking M or F because while I appear as female (I choose to do this for school), I'm still a male. In the end, I picked F just because that is how I appear and how the employee in the Wal-Mart vision center has accepted me. After the exam, I found out that while I really didn't need glasses on a daily basis (20/20 in one eye and 20/30 in another with a slight astigmatism in my right eye); I just need help in fixing my blurry vision. So after the exam, I was brought back out to look at frames. Was I taken to the mens section? NOPE turned right around to look at the WOMEN'S frames! The associate helped explain the type of lens I can could get and the prices of the women's frames and never hinted at looking at the men's frames. So after I pick out the frame I wanted, something cheap until I get my vision insurance we sat down to do some other things. I was really happy with out I was being treated and I don't do anything extra to present as a female. The associate thought she did something wrong and asked for another associate to help her. The two talked a bit and the associate that came over to help asked the first one "Are these hers?" and while not visibly, I felt like I was on the moon with this comment. Sorry for being long but I wanted to share it.

I'm not sure if this has been asked or not but what would you do if you had to select M or F on some paperwork and you were presenting as a female?

Kim_Bitzflick
11-05-2014, 12:19 AM
It depends. For medical issues, M for sure. A contest entry I'd put a F.

docrobbysherry
11-05-2014, 01:58 AM
Sounds like u have a good time when you're out dressed, Rachel? Good for u!

Many CD's prefer NOT to go shopping, to lunch at Wendy's, etc. dressed. I can't pass so I certainly don't.

Multiply your "M or F" on the paper times 100. Because that's how many gender issues mite come up for me on even a short trip to a store. And, for every politically correct, "she", I mite hear? I have to suffer dozens of rolled eyes and dirty looks!

Teresa
11-05-2014, 05:15 AM
Rachel,
I don't actually recall being asked gender or given the option on my eye tests, I guess the interviewer just fills in the appropriate boxes !
One thing that surprises me is so few women choose light feminine frames many appear to choose almost unisex ones ! I hate heavy frames, I prefer the thinnest side arms I can find so I don't feel I'm wearing blinkers ! Recently I picked up my wife's by mistake, optically they were similar to mine and made the comment about going unisex and sharing glasses ! I just got a glare back on that one ! I just shrugged my shoulders and commented that I was trying to save money !

Marcelle
11-05-2014, 05:15 AM
Hi Rachel,

For me I would choose "M" on any official documentation regardless of how I am dressed as I am after all "male". However for a fun contest/draw I have picked "F" or had it checked by the person. Glad you got some glasses and had a good experience doing so.

Hugs

Isha

charlenesomeone
11-05-2014, 05:32 AM
Rachel, I just got female glasses and frame, progressive lens and postage for 68 online.
Just have your prescription.
And had them sent to my female name but different address.
I agree with Isha, if its official, then your M. If all yours, whatever puts a smile on your face.

Beverley Sims
11-05-2014, 06:15 AM
I would choose as to the way I was presenting.

kimdl93
11-05-2014, 07:35 AM
Yup, depends on the paperwork. For legal documents or medical, I mark M but otherwise I mark F.

Evelyn S
11-05-2014, 05:26 PM
Helpful sales associates can turn a good experience into a great one. The "Are these hers" comment must have been wonderful to hear; getting that kind of validation from strangers is awesome.

Sarina Curtis
11-06-2014, 09:20 AM
I'd agree with most here. If it's something official or especially medical, then the M gets it. If it was something for fun, then maybe the F. One of the nice things about being in Japan is that I usually have to look at some of the women's frames as the men's frames are often too wide for my narrow mug!!

I Am Paula
11-06-2014, 09:46 AM
Two forms I have had to fill out surprised me. At the cosmetic clinic I got some juvederm, the choices were M,F, FtM, MtF. At the laser clinic they offered M, F, other.
Finally, at the plastic surgery clinic, they asked, on their intake forms- Please refer to me as__________________and use M,F pronouns.

I thought all of these were forward thinking, and polite, not to mention a sign of things to come.

Amy Lynn3
11-06-2014, 10:11 AM
I agree with what Kim said.