PDA

View Full Version : How many CDs are left-handed?

Nikkilovesdresses
12-07-2014, 02:04 PM
Same as the national average? More than average? Has anyone ever done a study?

I'm L-H by birth, but was trained to be R-H. I don't know what that did to my head, but I play a normal guitar L-H because I taught myself and nobody told me I had the guitar upside down.

Andy66
12-07-2014, 02:11 PM
Thats an interesting question. Im left handed.

Heres a weird little factoid for you. I dont usually see too many patterns related to left handedness, but in my line of work I help alot of people who order stuff on the internet. When they sign for their purchases, I see that an oddly high number of lefties order things from the internet. No pattern on the type of items they buy though.

firsttimedresser
12-07-2014, 02:13 PM
Nikki im a south paw but somethings i can do right handed :)

Izzy

Rachael Leigh
12-07-2014, 02:16 PM
I was told I should have been but ended up right handed but can do things left handed

JenniferR771
12-07-2014, 02:42 PM
Gay men and gay women have a higher incidence of left handedness. Handedness is not genetic. This implies that both effects occur in the womb, before birth.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/07/000710071931.htm

I am right handed. I don't know about crossdressers in general.

Jennifer-GWN
12-07-2014, 02:42 PM
Right handed... but everyday I realize that the next human genetic advancement needs to be a third arm/hand.

Amy Fakley
12-07-2014, 02:48 PM
Truthfully, I'm close to ambidextrous, though I write left handed. I play guitar right handed ( but then you're really doing all the hard work with your left hand, so I've never understood why that's considered the right handed position). Also use mouse right handed, and I play keys which is really a two handed thing, but I've always favored my right hand on keys so I dunno what I am ... lol just like everything else I guess. :-)

Katey888
12-07-2014, 02:52 PM
Right-handed but learnt some ambidextrous skills from my heavily left-handed father (who was thrashed at school to encourage him to write with the proper hand! Those were the days... :facepalm:)

And while it may not be entirely genetic, current thinking is that some genes may enable a predisposition to becoming left-handed, as this article relates: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-causes-some-people-t/

Niks - this time you have to do the pie chart, but it won't be very colourful... blue and pink perhaps...? I'd bet on CDs having more LH than the average population... say 65:35 RH/LH...

Ambidextrous is good for doing nails! :D

Katey x

bridget thronton
12-07-2014, 03:24 PM
I am right-handed

Adriana Moretti
12-07-2014, 03:27 PM
lefty with a bit of ambidextrousity wait.. is that a word?? goin on as well...you know what i meant....i go both ways..in more ways than one xoxo

Karolyn
12-07-2014, 03:41 PM
Yeah! Left-handed people! I'm not feeling alone suddenly :D

But for CDs, I have no idea, that would be interesting to figure out if there is a difference.

Natasha V
12-07-2014, 03:43 PM
I'm left handed and love knowing we are special... Lol

Stephanie Michelle
12-07-2014, 03:56 PM
I am left handed and left footed. Swing a bat, golf club, right handed.

tammie
12-07-2014, 04:01 PM
I am also LH , but like so many here I play the guitar, banjo and uke in a RH manner . Like a previous poster stated , "you do all the important parts with your LH tho" , so it should be called LHed. I was not discouraged to use my LH like stories I have heard about from others . Also did you know in the middle ages it was considered a sign of the devil to be LHed ? The latin word for right is "dextero" the root of dexterous , the latin for Left is "sinestro" the root of sinister, go figure.

I started crossdressing at age 14yo, I presume because apretty woman leaned over me and whispered in my ear; "your tits are bigger than mine , you should be wearing a bra honey" . And maybe I was predisposed to CDing because my mother dressed me up once in front of my sister and her friends at age 4 because I wouldnt leave them alone (my sister was 4yrs older) so she was 8 and her friends the same age . It was a blue gingham party dress with white ruffles and buttoned up the back so I couldn't take it off by myself.

She undressed me in front of them , then put me in lace ruffled panties , ruffled socks and maryjanes and then the dress . I remember being both humiliated and stimulated at the same time like it was yesterday . I know my mother must have thought it was wrong because she told me if I said anything to my father she would spank me too. I wonder if LHedness has anyting to do with enjoying CDing so much so that we don't want to stop.

PS the first thing I ever put on (willingly) was my older sisters black lacecup underwire brassiere 36B and it fit me like I had been measured for it . I almost feinted from the sensation of having my tits cupped and heldup
when I got it fastened around my chest and my tits adjusted into those cups , I took it with me along with the matching LLPG and was caught later by my mother enjoying them in my bedroom .

JessicaJHall
12-07-2014, 04:02 PM
Extremely right handed (left brain, but when I'm cd'd, who knows?), which sucks as I play piano, and my left is lame!!
I do suspect we have a lot of musicians or wannabes like me.

Daryl
12-07-2014, 04:34 PM
I'm ambidextrous. All sports were LH or Left footed. I write and eat RH. Nowadays being blind in my left eye
and an implant in my left forearm I use mostly my RH all the time. Hardly any grip in my LH and have a weight
restriction also on my left arm and hand.

paulaprimo
12-07-2014, 04:52 PM
i'm right handed mostly, but can grab money equally as well with my left hand... :D

Michaelasfun
12-07-2014, 04:54 PM
Right-handed, but in softball batted left - go figure. Some pretty successful musicians play left handed guitar I've noticed :)

aussie cd
12-07-2014, 04:54 PM
left handed writer, all else right handed, tennis,golf etc

Judith96a
12-07-2014, 05:47 PM
Left-handed when it comes to writing / soldering, ambidextrous using a screwdriver, right-handed for most everything else!
Yes, I know, I'm just plain odd!

Jaclyn
12-07-2014, 06:31 PM
I'm about 50/50 I write, eat and golf right handed
Throw a base ball, bowl, corn hole and shoot a gun left handed

What ever I do with one hand I can't do at all with the other

claire1d
12-07-2014, 07:52 PM
Write RH, left footed, golf LH, RH at tennis, drink with my LH.... kind of like both (boy and girl) sides of myself

Mia Brankovic
12-07-2014, 08:04 PM
I'm right-handed (no artistic flair, damn!); however, I usually wear out my left glove first? hmm, I walk my dog and goat with my left hand...cause I need my right hand to give hand-signals to the other free-ranging dogs.

PattiL
12-07-2014, 08:37 PM
I'm all Lefty :)

GretchenJ
12-07-2014, 08:48 PM
Same as the national average? More than average? Has anyone ever done a study?

I'm L-H by birth, but was trained to be R-H. I don't know what that did to my head, but I play a normal guitar L-H because I taught myself and nobody told me I had the guitar upside down.

this is exactly the same with me, even down to the guitar part !!

alwayshave
12-07-2014, 08:57 PM
I am right handed, but played hockey and gold left handed.

ambigendrous
12-07-2014, 09:30 PM
Ambigendrous is ambidextrous! :)

Robin777
12-07-2014, 09:44 PM
I am left handed. I write left handed, golfed right handed (tried left handed and couldn't do it. ) swing a hammer left handed- I can't hit the nail square right handed. I use a fork left handed. some things I can do with both hands and some things only left handed. My handwriting is atrocious. On the upside I can make out other peoples lousy handwriting.

Katrina26cd
12-07-2014, 09:57 PM
left handed

Paula_Femme
12-07-2014, 10:07 PM
"Hello, my name is Paula, I'm a crossdresser and a rightie..." :heehee:

Heavily biased to the right... right footed, right handed writing, picking things up etc, right handed and right eye dominant when using a DSLR. I used to play the piano, and I currently touch type, both of which require equal dexterity from the right and left, but those are my exceptions and not the rule. Oh yeah, I can only do the Vulcan "Live Long and Prosper" salute with my right hand as well! :battingeyelashes:

carahawkwind
12-07-2014, 10:14 PM
I'm strongly left handed, although somethings you just need to learn to do either way. My daughter is mostly left handed by does somethings with right. Both my dads parents were left handed but none of him or his sisters are.

marshalynn
12-07-2014, 10:23 PM
Right handed

Maria 60
12-07-2014, 10:30 PM
I to was born left handed and then trained and told that left hand is wrong, but I seem to be able to do almost everything with both. You should see the look on people's face when I start hammering a nail with my right hand and then switch over to my left.

suchacutie
12-07-2014, 11:11 PM
I'm told that I, also, was left-handed at birth, but was discouraged from being left handed. The marvelous part of that is that we found Tina naturally using her left hand almost exclusively. It wasn't something we thought about, but it seems my femme self reverts to being left-handed, whereas my male self is still right handed for the most part.

Gillian Gigs
12-07-2014, 11:37 PM
A lefty who is also very ambidextrous. I have worked in the trades and have found that the trades have a very high precentage who were also leftys. My dad was a lefty also, along with a sister.
I had the opportunity to be a part of a left handed study many years ago. It was being done by a Psychiatrist, it was a very interesting experience. This makes me wonder if anything was ever posted on line, the testing was done in the days before the internet as we know it today.

LelaK
12-07-2014, 11:39 PM
Right-handed

except in the mirror.

I taught myself to throw, write and play ping-pong etc left-handed, but just for variety. I can write cursively left-handed forward, backward, upside-down, and upside-down and backward, which last, when the writing is turned upside-down, looks like normal forward right-side-up writing, almost. I can do the Vulcan sign left-handed.

Who's processing this data? (besides the NSA?)

Hell on Heels
12-07-2014, 11:46 PM
I am right handed, with a touch of "ambidextroucity" as well. I play billiards left handed, as well as archery.
Turning wrenches on vehicles, the situation will always come up that you need to work left handed.
It just becomes second nature.
HMMMM??? Nature?
Go figure!
Much Love,
Kristyn

Dana3
12-08-2014, 12:01 AM
Left hand, heavily trained and conditioned to be right hand resulting in being very ambidextrous in and with most things.

Barbara Jo
12-08-2014, 12:41 AM
Another lefty here. :)

I can not even write my initials with my right hand.

A strange thing is, playing a regular right handed guitar is the most natural thing for me and I can't imagine how to play a left handed one .
What Hendrix did is beyond my comprehension as a lefty.

Nikkilovesdresses
12-08-2014, 02:31 AM
Gay men and gay women have a higher incidence of left handedness.

Thanks- I didn't know that, but it chimes with my instinct about CDs.

So far about 55% who've replied are either LH, ambidextrous, or were born LH and trained to be RH- the national average for both male and female is 10-15%.

Either LH people respond to questions about left-handedness more than RH do, or something's going on-

Any thoughts?

donnalee
12-08-2014, 04:20 AM
Right handed but left eyed;
One thing I have noticed is that either 80% of actors are left handed, or most films are processed mirror image; if you watch many westerns it will be obvious. Anyone here involved with films who can answer this?

Dorit
12-08-2014, 05:11 AM
Completely left handed in what amounts to a right handed world. Only about 10% of the world population are left handed. Even today I can easily put an earring in my left pierced ear, but have to ask my wife's help for the right ear!

DeTerminator
12-08-2014, 12:39 PM
I'm a lefty, too...but like the other lefties, do a lot of things right handed as well. Also, there seems to be a number of musicians on board, myself included. I think that the 'different' qualities about us translate into other areas as well, like which handedness we are. That would account for more than the average number of cd'ers being left handed. Just my 3 cents...

Barbara B
12-08-2014, 02:09 PM
I am natural leftie with the exception of what I've had to learn right handed

Michelle8
12-08-2014, 02:45 PM
Left Handed in everything.

LaSirenaBella
12-08-2014, 03:06 PM
I'm mostly left-handed. I am ambidextrous when snowboarding and use scissors, bat and use a computer mouse right-handed.

JerseyGirlDonna
12-08-2014, 03:13 PM
I'm left handed except for writing. The nuns probably beat the left handedness out of that.

faithricd
12-08-2014, 03:41 PM
All lefty here. A true southpaw!

bobbiS
12-08-2014, 03:46 PM
I can do everything. right handed but write.

Beverley Sims
12-08-2014, 04:29 PM
Has this got anything to do with obstetricians who can do mechanical work on cars.

Barbara B
12-08-2014, 04:45 PM
On a slightly different note but sort of related. I was diagnosed with arthritis in my right (non dominant) wrist early this year. After speaking to several people the same as me ie left handed with arthritis in the the right, it was a common thought of was it something accelerated by having to use ergonomic equipment designed for right handers! During my time in the construction industry I've used many pieces of equipment built and balanced with right handed people in mind.

Lily Catherine
12-09-2014, 12:05 AM
I for one am, save for the fact that I was forced to write and play the guitar right-handed. The latter being more for financial reasons than anything really.

eileendover
12-09-2014, 12:57 AM
right-handed, except I can eat with a fork left-handed, so I don't have to keep switching my knife and fork.

Jenna81
12-09-2014, 06:40 AM
Lefty here!!!

DeTerminator
12-09-2014, 07:03 AM
I for one am, save for the fact that I was forced to write and play the guitar right-handed. The latter being more for financial reasons than anything really.

It's probably a good thing that you were 'forced' to play right-handed...a lot easier to find a guitar to play, or puchase, as opposed to having to play a left-handed guitar. I'm a lefty that plays right-handed, but it seemed to be a natural thing for me. I tried playing left-handed for while, but that was after starting out right-handed. I stuck with playing right-handed when it seemed easier.

wanagione
12-09-2014, 08:48 AM
I'm left handed.

MichelleDevon
12-09-2014, 11:27 AM
Given the subject title of this thread it is likely that the majority of respondents will be left-handed - I believe it would be statistically unsafe to infer that the majority of CDers are therefore left-handed.

For the record I am left-handed, I am also a musician (although I only sing, don't play any instrument other the piano in a mediocre fashion). I love being left-handed but it can be a real pain at times in a world that has been set up for right-handed people. I recollect once going to a shop called "The Left Centre" in Ironbridge in the British Midlands; the guy who ran the shop was himself right-handed but he had got so exasperated at his left-handed daughter's problems that he decided to open a shop specifically directed at selling items designed for left-handed use... My wife, who is very much right-handed, couldn't cope with left-handed scissors but the funniest was watching her try to use a left-handed can opener. She worked out that it had to go on the left hand side of the can but insisted on still holding it in her left hand whilst then having to reach over that hand and everything else to try to turn the handle to operate the device - hilarious to watch.

It is good at Wagamama being left-handed - you can use the chopsticks in your left hand and the big wooden spoon for eating the soup in your right hand - a doddle!!! My right-handed wife has to put down her chopsticks in order to use the spoon because she is so unused to using her left hand for anything other than a fork.

My A-level physics class at school (way back in the late 1960s) was remarkable - 13 of us of whom 7 were left-handed... Did this have anything to do with Fleming's Left Hand Rule?

I was always totally floored by a left-handed colleague in one job - she swapped over the mouse buttons - I NEVER got used to that - I just use my middle finger for the left mouse button and my index finger for the right button - never been a problem - just part of learning to live as part of the down-trodden minority in a right-handed world.

Michelle

xxx

JamieG
12-09-2014, 09:25 PM
Proud lefty here. However, like some of the others I play guitar and swing a bat right-handed. Both just seem more natural to me.

DebbieL
12-09-2014, 09:56 PM
I'm left handed - especially in "Fine Motor Skills" like eating, writing, painting, crocheting, knitting, and sewing. On the other hand I use my right hand for course motor skills, but I'm not that good at course motor skills like throwing a ball, swinging a bat or golf club. Tennis I play with both hands. Much easier than trying to play the back-hand :-)

I see an even more interesting trend in the responses, the ability to use BOTH hands, ambidexterity. This is a very rare skill and not many have it, yet in the responses here, it seems like a substantial number have that ability to use both hands, each in specialized ways.

I'm wondering if there is a relationship between how we view life as transgender and how we view life as lefties or ambies? As a left handed child, I would sit across from my parents and simply do what I saw them do, like a mirror. I did the same when I learned to knit and crochet. When I had to learn to write, I had to find a whole new way to learn. I had to find ways to adapt, moving the paper so that I wouldn't get pencil all over my hand. I even learned how to do mirror writing.

I didn't do much course motor skills until I was forced to play with boys, and I already took enough flack for being "different" so I tried to do what they did - badly. Thus I had to find a third way to learn.

It could be that Transgender and Left-handed, or ambiguity is more common because we are able to look at the world differently, we perceive the world differently, and we question things that most people think are axiomatic.

Jilmac
12-10-2014, 12:15 AM
I'm a lifelong southpaw and nobody has ever tried to change me. I learned to adapt to a right handed society out of necessity,but it never messed with my mind. In a pinch I could use my right hand for almost everything I do with my left hand.

IF THE LEFT SIDE OF THE BRAIN CONTROLS THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE BODY, THEN ONLY LEFT HANDED PEOPLE ARE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND.

BouncyBouncy
12-10-2014, 08:49 AM
I'm generally right-handed, but for some unknown reason, I ALWAYS forget which hands I prefer knife and fork in. Both feels fine! Different, but totally normal either way.
This miiiiight say something about my general outlook on life and gender, haha

Jaymees22
12-10-2014, 08:59 AM
I'm right handed, but my mother was left handed so it took me forever to learn how to tie my own shoes. I think I was seven. So I tie my shoes like a left handed person. There was a Columbo episode where he solved the crime by deducing that the murderer was left handed by the way he had tied the shoes on the body, I knew then I might be able to get away with murder. Hugs Jaymee

Juanita O
12-10-2014, 10:11 AM
I am left handed

Linda Leigh
12-10-2014, 10:16 AM
I am left handed however I do a lot of things right handed

Lisa-N
12-10-2014, 08:59 PM
Left handed/ambidextrous. Do some things left and others right. Also left footed. I was wondering about this myself as a study I read is that this is also caused during pregnancy in the womb and could be related to different hormone levels to the baby.

Jaymees22
12-24-2014, 02:44 PM
I recently saw this bit of trivia, that all polar bears are left handed (left pawed). They all dress the same in white fur coats, what does this mean??? Hugs Jaymee

Leona
12-24-2014, 03:54 PM
I do some things left-handed (like count money), and some things right-handed (fencing, writing, guitar), but I also can operate my hands completely independently of each other, which makes my job as a mechanic quite interesting sometimes (not to mention the sexual possibilities, heh).

I identify as right-handed, but if I were to lose my right hand for some reason, I could adapt.

Deanna77
12-24-2014, 04:59 PM
I'm a lefty for handwriting purposes only. Other than that, I do everything else right-handed.

Diane1950
12-24-2014, 05:18 PM
I'm a lefty, have been all my life, except that I play golf and guitar righty. When I was a kid, left handed golf clubs were hard to come by.
To play guitar lefty, you have to do it backwards, a la Paul McCartney.

My mother was a lefty too, but in her day being left-handed was thought to be abnormal, so the good nuns in school forced her to learn to write right-handed by tying her left hand behind her back.
She had beautiful penmanship with either hand all her life, but today, a teacher would go to jail for doing that.

And I've never forgotten the old maxim: "The left side of the body is controlled by the right side of the brain. Thus, left-handed people are the only ones in their right minds."

Karen kc
12-24-2014, 07:43 PM
Im right handed, but bat left handed!!

krissy
12-24-2014, 10:26 PM
i was born left handed mom didnt like the way it looked so she forced me to change but now im even handed

Luciana Vitale
12-25-2014, 08:18 AM
Left handed !!

Isabella Ross
12-26-2014, 02:17 PM
I'm confused when it comes to handedness. I write left handed, but am a right handed guitar player, and I also play all sports righthanded. Seems to me when I read through the responses there are a significant number who report at least partial left handedness. Nikki, will you do a tally at the end and give us results? Then we can move on to yet another poll about how many of us are guitar players (a lot!).

krissy_toronto
12-26-2014, 02:25 PM
Im a south paw, but more anbidexterous (sp?).
write, eat with left hand.
shoot right in hockey and golf (although I putt left, weird), throw a baseball with my right hand and catch with left, but freesbie and football i throw with my left. lacrosse i was a left shot and baseball bat well i swung both ways (lol) quite easily and pissed the pitchers off in high school alot.

fran_c
12-26-2014, 04:47 PM
I'm a nighty.. for the most part.
am i broke?

fran

alicia45
12-26-2014, 05:29 PM
I'm profoundly left-handed. A wee example: I couldn't use a can opener correctly until mid-adulthood. Scissors and skill saws still remain a daunting challenge. With the saw, the guard is on the wrong side for me.

There was a study a few years ago that stated left-handers had a shorter life span. Why? Accidents due to a right-handed environment.

josrphine
12-26-2014, 06:38 PM
I was left handed , an then went to a Catholic school, I am both now which I think now is an advantage..

Michelle Reilly
12-26-2014, 08:41 PM
Yet another lefty here.

njcddresser
12-27-2014, 04:05 AM
I'm a lefty. Never thought if there is a correlation between being a lefty and my feminine side.

SandraInHose
12-27-2014, 10:03 PM
Predominantly right-handed, though as a teenager I taught myself to do many things left-handed, despite my dad always asking, "Why?" LOL

Still write, play guitar and golf righty. But when it comes to hockey I shoot left, swing a baseball bat lefty, can also throw lefty (not good enough to pitch though). Kicking a soccer ball or football I'm definitely left-foot dominant.

briana_betancourt
12-28-2014, 01:42 AM
Proud lefty here! I have a lifetime of smudged ink on my pinky to prove it.

Mia27
12-28-2014, 04:25 PM
I am also left handed!:)

Alice Torn
12-28-2014, 04:29 PM
I thought i was a total righty, including baseball batting, but after high school, i started hitting rocks batting left handed, and soon, realized i was far better at softball and baseball hitting left handed!. I wonder if it had anything to do with being a switch dresser, as i was a switch hitter!

Kate T
12-29-2014, 04:52 AM
There was a study done and it did seem to indicate a weak correlation of the incidence of left handedness or ambidextrousness in MTF transgender individuals. Most of the studies that looked at this kind of thing (including the famous length of ring finger studies) were done before we had nice high res functional MRI studies of brain function which give more direct evidence of brain function differences in transgender individuals.

Jaclyn
12-29-2014, 08:36 AM
I went though all these posts and here is the count so far...

Left Handed 41
Right Handed 21
Ambidextrous 16

AngelaKelly<3
12-29-2014, 09:40 AM
Add another leftie to the count ;)

BethanyCross
12-29-2014, 11:13 AM
Lefty here

Natasha V
12-29-2014, 11:15 AM
I'm Left Handed ....

Jane-C
12-29-2014, 11:41 AM
I am right handed for writing I eat left handed which caused hell when growing up and eating fish, the knife upside down. As mentioned I write whith my right hand, also have bbad hand writing. The strange thing is using and sort of tool with either hand is no problem. Am dylexsic as well so can't spell to save my life, always thought my bad hand writing was to mask my bad spelling. As now I'm 48 can't give a s..t, and being abel to use tools with either hand is very "handy" ;)

JustineFallow
12-30-2014, 08:32 PM
OK, I'm getting a little creeped out. I, too, am a southpaw. However, I play guitar in the orthodox fashion--regular stringing, right picking, left fretting.

I will say that one thing I like is that you can use either hand to apply makeup without smearing ink/lead on it. :heehee:

Diane Smith
12-31-2014, 02:43 AM
I am 110% right handed.

- Diane

Sarah Beth
12-31-2014, 10:55 AM
I am left handed. I had a grandmother who was left handed and when I was young gave me scissor made for someone lefthanded. When I was in about third grade I think a teacher started trying to force me to use my right hand to do everything with. I guess I came home really upset one day because of this and my mom went to the school and raised cain over it. That eneded all that.

I am pretty much ambidextrous nad have been for a long time. I think people who are naturally left handed, because we live in a right handed world are forced to be at least somewhat ambidextrous.

I see a lot of mention of guitar playing and that as left handers. I to played guitar upside down at first. The later on switched. I don't play anymore, I almost lost a finger on my left hand and after that I couldn't feel the strings anymore with that finger so I gave it up.

Jackmore
12-31-2014, 11:42 PM
I was born a lefty. A few things I do left handed (write, throw a ball, scissors etc) but most things I do with both... mouse, tools, etc.... Never thought of it as strange or awkward as in my younger school class there were quite a few lefty's. Never thought of percentages for things like dressing....

Danielle11
01-01-2015, 12:40 AM
Another lefty