PDA

View Full Version : OK, so I'm recognizable...

Eryn
11-23-2014, 11:10 PM
Funny occurrence yesterday.

Mimi and I were having lunch with Persephone and her spouse at California Chicken Cafe, a fast-ish food place.

It was fairly crowded but we got our order in and found a table.

I went to get drinks for Mimi and myself. As I was filling our cups a young-ish gentleman says to me "Are you going to the christmas concert at the Nethercutt? I said, "Why yes, how did you know?" He said "Oh, I remembered you from the silent movie there last month. You sat a couple of rows ahead of us."

Wow that event was 10 miles away, halfway across a valley inhabited by two million people! I guess I do stand out a bit! :)

Kate Simmons
11-23-2014, 11:27 PM
Striking gals make an impression Eryn. ;):battingeyelashes::)

Beverley Sims
11-23-2014, 11:32 PM
Eryn,
A bonus there, he remembered you in a complimentary way.

I can agree you may be noticed more than some. :)

chelyann
11-23-2014, 11:52 PM
see the world is not so big after all.
you stand out because you are strikingly lady like :)

Rachelakld
11-24-2014, 01:10 AM
Such a pleasant fellow, sounds like someone who could be a Nethercutt friend :)

docrobbysherry
11-24-2014, 01:20 AM
In the Duke's words, "U cast a tall shadow, maam". :daydreaming:

PattiAllison
11-24-2014, 01:26 AM
Being recognized in a friendly manner is wonderful, especially as a woman.

kimdl93
11-24-2014, 07:57 AM
Tall attractive girls are memorable!

Katey888
11-24-2014, 09:32 AM
Eryn - nice engagement... :)

But perhaps this is the thought you've triggered: "Must make sure I get in front of her next time so that I can actually see the movie..." :facepalm:

Wear a big hat next time too - then even more will remember...

Katey x

Eringirl
11-24-2014, 09:44 AM
Striking gals make a lasting impression... :)
Erin

Ressie
11-24-2014, 10:37 AM
sounds like you may have and admirer

Eryn
11-24-2014, 01:03 PM
Wear a big hat next time too - then even more will remember...

Funny you mention that! Before the movie they show antique lantern slides, several of which illustrate the need for ladies to remove their hats. We've contemplated wearing large hats just so we would have something to remove!

Beverley Sims
11-25-2014, 01:13 AM
I did have a quick discussion about the movies (wish I had more time) as it was something in my line of activities and the "remove your hats" and "No Smoking" slides have disappeared.

I am not sure about smoking in UK theatres these days.

It was still allowed the last time I looked.

Eryn
11-25-2014, 01:50 AM
Well, this is not a theater, but a large and opulent private living room of a cosmetics magnate. The movies was a restored silent version of the 1920s Phantom of the Opera and it was shown with a 1912 hand-cranked projector with Magic Lantern attachment. As I recall, the various slides were concerned with spitting on the floor ("If you expect to rate as a gentleman, don't expectorate on the floor"), assuring unaccompanied women that they may attend without being "bothered", and encouraging women to remove their hats. Here are some examples:

Nikkilovesdresses
11-25-2014, 02:01 AM

Wow- must be a very long time since you visited a UK theatre!

Persephone
11-25-2014, 03:46 AM
Well, this is not a theater, but a large and opulent private living room of a cosmetics magnate. The movies was a restored silent version of the 1920s Phantom of the Opera and it was shown with a 1912 hand-cranked projector with Magic Lantern attachment. As I recall, the various slides were concerned with spitting on the floor ("If you expect to rate as a gentleman, don't expectorate on the floor"), assuring unaccompanied women that they may attend without being "bothered", and encouraging women to remove their hats. Here are some examples:

Wow, Eryn! You really did some work in finding those exact slides! I always love how the organist plays loud "threatening" sounds when the "But You" slide appears. Yes, next movie night we really must wear large hats!

Hugs,
Persephone.

emma-louise
11-25-2014, 06:41 AM
Just proves the saying once seen never forgotten

Claire Cook
11-25-2014, 07:16 AM
Isn't it great to be remembered? I love to watch silent movies when they are shown on TCM, and the Nethercutt sounds like a terrific idea. Wouldn't it be fun to go there in period dress? Aren't those slides wonderful?

Judith96a
11-25-2014, 08:02 AM

It was still allowed the last time I looked.

Nope :D Not any more!
A cinema or theatre is both an "enclosed public space" and a "workplace" so no smoking except in a designated area or on stage if it's essential to the plot

ReineD
11-25-2014, 08:23 PM
This happens to us frequently. We live in a small town near other small towns, but still SAs, door-men/women, restaurant personnel, etc seem to remember us even if we have not been there in several months.

I don't know if I like to be remembered. The implication is that people remember us because there aren't many others like us around.

Alice Torn
11-25-2014, 08:40 PM
I bet that is very fun and nostalgic. I wish there were more of the silent old movie nights or weeks, at older theaters, but not many are left like that. I could dig some old Buster Keaton, Laurel and Hardy, Phantom of the Opera , with a real organist playing a big pipe organ for sound, and going dressed up, like you do. And a kind word from someone, too! Thanks for sharing.

Eryn
11-25-2014, 08:52 PM
I don't know if I like to be remembered. The implication is that people remember us because there aren't many others like us around.

I've had the same thought, but the people who have recognized me have always been very friendly and polite, never threatening in the least. The gentleman I referred to at the top of the thread was with a male friend and their clothing and manner suggested that they might possibly have been in the LGBT community in which case they might simply have been more aware of T folk than most.

I've found that being recognized goes with the territory. There aren't that many 5'14" women around, particularly in my age group.

ReineD
11-25-2014, 09:46 PM
They've always been friendly to us too. My concern was for people who wish to not be read, and so being recognized can be a disappointment because of the implications. As for acceptance, I don't think that service personnel care one way or the other. To them, we're just good business.

But, if you are recognized because of your height then it's another matter. Still, 5'14 isn't so bad. I feel for people who are 6'4 or taller. My SO and I are about the same height if I wear heels and she doesn't so I can't say that people recognize us because of our height.