PDA

View Full Version : Born this way.

Carolana
01-03-2015, 02:24 PM
In my many years of study, discussion, and debate, I have learned about the subconscious mind and its input into our beliefs, decisions, and conclusions. As well, I have wondered if this "I was born this way" movement is maybe a partial reaction to the unfair and incorrect religious ideology that oversimplifies our decision making, and if in itself may prove to also be an oversimplification. We are complex and highly impressionable beings. Here we are analyzing ourselves, justifying ourselves, and trying to explain ourselves to each other and to society. But in the end, it seems to me that we all arrived here for various reasons and from various situations and pathways. My conclusion is that there's no cookie cutter. But hey, if everyone was right, there'd be no one left. :battingeyelashes:

kimdl93
01-03-2015, 03:30 PM
The borne this way 'movement' as you call it , is really simply the replacement of conjectures of all kinds with good quality scientific evidence. We no longer have to assign responsibility to intangible forces. We have good reason to suspect that genetic and hormonal factors in the womb are responsible for the development of gender identification, as evidenced by similarities between GG and transgender brains in specific brain areas and functional mapping of brain activity.

Carolana
01-03-2015, 03:52 PM
I was wondering, Kim if you would respond. Born has no "e" in it BTW, in relation to birth. And science is behind the discovery and study of the subconscious mind as well. But I see that you are applying this to gender identification. I want to remind you that cross dressing is not just about gender identification. It is often about gender 'association', as in my case. Identifying myself 'with' the female gender is not the same as identifying myself 'as being' a female. I hope you can find it in your heart (subconscious) to recognize the difference between those two and that there is no universal truth that determines our common behavior. Why put it into such a box? Does it help you in some way to accept it?

kimdl93
01-03-2015, 04:05 PM
I just happen to like the "e" in borne. I get to choose, even if someone else doesn't like it. Similarly, we can quibble about a difference between association and identification, and the quality of science as applied to the subconscious or conscious mind. My bias in this area would be that it be grounded in the observable and measurable.

We are a long way from possessing anything that can be characterized as universal truth. Till the...or Until, if you prefer....we can observe, document, test and hypothesize. You are welcome to suggest that each of us got to be who we are by any mechanism you can imagine, whether it's genetic, developmental or the consequence of other dynamics.

Tammy Lynn Tx
01-03-2015, 04:51 PM
Carolana, I quit trying to figure out why I dress in ladies clothing years ago and decided to just enjoy it.:D

Carolana
01-03-2015, 06:18 PM
Tammy. My point was and is that in my case I actually have it figured out. I have on several posts indicated that my experience with cross dressing began with and still is primarily about sexual gratification. Like many here, I have acquired and posses all I need to go fully en femme and have covertly gone out that way on several occasions. In every case I ended the night with a sexual climax. Whenever I have one while dressed, the game ends and I immediately go back to my guy persona. In fact I am perfectly comfortable using such words as kinky and fetish in relation to my experience.

The thing is that I have assumed over the years that this kind of association is common among cross dressers. However I don't see anyone here relating to it the same as myself, or at least not in such plain language. And frankly because of that and coupled with a few challenges and corrections to my points of view, I have ironically begun to feel a little out of place here. I know a lot of guys here are claiming that they like and prefer being male, but I don't see them linking their activity with sex the way I do. I am reaching out for some acceptance here. I am entitled to my own relationship with cross dressing and my own observations without being placed in someone else's box. I know why I cross dress and how it started. I don't need anyone 's correction. Color me different. Examine my OP. I refrained from any absolutes (words like 'may', 'maybe, 'partial', 'various'). No box.

Allisa
01-03-2015, 06:56 PM
Ok, my take is that we as a species are evolving from the previous ages and combining the sensitivities and reasoning of the two genders into a more mono-humanoid being, and that we as CDers are just reacting to that change, thus the reason it is so difficult to come to a conclusion on WHY. And with the advent of the information age being more available to the masses at a younger age this evolving is speeding up. There is still the need to procreate so the change is mental not physical thus the need to wear the clothing of the opposite gender which we seem to have no power over it is just a natural thing for us.I guess I have too much time to think and ponder things out of the box.

BLUE ORCHID
01-03-2015, 07:13 PM
Hi Carolana, It's just who I am and it's just what I do.:daydreaming:

CynthiaD
01-03-2015, 07:49 PM
I think that the idea that "I was born this way" comes from the homosexual community, in reaction to the horrible abuse that many have been subjected to to try and force them to change their sexuality. If you were " born that way" then no amount of abuse can change you, thus discouraging the abuse before it happens.

I suspect that no one was "born that way," regardless of what you're talking about, but it hardly matters. Abuse, harassment and shunning won't change anything. If any change is to be made, you need to make the choice yourself, not have it forced upon you. Consider, for a moment, religious persecution. Throughout history people have been subjected to hideous abuse and outright murder in an effort to get them to change their religion. It has never worked. The persecuted go into hiding, but they don't change. I suspect that most people care as much or more about their sexuality and gender identity as they do about their religion. (Not to make light of either.) you can't force a person to change any of these things.

In the final analysis, I'm fine with the idea that "I was born this way." It conveniently sidesteps an enormously complicated issue for the sake of those who have no wish to understand the issues. And it brings us to the correct conclusion. We deserve to live our lives as we see fit, not as others wish us to be. And we deserve to live in peace and harmony with our fellow men and women.

Beverley Sims
01-03-2015, 08:02 PM
I think I was a good Saturday night wasted. :)

kimdl93
01-03-2015, 08:28 PM
J
In the final analysis, I'm fine with the idea that "I was born this way." It conveniently sidesteps an enormously complicated issue for the sake of those who have no wish to understand the issues. And it brings us to the correct conclusion. We deserve to live our lives as we see fit, not as others wish us to be. And we deserve to live in peace and harmony with our fellow men and women.

"Born this way" sidesteps nothing, to the extent that is reflects an understanding based in the observable. The complicated issues you allude are anecdotal explanations offered by individuals, applying to an "n" of one, susceptible to faulty and sometimes false memory. Born this way is not a construct of the homosexual community. It is,observable, biologically speaking, which is far more than one can say about all social causes offered to 'explain' either gender identification (association) or sexual preference.

Sara Jessica
01-03-2015, 08:55 PM
CD = something you do. TG = identity (who you are). How you describe yourself is up to you and the truth in this has to do with whether you are honest with your own narrative. That same honesty speaks volumes about whether you were born this way.