PDA

View Full Version : Flower Etiquette

karinels
12-17-2014, 04:27 AM
A few weeks ago, a very nice gentle man was the first ever to bring me flowers, a dozen roses. I did find that the gesture will bring tears to my eyes and I have never felt so girly as when I was scrambling around trying to find a vase to put them in. They were beautiful, and soft and I could not believe he did that for me.

But now they are wilted and drying up. How do I go about discarding them? He is visiting more and more frequently, and I do not want him to think I got rid of them for the wrong reason. Should I have tried to preserve at least one somehow? Is there a time frame for keeping fresh flowers? I guess there is more to being a girl than just dresses and make up, and I want to get it right.

Nikkilovesdresses
12-17-2014, 04:55 AM
Well you've left it a little late, but if you want to you can cut off a flowerhead, put it somewhere warm and dry so it won't rot, and in a month it will be 'preserved'. The problem is they go brittle. If they're flat petals you can press them between the pages of a book, then when they're perfectly dry put them in a sleeved photo album (if such things still exist). If a bud failed to open, that is easier to keep as it's so compact. Again detach it, dry it very thoroughly.

Some flowers last much longer than others, and if you live in a warm house (I don't, but many people do!) you can preserve the life of them by putting them in the garage at night, or if you're out all day, or any cool or cold place where they're sheltered from wind. This is why florists' shops are always cold, and why they have huge walk-in refrigerators.

You can also aid preservation by trimming an inch or so off the stems about every 4th day, definitely changing the water every few days, and you can even buy products - florists often tape a small sachet to a bouquet for you to put in the water.

Don't put a vase directly onto a polished wood table, use a ceramic tile, or a saucer, or there's a risk condensation will leave a mark :)

I Am Paula
12-17-2014, 08:41 AM
Flowers die. Throw them out. If he asks (he won't) you make a comment like 'Those were nice and fresh, they just lasted forever and ever.'

Aylineira
12-17-2014, 11:47 AM
You were kinda supposed to preserve them. Just follow what Nikki has posted and maybe you can still keep at least one intact :)

Vala
12-17-2014, 11:49 AM
Flowers never last long in a vase. They tend to die fast without their roots, unless there made from plastic :)
It is possible to dry them as others suggested. Me and wife still have the flower broche from our wedding. It's hanging upside down strapped to a pipe of our central heating system. It is hanging there for more then three years now.

Lorileah
12-17-2014, 11:52 AM
Thus why I like diamonds...they don't wilt

Jaylyn
12-17-2014, 12:11 PM
Dry and press the flowers when they first start to show any change. After they have kind of preserved themselves you can put them in a scrap book page and write on the page if you want. One single flower or two is all that needs to be kept. Especially if they are special to you. You may have already waited too long and may need to take a couple and hang them upside down and discard the rest. They will dry and wilted but might still be able to press them after several days of hanging them.

Minerva Morgan
12-17-2014, 12:32 PM
Gather ye rosebuds while ye may,
Old Time is still a-flying:
And this same flower that smiles to-day
To-morrow will be dying.

"To the Virgins, to Make Much of Time", Robert Herrick (1591-1674).

Minerva.

DonnaT
12-17-2014, 01:39 PM
Once they dry, my wife will put them in a basket or glass bowl for decoration.

Annaliese
12-17-2014, 01:55 PM
Hang them to dry then put them back in the vase

Eringirl
12-17-2014, 03:50 PM
Unless you really want to preserve them because they symbolize a special event or bond between the two of you (e.g. people save them from their weddings, etc), toss 'em. If he is really paying attention, he will get you some fresh ones...:love: .if that is the attention you want from this gentleman...:heehee:

Erin

ReineD
12-17-2014, 04:25 PM
Congratulations on your new boyfriend! :)

Take the best looking stem closest to the bud stage and tie a string around the base of the stem. Remove any loose petals. Hang it upside down in a dry area that has good ventilation for two weeks. This is how I used to preserve the herbs grown in my garden. I'm sure you'll love the keepsake for years to come.

Or you can google how to dry-press a rose in a book.

Persephone
12-17-2014, 08:14 PM
With all of these suggestions on how to preserve his lovely gift I'm glad he didn't bring you a box of chocolates!

Hugs,
Persephone.