PDA

View Full Version : Little things mean a lot

carhill2mn
12-17-2014, 12:43 PM
I am sure most of you have heard the expression "little things mean a lot". The "little things" to which I am referring here are my finger nails. My finger nails do not represent very much of my total body yet, to me they mean a lot especially, for the feminine image I want to to portray.

Let me explain. While growing up on a farm, playing sports, maintaining a house, a cabin and two yards, etc. I used my nails as tools for scraping, picking up things, opening things etc. My mother taught me to keep my nails clean and I ever chewed them so they usually looked OK.

In my 50's my nails started to break, split, look bad, etc. I tried using nail glue, strengtheners, oils. Nothing really helped. I went to a dermatologist and he
told me that the moisture layers in my nails had dried out and there was really nothing that I could do to make my nails look better and be stronger. This was quite disappointing.

About this time I met a young woman who was helping her boyfriend learn more about being a cross dresser. She was a nail tech and suggested that I try wearing gel nails. I went to her salon a couple of times to get gel nails applied and was very happy with the results. Unfortunately, her salon was not near me. I looked around and decided to try a salon that was nearer to my home. I contacted the owner and explained that I was a CD. She said that was not a problem so I began wearing gel nails full-time. This was about 15 years ago.

I love seeing my fingers doing things while wearing a pretty pink or red polish. For me, this completes my feminine image. I plan my male time in such a way as to be able to keep my nails looking pretty as long as possible. The thing I dislike most about having to revert to male mode is having to remove my
pretty polish even though I always wear a neutral colored polish when presenting as a man.

So, for me, little things mean a lot!

Persephone
12-17-2014, 01:16 PM
I totally understand, Carole.

About 15~20 years ago my nails started cracking, not up and down but across, and it really hurt. I used to go and sit with my friend while she had her nails done and one day I asked the manicurist if there was anything she could do for me. "Not unless I apply acrylics," she saidl

So I began wearing acrylic nails and here I am, years later, with long acrylic nails.

Back when I was doing guy image I'd sometimes get asked, "Are those really your nails?"

Usually I'd say, "Yes!"

After all, they were mine, I paid for them. Sometimes I'd say, "No, they really are my friends nails, I just borrowed them for the day."

Hugs,
Persephone.

Annaliese
12-17-2014, 01:20 PM
It is the little thing, nails do mean a lot to me, but being able to wear enhancer every day, is my Littte thing that means a lot.

Beverley Sims
12-17-2014, 01:27 PM
My nails are so long now it's ridiculous, I need to cut them.:)

Abbygirl
12-17-2014, 06:46 PM
Having to take my polish off is the main reason I don't wear it more often. My nails are almost always long, but I rarely apply polish because I can never keep it on more than a day or two. Gel nails would be even more of a commitment so I can relate.

kimdl93
12-17-2014, 06:52 PM
i agree that nice nails can enhance ones overall feminine presentation. Even with my overly large hands, it seems to help.

I don't know the specific cause, but I have heard that cracking, splitting and deformed nails can be indicative of dietary and/or hormonal issues. I'm fortunate that my nails are in pretty good shape, but since I have to present as male part time, I rely on custom artificial nails. Not as pretty as the gel nails IMHO but pretty good.

Allisa
12-17-2014, 09:49 PM
I know exactly what you mean, I try to keep mine as long as I can but because I work with my hands and wear gloves all the time at work I still break or tear a nail or two. I keep my cuticles pushed back and trimmed, treated with vitamin E, and polished with clear and top coat clear shine at all times even in my male mode. I really must get a professional manicure and maybe a pedicure.

RADER
12-17-2014, 10:08 PM
I had the same problem; So I asked my Doctor, he said I might be low on Calcium and
Potassium. He gave me a scrip, and I took some pills for about two weeks.
My nails are like they use to be, adjusted my diet to include more Potassium and
Calcium and now I do not need the pills.
You might want to check with your Doctor.
Rader