PDA

View Full Version : Taking photos with vanilla strangers when out?

docrobbysherry
11-12-2014, 12:31 PM
This thread was inspired by another thread about the ages of those who r and aren't tolerant of dressers.:straightface:

I don't have enuff personal experience being out dressed to have an opinion about that. But, I have had requests to take photos with many vanillas when out dressed. Countless ones with other costumed folks just over this Halloween. I attended 6 public events.:battingeyelashes:

One thing seems to be common in ALL of my photos taken with STRANGERS when out dressed:
The vanillas who asked for photos of, or with, Sherry all looked under 40!:eek:
I draw no conclusions from that.:straightface:

But, it made me wonder if others have had similar experiences? If you've posed for, or with, strangers for photos when out, how old were they generally?

Photos with strangers only, please. Friends/acquaintances don't count!:thumbsdn:

Lorileah
11-12-2014, 01:16 PM
Wait! Do you mean only strangers can post? :)

Being an entertainer I get asked if people can have their photo taken with me a lot. Of course I always say...yes. I am sure there are photos of me all over facebook from people I don't know

Kate Simmons
11-12-2014, 02:36 PM
I usually infer to others if they want a pic of me or me to pose with them, they will have to pay me. That usually settles that bumpkin. :heehee::)

Jaylyn
11-12-2014, 02:55 PM
Never been asked to pose for strangers, guess I'm not photogenic but do have a photos taken of me by me so in my mind I'm very photogenic.
Really very interesting about the age thing. Maybe the younger generation Sherry are not so judgmental. Who knows maybe they think it's a novelty to be posed with what they consider out of the ordinary, also could be they consider themselves to be the cool ones showing how accepting of every one they are.

Katey888
11-12-2014, 03:24 PM
First of all Sherry, you are special, even amongst us... :) and to some extent that does give you a bit of an X-factor and celebrity for younger folk...

As an observation, generally older folk do become more set in their ways as they age (not everyone...) and with the older generation that would tend to reinforce the gender binary and stigma towards us poor TG folk just doing abnormal things... younger folk are more accepting of sexual, lifestyle, presentational and - probably - gender variance - so let's hope they'll all carry that forward into later life as well... :yahoo:

Let's hear it for us <relative> oldies who can be accepting of others, rock that alternative lifestyle (even if part-time) AND remember cameras where photos couldn't be seen until days or even weeks after you had actually taken them... :lol:

Feeling Slightly DeKrepit Katey x

Christie ann
11-12-2014, 03:49 PM
Posed pictures no. Just those sneaky photos taken with their phone when they think I don't notice.

binair10
11-13-2014, 09:03 AM
I hate having my photo taken in male mode.
However, I love to be photographed in Julie mode, by anyone, anywhere at anytime.

Julie.

docrobbysherry
11-13-2014, 12:37 PM
Lorileah, u didn't mention the ages of those that take photos with u. Inquiring minds want to know!:straightface:

Altho, young people may be more accepting of us, Katey? They may also like photos of themselves more than oldsters do. I'm 70 and avoid photos of my male self whenever possible.:doh:

But, I'm NOT trying to figure out why? Just IF!

IF younger folks like pics of/with us more than oldsters do?:brolleyes:

AngelaYVR
11-13-2014, 01:01 PM
I think younger people may be looking for something interesting to put on facebook.

Jodi
11-13-2014, 03:59 PM
I've had a couple of requests from strawberry and chocolate strangers, but never vanilla.

Jodi

Lorileah
11-13-2014, 04:21 PM
Lorileah, u didn't mention the ages of those that take photos with u. Inquiring minds want to know!:straightface:

There is no age range or cross section. I have had photos taken with 20 somethings (in fact about two months ago there was a whole group of singles who were from all over the world who wanted me in their photos) to women older than I am (39 since you have to ask). I have had moms pose with me and I have had grandmoms (the oldest I can remember was in her 70's). I don't usually get copies of the photos but on occasion they will forward it to my phone or email.

I have "drag" friends who get asked a lot at shows or things like street fairs.

This is an unfair comparison though because I am an entertainer and the people who ask are usually there for my show. I am a bit of an anomaly as I look very feminine and sing like a guy. You wouldn't believe how many videos I have seen people take and I am sure they go by email or facebook with the tagline..."Check this out!" :)

Launa
11-13-2014, 09:49 PM
I will answer this question and for the record I was the one that started that thread but the thread was closed before I could get home from work and respond back to all my fans!

I have had hundreds of photos taken with folks from everywhere even some tourists from China last summer and it was a hoot. One of the last events I was at was a Cancer fundraiser for women that had gone through breast cancer treatment. It was a black tie affair and a venetian masquerade gala. I went there with my friend who is transitioning and we were the only ones there from "our walk of life." This was not an LGBT sponsored event at all it was within the business community to raise money for these strong beautiful women. I was asked to be in pictures with a lot of folks and the only time I ever "decline photos" including this night was when the big heavy artillery came out. I mean those BIG cameras and the guys that are reporting for our newspapers etc. That's where I have to say no unfortunately I will not be able to pose for you...... Except last Halloween night I won first prize at a costume contest and had my pictures taken with OUT TV Canada. I had a few drinks into me at that point but I know I'm playing with fire. LOL
Anyway back to your question on this night I had my pics taked with guys aged 20 - 40 years old and a lot of women aged 20-60 years old. The only people that didn't care for my presence were the husbands that were 50 years+. They had to tolerate the two us of course but you could tell for the most part that was it. They did not care for us being there not that they were threatening in anyway to me or could do anything about it but I sure had a lot of young men and their friends yell at me to come over and talk to them with their groups of friends and they didn't even ask me why do I do this? They would ask me to join in conversations as if I was just another dude, chic or person. THEY DIDN"T CARE. A few of them said we need folks like you around to shake this stiff world up a bit.
Again back to your question no photos were taken with men over the age of 50 years and that's a fact. As I said the older straight men didn't care for our presence. The younger men would give me the nod of approval to keep it up.

Also for the record I'm in the 50+ age bracket.

Cheers Launa

Launa
11-13-2014, 10:15 PM
First of all Sherry, you are special, even amongst us... :) and to some extent that does give you a bit of an X-factor and celebrity for younger folk...

As an observation, generally older folk do become more set in their ways as they age (not everyone...) and with the older generation that would tend to reinforce the gender binary and stigma towards us poor TG folk just doing abnormal things... younger folk are more accepting of sexual, lifestyle, presentational and - probably - gender variance - so let's hope they'll all carry that forward into later life as well... :yahoo:

Let's hear it for us <relative> oldies who can be accepting of others, rock that alternative lifestyle (even if part-time) AND remember cameras where photos couldn't be seen until days or even weeks after you had actually taken them... :lol:

Feeling Slightly DeKrepit Katey x

HERE, HERE! or is it HEAR, HEAR? LOL

Launa

Majella St Gerard
11-15-2014, 12:11 AM
I get asked for a picture all the time, I would say the age range is late 30's early 40's. I haven't said no yet.