PDA

View Full Version : Is being a crossdresser transgender?

CarlaWestin
11-29-2014, 05:55 PM
Just like that. I'm CD but, am I I transgender?

Tell me.

Zylia
11-29-2014, 06:08 PM
Transgender: Adjective to describe a diverse group of individuals who cross or transcend culturally defined categories of gender. The gender identity of transgender people differs to varying degrees from the sex they were assigned at birth.
Source: the World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) (http://www.wpath.org/)

Do you fit the bill? If so, you're transgender by WPATH's definition, which for some is as good as any definition of the word. If not, you're not. Anyway, don't stress too much over it, you don't have to identify as transgender if you don't feel like it.

cindi cinnamon
11-29-2014, 06:28 PM
It's hard for me to imagine that a person who seeks to identify as a female "outwardly", doesn't also seek to identify as a female "inwardly".
But, having said that, to try to answer that question in simple "black and white" terms, is in my mind, IMPOSSIBLE !!
Perhaps we all are under the influence of gender dysphoria to some extent or other, but to call ourselves transgender should perhaps be left to those individuals who actually make the transition.

Alice Torn
11-29-2014, 06:34 PM
Well said Zylia and Cindi.

AllieSF
11-29-2014, 06:38 PM
An age old question here that always stirs up the "stuff" as each presents their reasons for accepting or rejecting whatever terminology is under discussion at the moment. By the definitions of this site "transgender" is the umbrella term with "CD's", among others, included under that umbrella. As others have said before, if you don't like the label, don't use it. However, if other people use that label to identify/classify you, please don't get upset. I personally would agree with the site's definition and consider you and I are CD's under that umbrella TG definition.

Tinkerbell-GG
11-29-2014, 07:02 PM
Carla, what's your motivation for dressing? That should answer your question.

As for my H - he dresses to 'get off'. The entire thing is fantasy based. I personally don't think this makes him TG as he identifies as a kinky male - nothing more. But then again, the term is incredibly broad and sort of like saying an apple is a fruit and so is a banana. We all know how different the two fruit are, but they both fit under the fruit banner.

This question always does my head in, lol.

Ressie
11-29-2014, 07:06 PM
Are you fat? Are you skinny? Those are also descriptive words (adjectives). So someone may consider you tall or short or transgender, but you may not agree. I mean, my house is old, but compared to a 150 year old house, it may be considered newer by some people. Some may consider me TG and others may not. If it's a label, it's an ambiguous one. Transexual and transvetite being nouns are better words to categorize with IMO.

Nadine Spirit
11-29-2014, 07:23 PM
Personally I prefer this site's definition; with TG being an umbrella term.

Though I do understand where some are coming from in not wanting to be labeled as TG in that it implies one is not the gender one thinks they are. Thus one may fully dress as a woman but see themselves as only male, therefore they do not see themselves as TG. Personally I think it is a falacious argument.

I see gender as existing on a spectrum with the two ends being the cisgender folks. Someone who is more towards the male end, may do some fem things, like dress up and gratify themselves, but only identify as male. Whereas someone more in the middle may identify as both, or either, or neither gender. Someone more towards the opposite end of the spectrum from their birth gender may identify as TS. Regardless though, if you are somewhere on the spectrum, you are TG, in my opinion. Incredibly broad? Yes. And if you want it more specific, then we have other words, like cross dresser which can further specify ones leanings.

Okay even with all that, if you don't think you are TG, then go with that.

Jaylyn
11-29-2014, 07:32 PM
I don't consider myself a transgendered Cross-dresser. I do consider myself a Cross-dresser I feel feminine when dressed but not as much inside as a change on the outside. I dress like a cheap prostitute as my wife says. Yes sometimes it is to get off as previously mentioned but sometimes just to look pretty. ( something that's getting harder the older I get). Sometimes it just to make me relax, and this is accomplished by sometimes just feeling the smoothness of the inner garments and nylons. Wife and I also have used my dressing as a means to live out her fantasies and mine. I enjoy the feminine feelings so maybe I am crossing over the gender line. I also really could care less about what is culturally correct. I have and will always be a stand alone type of guy when I'm in male mode, but wife says she likes my tenderness and acts of kindness since I started dressing. I think it's just my age and I'm mellowing out some, but she says I'm getting nicer since dressing. I agree I guess all genders vary from slight to major degrees, just depends on how far each wants to take it.

LilSissyStevie
11-29-2014, 08:11 PM
There is no agreement on what gender is so transgender can't be defined either other than subjectively. So, you are one if you believe you are. We can't even agree on what defines a crossdresser. So does being a [subjective label] make you also a [other subjective label] ? Yes! No! Believing makes it so.

Tamara Croft
11-29-2014, 08:23 PM
This has been discussed to death and recently, please use the 'search' facility and you will find such threads.

Thread closed