PDA

View Full Version : Dressing to blend is so liberating!

michelleddg
01-11-2015, 01:38 PM
Yes, I'm the original girly girl. Dressing for the grocery store is the same as dressing for the Oscars, right?

Love my dresses, love my high heels, love my nylons, love my fake eyelashes.

So, yesterday's outing was outside my usual norms. Rainy and cold, so I settled for skinny jeans, modest gray top with some sparkles, flats, and a waist length black leather jacket. Daytime makeup.

I'm a confident girl but, wow, once at the mall I felt freeeee! It was clear early on nobody was checking me out and I had the run of the place. So, that's what blending is all about, is it? Pretty darn cool.

First stop was my beloved MAC counter. Macy's was a buzz, MAC counter was a buzz with maybe 10 artistes and tons of customers, many with their bored boy friends and husbands in tow. I caught the eye of my fav artiste who immediately came over and gave me a hug. We've Facebook friends so it's pretty easy to catch up on girl chat. I asked her to critique my makeup. "Girl, I could glam you up but this is a fine daytime look." Woo hoo!

On to DSW and Nordstrom Rack to peruse the aisles and try on shoes without a care in the world. Again, nobody was checking me out (for whatever reason: dude alert, overdressed, hot babe, tall chick, etc.) Just free to go about my business.

What a fun and liberating change of pace! Hugs, Michelle

justmetoo
01-11-2015, 01:46 PM
That's great, Michelle! While I've always worn skirts and not jeans when I go out I often keep it pretty casual. I think my style does blend in enough (and being "older" also helps, since people don't scrutinize "older" women as much as they do younger women.). It is nice to be able to walk around and do your thing without drawing much attention (especially for a shy person like me).

Eringirl
01-11-2015, 02:01 PM
:cheer: Michelle ! Well done!

Personally, I always dress to blend. It is a great feeling isn't it !! :D

I see more fun at the mall for you in your future !! :yahoo:

Erin

Sara Jessica
01-11-2015, 02:11 PM
I'm right there with you on all fronts. Isn't it nice to be so nimble in ballet flats? As for the look you describe, I call it "casual chic" which can be every bit as feminine, beautiful and put-together as dressing to the nines. So very wel done!!! :)

Richelle
01-11-2015, 02:34 PM
Michelle

That is the way I go out all the time. It is so much more relaxing that dressing to the "nines" when all the GG are not.

Richelle

Heidi Stevens
01-11-2015, 02:37 PM
I'm so glad that you are doing the things you love to do in everyday life, Michelle. Women are not always going to fancy balls, high power business affairs or other occasions that require formal attire. No, most ladies are dressed to do the tasks and pleasures of everyday life. It's why I dress to blend in. You can still dress very feminine with out a silk dress and 4" heels.
Blending is the best way to enjoy every aspect of a woman's life. And when the opportunity presents itself, gowns and heels can be fun too.

Leslie Langford
01-11-2015, 02:56 PM
Based on all the responses here so far, michelle, it sounds as if you are preaching to the choir. ;) Count me in among the group who always goes out with the intent of blending in, although I do try to dress as bit more "put together" than the average GG, and tend to favor skirts, tops, dresses, pantyhose, and modest heels to up the ante a bit.

I like to think of this as being a bit of "extra insurance" so as not get awkward or disapproving looks from the GG's that I encounter, because even if they "read" me, the image I present is one that is respectful of women and underlines my attempt to emulate them as role models, as opposed to looking like a drag queen or a "ho".

windycissy
01-11-2015, 03:31 PM
You broke the code! Dressing to blend is really the same thing as acting like a woman, after all if you were a woman would you want to get all gussied up every time you had to go to the market to pick up a quart of milk? Of course, there are times when it's fun to get dressed up, and I actually seek out places where the girls are wearing skirts and stockings, like downtown in a big city. But most of the time, I'm as relaxed and casual as the women I aspire to be.

Dianne S
01-11-2015, 03:38 PM
I must admit, I probably overdressed slightly today when I went to pick up groceries. I wore a skirt instead of jeans and a really nice wool coat. But I think I blended nicely; no-one seemed to look twice. Well, except one guy looked at me for a while in the parking lot and smiled at me, but I have no idea if he read me or fancied me. It's killing me to know which one! :)

I dropped off groceries at my Mom's and as I was leaving someone else got in the elevator and started talking to me. When I replied, she kind of stared at me... I think my voice may have betrayed me. But I don't think she was sure because she left the elevator with a very puzzled expression...

Beverley Sims
01-11-2015, 04:09 PM
Dressing to blend is convenient.

GretchenJ
01-11-2015, 04:31 PM
I agree that dressing to blend is a totally different experience.

Question for you - and anyone else for that matter, what do you differently makeup wise for blending as opposed to normal.

Dermablend is is a must do for shadows, this dictates foundation to blend in the colors, then powder.

Jamie Christopher
01-11-2015, 04:35 PM
Michelle I know what you mean, and couldn't agree more. I shop in jeans with a knit top (with bra & forms of course) flat boots, flats or 2" wedge shoes, and daytime makeup; nude eye shadow, a bit of brown eyeliner, a bit of brown mascara, light powder, natural pink lipstick. I really don't get noticed much, and like it that way. Great post, thanks,

Jamie

michelleddg
01-11-2015, 04:59 PM
Question for you - and anyone else for that matter, what do you differently makeup wise for blending as opposed to normal.

Good question. Yesterday, the false eyelashes, red lip and smoky eye (or at least dark eye shadows) stayed at home in lieu of
mascara, nude lip and light, daytime eyeshadows. Foundation, contouring, and eyebrows generally stay the same.

My profile photo is an amped-up evening look. Hugs, Michelle

Angie G
01-11-2015, 05:26 PM
Oh if I could only pass. Well it sounds like you had loads of fun shopping. You go girl.:hugs:
Angie

Rachael Leigh
01-11-2015, 05:31 PM
Sounds like a fun day, I so agree Michelle blending is fun and more relaxing

Miss Melissa
01-11-2015, 06:10 PM
Good for you! I have to fight every instinct in me to dress to blend. I just can't stop myself from looking like I'm going out to a party!

Eryn
01-11-2015, 06:42 PM
I pretty much dress to blend every time I go out. The beauty of it is that "blending" still involves putting a nice outfit together from a wide range of possibilities. Just because I'm not trying for "belle of the ball" doesn't mean that I can't dress stylishly and attractively.

Julie Denier
01-11-2015, 06:42 PM
Good for you, Michelle! Me, I like my dresses and heels too much ;)

Jean 103
01-11-2015, 07:31 PM
I use to think if I can’t wear at least a skirt and heels why bother. Now that I dress more to the event I am attending. Like yesterday I went to an art museum wearing flats. I did it more to blend in, but once I was there I realized that the sound of heals would have been distracting to the other patrons and taken away from enjoying the art. I’m on the road right now, well in the parking lot outside Denny’s, returning from a three day week end, yes again. More latter. Love Jean

justmetoo
01-11-2015, 07:32 PM
What Eryn said. Dressing to blend doesn't mean you have to be a slob or go with the lowest common denominator. Like Leslie, you can be stylish and put together. Depending on the circumstances you can still wear skirts, even a bit of a heel, and/or something nice and feminine. Just raise the general tone a little, not dressed to the nines. :D
Same goes for makeup, keep it light and fairly natural. Nude or light-colored lips rather than red, for example, less dramatic/colorful eye makeup, that sort of thing. And have a little fun with it, too. A smile helps a lot I think.

Marcelle
01-11-2015, 07:48 PM
Hi Michelle,

Dressing to blend is what I normally do but it depends on the venue. If I am going out with my GG friends to a nice restaurant, I will dress up in line with what the female clientele is wearing. Malls . . . jean and boots gal myself. Make-up tends to stick to the neutral pallet. Glad you enjoyed your daylight blending experience.

Hugs

Isha

BLUE ORCHID
01-11-2015, 07:59 PM
Hi Michelle, The only second looks that you get are nods of acceptance.:daydreaming:

prene
01-11-2015, 08:09 PM
Great story.

I have been dressing to blend in and love it.
I wish I was shorter and did not have thunder thighs but when you do not get second looks it is like I am accepted.

Love it.

Much better than going out to curvy and extremely feminine.

Jenniferathome
01-11-2015, 08:34 PM
...Question for you - and anyone else for that matter, what do you differently makeup wise for blending as opposed to normal. ...

Gretchen, "daytime" or "casual" make up is as minimal as can be. Have to cover the beard, but for eyeshadow, I'll use Ulta Naked. Just earth tones and very subtle. I use mascara but lightly. Eyeliner is minimal and usually brown. Lipstick is nudes to very muted reds, more like lip balm with a tint in it. Jewelry is minimal: my wedding ring and maybe a small necklace. For evening, eyeshadow will have color, lipstick as well. Necklaces and bracelets are more prominent.

Sometimes Steffi
01-11-2015, 09:53 PM
As for the look you describe, I call it "casual chic" which can be every bit as feminine, beautiful and put-together as dressing to the nines.

I call it "girl light"

docrobbysherry
01-11-2015, 09:57 PM
Dressing to blend must be great for those that mite pass. And, is necessary for trans that dress often or every day. But, for closet dressers and those that r obviously "a man in a dress" no matter what they wear, like me, it may be a wasted effort.

I put dressing to blend rite up there with: visits to the dentist, seeing smoke coming from beneath my car, and discussions with my ex!

I dress to blend about 340 days a year in drab. And, I never worry about made, being laffed at, being condesceded to, or being noticed at all. When I dress, I want to look good or I won't bother.

kimdl93
01-11-2015, 09:59 PM
Great word for describing a successful blend...liberating! Able to go about your business as a any other woman without any unwanted attention...really without any attention at all.

S. Lisa Smith
01-11-2015, 10:01 PM
I always dress to blend. I want to be seen and be treated as just one of the girls!!