PDA

View Full Version : Underdressed in the emergency room

Jackie7
02-15-2015, 01:45 PM
Well now I can confirm what health techs and first responders among us have often said, they don't care or even notice what clothes they are cutting or peeling off you. In my case last Friday night, a bandsaw accident in my workshop had them extracting me from denim jacket, blue flannel work shirt, black cami, lacy bra, girl jeans and pantyhose. My sweet wife had extracted my breast forms at a traffic light en route, I guess they are frozen in the back of the car now.

I sliced into knuckles and cut several tendons but everything wiggles and I'm expecting full functional recovery. Meanwhile I will have to learn brassieres one-handed as many women do.

Alice Torn
02-15-2015, 01:59 PM
Glad it was not worse. Must have been just a little nervous cutting through your bra and cami!

Rogina B
02-15-2015, 02:10 PM
Very lucky!!!!Moving blades are all tougher than we are!

SherriePall
02-15-2015, 02:11 PM
Glad all is well. Good thing is: you'll have to go shopping for a new cami and bra.

Julogden
02-15-2015, 02:11 PM
Wow!!! I'm glad you're going to be okay, Jackie, glad too that the hospital staff were professional.

Be careful! :)

Laura912
02-15-2015, 03:13 PM
The bandsaw is oft overlooked but it is the most dangerous tool in the workshop because we get so close to the blade. You think those knuckles hurt but wait till you put the frozen breast forms back in!!!!

wanagione
02-15-2015, 03:48 PM
I'm glad your ok.

Andy66
02-15-2015, 03:57 PM
Omigosh, sounds like you got pretty banged up. Hope you feel good as new soon. Now you can make up cool stories about how you got the scars. :heehee:

prettytoes
02-15-2015, 03:57 PM
Just be glad it wasn't the table saw....that would involve fingers on the floor! Get better soon!

S. Lisa Smith
02-15-2015, 04:06 PM
Wow, hope everything turns out well!!! I have friends who have lost fingers...

Jackie7
02-15-2015, 04:43 PM
The bandsaw is oft overlooked but it is the most dangerous tool in the workshop because we get so close to the blade. You think those knuckles hurt but wait till you put the frozen breast forms back in!!!!

Well they are all dangerous but the lathe is the deadliest ... It seems benign and cozy, until the workpiece comes loose and ricochets into your head. I think I will warm the forms a while.

Allisa
02-15-2015, 04:54 PM
Hope you recover soon, I've come across many people with nick names given to them by machines i.e." one-eyed" Larry," three finger" Mike. Maybe we should call you Jackie "knuckles"? Take care and heal good, ask what you can do about scaring. Safety first always.

Victoria Demeanor
02-15-2015, 04:59 PM
OMG Jackie, really who the hell cares what they cut through as long as you are okay....wait wait Black cami.......NOooooo...... Really girl be more careful around those band saw things you are to beautiful to be leaving us, cold boobies are just a minor inconveniences.
Take care and be careful honey
Victoria D ;)

alwayshave
02-15-2015, 05:05 PM
Jackie, that is awful. I hope that you recover quickly. It seems that you did not have an issue with your clothing at the hospital. Did your wife?

charlenesomeone
02-15-2015, 05:11 PM
Ouch Jackie, get well soon. Watch those power tools.
Probably some PT too.
recovery hugs

Jackie7
02-15-2015, 05:57 PM
Jackie, that is awful. I hope that you recover quickly. It seems that you did not have an issue with your clothing at the hospital. Did your wife?

I meant to write in the first place that the ER and hospital staff were great. Friendly, caring, attentive, professional, expert -- even when taking grumpy old blood pressure at 5 am. I'M not too shy anyway, wouldn't have expected any CD issue or even any untoward noticing, didn't experience any. Same as in a few late-night traffic stops I've had while driving CD, professional cops don't care what you are wearing, just how you've been driving.

And thanks everyone for kind wishes. The love and support I'm getting from family friends is the healing force.

TxCassie
02-15-2015, 06:33 PM
Jackie, I'm so glad the outcome. Be careful, girlfriend.

phylis anne
02-15-2015, 06:54 PM
Ouch !:eek: as a machinist I know all too well especially with a lathe today OI had an 6 inch dia chunk of stainless decide it was unhappy in the machine even doing everything right one has to be extra carefull I heard it start to let go and ducked ,woulda left a heck of a mark :D glad to hear you are ok
hugs phylis anne

Samantha Clark
02-15-2015, 07:04 PM
Very scary. So glad you are going to be ok. I remember my dad telling me that power tools are more dangerous than machine guns (and he was 3rd wave on Normandy so he should know). I hear his words every time I turn on any power tool.

Now I'm having a hard time mentally picturing hooking a bra with one hand . . .

Alice Torn
02-15-2015, 07:27 PM
I was there two yrs ago, when my older brother dropped his portable grinder cutter, and he was under a car, and it kept running, and nearly cut his hand off. Scary. I try to use non power tools as much as possible. Also worked with a fellow, who lost control of a hedge trimmer, and cut his thigh badly.

justmetoo
02-15-2015, 08:39 PM
Ouch! That makes me cringe in sympathy! Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

MissTee
02-15-2015, 10:18 PM
Oh my. Your accident could have been so much worse. Glad to hear you are OK and will recover.

chelyann
02-15-2015, 10:50 PM
hope you recover fast.
be careful , those good clothes are hard to replace , hee

DorothyElizabeth
02-15-2015, 11:01 PM
I don't know which is the most dangerous power tool I use - probably the chaon saw. BUt I have had some nasty scares from the lathe, the drill press, the band saw, my 6" automotive grinder, an air chisel and even a Dremel.

Glad to hear you are not missing digits, and glad it sounds as though you might have even gotten away without permanent damage, other than a little superficial scar tissue.
@ phyliss anne - It is flat out scarey when things decide they are not happing in the lathe. I once lost an 8" length of .75"drill rod out of my grandfather's 4" lathe when the bearings in a live center seized and came apart. Fortunately, I was taking a finish cut at the time, so it flew away from me. Otherwise, I might have been seriously injured.

julia ann
02-15-2015, 11:03 PM
Glad to here it was not as bad as it could have been, feel better soon!:)

Aylineira
02-16-2015, 02:42 AM
Medical teams won't notice until afterwards or maybe not even at all. I can gaurantee you that they have seen it all.

Get well soon!

Julie Gaum
02-16-2015, 05:53 AM
As is usually the case they ignore what you are wearing and no permanent damage was done. Now that I have reached the age where I can dress fully with makeup and nail polish there are a new sets of worries to consider
that I never thought about before. Since fainting spells bring up the possibility of doing seriousdamage to ones self my dubious rationale is that I might be able to remove the makeup but the nail p olish would take too long. My "nephew: Rog has the opinion that don't worry aboit any of it even when you are presenting the whole nine yards -- confident she is right though facing docs at the VA who already know you in drab makes one nervoud --- oh well, suck it up.
One opinion
Julie

ophelia
02-16-2015, 08:57 AM
I worked in a hospital part-time for five years. If you think a dedicated and focused front line healthcare pro is going to bat an eyelash at discovering a Victoria's Secret secret....you're just so wrong.

Joanncdnj
02-16-2015, 09:42 AM
Get well soon and keep practicing the one handed bra hook............. Having spent a big part of my career in a carpenter shop, I can say with confidence if it's sharp, it can and will cut you.........

Pat
02-16-2015, 09:43 AM
We can all take a lesson from this: when operating machinery, don't wear your best undies!

Glad you're OK. I hope the fingers mend completely. Kudos to your wife!

ClosetED
02-16-2015, 10:46 AM
With decades of experience of treating patients in emergency rooms, we notice what people wear, but it does not phase us. I would expect it will make an interesting story (removing Protected Health Information that would identify you) that gets mentioned later.
Hugs, Ellen

MsVal
02-16-2015, 11:21 AM
You WHAT? You had a run in with a power tool ... and the tool won? That doesn't surprise me. They always win.
The best you can hope for is a draw, and for that you have to stay out of their reach.

Corny philosophy aside, I'm thankful to hear that you are expected to recover and your clothing was a non-issue.

Best wishes
MsVal

Tracii G
02-16-2015, 11:33 AM
Glad you didn't lose any digits !!!!!!!!!

Pat
02-16-2015, 12:04 PM
Totally inappropriate, but for the last hour I've been singing, "I fought the saw / And the saw won.." in my head.

Krisi
02-16-2015, 08:12 PM
One of my rules I have is not to use power tools while dressed (as a woman, obviously I don't use them naked). I did go to the emergency room the other day with what appears to have been a TIA. I notice that my fingers weren't functioning as expected when trying to put on my earrings.

I did get dressed in male clothes and changed to black panties but of course I had to take off my shirt and I'm sure I had bra lines and the marks from my self adhesive forms. Nothing was said. I had to spend the night.

Nadine Spirit
02-16-2015, 08:25 PM
Well they are all dangerous but the lathe is the deadliest ... It seems benign and cozy, until the workpiece comes loose and ricochets into your head. I think I will warm the forms a while.

I got my finger wrapped up on a natural edge wood bowl I was sanding on my lathe last year. Luckily all it was only a minor break, but my finger is still not back 100%.

Glad to hear you were not more damaged. Good luck in healing.

Sarasometimes
02-16-2015, 11:41 PM
All of the above are potentially life altering pieces of machinery but I think circular saw and lathe are near the top because as others have said doing it right can still cause problems. Glad you are expecting a full recovery! Do warm those forms up first, you don't want frost-bitten nipples to add to your worries! Now some in your situation would have the nerve to sue for the replacement of the cut up clothing.
Hope you have a full and speedy recovery!!

sometimes_miss
02-17-2015, 08:14 AM
First; Glad you're going to be O.K.. Second; of course they 'noticed'. They're trained to notice anything out of the ordinary in order to treat you whenever they get a trauma victim. Doesn't mean they will stop doing their job, or that they won't talk about you later with other staff members. Remember they even work their asses off to save the lives of suspected murderers and violent criminals. That's their job; keep people alive, get them healthy again. Most do it no matter what their personal feelings about the patient. But yeah, they 'notice'.

Michelle55
02-18-2015, 02:21 AM
I have all those power tools and more (a sawmill), but never any incident needing more than first aid until my tractor rolled down a slight hill and against another tractor with me in the way.
That is my lower right leg was in the way and I got a open Tibia-Fibula fracture. I was in jeans, etc. but did have panties on. I think some saw them, but everyone does a good job of covering you with the gown before taking your pants etc. so I'm sure most did not. I was able to get my pocket knife out of my pants pocket and cut off the panties before going into the OR.
BTW Fully recovered and couldn't tell it ever happened now.

Krisi
02-18-2015, 08:04 AM
We have a family friend who is an emergency room nurse and a non-stop talker and she does talk about her patients but of course she doesn't mention names. I hope I never end up in her hospital.

BLUE ORCHID
02-18-2015, 08:31 AM
Power tools are pretty safe-------------------------until you turn then on. :daydreaming:

You may have to hook your bra and step in and pull it up with one hand.:hugs:

Beverley Sims
02-18-2015, 08:54 AM
Like you I put myself in danger on many occasions.

Yes I have been terribly lucky. :)

Shelly Preston
02-19-2015, 06:07 AM
I would suspect most who arrive in the emergency room wont have a problem. Most I am sure are more worried about meeting someone they know.

Doctors and nurses have seen much worse then dressing or underdressing

Lollipop
03-20-2015, 03:03 PM
Glad you are safe and well - don't know what I'd have been more frightened of though
Jessie