PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving in a long skirt

mechamoose
11-28-2014, 06:58 AM
I have done ThanksG dinner for our family for the last 7 or 8 years. I usually go all out on ingredients, make everything from raw ingredients and try to do something special/new every year. Yesterday morning I had gotten up, threw on a long skirt and comfy top, woke up with some coffee. I got into the kitchen at 8:00, prepping for our normal 2PM meal.

My menu:
Herb-brined turkey, butterflied and roasted at high heat (450 degrees, 90 minutes. Honest!!)
Hearty gravy from the drippings and bits
Apple and pecan herbed stuffling
Cranberry sauce (locally grown berries)
Mixed red & Idaho smashed potatoes with cream, butter and swiss cheese
Roasted buttercup squash glazed with honey and balsamic vinegar
Brown sugar glazed carrots
Fresh Haricot Vert (French 'long beans', kind of like thin green beans)
Pearl onions in cream sauce
I bought Irish butter for an extra bit of flavor for the breads

Mom brought the bread & an apple crumble pie, my brother brought a 'squmpkin' pie (He mixed up his cans, so it was 50/50 squash & pumkin), and my daughter brought cookies with mixed PB and chocolate chips (/drool).

How does this relate to CD'ing? Well, I didn't get to leave the kitchen that morning. I didn't get the chance to shower. I didn't get the chance to change into 'nice clothes' for the occasion. When people arrived, I will still in my skirt & top, bare feet & anklets, dripping sweat.

Nobody raised an eyebrow. Nobody said a word. Everyone had a great time.

Ok.. my wife did say something. After everyone left, she said 'I'm so glad you were just able to be yourself today!"

<3

- MM

Katey888
11-28-2014, 08:19 AM
You paint a pretty picture MM, and what a spread too... :D

I'm guessing everyone is getting used to your 'foibles'...? In any case, they're probably also thinking "Damn! If the food is this good he can wear whatever he likes..." :yahoo:

Makes me look forward to Christmas already...

Katey x

mykell
11-28-2014, 08:31 AM
hello madame,
some interesting dishes being served up at Moose lodge yesterday and everything sounded soo good (well accept that "sweat" thing)
glad everyone was soo comfortable sharing this time with you....

Marcelle
11-28-2014, 08:35 AM
Hi MM,

Sounds like a great day being just yourself and not to mention a great meal . . . do you deliver?

Hugs

Isha

mechamoose
11-28-2014, 08:57 AM
I didn't sweat into the food. I kept a supply of shop towels handy. :)

Food is kind of a funny thing for me. If I don't like you, I won't sit down for a meal with you. If I like you I will, and I might even cook for you. If I *love* you, I'm gonna spoil you.

Funny how those emotions are tied to food.

For Christmas/New Years (I'm not xtian but I do it anyway. The rest of my family is except my daughter, who is also pagan) I'm considering taking on cooking a goose. Never done it before.

I don't deliver, but if some of you girls make it up to Central Massachusets, let me know.. I will set up an extra plate. :)

<3

- MM

Bria
11-28-2014, 09:18 AM
How is it that I didn't have your address? Sounds like you had a great dinner, definitely something to be thankful for along with an accepting family!

Hugs, Bria

CynthiaD
11-28-2014, 10:24 AM
Cool!

I was en femme for Thanksgiving as well, but no guests. Just family.

Rhonda Darling
11-28-2014, 10:37 AM
I would pity the fool who would comment on the way a chef who puts on a meal like that happened to be dressed. Reading your menu on my iPad, I almost took a bite out of the corner of it - sounds scrumptious! MM, you definitely rocked that Thanksgiving meal. Well done and glad you were able to be you.

Best regards,
Rhonda

Nikkilovesdresses
11-28-2014, 10:45 AM
Great story- thanks! Love your wife's comment.

Beverley Sims
11-28-2014, 11:16 AM
It can take time but friends do accept.

bridget thronton
11-28-2014, 12:02 PM
Sounds like a great meal and a wonderful family

charlenesomeone
11-28-2014, 05:25 PM
MM wonderful story and sounds like a happy time.
Thanks for giving.
hugs

Zylia
11-28-2014, 05:41 PM
Hi MM, It sounds like you're able to be yourself way more and way better than a lot us will ever be. Some may find you somewhat eclectic (including yourself) and that's saying a lot coming from a bunch of guys dressed up as ladies, but I think a lot of us are simply jealous :D

mechamoose
11-28-2014, 06:19 PM
but I think a lot of us are simply jealous :D

Z, that is part of why I share this stuff. I *know* I'm an odd bird in an unusual situation, but I want to share how things CAN be. We *can* be ourselves, and it *can* work.

Thank you sweetie!

<3

- MM

FayeXD
11-28-2014, 08:06 PM
Nothing better than being yourself, with family and friends.

Happy Thanksgiving!

justmetoo
11-28-2014, 08:18 PM
Yes, sounds like a great meal, and the comment from your wife is priceless.

Eringirl
11-28-2014, 08:26 PM
Hey MM:

Sounds like a lovely day. So happy for you.

You doing Christmas dinner? So.....what time should I get there?!? ;)

Erin

Lady Catherine
11-28-2014, 11:26 PM
Sounds like a great time. I'm heading up to north central MA next week, (BRRR) maybe we'll run into each other.

MissTee
11-30-2014, 12:30 AM
Good for you MM. Comfortable in your own skin. This Thanksgiving the family and I were sitting around talking about Thanksgivings of yore, when the conversation drifted to my grandmother (as every year it does.) I remember she drank beer. A lot of beer.

Thing is, no one cared that she drank. Yet, she would move mountains to hide it from the world. As teens and young adults we had contests to see who could find her stash, and we'd secretly follow her and watch as she chugged another can. Every year by the end of Thanksgiving day, then, she was toasted better than the bread. Nevertheless, wobbling and word slurring, she would deny ever touching alcohol. This played out every Thanksgiving until she passed away. Her beer drinking would be pretty boring were it not for the public denial and her not so stealth-like antics to hide it.

Nadya
11-30-2014, 09:32 PM
I'm sure that felt good! Glad to hear it! :)