PDA

View Full Version : dress as a superhero.

ashleymcculloch90
12-15-2014, 03:20 PM
When I was a kid I would always be dressed as a superhero. Something that gave me the similar feeling as dressing as a girl. I still always wear batman t-shirts, because it comforts me. I think it's because like me they hide who they really are with a mask of a normal person (example; Bruce Wayne is Batman's mask) Has anyone else ever felt this way?

Kate Simmons
12-15-2014, 03:48 PM
All the time Ashley. I have to keep my identity a secret so I can accomplish the most good. ;):)

Savannah_Skye
12-15-2014, 07:48 PM
I kind of feel that too when I watch superhero movies/shows fellow Hoosier! Though I lean more towards the Flash than Batman.

Alice Torn
12-15-2014, 07:51 PM
I kind of feel like an undercover agent when i have gone out dressed.

Nadya
12-15-2014, 09:34 PM
I think wearing a mask is pretty typical of people not just in crossdressing. I guess it kind of acts as a defense mechanism or it does for me at least.

Dianne S
12-15-2014, 09:38 PM
I loved my Batman outfit... but probably not for the reason my mom thought. I loved it because it had tights.

When I go out now, I feel I'm unmasking my true self and that when I'm presenting as male I'm wearing a mask.

Brynna M
12-15-2014, 11:35 PM
Its an interesting analogy.

The whole topic of masks is a huge can of worms. Sometimes I think part time girl me is just another layer of the mask. I often wonder if I stripped away all the masks (the shells and filters and restraints the acceptable and semi-acceptable expression) what would be left and would I be ok with it.

LelaK
12-16-2014, 12:30 AM
Yeah, the body is a mask for the soul. My soul identity is a feminine angel. I'm sure angels are heroes.

BouncyBouncy
12-16-2014, 01:45 AM
Now THIS is a conversation I can get into! :daydreaming:

Superheroes are, of course, a MASSIVE part of contemporary culture now. They've always been big, but now they are the single biggest force
in entertainment culture. They are our modern day gods and their stories are our contemporary legends. We learn from them, aspire to be like them, celebrate their victories
and learn ever more about ourselves and our world by exposing ourselves to their experiences. Superheroes speak to the core desires of humanity itself. To be different yet crave acceptance;
to long to help and be of benefit to the world at large; to find our home; to know who we truly are and where our strengths and weaknesses lay; the ever present challenges of hiding elements of
ourselves and the pure power at the core of our beings when we allow said hidden elements to prevail.

It speaks volumes about us as a culture (in the west) that our reigning champion of superheroism is Batman. He has no magical superpower. He is just a man of utter contradiction and a self-righteous
desire to constantly do what he sees to be right. He is a two-sided coin, with each side desperately requiring the other to exist, yet constantly at war between the two. His life is a performance, but not
one imposed by others, but by himself.

I know this feeling so very well, but I don't see it as a negative.

I am a superhero.

I feel empowered to have my two sided coin. When I am her, I am powerful, I am capable, I am able to change the world through simply being her.

And when I am him, I am still me, but simply a different me. No less important; in fact, utterly integral.

Both sides wear a mask out of necessity. But I am not hidden.

I am who I choose to be.

I will dress in strange and magnificent attire and perform acts of bravey

And the world will hate me and then celebrate me and hate me again and love me tomorrow and on and on and on
and it will tear at me and elevate me and fill me with doubt and fill me with light.

And I will keep on doing it.

Because there are others who will see me do it.

And they will know the feeling.

And we will be legends, together.

ashleymcculloch90
12-16-2014, 01:57 AM
What a battle cry!!!!!

I imagined an epic theme playing as you stand atop a heap of fallen enemies, smoke and disaster are your backdrop. Cape flowing wildly in the wind. Reciting your creed as a warning to those that still threaten the peace of your city.

Brandie.n
12-16-2014, 02:36 AM
i was bullied threw school so my superhero mask is superman.He is everything im not strong,courageous,and confidant.

BouncyBouncy
12-16-2014, 02:39 AM
This is our city Ashley :hugs:

And don't think I'm not working on that epic theme as we speak ;)

ashleymcculloch90
12-16-2014, 02:43 AM
This is our city Ashley :hugs:

And don't think I'm not working on that epic theme as we speak ;)

You are going to have to email me a copy if you record it!

BouncyBouncy
12-16-2014, 02:53 AM
You are going to have to email me a copy if you record it!

Oh I'll do you one better - I'll make the film and send you the link, haHA! :cool:

I think you and I are going to be friends...

ashleymcculloch90
12-16-2014, 02:57 AM
I'm sure we are! :)

Send me a PM and I will give you my email

docrobbysherry
12-16-2014, 03:04 AM
Why would anyone want to wear a mask? They're so creepy!:eek: Also, I prefer villains!:devil:

talonX
12-16-2014, 09:31 AM
Bouncy, that was the best thing I've read in a while! I was going to quote from Confessions of a Mask, but that was much more uplifting!

And DocRobbys, between this and your other cosplay post, you're inspiring me to get some pictures taken...

Allison Chaynes
12-16-2014, 11:49 AM
I would love to be a female Punisher.... Francine Castle lol!

immike
12-17-2014, 09:05 AM
I personally love Wonder Woman's outfit!

Sarah Doepner
12-17-2014, 09:38 AM
One other thing about superhero masks is in most cases they eventually either fall away or are snatched by someone close to the hero. There are consequences, some good and others bad, that must be paid when that happens. Loved ones may be threatened by this new information, enemies may be empowered, suspicions confirmed and more questions to be asked. The biggest question is always about trust, never about intent. Be careful my fellow supers, the mask is a powerful item.

Jean 103
12-17-2014, 09:53 AM
Last weekend I went on a road trip to Hollywood’s Walk of Fame, one of the things that I found there were Super Hero’s. I was told they make $400.00 a day having their pictures taken with tourists. That’s Hollywood.

Christie ann
12-17-2014, 10:08 AM
On a similar note, I was in rural Utah where I overheard a conversation between a small boy ( 5ish) and his dad. The dad asked his son which super hero he wanted to be for Halloween. The boy, without missing a beat, said Wonder Woman. The silence after that was deafening.