PDA

View Full Version : Overnight Stay in Hospital...

Leah Lynn
01-09-2015, 09:05 PM
Yesterday we had a fun weather day; snow and 40 mph winds. I had to run to a farm 130 miles away, spend half the day, then head back. In an 18 wheeler, a tanker trailer, half full.

Not the smartest thing to do, but at least there were three of us running together. I just followed the taillights going back. When I could see them.

Upon returning to our plant, I was experiencing some chest pain, shortness of breath, weakness. So, the plant foreman insisted on running me to the hospital. Okay, relax, the heart's fine.

I thought that I may be out overnight, so I took my bag of meds with me. Cardiac and hrt meds. I took them with me to the ER, and the nurse registered my meds into my record, as I haven't been in this one since well before beginning hrt. Naturally, I get the question as to why I have estrogen. I explain; no visible reaction, but she says, "We have to do what we have to do."

On the ward, same thing. The fun part there, I've known this nurse since she was in grade school, as I was friends with her parents back then. Then each shift receives the information. This is a small town, and I'm sure someone is going to talk.

I'm viewing this as a "backhanded" blessing. If word goes out, that's fewer people I have to tell when I do start rle.

No one ever said that life was easy.

Hugs,

Leah

justmetoo
01-09-2015, 10:22 PM
I hope you are okay! Take care. I also hope all goes well with your small town. Best wishes, Leah!

whowhatwhen
01-09-2015, 10:32 PM
Good to hear that your ticker is fine.
I saw a walk-in doctor who couldn't understand why I was taking estrogen until I had to almost spell it out.
I guess some just either aren't up on things or aren't approving of it themselves.

Rianna Humble
01-09-2015, 11:28 PM
Sorry you had to go to hospital but glad it was not a heart attack.

Sounds like the nurse was being very professional. Doubt she will bring it up outside of work as that would be professional misconduct.

Marcia Blue
01-10-2015, 12:15 AM
Actually, HIPA should protect your information. Medical staff are required to keep all information confidential. They are not even supposed to discuss patients, with other staff unless they need to know.
Breaking confidentiality is reason for dismissal.

Karen62
01-10-2015, 03:40 AM
So glad to read your health is OK after all. I do hope that these medical professionals can be mature people as well, but I love your positive spin on it regardless. Stay healthy, hon!

Karen

charlenesomeone
01-10-2015, 06:11 AM
Glad you are OK, lots of stress in that drive. Stay healthy, and hope things around town go well.
Hugs

Leah Lynn
01-10-2015, 05:08 PM
I'm fine, stress kicked the acid reflux into high gear. I know that staff aren't supposed to discuss a patient, except on a need to know basis, but I'm probably the first trans person most of them have encountered, knowingly. I'm getting closer to beginning rle, so I really don't care. I was a little surprised that no one stared at me like I just exited a flying saucer, though. All were as calm as if it were an everyday occurance. But then, maybe it is and I just don't know all those other girls here!?! Nah, not in Iowa Falls.

Stay well, stay safe and stay pretty. I will, too!

Leah

Eringirl
01-10-2015, 09:16 PM
Hi Leah. Whew, glad you are okay. They probably won't say anything outside the hospital that can identify you. That is a good way to get written up or fired?

Erin