PDA

View Full Version : Esprit Conference questions

Karen62
02-01-2015, 12:50 AM
I recently came across the upcoming Esprit conference (http://www.espritconf.com/) (mid-May in Port Angeles, WA) and it looks to be really interesting (I am just starting on the path to transitioning this year). The conference's orientation on education programming is compelling to me, as I feel so woefully ignorant about so many things (other than what I feel inside, of which I am certain). The fact that this event is in my neck of the woods works with my budget as well.

Have any of you been there before? Can you tell me about your experiences, if the conference is more than just a social event gathering (which has its place, of course, but I want to know if the classes are worthwhile), and the like? By all of the photos, it looks like all of the attendees are so much further along in their presentation than I am (although learning about all facets of presentation is one of the key reasons I'd want to go!). It also looks like I'll need to quintuple my wardrobe (or more!) between now and then to even participate! :eek:

I'd love to hear from some sisters here who have attended this conference and learn from their experiences what the event is like, especially for a first-timer. Thank you!

Karen

Brenda Freeman
02-01-2015, 11:52 AM
Hi Karen,
I attended my first Esprit in 2005, my first time out. I remember driving into the red lion Parking lot and saw girls walking about some not passing some passing if that exists, all confident. I was amazed, first time seeing so many girls just being girls. I learned a lot, make up lessons meeting others sharing experiences. I have been back every year the city is welcoming the participants welcoming and encouraging. But you must venture out of your room and go for it, Signing up for a Big Sister should insure someone will knock on your door and help if you are shy. It for me was an eye opener we are many, and we are all in it together sisters with the same dreams and wishes, I found answers and life time friends at Esprit and have grown from there. It is funny I went to Esprit in port Angeles Wa to meet girls where I live in Portland that I still connect with and meet to just be girls. The girls come from all over so you are sure to connect and find friends to share experiences with and grow as a whole person and address what was hidden and embrace it! The girls and there experiences are as much a part of the classes. That is my experience, hope that helps!
Brenda

DanaR
02-01-2015, 02:26 PM
I haven't been to Esprit for about six or seven years, but did attend for 12 years. I made a lot of local Port Angeles friends over the years. If you can afford to to, you won't be disappointed. It will be a truly emotional experience.

Karen62
02-01-2015, 04:23 PM
This is great to hear. Thank you both, Brenda and Dana. If I may ask, why did you stop going?

Karen

LIKETODRESS2
02-01-2015, 04:54 PM
I am going this year for the first time . I been talking to a couple of girls that go every year . I have a big sister already set up sounds like if its your first year a big sis I a lot of help . There is face book page for e spirit also . Hope to se you there. Also go to the web site and sign up for a schoolor ship to help pay for the even. Ther is also a page you can go to to drive with or even stay with others to save on cost

justmetoo
02-01-2015, 07:29 PM
I went for the first time last year. I agree that getting in on the big sister program is a good thing for newcomers. I strongly recommend it. As far as presentation, it's a mix of TGs and CDs, and some are certainly more passable than others, but no one is judging. I found everyone to be friendly and open and fun and interesting. I am shy and awkward, so there were times when I was stuck on my own, but that was really my own fault. The best thing is to reach out to people (and I should learn to follow that advice!). I also agree that getting to know the attendees and listening to people's stories and where they've been, where they're going, etc., is enlightening and interesting and encouraging.
I have signed up to attend again this year. I hope to meet more people, renew old acquaintances (from last year), and have more fun. I think one key (for me to keep in mind, too) is to be open to people and the whole experience. I did push several boundaries last year and do some things I had never done before (such as participate in the fashion show - that was a huge step for a shy quiet person like me!)
If anyone around here does attend and finds themselves without people to hang out with at any point during the event, or just sees other people (especially a lone person like I tend to be) standing around, I hope we can feel okay enough to try to reach out. Could be as simple as asking if that person is doing anything, if you can join them or if they want to join you.

DanaR
02-01-2015, 10:46 PM
............................................. I agree that getting in on the big sister program is a good thing for newcomers. I strongly recommend it. As far as presentation, it's a mix of TGs and CDs, and some are certainly more passable than others, but no one is judging. I found everyone to be friendly and open and fun and interesting. I am shy and awkward, so there were times when I was stuck on my own, but that was really my own fault. The best thing is to reach out to people (and I should learn to follow that advice!). I also agree that getting to know the attendees and listening to people's stories and where they've been, where they're going, etc., is enlightening and interesting and encouraging.....................
This would be a good idea to think about if you are going to attend, reaching out to others to maximize your experience. Most of the time that I attended, I was on the planning committee; which didn't give me the opportunity to interact with others like a regular attendee. Most of the time, the event was over before I had a chance to relax.

Lynn Marie
02-02-2015, 01:22 AM
This will be my third Esprit. I make friends easily and love to party. A big part of going for me is getting to visit with old friends and meet new ones. There's good restaurants and shopping in Port Angeles and we pretty much own the town for the week. The Esprit classes are good. Some more applicable than others, just depends on where you're at on the spectrum. I love having CD girlfriends, I have no interest whatever in going out alone although it's a necessity at times and it doesn't frighten me. To me, doing anything with girlfriends is just so much more fun than doing anything just by myself. So Esprit suits me perfectly.

justmetoo
02-02-2015, 08:33 PM
I feel I should warn you, there are some shrinking violets there, like Lynn Marie... ;)

(I did try to stretch my comfort zone quite a bit and be more open, but maybe/probably I was still a bit of a wallflower. I AM an introvert and don't like to be pushed too much.) :)

Evie08
02-02-2015, 11:30 PM
When Lynn Marie says she makes friends easily... that is an understatement. If you don't want to have a great time... run away. Lynn will walk up to strangers and introduce herself. Next thing you know - there are more people at our table. And if you are in the PNW - you don't have to wait for Esprit to go out. PM Lynn Marie or I - our group goes out almost every Friday night in Everett. We love to have others join us.

This will be my third Esprit. I make friends easily and love to party. A big part of going for me is getting to visit with old friends and meet new ones. There's good restaurants and shopping in Port Angeles and we pretty much own the town for the week. The Esprit classes are good. Some more applicable than others, just depends on where you're at on the spectrum. I love having CD girlfriends, I have no interest whatever in going out alone although it's a necessity at times and it doesn't frighten me. To me, doing anything with girlfriends is just so much more fun than doing anything just by myself. So Esprit suits me perfectly.

Karen62
02-03-2015, 12:13 AM
If attending this conference means I get a chance to meet all of you wonderful women, then I am IN! I just registered for the full week! I also signed up for the Big Sister program (goodness knows I need it). I am nervous but incredibly excited at the same time. I have been so isolated for so long as a totally closeted transwoman that this cannot be anything other than a huge adrenalin rush. I have so much to learn. I can't wait. Thank you all!!

BTW, I mentioned this idea to my therapist this afternoon. He asked if the conference catered to CD or TS women. I said I thought it was both -- true? I do believe I am TS, but I have a lot to learn about such basics as wardrobe, cosmetics, gestures and body language, and besides, my therapist said it would be good for me to get out! So I am going out -- to Esprit!

Countless hugs,

Karen

DanaR
02-03-2015, 12:44 AM
.......................... He asked if the conference catered to CD or TS women. I said I thought it was both -- true? ..........................
Yes, there will be both. I'm sure that you will have a great time. Look through all of the classes, before you attend and make a schedule of the one that you would like to attend. It seemed like I always missed the ones that I wanted to attend.

Lynn Marie
02-03-2015, 01:13 AM
Okay ladies, when you get to Esprit, I should be there. Upstairs, water view, about midway between the stairs to the restaurant and registration. My picture will be on the door. If I don't get to meet you before Esprit make sure you come by and give my chain a yank so we can get together and talk awhile.

justmetoo
02-05-2015, 08:45 PM
Anyone get their 2014 yearbook yet?

Lynn Marie
02-06-2015, 03:14 AM
Normally they don't get sent out until just before the the next Esprit. Maybe to inspire attendance.

justmetoo
02-06-2015, 07:14 PM
Ah, I'll try to be patient then. The website said they send them out mid-January.