PDA

View Full Version : Fingernails

tamyracd
01-31-2006, 03:42 AM
I've always kept my nails short and well groomed...but lately i've let them grow abit ..and have been shaping them with a file and emery board..to be honest i'm kinda of enjoying it..over the last week or so i've been wearing Sally Hansen Hard as Nails...as often as i can...i'm just seeing what i can get away with on length..i work with my hands,so people will notice soon, if not already ,plus i shoot alot of pool so everyone sees your nails under the lights...still seeing what i'm comfortable with....

I guess what i'm really trying to say is that i've got the nail thing happening...

Anyone else suffering from these symptoms??

mskilmer
01-31-2006, 05:25 AM
I'm right there with you! Been doing the same thing lately, and like you I use my hands a lot at work. Mostly pointing to things on engineering plans to show people things ... definately makes 'em look at your fingers. Nobody's said anything yet, but it's pretty obvious so I'm sure they've noticed. But I'm known for being kinda "out there" at work, so maybe it's no big deal.

DanaJ
01-31-2006, 05:49 AM
Mine are just about as long as they have ever been, I will be filing them back this weekend :(

Girly Sara
01-31-2006, 07:33 AM
Hi ya Tamyracd

I've definitely got the nail thing happening ;) Firstly, i'd like to say that for many, many years i bit my nails 'horrendously' - they looked awful! However, further to 'Sara' coming out of the closet over 2 years ago, i now have regular french manicures with the very noticeable white tips.

When i'm out n about in drab mode with my made up nails, i get quite a few compliments from real girls in the shops. It makes you feel great hehe

Sara xxxx

jennig
01-31-2006, 08:43 AM
hi I have been weareing my nails long mostly french polish at first I was so concearnd about what everbody would say so ond day I made up my mind who cares and just did it. verry few commints and the ones I get are good mostly from woman. a few men have said a few things I just say thats how i like them. the bottom line is we are a little different then most people we love the softer side of things and if we want long nails or hair outher people will look at us but who cares I say do what makes you feel good!!!!!!!!!!!

love jennig

jessbcuzz
01-31-2006, 08:47 AM
I wish I could go that depth into doing my nails. The most I can do is apply polish after I get home from work and before I leave for work. I did try a clear finish to wear at work. I think it made my nails to shinny. Oh, well!

Bonnie D
01-31-2006, 08:51 AM
I enjoy trying to grow them as long as I can but it doesn't take long before one or two of them crack. Especially the thumb and first two fingernails, so I have to trim them more often. Sometimes I let the last two grow until it becomes too obvious and then I trim them back to match the others. I do like how they look though when they get long.

I spend my day on the computer as the main part of my job so my nails are fine there. It's when I get home and have to do the things males do around the house that is hard on my nails. I also play hockey once a week so that doesn't help either.

Oh, well! It is fun though trying to see how long I can go without having to clip them.

Bonnie

JoAnnDallas
01-31-2006, 09:21 AM
I have had long nails for almost four months now. Most of the time no one evn notices and says any thing. Just the other day I was at the bank and this young female teller tells me I have very nice nails. I thanked her and looked at hers and return the compliment. She even held her hand out so I could see her nails better. Then there was the time at the nail salon when I asked these four GG's what they thought of my nails. The all looked at them, complimented me on them and one even when and got a bottle of Light Pink polish and had my nail tech polish them. One even made a remark that she wished her BF had nails like mine. LOL

Let them gow out. Remember you can always cut them short, but I bet you will find that no one will notice or say anything.

Dawnna
01-31-2006, 09:29 AM
Living in the "theater of seasons", I can't grow nails worth a poop because of the weather. After trying all the drugstore/beauty supply nail kits, I found the "Kiss" brand fits perfectly. I know a lot of girls can't wear "aftermarket" nails because of finger size, but I find they work great for me.

Sam-antha
01-31-2006, 03:18 PM
I have been growing mine seriously for the first time in ages. Nice and long now, curvy, getting to a smooth round point. They have never been "short" tho, but I am having trouble shaping them.
One hand gets to hold the file and the one being treated moves....For the other hand, the file or board moves.
Anybody else with this "problem" ? the forefingers both tend to get lopsided and the last finger but one gets to be too long for some reason. thumb, long and pinkie do just fine.

Alright I will to the Beauty club, but this ask is in "public" !

Jamie M
01-31-2006, 04:10 PM
chalk up another nail freak here . I've been letting them grow out for a while now and just love trying to keep them nicely shapped and clean polished . I've gotten so good at the whole manicure thing over time that kelly now relies on me to do hers aswell ( as much as i love her she's useless with an emery board :D )

I'm just getting eternally frustrated with cracking nails now , they just get to the length i like them a all of a sudden they all start breaking arrrrrrrggh !

pattied
01-31-2006, 04:21 PM
As a chemist, I work with my hands, and often have to wash my hands (even though I wear gloves all the time). Still, I too have been working on letting my nails grow some. For the last month, I have worked hard at keeping my nails looking good, though I have only used clear polish. I too have had good success with the Sally Jenson Hard as Nails polish.

As far as people noticing, welll they have. Many of coworkers have commented on my nails. I am the only GM here that has well kept, manicured nails and the girls notice it right away. One even commented that I keep my nails better than they do theirs. :bs: Made me feel pretty good about myself.

Katrina
01-31-2006, 05:08 PM
...One hand gets to hold the file and the one being treated moves....For the other hand, the file or board moves.
Anybody else with this "problem" ? the forefingers both tend to get lopsided and the last finger but one gets to be too long for some reason. thumb, long and pinkie do just fine.

I have noticed that I do this as well. I'm getting better at shaping them but it is something that just takes practice I think.

Gisele
01-31-2006, 05:40 PM
I have been letting my nails grow out. I really love to shape them and then apply the polish. I have been doing this for about 2 months now. I do cut them short when I meet up with my dad. I don't think he would understand too much.

Thank goodness my nails grow quick. I can have long nails in about 2 weeks. I really want to go out to a nail salon and get some nice ones.

Sharon
01-31-2006, 05:54 PM
I tend to keep my nails long, but every once in a while, I trim them back again and start over, usually because I need to look more male occasionally.:o

These are my nails two weeks after trimming them the last time:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-12/1123945/000_0869a.jpg

Gads, that hand looks old!!! :eek:

SherriePall
01-31-2006, 06:39 PM
Sharon --
Love the nails. Totally jealous. And Sam-antha, I do the same thing when filing them. One hand moves while the board is held steady and the other hand is steady while the board moves. I guess it's because most of us have a dominant hand. I've been trying to move the board or file while doing both hands with some success.

Jodi
01-31-2006, 09:22 PM
To those having trouble shaping their nails, do treat yourself to a professional manicure. Once you get one, you will wonder how you have lived without it.

My nails stay about the same length as Sharon's. I get a manicure about every 2-3 weeks. I use OPI Nail Envy. That is the clear nail strengthner. I apply a coat every other day for a week. I then remove all and begin again. My manicurist tells me that I have some of the hardest nails that she has seen. The Nail Envy is a bit shiny, but I don't care. When people remark about my nails, I tell them that I get them done professionally. I then say if it is good enough for Wall Street bankers and Park Avenue lawyers, it is good enough for me.

Jodi

Rachel Morley
01-31-2006, 09:30 PM
Hi Tamyracd,

I love having long(ish) nails. My nails are pretty long for a guy and are always kept painted in a sheer clear shiny gloss. In the past I didn't always put polish on them but I've found that the length of my nails rather than the shine is what gets me noticed if anything.

Be brave, just do it, and have fun. :)

Deanna2
01-31-2006, 09:47 PM
I love looking after my nails. Been doing it now for about three years - filing with an emery board and also using Sally Hansen Hard as Nails and Maybeline Clear Wet Shine. I do only my fingernails, not my thumbs because I think thumbs are a lot more obvious.

I don't think people look at other peoples' hands - certainly not guys anyway. I've been pinged only once and I had to say that I had been varnishing a bookcase.

tamyracd
02-01-2006, 03:10 AM
thanks for all your comments..*s*...here it is almost 2 in the morning i've just finished boarding and coating my nails with clear hoping to add a nice coat of polish as soon as the wife leaves for work...wednesday is my only free day to really get to dress for any length of time...of course last Wednesday was my close call i posted about...i'm hoping it goes smoother today...telling the wife to please call me if my daughter comes home early from school again.....i don't know how many more overloads my ticker has left...*s*

again loved reading all the posts...keep on filing...

Rachel Ann
02-01-2006, 06:00 AM
Mine are just about as long as they have ever been, I will be filing them back this weekend :(
I cannot believe how narcissistic I became about my nails after having them done at a salon! I waited until the last possible minute to take the polish off, even to the point of wearing gloves when running errands in the neighborhood!

Had to cut them the other day - although I slapped on a coat of Sally Hansen clear polish / hardener afterwards. Oh well, they will grow back out.

Btw LOVE your new av Dana honey!

Rachel xxx

Yael
02-01-2006, 08:33 PM
I wish I could go that depth into doing my nails. The most I can do is apply polish after I get home from work and before I leave for work. I did try a clear finish to wear at work. I think it made my nails to shinny. Oh, well!

Try Orly Nails for Males -- has a semi-matte finish so your nails aren't too shiney. Got mine at Folica, Inc. (http://www.folica.com)
Yael

Wenda
02-02-2006, 01:10 AM
Try Orly Nails for Males -- has a semi-matte finish so your nails aren't too shiney. Got mine at Folica, Inc. (http://www.folica.com)
Yael
Okay, I will try that. The LAST frickin step. I have used the teflon strengthening formula, Sally Hansens every formula, you name it. I have had female co-workers comment that I fret about my nails more than anyone they know. I file or sand off the rough edges, I wear gloves any time I think I may expose my hands to any abuse, I trim, polish and file my nails during TV commercials, at stop lights, when my computer is booting up when I am commuting for more than 12 minutes on any 4 lane highway. I have purchased every frickin kind of instant nails.
... I am considering having my digits shortened by one joint.
pissy, wenda.

cdsheri6977
03-03-2006, 01:40 AM
theres something about the feel of your nails being long and painted that just helps the hole look and feel of being a women, a girl, a lady and yes even a ****, one of the frist times i got dress 100% from head to toe it was the eye make up the heels and the nails that just made me feel more like a girl and i have notest that when i look at a girl a gg i look at the nails frist, i love my nails long and painted the same color as my lips and heels, as a guy i cant stand my nails being long at all but as sheri i have to have em, if i get dressed up and i dont have any nails on i feel like a guy trying to pass of as a girl but if my nails are long and painted i feel like a women a lady or again yes even a **** what ever the look im going for that night if i dont have the nails then im not dressed sheri

MarieTS
03-03-2006, 02:09 AM
Sharon: Your nails are nothing short of salon quality. How did you shape them so well?