PDA

View Full Version : Mental crossdressing

mechamoose
01-17-2015, 07:06 PM
So.. a lot of you may remember that I recently took a management position for a national company's NE region.

I had to cut out almost all of my daily female presentation. I got to keep my pony-tail, but even 'mall level' earrings were 'too much'. So, I had to swap to button front shirts, creased pants and wing-tips.

I'm leading a group of techies running from 5-ish years of experience to 20+ years. The last two managers these guys had were 'Managers'. Critters who had NO technical experience. I was worried when I was first given this position about my acceptance, but I have pretty much 100% acceptance by the crew. (Yah, I know that is unusual, and I'm lucky).

I find myself becoming a form of 'Mom' to them. My female traits are showing up, regardless of my 'collar-stay'd role.

Each team member has individual needs and strengths. After initial bluster, each one is getting comfortable with showing me where they are weak. I have other managers asking me for advice and thoughts on problems they are working with. The team who is 'upward facing' to the parent company is forwarding my ideas.

I'm resentful of not being able to wear pretties, but I'm still very much able to take on a female role here. I'm becoming Mom/Auntie. I just wish I could do it in a big swishy skirt. :)

"
This above all- to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.

Pelonius. Hamlet, A1, S3

<3

- MM

BLUE ORCHID
01-17-2015, 08:12 PM
Hi MM, It sure sounds like you have worked into a great position.

Eringirl
01-17-2015, 09:03 PM
Good for you MM! Sounds like you are a good leader, not just a manager! Hope you continue to enjoy the new position, despite, well, you know. ;)

Erin

docrobbysherry
01-17-2015, 09:35 PM
Move on up to the Big Time, Mecha. Then, u can institute Female Fridays!

Yeah, you're rite. I could NEVER fit in a corp/Army/any employment position!:doh:

AngelaYVR
01-17-2015, 10:03 PM
Soon head office will call you in. They'll say "Moose! What's yer secret? We all think you're a genious!" That's when you tear off the suit, revealing the Vegas show girl costume underneath and music starts playing to accompany your song and dance number that reveals the true meaning of managing.

mechamoose
01-17-2015, 10:26 PM
Damn it! Those sequins are not gonna stick themselves!!

So.. make good run on these goals, ok?

"I'm wearing a pencil skirt. I'm not 'running' anywhere!"

/swish

Katey888
01-18-2015, 05:22 AM
MM - sounds like you've got lucky with the tone of the company, but you are of course deserving of plaudits for your approach... :clap:

If I look back now on aspects of my career I can see similarities with what you're describing as a more nurturing approach with staff, particularly younger ones - there's a lot to be said for that in getting the best out of people and having them fulfil their potential... maybe that is something we exhibit more naturally than the normal machismo (which has always really got my goat, but is the expected mode in many corps... :Angry3:)

Good for you! I'm pleased it's going well... but your plans for feminine subversion must be long term and very, very insidious to stay under the radar... ;)

Katey x

Teresa
01-18-2015, 06:25 AM
MM,
Maybe the next office party is the time to do a bit of swishing !!

Marcelle
01-18-2015, 06:35 AM
Hi MM,

It sounds like you are truly a transformational leader (no pun intended on the use of the word trans :)). We do things a bit differently in my world with more directing than mentoring . . . well done on you.

Hugs

Isha

Claire Cook
01-18-2015, 07:51 AM
MM,

I'm finding that there is more to my TG than just dressing. Being more relaxed, more open and more empathetic -- letting those "female " attributes merge with the rest of me -- has made me a better person. Sounds to me like folks are sensing this in you, and are opening up to you in ways that they might not have with a more macho persona. I think that's great! :battingeyelashes:

JayeLefaye
01-18-2015, 08:23 AM
Well done Madame!

Remember the Tortoise and the Hare....Slow and steady wins! Your crew is lucky to have you!!!

Jaye

MsVal
01-18-2015, 09:16 AM
As one door closes, another opens.

Although it is somewhat disturbing to adopt the corporate presentation template, you now have carte blanche to explore and further develop those feminine characteristics which live in your heart. Take the opportunity and run with it, for one day this door may close as another one opens.

Best wishes
MsVal

NicoleScott
01-18-2015, 10:59 AM
Do you think you would still have 100% acceptance if you could wear that big swishy skirt?

mechamoose
01-18-2015, 12:02 PM
No. I doubt it would work as well as it does.

I wish that wasn't the answer, but it makes a difference in that I'm 'accepted' at an early level, allowing me the opportunity to get to the more advanced ones.

- MM

Jodi
01-18-2015, 01:07 PM
Always remember that you have a job and it sounds like it is a good job. Currently, there are thousands of people out there who would give up anything to trade places with you.

Think!! Don't go of half cocked and cook the golden goose. One wrong move and being management, you are expendable at the stroke of a pen.

Jodi