PDA

View Full Version : LGBT Veterans Welcome Here

Jilmac
02-05-2015, 08:23 PM
I had my six month checkup at my local VA medical center today, had to drop my pants for the prostate finger salute, NP saw my lavender panties, never said a word, got a clean bill of health from my NP then went to Xray to have pictures taken of my left shoulder and knee. When I checked in at the Xray desk, I spotted a small sign with the title of this thread. The person at the reception desk appeared to be "L" from her appearance and mannerism. I smiled and commented that I liked the sign and gave her a big thumbs up, she returned the smile as she directed me to the waiting area. I mentioned the sigh again to the Xray tech and she said that our VA center is very LGBT friendly.

Terri Andrews
02-05-2015, 09:01 PM
Thanks for your post , I recently applied for VA benefits and hope to start my HRT with them.
It is nice to hear positive experencs.

Victoria Demeanor
02-05-2015, 09:14 PM
OMG no the VA....I don't believe it....you actually got an appointment?
Oh ya the sign that's pretty cool glad they're getting with the times.

docrobbysherry
02-06-2015, 12:34 AM
I've been going to the huge VA in Long Beach, Ca. for maybe 30 years? I've never seen any sign that they welcome LGBT's. Or, that any r patients there -----. :straightface:

Which doesn't mean that both aren't true there.

BOBBI G.
02-06-2015, 05:25 AM
My transition is being handled entirely through the VA,with the exception of any surgery. And while the West Palm Beach VAMC doesn't staff a gender specialized endo, they refer you to Miami or Orlando (via the video tele-health). I don't like the drive to Miami so I see my endo via that "Skype" system. Two years now and am quite satisfied.

Bobbi

Jilmac
02-06-2015, 11:57 PM
Sherry, I know nothing about the Long Beach VA or how they operate but the one I go to is the Zablocki VA Medical Center in Milwaukee, and it's a fact that they're LGBT friendly. They treat all vets whether gay, bi, trans, or lesbian with equal respect and dignity.

43inmaine
02-07-2015, 12:55 PM
I've been to several appointments at my va dressed to wow. Lol. The va staff was very pleasant. I could hear a few snickers and comments from other vets but I guess it's to be expected. I'm a big and tall girl but there isn't really anyway to hide the big and tall man I used to go to appointments as. So I just smile and be who I am knowing I'm dressing as I want=)