PDA

View Full Version : "Let Me Call You Sweetheart..." (GGs please read too!)

Persephone
11-08-2014, 04:38 PM
For musical accompanyment to this post, "Let Me Call You Sweetheart" by The Valentine's Day Barbershop Quartet Click Here (contains audio) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSAWtWTUrhE).

I wrote up the story of how my car ended up at the mechanic's a few days ago (click here (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?220840-A-Nighttime-Adventure&highlight=towed)). They fixed it the next day so, in the afternoon, I headed over to pick it up.

Since my mechanic only knows me en femme I was dressed in capris and a women's t-shirt, appropriate casual makeup and hair. After my mechanic told me about what had been wrong (bad alternator) I went around the corner to the other side of the shop to pay up.

The cashier, an anonymous young man with muscles and lots of ink, said "How can I help you, Ma'm." I gave him my femme name and he found my bill, ran my credit card, marked my copy as "paid," and, as he handied it to me, without any hint of sarcasm nor any other unusual emotion, said, "There you go, Sweetheart!"

My spouse tells me this sort of thing doesn't often happen to her anywhere so I have no idea why it sometimes happens to me. I'd especially appreciate input from our forum GGs. Do you get called "Honey," "Sweetheart" and other terms of endearment as you go about your day?

Since it has taken me a couple of days to write this up I thought I'd throw in a couple more annecdotes that took place over the following couple of days.

My spouse and I and a group of friends were at a local gastropub. I headed over to the lady's room, a "one hole" affair, and found the door locked. While waiting I was joined by another woman who was waiting a few feet behind me in the cluttered hallway. After a while the door opened and a man stepped out! She and I looked at each other and shrugged a "What the Hell?" kinda look. Insult to injury, when I went into the restroom I found that he had left the seat up!

Things move slowly, but they do move. I "came out" to my insurance agent and a couple of days later I got a phone call from one of his assistants who casually began, "Hi Barbara, I have a quick question about one of your medications..."

A few minutes later the phone rang again, one of those automated calls to remind me of a doctor's appointment, "This is to remind... Barbara... of an appointment on Monday..."

Life is good!

Hugs,
Barbara (Persephone).

Mimi
11-08-2014, 04:44 PM
I was called "hon" just the other day. It was just in passing, I think I was probably paying for something and they said "thanks, hon". I remember thinking that the person was actually younger than me, so it wasn't like an older person using a term of endearment. It might be cultural, though--it seems like some people always use the term "hon" while I think of "Sweetheart" as something an Australian here in the States would say. But maybe I've seen too many Crocodile Dundee movies. :)

Andy66
11-08-2014, 05:58 PM
I get called hon, sweetheart, etc. fairly often, especially by people in service industries such as store clerks and waitresses.

Allisa
11-08-2014, 06:55 PM
I 'm guilty of using that and other terms but they really have no significance other than a reference to what I perceive as the persons gender, and on that note I am often refered to by those same metaphors by woman in the service industries(waitresses,SA's,etc.)is that they perceive me as effeminate(?) in my mannerisms or am I putting out a vibe of some kind?, of course I'm talking while dressed as my normal male self. I never take offense but I do have a chuckle once in a while, if only they knew!

Dianne S
11-08-2014, 10:16 PM
I lived in Newfoundland about 25 years ago. Even as a male, I'd routinely be called "Honey", "Me love", "Me dear" and even occasionally "Ducky". Just a very different culture. :)

Hasn't happened to me yet presenting as a woman, though...

sabrinaedwards
11-08-2014, 11:04 PM
Here in the South, it is common to address others as "sweetheart" or other terms of endearment. I find it refreshing! Even when in total male mode, I have had female sales assistants address me as "sweetie"
Love, Sabrina

Amy Lynn3
11-08-2014, 11:10 PM
What Andy said.

Anna H
11-09-2014, 12:26 AM
ya'll babes can call me anything you want to...lol!

as long as no one is mean to me...Kate's Very Happy!

~♥~

:)

Marcelle
11-09-2014, 06:10 AM
Hi Barbara,

I do get the occasional "hon", "dear" from women SAs (normally older) when I am out and about "en femme". I have only received one from a man but I think that was a case of mistaken identity. I was at Home Depot looking for some piping and it just so happened that there were a lot of women in that aisle. The SA (an older man) was asking the women if they needed help with anything went something like this "Can I help you find something my dear" (from the accent you could tell the gentleman was from Newfoundland). The woman beside me declined assistance and he turned to me (I was dressed in yoga pants, sandals and top) . . . "How about you my dear are you looking for something in particular?" Now up until that point I fully believed I was blending but when I indicated (in my best femme voice) I had found what I was looking for you could see the moment of confusion then he smiled and said "Well I'll be . . . have a nice day miss" and walked on (he was being genuine and not sarcastic in any manner). I have to say that was the sweetest case of mistaken identity ever. :battingeyelashes:

Hugs

Isha

Claire Cook
11-09-2014, 09:09 AM
Hi Barb,

I get this a lot -- "Hon, sweetie, dear" and "Ma'am". But a couple of points. First, this part of Florida is still the South, and it's not uncommon for women -- especially older ones like us -- to be addressed this way. (When dressed, I'll call GG's "Hon" in conversation. But sometimes I find myself doing this in drab. :heehee:) It's funny that GG's who know Claire but see me in drab do the same ("Hon" and "Sweetie"). And I do get addressed as "Hon" even in drab by SA'a who (I think) don't know about me. But Funny part #2 -- I think this happens to me more than to my wife. Does anyone else find this?

Beverley Sims
11-09-2014, 09:10 AM
I have had "sweetheart" from redneck types, a form of sarcasm.

Di
11-09-2014, 12:39 PM
I say hon ALOT esp if I feel close to you....so guilty:o
I know alot here say they hate it but....I am just being me.

A lady my daughter works with calls everyone sweetie and I always think that is just her way....if she does not say it then lol she has a problem with you.

So it's all good hon:thumbsup:

Tracii G
11-09-2014, 03:05 PM
I get ma'am'd, honey'd a lot by GG and dear, sweetheart on occasion in either mode.
Around here its commonplace and your gender has nothing to do with it people here are just that friendly.

Cheryl Ann Owens
11-09-2014, 03:23 PM
In drab, I've been called "hon" or "sweetie" but only by women. I suppose the terms are universal in many cases except when dealing with a professional service person as an insurance or medical professional.

Way back when I had my hair styled in a curly perm when it was fashionable for guys, a parking lot attendant "mamed" me before he saw my face while I was backing up my car. (It was dark.) He quickly apologized and I said, "No problem." It was cool though!

Cheryl

Lorileah
11-09-2014, 03:31 PM
I get "hey baby" and "Oooo Mama"a bit...maybe I hang out at the wrong places? I also get some names behind my back

Cheryl Ann Owens
11-09-2014, 06:23 PM
Well Lorileah, Seeing your photo I'm not a bit surprised! Take it as an affirmation!

Cheryl

Eryn
11-09-2014, 06:58 PM
Well, I get miss-ed. and ma'am-ed in male mode and very occasionally sir-ed while dressed. it's all good, though.

Sweetheart, dear, hon, etc. are all part of the landscape. In informal situations they are all proper.

Tina B.
11-10-2014, 09:30 AM
Over the years my wife as worked retail, and as a waitress, and also in Social Services. She Honeys everyone male and female alike.
And women she knows well, they are Sweetie, I think, it's easier than remembering all of those names.

kimdl93
11-10-2014, 07:49 PM
Down here in Texas I've found its not uncommon to be called honey or sweetheart, regardless of how I'm dressed. I think it's a cultural thang.