PDA

View Full Version : Sense of humor

Kate Simmons
01-09-2015, 11:49 AM
Some folks on here just seem to be so dead serious all the time in connection with CDing, going out and the like. Personally I see a lot of potential humor in the situations we can get into and when makeup or wardrobe malfunctions happen.In fact sometimes I think I could have my own sit-com.:heehee: It happens to everyone and let's face it not too many of us are VS models, myself included.I use even the bad experiences to my advantage as an opportunity to learn. The point is instead of getting upset or mad when things don't work out I usually see the humor in it and at least smile if not outright laugh. Besides, if we can't laugh at ourselves once in awhile, who can we laugh at?What do you all think?:battingeyelashes::)

bridget thronton
01-09-2015, 11:52 AM
I think you are right Kate. My thoughts are if it is not fun why do it.

Persephone
01-09-2015, 12:30 PM
Hi Kate!

You mean like the time I was leaving a very classy place and my skirt fell down around my ankles? Fortunately, I was wearing a very nice black slip so it wasn't totally noticable. But one woman saw what happened very clearly and looked aghast. As I pulled up my skirt I looked at her, placed my finger to my lips, made a "Shhhhh" sound, smiled, and walked out like nothing had happened. Wardrobe malfunction!

Hugs,
Persephone.

Aerotgirl
01-09-2015, 12:33 PM
My humour style trends to be satirical, dark, and dry. It often does not translate to forum posts. I have had people take what I said too seriously and it has caused problems in the past. Perhaps others have a similar reason for avoiding humor in their posts.

Dani

Roli F
01-09-2015, 12:38 PM
Had a wardrobe Malfunction out this Wednesday out in Manchester UK
bargain tights waistband separated from the rest whilst out, had a mad dash to Tescos for replacements. Ended up with nicer pair than I had then carried on with my trip out

Helen_Highwater
01-09-2015, 12:47 PM
Like Persephone I've had a skirt go south on me when out and about, or gone out when the wind's so strong it tried to take my wig off (luckily I had a scarf to tie it down with as walking around with a hand on top of your head will attract looks) and sod's law says there will always be someone to witness it and try to post the pic on Facebook.

kimdl93
01-09-2015, 12:49 PM
Two essentials for a transgendered girl like me needs most are a thick skin and a sense of humor.

Sallee
01-09-2015, 01:26 PM
A sense of humor is important for everything. Don't take yourself to seriously it riuns all the fun. Us CDers need to loosen up and laugh at ourselves. Lets face it we are trying to have a good time so lets smile and laugh

Nikkilovesdresses
01-09-2015, 01:36 PM
If you need cheering up try TinaZ's ukelele videos. My faves are TG Week and her wonderful rendition of Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas, on YouTube. She's adorable, and her sense of humour rocks.

Me- I prefer to be very serious at all times; this is a serious spiritual path we're on. Seriously. We should be more serious, not less.

Seriously,

Nikki

Ressie
01-09-2015, 02:01 PM
Had a short conversation on this topic with another CD about a month ago. Of course, there are serious issues that we encounter in the TG world that need to be discussed from time to time. But there's so much fun we can have the rest of the time. I learned that I had to be able to laugh at myself long ago (being in the entertainment field). I think as CDs we entertain people just being out en femme. So I agree. Lighten up a little. ;)

NicoleScott
01-09-2015, 02:40 PM
Seriously. We should be more serious, not less.

There is a time to be serious, and there is a time for humor. Sounds like a good topic for a song: To every thing turn turn turn....whoops, already been done.
Laughter, humor, comic relief....it's good for us. Seriously.
By the way, good comedians take humor very seriously. Not an oxymoron.

Rachael Leigh
01-09-2015, 02:49 PM
Kate you could not be more right, there really is so much humor in this aspect of our lives as crossdressers, yes we have serious moments in some of our relationships but yes this is suppose to be fun.

JayeLefaye
01-09-2015, 02:59 PM
With over 12,000 "view" since September;

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?218524-You-might-be-a-crossdresser-if

I'd say we're pretty well able to share a laugh or two:-)

Or, to quote Mick Jagger: F**k 'em if they can't take a joke...But I think most of us can, it's the minority who loses perspective.

Jaye

mykell
01-09-2015, 03:01 PM
kate ill be waiting for the sit-com, the writers would have a field day with the concept im sure, if "will and grace" can make it to syndication this venue should rock, look what has been done in cartoons for years....and most times tastefully.....

Nikki A.
01-09-2015, 03:25 PM
I've had the skirt go south also and I've been made even when I thought I've looked good. Either way, gotta have a sense of humor, a thick skin and keep on going.
Mishaps happen.

Kate Simmons
01-09-2015, 03:28 PM
I'm waiting for an episode of "World's Dumbest CDer's" What that gang would have to say would be hilarious, especially Brad. I met him at the club a few years back when I was Ericka when he was performing there.:)

Jorja
01-09-2015, 03:59 PM
If you have read any of my posts, you will know that I do have a sense of humor about dressing and Transness in general. Sometimes one can't help but laugh at some of the situations we find ourselves in. If you can't laugh at yourself it's going to be a long boring ride to the grave.

Beverley Sims
01-09-2015, 04:42 PM
I look at myself in the mirror sometimes and find it laughable.
Then I think....... Back tothe drawing board.
We get ourselves into some awkward situations and yes it is indeed laughable.
Placing yourself in danger or hazardous situations is just plain stupidity.
Only New Yorkers take life seriously, those on the West Coast are more laid back and see humour in any awkward situation.

Brenda456
01-09-2015, 04:47 PM
Fun and a sense of humor are crucial to life. At least, that is my belief!

Adriana Moretti
01-09-2015, 05:04 PM
I make fun of myself all the time.......you HAVE to have a sense of humor about things....it also keeps it fun

CynthiaD
01-09-2015, 05:17 PM
I like to crack jokes, and I joke around about everything except crossdressing. If crossdressing were accepted as a normal part of life, I would joke about it. But all too often people think that laughing and poking fun at crossdressers is ok. It's not ok. And I'm not going to suggest that it is ok by making jokes about it myself.

That doesn't mean I can't see the humor in it, or in the "little things that go wrong." Quite the contrary. But the overall message I want to send to others is that I'm serious about this, and I expect it to be taken seriously.

Katey888
01-09-2015, 05:44 PM
There is a time to be serious, and there is a time for humor. Sounds like a good topic for a song: To every thing turn turn turn....whoops, already been done.
Laughter, humor, comic relief....it's good for us. Seriously.
By the way, good comedians take humor very seriously. Not an oxymoron.

Nicole dear - I'm with you on this one... there is a smiling fortune teller to be struck... or a happy medium, if you prefer. (Best never to CD as a wandering Romany woman then... ;))

I often see the funny side of what we do... I haven't experienced any great faux pas while out, but I've had a few at private moments (and private they will stay).

But Kate, you clearly have been fortunate enough to find a balance, and have the environment and personal circumstances to do it - not everyone is as fortunate as you, and others, in that regard. We do see some quite serious issues being discussed here, and even though I trust that I will never have to confront them myself, I can really feel for the folk that have to find a way to cope with serious GID and all the relationship issues that creates.

My opinion on the whole is that life is one, big cosmic joke... goodness knows what part we're meant to play in it though... always look on the bright side of life... [Exits - whistling]

Katey x

Carolana
01-09-2015, 06:19 PM
Agreed. We all need a good laugh from time to time....(as opposed to all those bad ones we normally have?) :heehee:

Alice Torn
01-09-2015, 06:38 PM
Sometimes take it in the shorts.. or is that skirts, and try to be a good sport.

Kate Simmons
01-09-2015, 08:13 PM
Just to clarify, I take friendships very seriously, especially TG friendships as I know we deal with unique issues. When it comes to myself, however, I like to have fun with it as my issues are settled as Katey pointed out. When we get to know others we realize these things. Enjoy being yourselves my friends.:battingeyelashes::)

paulaprimo
01-09-2015, 08:26 PM
i have a fantastic sense of humor and love to laugh.
i laugh at myself all of the time... but then again i have sooooo much to work with!
i don't think i ever say anthing serious, seriously!! :)

justmetoo
01-09-2015, 10:16 PM
I'm in agreement with everyone above. A sense of humor is a very good thing to have. The thing is humor doesn't always come across in a medium like this. I've been told I have a very dry sense of humor, as dry as the Atacama Desert. I do see people being serious here (sometimes too serious about some of the silliest things), but also quite a bit of humor, too. :D

KellyJameson
01-09-2015, 10:39 PM
I earned six strands of beads at Mardi Gras and than gave them to my mother. I thought it was really funny "considering"

She on the other hand did not.

P.S Lots of alcohol was involved at the time and I don't usually drink.

Jason+
01-09-2015, 10:44 PM
. always look on the bright side of life... [Exits - whistling]

Katey x

Comedic Genius!

I have been fortunate enough not to have a skirt declare it's independence and dive for the floor however a poor choice in stay-ups that ultimately didn't sent me scurrying for the corners of the grocery store to try and as tastefully as possible right them enough to get out of the store. :D Less comical for me perhaps but to any observers....

If I manage to lose my sense of humor they truly have won.

Jaymees22
01-09-2015, 10:49 PM
If we can't see the humor in this part of our lives then something is really wrong. Jaymee

ShelbyDawn
01-09-2015, 11:14 PM
I agree totally that we need to have a sense of humor about not just dressing, but about life in general. I believe that it is just too short to not look for the humor in a situation.

It is going to be a long struggle for us to get most of society to truly accept us "as is" and as such we do need to be cautious to not make ourselves out to be a joke.
We also need to be careful to not take ourselves too seriously lest be be seen as a militant fringe group.

As it pertains to this forum, I would caution that your posts, even with liberal dosages of emoticons, have no real context and things like sarcasm and hyperbole can and will be interpreted as serious comments and, as a couple of mine have done, can turn into real flame wars that will catch the ire of our wonderful moderators...

"Gabriela"
01-09-2015, 11:53 PM
I just love "Cyanide & Happiness"!

Yeap! We definitely need to laugh at ourselves once in a while. Not everything must be that bad anyway!

DorothyElizabeth
01-10-2015, 12:16 AM
A friend and I were talking one day about my losing my house, and I laughed. He asked me how I could laugh at a thing like that, and I said, "You have to be able to laugh at yourself. Otherwise, you'll go nuts."
"Too late," was his reply. :straightface:

lynda
01-10-2015, 06:51 AM
jimmy buffet sang we are all crazy but it keeps us from going insane. you know you just have to laugh at yourself. like one time im out dressed in this wrap skirt , you know feeling cool it was one of the maxi skirts well im walkink my heel catches the skirt and off it comes im scarmbeling trying to wrap it back up in my undies.wtf you have to laugh . hugs lynda

Maria 60
01-10-2015, 07:20 AM
I to in the past have had humours things happen, my daughter wearing my dress to a party, leaving items out etc. etc. But when reading the post one can't help but notice the different emotions. There's good stories and there's bad, just like everyday life, there's good and bad. I always try to see the positive in things, and maybe your right maybe we should light in up a little .

BLUE ORCHID
01-10-2015, 07:28 AM
Hi Kate, Sometimes just looking in the mirror will give you a good laugh.

Been there and done that.:daydreaming:

Marcelle
01-10-2015, 07:33 AM
Hi Kate,

Very sound advice . . . if you can't laugh at yourself then you cannot have fun just being. I like the idea about learning from your mistakes.

This past summer I was wearing a very light(material wise) summer skirt, a top and sandals. I was taking the bus around the city and heading to lunch date with GG friends. Upon exiting the building I saw my bus barrelling down the street to the stop on the corner and if I missed it, I would have to wait another 20 minutes for the next one. So, I did what I would normally do . . . RUN! Now, I had never run in skirt before let alone a light material skirt on a windy day . . . don't jump ahead :). There is something about prevailing winds, my running gait and of course a crowed bus stop which the fickle gods of fate could not ignore. Let's just say that the people at the bus stop know more about my choice of undies that day than I wished they did. I still got on the bus though.

Lesson learned . . . always run with one hand holding the hem of your skirt down :o

Hugs

Isha

Claire Cook
01-10-2015, 07:42 AM
Let's face it, we ARE pretty funny! And we have to take it in stride. (Our prettiest femme strides, of course. :battingeyelashes:) I'd love to hear more OOPS! stories. Here's one I've related before. AnneMarie is a GG friend who helps us with landscaping, but didn't know about Claire. So we are out digging and planting. I'm in drab, but with my forms in and a loose shirt not tucked in. I'm, bending over doing something and guess what plops out (I'm wearing a loose fitting bra, tsk tsk) ... She is working next to me, looks down and ... err .. I say something like "Guess I'd better put my boob back in." She: "Yes, I think you should..." (Don't you just love it when people are cool like that!)

So the next couple of times she checks out my chest, even though the girls aren't in.

Teresa
01-10-2015, 08:50 AM
Kate ,
I'd miss the forum for some of the funny stories people tell of their CDing experiences !
When I look back to the doom and gloom when I first joined, I have begun to see the lighter and funnier side of CDing ! I wish I could share some of my funny moments with my wife but in doing so may reveal something of my CDing she's not aware of !

As you may remember I've had some funny reveals while walking the dog, no way you can take that seriously when you've put yourself in that situation in the first place !

Krisi
01-10-2015, 09:07 AM
My attempts at humor have not done well and usually end up being deleted so that leaves me with being serious most of the time. Besides many of the posts here are serious to the poster and it's insulting to that person to make a joke of his/her post.

KittyD
01-10-2015, 10:03 AM
Life is too short & too boring not to have a Sense of humor...
I always laugh at myself and let others laugh at me...!
But there again everyone has different levels of whats funny & whats not...

The other Kate :D

Julogden
01-10-2015, 10:14 AM
Yep, a sense of humor is mandatory for me, as I'm 6'5", not too hard to find humor in my situation. Then there are the things that I've tried over the years that didn't quite go as planned. My favorite learning experience is the time I decided to lighten my eyebrows a little. I got some bleach made for facial hair, slathered it onto my eyebrows and then left it on WAY too long, ended up with very light reddish blond eyebrows. :bonk:

CarlaWestin
01-10-2015, 11:27 AM
Besides many of the posts here are serious to the poster and it's insulting to that person to make a joke of his/her post.

I've been cursed with a good sense of humor along with rapier wit. It's gotten me thrown off of a few panties-in-a-knot sites but, I'm not snuffing out that colorful side of my personality. I do temper my responses here to match the feeling of the thread. But, sometimes the humor in something is just glaring. Like the thread about piloting airplanes while dressed. All I could think about was a parachute and a dress blowing straight up to reveal heels, stockings and garter belt.

I don't know, that's kinda' funny. Isn't it?

Jamie Christopher
01-10-2015, 11:47 AM
I agree; "if it's not fun I'm not going".... Life is too short to take things too seriously; "just roll with it": Steve Winwood.