PDA

View Full Version : Mardi gras'd out

MissTee
02-17-2015, 12:54 AM
This year's Mardi Gras has been great and the weather has cooperated up until this afternoon/evening. The wind picked up this afternoon, the rain moved in and now it's getting cold. I decided I've had my share of parades, parties, and the resulting festivities.

Tonight I retreated to having some me time and just finished doing my nails in London Butter's Snog (it's such a cute color!) Though tomorrow is Fat Tuesday, I think I'll revel in Misty time. Could use the recharging before I return to work on Wednesday.

Anyone here make it to Mardi Gras this year?

cdinmd206
02-17-2015, 11:17 AM
Oh how I miss living on the Mississippi Gulf Coast and all the parties/balls leading up to Fat Tuesday.
They were so much fun and the themes were outrageous . AS one Southern bell told me " If there isn't at least one divorce caused by a Mardi Gras ball then it really wasn't much of a ball.

Allison Chaynes
02-17-2015, 11:58 AM
Never been down there while Mardi Gras is going on, surprisingly.... As much time as I've spent down there you'd think I would have made it at least once. But I did get a King Cake this year, I guess our local Kroger realized enough people who left after Katrina have made our area home and there's enough of a market to supply them.

celeste26
02-17-2015, 12:11 PM
Nope sorry pagan celebrations are not my cup o' tea.

docrobbysherry
02-17-2015, 12:54 PM
Here in Long Beach, SoCal, our favorite T girl club is having Mardi Gras nite tonite, Tuesday.

I threw together a crazed look which I hope will at least get me into their costume contest finals?:D

BrendaJane
02-17-2015, 08:37 PM
I went to St. Louis' Mardi Gras parade and caught a decent amount of beads of various lengths and colors. St. Louis' (Soulard) Mardi Gras is the second largest in the US, only behind NOLA of course.

Simone.B
02-17-2015, 11:25 PM
I don't make the ones in New Orleans, but I do take the family to the ones in our area. No parades today because they thought the weather was going to be bad so all 4 ran Sunday, instead of two rolling today.

Michelle Crossfire
02-18-2015, 01:32 AM
London Butter's Snog???

Pat
02-18-2015, 07:51 AM
Google says "hot pink nail polish' http://www.butterlondon.com/Lacquers/Snog.html

Krisi
02-18-2015, 07:55 AM
I would imagine that's the perfect time and place to dress in public. Sadly, it's a long way for me to travel so I've never been.

MissTee
02-18-2015, 08:10 AM
Since I maintain a home in the area and know many people in the New Orleans area, not a place I would go out dressed even during Mardi Gras. Not that I go out dressed anyway . . .

For what it's worth I think Mardi Gras gets a bad wrap for drinking and debaunchery. That happens a whole lot in parts of the French Quarter, but there are lots of family friendly events, social gatherings and parades all over to see and enjoy. Also, there are lots of costumed folks so it would be easy to dress and go practically unnoticed - and I know some that do.

Beverley Sims
02-18-2015, 09:11 AM
I was interested to read your take on Mardi Gras.

Glad to see pockets of sensibility survive in the suburbs.

I have watched Bourbon St degenerate over the years, I have followed it since 1999.

It seems to get worse each time I visit and this year even the buskers were over zealous of photographers.

"If you want my photo, tip me."

So I just said "stick it I have the photos I want, they show you as a fool"....

You do make sure you cam run fast though.

The worst place for this is the strip in Hollywood, I know they make their living that way but trying to stop un rewarding photography does not work.