PDA

View Full Version : Interesting day out yesterday.

Marcelle
02-07-2015, 06:58 AM
Hi all,

I promise this is not a rant, musing of my mind or deep thought of the day . . . just a neat story. :battingeyelashes:

Yesterday I had a therapy session and went as I normally do as Isha. Afterwards, I had some errands to run and found myself next to a Winners store. So I went in to see if I could find a nice pair of black dress slacks. I went to racks and found a couple of pairs in various sizes and headed to the change area. I approached the SA at the changeroom counter, she handed me my tag and pointed me in the direction of the ladies changing area.

The only change booth open was missing it's mirror and in its place a signing saying "Sorry for the inconvience I am out for repair but please feel free to use the outside mirrors" . . . Hmm easy for them to say :facepalm:. So, I sucked it up and went out into the main hall and had a gander in the mirror. As I was looking at the fit of the pants I heard "Isha is that you?" :eek: Not something I am used to hearing . . . especially in a ladies change room. I turned and saw a twenty something woman who I immediately recognized as one of the Starbucks baristas at the SB I frequent. She then said, "I almost did not recognize you as you got your hair cut and coloured . . . I like it by the way" (I was wearing one of my new wigs). So we stood there for a moment engaged in small talk and then she said, "I would buy the pants as they flatter your figure nicely" . . . I could have hugged her right there and then.

Now, don't get me wrong, this woman knows I am TG. It was just wonderful to be standing there accepted for who I was, no "Ahh there is a guy in the ladies change room!" screams. Just two people who knew each other, talking and existing in the same space.

Hugs

Isha

Claire Cook
02-07-2015, 07:05 AM
Isha,

Thank you for sharing this. I have had similar experiences with GG's who know me both ways, and all I can say is that is wonderful to be accepted as who we are. Yes, you should have given that girl a big hug!

Hugs,

Claire

Kim_Bitzflick
02-07-2015, 07:13 AM
Isha,

That is a nice story. She could have simply said nothing and pretended she didn't see you, but instead she chose to talk with you. That can only mean she genuinly likes you and accepts you for who you are.

Keep up the good image for us!

kimdl93
02-07-2015, 08:47 AM
Very cool! She has begun the transition from acquaintance to friend. But...did you buy the pants?

Barbara Black
02-07-2015, 08:55 AM
It brings a tear to the eye.

Krisi
02-07-2015, 09:15 AM
That's great. From your avatar, I would assume you pass pretty well.

Eringirl
02-07-2015, 09:53 AM
Yes, very cool Isha!! Thanks for sharing. Enjoy the snowy weekend.

Erin

VictoriaBabes
02-07-2015, 10:28 AM
That's a wonderful story. I bet you couldn't feel more accepted!! Good for you beautiful!

Julie Denier
02-07-2015, 10:38 AM
Great story! ;)

Tina B.
02-07-2015, 10:55 AM
That is a real nice shopping story, makes you think maybe we are getting somewhere.

Jason+
02-07-2015, 11:46 AM
Hello Isha,

That borders between interesting and Totally Awesome! The best compliments and interactions come from people who have nothing to gain yet still offer them.

Bria
02-07-2015, 12:01 PM
Isha, I can't imagine that you had any trepidation about going out of the change room to use the mirror, you go every place!

Hugs, Bria

Suzie Petersen
02-07-2015, 12:23 PM
Very neat Isha, good for you and Thanks for sharing.

Hugs
Suzie

docrobbysherry
02-07-2015, 12:38 PM
Isha, I can't imagine that you had any trepidation about going out of the change room to use the mirror, you go every place!

Hugs, Bria

I'm unclear, Isha. If u normally go out as Isha and she knows u as such, why wouldn't she have greeted u?

S. Lisa Smith
02-07-2015, 12:47 PM
What a wonderful experience!!

Marcelle
02-07-2015, 02:05 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for the kind comments

Very cool! She has begun the transition from acquaintance to friend. But...did you buy the pants?

Hi Kim,

I did buy the pants.

Hugs, Bria

Hi Bria,

I guess I still have a little trepidation in a place where someone could take offence to a man being there . . . it could be awkward.

I'm unclear, Isha. If u normally go out as Isha and she knows u as such, why wouldn't she have greeted u?

Hi Sherry,

She and others have greated me quite often as Isha at the SB but it was just a bit of a shock to hear my name out loud in a place where I wasn't expecting it.

Hugs

Isha

Melissa18
02-07-2015, 02:30 PM
Thanks Isha,
for sharing that story, it was great to read it brought a smile to my face, a great way to start my day!

justmetoo
02-07-2015, 07:10 PM
Nice to be out enough that people know you and recognize you in public. :)

Danitgirl1
02-07-2015, 09:51 PM
What an amazing story. So cool.
Are you 100% sure she wasn't a plant by the store to get TG shoppers to buy? :D
Kidding!

Bree Wagner
02-07-2015, 10:25 PM
A neat story indeed! You're clearly making good impressions all around.

Lynn Marie
02-08-2015, 01:58 AM
Great story Isha, and well presented. Thanks. My friends and I have a few clubs and restaurants that we frequent and we're well known in these establishments and we've made the effort to get to know the owners managers, and the steady help. It just makes all the difference in the world to know and be known. Girls who come by and visit with us are always amazed that we know everyone. That's part of why getting out is so much fun!

Katey888
02-08-2015, 12:07 PM
Nice experience Isha... :D

You really should be on Starbuck's TG steering group too... 'Ambassador Isha'...? :cheer:

Katey x

JessicaJHall
02-08-2015, 04:45 PM
...not a rant, musing of my mind or deep thought of the day...
Isha, I happen to like those, so there!! But this was a great post too.
Now that I said something nice (sort of?), I hope it's OK to share my somewhat opposite experience here (highjack your thread).
I was in dire need of some vintage petticoats to give my latest look some volume (on maybe I just love vintage petticoats and I was rationalizing.. little of both probably), and my quest lead me to the crunchiest part of town where the trendiest vintage offerings can be found (Southeast, for you Stumptown girls). There I found the perfect underpinnings at very reasonable prices ($14 as opposed to $40 downtown), and proceeded to find my way to the checkout counter though a haze of patchouli incense.
The hippie dude at the counter was heading for a break it appeared, and was passing the torch to another SA, a young man in a pretty maxi skirt and jewelry. I say man, because he was quite unshaven and his top revealed his back and shoulders, no makeup and very short hair (not that there's anything wrong with that).
Now, I have been shopping for my CD addiction for many years and have, for the most part, transcended the usual awkwardness at the checkout counter (but I'll admit a preference for the new self scanners), and I'm thinking, this is going to be so nice to finally be waited on by another CDer (a few weeks ago I actually had an SA see me coming and quickly turn her back to me, I mean.. wow)!
But for some reason (maybe my guy mode is just too straight looking for the crunchy hippie hive-mind vacuum that my old stompin' grounds have become?), I sensed some pretty intense awkwardness from him (or I may have misread?.. it was something)!! So more of the same, but from a completely different angle? I'm still shaking my head, confused but highly amused by it all. It's a funny funny world (especially in this literal "neck of the woods").
But happy ending ever after / after all, the outfit and the pictures turned out pretty damm close to my vision, and if anyone thinks it's out of style, it was inspired a Zooey Deschanel video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CajPifzYyRs) and a timeless Audry Hepburn look, so there again!! (feel the need to continue my annoying parenthetical elaborations here, even though I've nothing else to say)

Edit: More shameless highjacking, pics here (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?224572-Peticoat-Function&p=3691005#post3691005) for the curious.

StephanieCLT
02-09-2015, 08:31 AM
Wow - what an awesome story, Isha! Thanks for sharing, and I can only imagine how good you felt afterwards! I'm sure you had a knowing smile all day!