PDA

View Full Version : Question about HRT and weight

BeckyW
01-07-2015, 01:13 PM
I'm planning to start HRT sometime this year. Things are at the point where I can lose my libido due to taking antidepressants, or lose it due to taking HRT. The antidepressants help with my dysphoria, but only because they make me feel generally numb. I'd rather take estrogen and have a chance at actually feeling good.

So, anyway, part of the timing for this is that right now, I'm 6'1, and I weigh 260. Ideally, I'd like to get my weight down to 160, because all my weight is in my belly, and I either look like a guy in a dress, or a pregnant guy in a dress. :-)

I know this is a YMMV sort of thing, but I'm wondering if I'm better off going on HRT sooner than later and hopefully feeling happy enough that I don't need to take the antidepressants (which would help me lose weight), or will it be easier to lose weight while I still have testosterone in my system? For what it's worth, my T level is pretty low for a guy already.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Angela Campbell
01-07-2015, 03:33 PM
Are you planning to transition? Using hormones just to feel better is a risky thing, do you suffer from GD? will having breasts or having a feminine appearance going to be an issue? Will using antidepressants help the issues?

BeckyW
01-07-2015, 04:42 PM
Are you planning to transition? Using hormones just to feel better is a risky thing, do you suffer from GD? will having breasts or having a feminine appearance going to be an issue? Will using antidepressants help the issues?

Hi Angela-

I think I mis-explained (is that a word?) my situation... I am miserable living as guy, have always felt female on the inside, and am planning on eventually transitioning. (I'm 46 if that's of any importance). My wife is on board with this. I'm generally trying to work out the details of the whole process, which is why I'm wondering about the weight loss.

As far as appearance goes, I've been feminizing my appearance for a little over a year now. I've grown my hair out, gotten my ears pierced, and have started on laser for my facial hair. I actually get gendered female quite frequently when shopping with my wife (in drab mode) by sales people.

I've been on antidepressants for the past 20 years. Figured out a little over a year ago that the root cause of my anxiety and depression is GD. (Spent most of my life in a conservative christian environment, so prior to now, I just assumed my feelings were sinful, and buried them).

The problem is that the antidepressants sort of treat the symptoms (anxiety and depression), in that they numb the negative emotions, but it's at the cost of numbing positive emotions too. I have no joy. I want to finally work on the problem (GD) itself.

So- hopefully, that better explains where I'm coming from.

Kaitlyn Michele
01-07-2015, 06:06 PM
Your lifestyle...diet/stress(cortisol)/exercise will have more impact on your weight than HRT..

Prior to HRT I was well above 200 lbs...I ended up settling in around 165.... That was all diet and exercise.

My cholesterol did go up a bit.

I was 45-46 when I started hormones.

Melissa_Rose
01-07-2015, 07:17 PM
Metabolically speaking, ability to lose weight is a function of metabolism verses caloric intake. While hrt may not effect things directly it will effect muscle mass. Loss of muscle mass will mean a decreased daily caloric need. In effect, yes it could make it harder to loose weight (fat tissue). Losing muscle mass will cause some absolute weight loss because muscle tissue is heavy
However, loss of abdominal fat will be much more difficult.

BeckyW
01-07-2015, 08:49 PM
Metabolically speaking, ability to lose weight is a function of metabolism verses caloric intake. While hrt may not effect things directly it will effect muscle mass.

Ok, that's what I needed to know. My goal is to start HRT sometime late this year, unless I just can't take it any more, so hopefully, I can lose most of the fat while I still have muscle.