PDA

View Full Version : In Public vs. Camera Phones, What's Your Experience?

jjjjohanne
11-20-2014, 07:10 AM
Do you see people trying to get a picture of you when you are out?

One of my biggest worries when I go out crossdressed is that people will take my picture. However, I have only seen a couple teenagers on one occasion try to get a clear line of sight. I think I thwarted that effort. But I still worry about it. Is it a real problem? I go out during school hours, normally, so I don't see many teens. The adults who see me do not seem to whip out their phones.

njcddresser
11-20-2014, 07:12 AM
Not something I've ever worried about

Krisi
11-20-2014, 07:25 AM
Are you easily recognized when crossdressed or not? Do you just slap on a pair of boobs, dress and heels? Do you believe you pass as a woman, might pass as a woman, or there's no chance you will be mistaken for a woman?

If you are recognizable as your male self, that could be a concern because the photos could end up in your employer or spouse's hands or on the Internet. You should be aware though that any expectation of privacy while in public is unrealistic. Gas up your car or go to an ATM and you are being photographed. Most retail stors have cameras all over, even covering parking lots.

If you're properly done up as a woman, it shouldn't matter because all they are getting is a photo of a woman they don't know. Or a crossdresser they don't know depending on your presentation.

kimdl93
11-20-2014, 07:28 AM
I've only been photographed twice in public that I'm aware of. Once with Michelle and another time posing with the lady who does my dry cleaning.

Majella St Gerard
11-20-2014, 07:29 AM
it's happened to me before, most of the time people will come up to me and ask if they can take my pic.

Shelly Preston
11-20-2014, 07:35 AM
In most areas people are taking photos of themselves or friends.

Yes some places have lots of CCTV but that is there to help protect everyone.

Unless your really stand out no one will be taking your picture.

Melissa_Rose
11-20-2014, 08:01 AM
I have noticed a teenager trying to discretely take a picture. But I was completely on drab and getting a pedicure/manicure with color. I wanted to tell her that she could get a better picture if she would come closer and hold the camera still.. but I didn't. Just smiled at her instead.

Kate Simmons
11-20-2014, 08:15 AM
Seems to me in this day and age the only real way to ensure our picture isn't taken is to stay home. Cameras are everywhere, so if we are camera shy or don't want to be photographed we are in trouble.:)

~Joanne~
11-20-2014, 08:33 AM
I can see this being a legit concern. We all know that there are cameras every where to "supposively" protect you and there's not really a way around that unless, like stated above, you stay home. I am sure though that most of the footage isn't reviewed unless there is a reason to be and even then, they don't take all that great of a picture that much detail will be obtained. They will probably just see a woman unless they are specifically looking for something else.

I can see the people part being a bit more problematic as you don't know what their intent is or the reasoning of taking the photo in the first place unless you accidentally photo bomb them. If you see someone pulling out a phone (which for the most part they always have their phones out all the time to begin with) just turn your back to them.

CD Tammy
11-20-2014, 08:57 AM
Since I'm not courageous enough to dress in public it hasn't happened to me. But I was in Centennial Park in Atlanta one day when crossdresser walked by. Tall, legs that went on forever, tight figure, sexy outfit. That's when I noticed three different people taking photos with cell phones of her. She continued on either oblivious to the attention or enjoying it. So, I do imagine that it happens a lot. Especially if it is obvious that a person is a CD. This gurl was obvious because she was at least 6'4" plus those 4" spiked heels and well, she had a beard.

stacycoral
11-20-2014, 09:03 AM
I been there, I was at the movies a couple of years ago, and went I left I do believe there was a couple of teenage girls with their phones trying to get pictures. I at the age I really don't care, I will be me. Your right too many d-- cell phones, life was so much better when there was no cell phones. hugs.

Sarasometimes
11-20-2014, 09:10 AM
I think if you draw attention in public for whatever reason you run the risk of being photographed. I aim to blend so even if I'm read I look like either a masculine looking female or a crossdresser. The OP mentions teens and teen girls are ones to avoid on many levels from my experience.
Another consideration is that if I'm out shopping I will skip the 4" heels to have more mobility and to draw less attention.

Jorja
11-20-2014, 09:20 AM
In this day and age of cameras everywhere, if you are worried about a picture being taken don't step out the door. Otherwise, own it! If you notice someone snapping a picture stop and strike a pose. The more you let them know you are not ashamed the less power they have.

Jaylyn
11-20-2014, 09:46 AM
In this new technology world we are living in we might as well get used to the modern gadgets. The cells are improving yearly and camera security will soon be the law enforcements tool. I am not out in public dressed nor ever intend to be unless you can talk my wife into me going out dressed in a very large town, a long ways from home , and in a safe place where we are the only ones. That's the one thing she did object to when she accepted me as a husband that loves the cross dressing. I am basically an under dresser when out. I am not worried about the cells taking pictures but they are a very big problem when they are using them as they are driving at the same time. I figure for those of you that do dress and go out in public then it could be a problem. Especially if you are not wanting the boss or your employment knowing about your private life. I think CDs should stay away from places they may be photographed in. I know an ex FBI agent and from what I have learned the new photo recognition tools they have even a very low grade picture anyone has of you you can be identified. We are living in the age of big brother and have really given up lots of freedoms because of it. From folks staring at Crossdressers to folks documenting with phones n cameras in hands, to posting your pictures on the net for the whole world to see. We are lucky that it's not a crime here though to pose as the opposite sex in public so odds are the only thing that could happen is someone that recognizes you will see the photo. I'm like Stacy there's too many D--- phones.

silkycdresser
11-20-2014, 09:49 AM
I can see the people part being a bit more problematic as you don't know what their intent is or the reasoning of taking the photo in the first place unless you accidentally photo bomb them. If you see someone pulling out a phone (which for the most part they always have their phones out all the time to begin with) just turn your back to them.

Good suggestion, just turn your back to people who are whipping their phones out.

Since I'm not courageous enough to dress in public it hasn't happened to me. But I was in Centennial Park in Atlanta one day when crossdresser walked by. Tall, legs that went on forever, tight figure, sexy outfit. That's when I noticed three different people taking photos with cell phones of her. She continued on either oblivious to the attention or enjoying it. So, I do imagine that it happens a lot. Especially if it is obvious that a person is a CD. This gurl was obvious because she was at least 6'4" plus those 4" spiked heels and well, she had a beard.

Pretty obvious and not trying to "blend", then!

I think if you draw attention in public for whatever reason you run the risk of being photographed. I aim to blend so even if I'm read I look like either a masculine looking female or a crossdresser. The OP mentions teens and teen girls are ones to avoid on many levels from my experience.
Another consideration is that if I'm out shopping I will skip the 4" heels to have more mobility and to draw less attention.

I aim to blend, too. Your policy of drawing as little attention as possible is good.

Helen_Highwater
11-20-2014, 10:15 AM
I posted only a few days ago about having 2 GG's who I'm sure were trying to take a covert pic of me on their smartphones. I just looked the, "I know what you're trying to do" look so they knew they were the ones being watched and they seemed to give up on the idea.

Nadine Spirit
11-20-2014, 10:24 AM
I long time ago, when I first started going out, my wife told me of someone who snapped a picture of me with their phone. I had no idea, but she clearly saw him do it. It was not a teen, but an adult. So what came of it? Nothing. Though I did feel like the zebra at the zoo. OH well. Lots of worse things can happen in life besides someone taking my picture and sharing it with their friends.

CONSUELO
11-20-2014, 10:36 AM
A long time ago I lived in Papua New Guinea and worked amongst some people who were literally just stepping out of the Stone Age. It was fascinating and one thing that I learned then was to respect other people. If you wanted to take a photograph of someone, you had to ask their permission. The taking of a photograph was considered to be more than rude; it took away something from the subject and it was no light thing. It was not just an invasion of their privacy but an assault on their soul.

Cell phones with cameras have brought on an epidemic of selfish and bad behaviour that goes well beyond the random snapping of photos of strangers. I don't know if there is much we can do about it except to be prepared.

Jenniferathome
11-20-2014, 10:40 AM
I never worry about it. If it happens, I have not noticed it and it speaks more about the taker than the subject. I am totally unrecognizable in girl mode so there are no dots to connect.

Beverley Sims
11-20-2014, 10:56 AM
I charge six bucks to have my photo taken, most people charge five. :)

Nicole Erin
11-20-2014, 11:37 AM
In most areas people are taking photos of themselves or friends.
Yes some places have lots of CCTV but that is there to help protect everyone.
Unless your really stand out no one will be taking your picture.

That is about it.
They are probably doing selfies while driving and making duck face.
Besides, the scenario some CD imagine is - some obnoxious teenager takes a photo, posts it on the social website of the month, it goes viral and the CD's life is ruined.

The reality is - chances of someone knowing and recognizing you are slim to none. Your photo will get lost in the sea of other stupid crap people post.
If someone is distinctly looking for photos of TG, they are not looking for some random TG person walking around in public, they are looking for... well, we all know.

So yeah unless you are doing something REALLY bizarre, no one cares.
In that rare case your boss calls you in the office, pulls up a photo of some CD walking around walmart and says, "Johnson, is this you?" Why no, no it isn't ;)

Jennifer-GWN
11-20-2014, 12:14 PM
The only time this was a concern was the first time getting my hair done at a local salon. It was one of my first true public outings that I had fully enfemme. I was sitting in the chair and across from me a girl was having her hair dried and busily taping on her smartphone. A few times she seemed to raise it a bit higher which gave me the sense that perhaps she was taking a picture. She didn't present any obvious body language that would indicate she was picture taking. Whatever...nothing I could do about it and I wasn't about to make a scene.

As many have indicated cameras are everywhere and a fact of life. Just have to be comfortable in your own skin.

Cheers... Jennifer

Teresa
11-20-2014, 01:13 PM
Unless you dress totally OTT I would doubt it's going to be a problem ! Even if it did it would float around the internet with millions of other images !

Shelly raised an interesting point about CCTV, if you were out dressed and saw something that you might be called to be witness to, that could cause a few problems !

Carmen
11-20-2014, 03:31 PM
During a recent shopping trip with a friend we were looking thru those endless clearance racks. There were several other ladies doing the same, it was a busy day.
I watched this gal carefully working her phone as if she was checking it. She would frequently glance at me then at her phone. I was on to this so I started moving in her direction and closed the gap between us.
It was fun to watch her attempts at framing us in her phone camera as I continually shopped in her direction. She eventually gave up, but I wonder if she got the pic she was after.
BTW I didn't find anything.

Tracy Hazel Lee
11-20-2014, 04:12 PM
If somebody wanted to take my pic, and I noticed them, I would most definitely look straight at them and own it... The chances of them knowing anyone else that I know, are somewhere between very slim and zero. What would you rather have? A negative confrontation? Or a snapped photo? Seems like an obvious choice to me. :)

Cheryl T
11-20-2014, 04:20 PM
That's something I've never even thought about. With all the phones having cameras it would be so hard to tell if someone did take a picture. Besides, if I'm out in public then how can I stop them??

Eryn
11-20-2014, 09:19 PM
I've only noticed it a couple of times, both when I was out with a group of 6'+ ladies. Not much to it, just a young person's reflex reaction to seeing something unusual.

Janine cd
11-20-2014, 09:42 PM
I wouldn't worry if anyone took my picture when I were out dressed. I certainly wouldn't be recognized by anyone I know.

Sara Ann
11-20-2014, 09:48 PM
If somebody wanted to take my pic, and I noticed them, I would most definitely look straight at them and own it... The chances of them knowing anyone else that I know, are somewhere between very slim and zero. What would you rather have? A negative confrontation? Or a snapped photo? Seems like an obvious choice to me. :)

:thumbsup::shades: Great idea. If you show that you are comfortable as you appear, then what kind of power would the picture taker still have? Probably nothing. It may even discourage them from snapping that electronic shutter.

Rachelakld
11-20-2014, 11:01 PM
Smile & wave, sometimes say Hi

Marcelle
11-21-2014, 04:39 AM
Hi Johanne,

I can't say I have that problem (people trying to take my picture) and if they did they were covert enough to do so without my knowledge. I am quite open in my life about my TG ways so even if the picture hit the internet, I doubt anyone would know it was me and secondly I don't truly care. However if I caught someone trying to take my picture I would call them on it ... it is just plain rude and I would make sure the individual and those around them knew so.

When it comes to teens and cell phones . . . well let's just say the cell phone is an extension of their body and they always have them out. Are you sure they were trying to take your picture or did it just appear they were?

Hugs

Isha

Krisi
11-21-2014, 07:25 AM
Realize that it's not just cameras or phones taking pictures. Or security systems. People can buy miniature cameras and video cameras that pool like a pen. They can buy eyeglasses with built in cameras. Being out in public there's a good chance you will be photographed, especially if you look odd or draw attention to yourself. Think about it.

Even in your own home - Did you install a security sytem with video monitoring? Who can log on and see that video? Your wife? Your parents or children? A trusted friend or relative? And of course, a suspecting spouse could plant a hidden camera in your home.

Jorja
11-21-2014, 07:42 AM
Even in your own home - Did you install a security sytem with video monitoring? Who can log on and see that video? Your wife? Your parents or children? A trusted friend or relative? And of course, a suspecting spouse could plant a hidden camera in your home.

Oh crap, Busted!!!

jessw
11-21-2014, 10:22 AM
I frequently joke with my friends that I will end up on that peopleofwalmart website. I am completely out to everyone I know though so it wouldn't really matter if I did. If your happy with who you are then truly all they are getting is a picture of a happy person, does anything else really matter?

Sarasometimes
11-21-2014, 10:28 AM
I think the only answer to this is to stay inside with the blinds drawn, i'm not doing that. I do know someone who is on Google maps, street view coming out of a deli. I do fear that if someone I know recognizes me, that they can take a pic that I could not explain but i just hope that doesn't happen. and I try to be smart as to where I go.

annecwesley
11-22-2014, 05:43 AM
On one of my first "guy-in-a-skirt" trips a clerk at a coffee shop tried sneaking pictures of me with his cell phone. I gave him a dirty look, and he was pretty sheepish looking about it. I never saw them posted on line, so -- what the heck.

Launa
11-22-2014, 07:59 AM
I'm one of those that has had a few hundred photos taken in public. I have always been asked to the best of my knowledge and I have always posed with these teenagers or other folks that ask. I have had some professional photographers try to take my pictures at big events and I usually turn my back to them or say I don't want my photo taken.

Now if someone was trying and snap my picture while they were being sneaky, ignorant and disrespecting then that would be a different story, I would either confront them and tell them that the camera is going to get broken real fast or I will let my middle finger stick up for me.

Gang, we must remember that unless the photo is a real good shot of you that it probably won't be posted by anybody. Who is going to post a side view of you on the net unless they have a good front shot to go with it. Now if it winds up on Facebook who is going to try and figure it out? The net is full of wacky off the wall photos out there so even if it is posted it is basically lost in the shuffle.

grace7777
11-22-2014, 03:44 PM
Only one time did I notice someone taking my picture, and I did not take any action. I Figure the odds of someone finding my picture of me dressed enfemme on the internet are very slim, and the chances of being outed are even slimmer due to them seeing the picture.

Launa
11-22-2014, 04:42 PM
Oh crap, Busted!!!

Is this when you say one of the closeted CD's biggest excuse in the world like, "honey I was planning my costume for next Halloween." Works like a charm. LOL

In that rare case your boss calls you in the office, pulls up a photo of some CD walking around walmart and says, "Johnson, is this you?" Why no, no it isn't ;)

This is when you can say back, "its funny you ask this because I saw the same picture and thought it was you."

jessica33
11-23-2014, 07:02 AM
I'm one of those that has had a few hundred photos taken in public. I have always been asked to the best of my knowledge and I have always posed with these teenagers or other folks that ask. I have had some professional photographers try to take my pictures at big events and I usually turn my back to them or say I don't want my photo taken.

Now if someone was trying and snap my picture while they were being sneaky, ignorant and disrespecting then that would be a different story, I would either confront them and tell them that the camera is going to get broken real fast or I will let my middle finger stick up for me.

Gang, we must remember that unless the photo is a real good shot of you that it probably won't be posted by anybody. Who is going to post a side view of you on the net unless they have a good front shot to go with it. Now if it winds up on Facebook who is going to try and figure it out? The net is full of wacky off the wall photos out there so even if it is posted it is basically lost in the shuffle.

I have the same attitude as yours regarding taking photos in the public . I don't go out very often as Jessica because of my busy schedule . The few times I was out there I have been asked to take photos with female teens or adults . I figure the chance of my friends , co-workers or boss see those photos are almost none .

brandi.tgurl
11-23-2014, 02:47 PM
i can't say that i've ever noticed that before. and, at the same time, haven't worried about it. i fall into the camp that i own me when i go out, and feel that a) i present in a matter that shouldn't call attention b) if i call that kind of attention, so what?

Melanie B
11-23-2014, 03:05 PM
Happenned to me last night for the first time (that I know of).
I'd been to our local TG support group, but some of us decided that it was a bit too quiet, so we thought we'd try one of the local pubs. In the end, only three of us went.
Individually, I like to think any of us could blend, and at least one of us could certainnly pass... but the three of us together knew we would be read.
But the barmaid didn't bat an eyelid and the only customer who said anything to us asked if he coud take a photo of us.
So we leaned across the table towards eachother, turned our faces towards the camera and smiled. He took his picture, said thank you, and went back to his mates.
No pitchforks or flaming torches.

ReineD
11-23-2014, 03:21 PM
Are you easily recognized when crossdressed or not? Do you just slap on a pair of boobs, dress and heels? Do you believe you pass as a woman, might pass as a woman, or there's no chance you will be mistaken for a woman?

I'm with Kristi. I think it all depends on how you present. If your appearance screams "Crossdresser" then there is a risk of attracting attention as a novelty and ending up on a Facebook page, a website like People of WM, or one of the photo-sharing sites.

Best to dress to blend in. And even if you do dress to blend, if you don't make an attempt to look like a woman with makeup and wig, there will be a gender-clash between what you wear and your face. This will attract attention, depending on where you are. But, if you don't like to wear makeup and wig, you wouldn't stand out as dressing obviously female and garner curious looks if you wore *stealth* women's clothing, for example jeans, polo shirts, sneakers, etc, that men also wear. Few people will look at sneakers and jeans closely to determine where they've been purchased.

Launa
11-23-2014, 05:03 PM
I also forgot to say that whenever anybody asks for my picture I make sure that they are in the picture with me. It will make them think of where they will be posting it if my arm is around them in the photo and we're all smiling! If its a single photo they want of me then they can go you know where....

Erica Rainbow 93
11-23-2014, 08:43 PM
this really cute guy in his 20s wanted to take a picture with me cause he said i was very cute and wanted a pic of him and a girl so i let him put his arms around me and take a pic then i had him text it to me so id have his number and he would have my number and he did we talk on the phone quite alot about random topics i think he has a crush on me :)

Tracii G
11-23-2014, 08:59 PM
I have noticed girls taking cell phone pics of me or the person behind me shopping LOL.
I just smile and go on it really doesn't bother me.