PDA

View Full Version : First Therapist Session with wife today

Bea A
01-30-2015, 06:44 PM
My wife and I saw a therapist with extensive experience in gender issues. I dress nearly full time at home (with a few exceptions). I accept not dressing at work as a necessary evil to pay the bills. We have negotiated what I will wear outside (no skirts/dresses). The session went well, but I was surprised that very early he asked when I was going to transition. I told him that even if that happened, it was several years away (kids at home, college etc.) for she and I to discuss that decision. But as of today, transitioning with surgery, hormones is not an option. He is FTM and also worked with my FTM son during his transition. Ironically, my son is the ONLY one of our children to not know. (He lived with my ex out of state). Her children all know. Our goal is for her to understand what she wants and can tolerate as I move further. We are also looking at other aspects of our relationship outside of gender too. She and he are scheduling individual sessions, along with couple sessions. I have a treating psychiatrist I have been seeing for nearly 20 years (military disability). I'm encouraged by where we are at.

Bria
01-30-2015, 06:54 PM
Lisa, that sounds like a positive session, I hope things continue to go will for you and your wife.

Hugs, Bria

Suzanne F
01-30-2015, 07:04 PM
Funny, on our only visit to gender therapist I was asked why I wasn't already on hormones. The therapist told my wife she should expect that I would transition and probably want to see men. Turns out she was right about the transitioning. Still my wasn't ready to hear that on the first visit. Good luck with therapy mad it is awesome that you are trying to find a workable solution.
Hugs
Suzanne