PDA

View Full Version : How old is to old to start hormones?

Terri Andrews
01-26-2015, 07:06 PM
I will be turning 70 {ugh} next month
and I am thinking about starting a low dose of hormones.
I am in good health and very active but just not sure if I have missed the boat.
This has long been a topic of discussion with my SO and last night we decided that it seemed like the next logical step.
I have wanted this so long that it seems a little weird to be afraid of it .
I am planning to get a appointment with my Doctor to discuss it .

Jorja
01-26-2015, 07:27 PM
Your plan to make an appointment with your doctor is a good call. However, unless your doctor has had experience with transsexuals and HRT they may not know. Do ask for a referral to an endocrinologist with experience with transsexuals.

That being said, I do know of several near your age who are on HRT and doing well.

Laura912
01-26-2015, 07:55 PM
Jorja is absolutely correct and one must emphasize that the endocrinologist must have experience with transsexuals.

BOBBI G.
01-27-2015, 07:07 AM
I will be 72 in about 6 weeks and have been in the chemical stage of transition for just over a year. I am doing mine through the VA. Mine has gender therapists, endocrinologists available through video tele-health, speech therapists, etc. My endo has been working with the M-F community for 35 years. To give you my answer to your question, as long as all your doctors are in tune with your wish and desires, you should have little problem, other than tissue growing, emotions going off the charts; stuff like that. Start with your prime doctor at the VA, if you are a veteran.

Bobbi

DebbieL
01-27-2015, 08:29 AM
You absolutely should see a doctor, but if your health is good, you shouldn't have much trouble with hormones. You are never too old. You do have to face the fact that you won't be as pretty as the 20 year old girls you admired when you were that age, but you can still be a beautiful woman for a woman your age. Many of us look younger than our natural age. Most people think I'm in my mid forties even though I'm almost 60.

angpai30
01-27-2015, 01:02 PM
Jorja is absolutely correct on the issue.

Sue Too
01-27-2015, 01:04 PM
I know a woman who is going through HRT and doing just fine. She is under the care of an experienced endo and will be 80 next month. She has been on HRT for about a year and has experienced breast growth and feminization beyond her earlier expectations. GD has vanished. She is a very happy lady. As was said earlier, with proper medical supervision it is never too late, but results may vary.

Susan in Phoenix (11:00 am and sunny and 63 degrees)

Terri Andrews
01-29-2015, 05:35 PM
Thank You for your thoughts and suggestions .
I am going to start with my GP ,who has some experence with the transgender community and
I have also filled out a application for VA benefits .