PDA

View Full Version : A bunch of firsts today

DeeNile
02-17-2015, 03:06 PM
I finally got the nerve and bought makeup this morning. I spent a small fortune on a handful of products and rushed straight home to practice. Sadly, the foundation was too light for me. I looked like Data on Star Trek TNG. So, i got brave. I went to the mall and after a good 30 mins of stalling, i approached the makeup counter and asked for help. The SA was quick to help, had me sit in a chair, applied just a smidge of a few different concealers, and sold me the correct product, first time. This was WAY out of my comfort zone, but i am so proud of myself for doing this. It then got better. One of my closest friends, who knows the most about me and this habit, came over and gave me my very first makeup lesson. I have learned that i need a pair of womens glasses (i dont wear contacts) and until my hair grows out, i need a wig. I was in boy mode for the make over, but i very well could have been dressed, i just wasnt ready for that.

Nadine Spirit
02-17-2015, 03:39 PM
Nothing beats getting foundation from someone who sells it everyday! I tried so many before I went to a real makeup sales associate, it was ridiculous! Good for you for getting the courage to do it right! Yay!

Nikkilovesdresses
02-17-2015, 03:51 PM
Well done Dee, seriously. That took guts. I came home with my first foundation only a week ago, and although the colour's right, it's a powder and I think I see from a YouTube vid that I need a cream foundation to put on first, so the powder will go on more evenly. And yes, it's a darn rip off.

pamela7
02-17-2015, 04:07 PM
well done Dee, I've had my first proper public makeovers this last week, and the SA was awesome in helping get the right colour.

Nikki, the SA used a moisturiser first, then the powder, then a transparent sealer to keep it on for longer periods of time - another powder. together the combo works to make my face lose the "beard" and so i can pass at a glance with wig and clothed! Now onto the body language, gestures, tones of voice and ...

phylis anne
02-17-2015, 06:42 PM
Althought he thread here is make up ,I had an s/a do that for with clothes after I had brought back some returns she educated me a bit being very pleasant all the time and told me the next time I go shopping to act like I own the store ,said she spotted me a mile away in the way I was shopping ! great story on your make up too
hugs phylis

justmetoo
02-17-2015, 09:04 PM
Congratulations, Dee! That takes some courage, but it is so worth it.

Pat
02-17-2015, 09:23 PM
Congratulations Dee! Great bravery.

I came home with my first foundation only a week ago, and although the colour's right, it's a powder and I think I see from a YouTube vid that I need a cream foundation to put on first, so the powder will go on more evenly.

A powder foundation is sufficient in most cases. Modern makeup tends to go toward the light side. There's a kind of undercoating called a primer that you can put on to reduce the effect of pores and make the powder stay on longer. Honestly, I'd say practice with what you've got first and get a sense of how it works. Then if you get a primer you'll have some experience to see what difference it makes. Too many changes at once makes it too complex to evaluate the results. There are just so many things to learn -- lips, eyes, blush, contouring as well as beard mitigation. It's gonna take a while.

Brandy Mathews
02-17-2015, 09:34 PM
Way to go Dee!! That does take alot of guts honey. I have never done anything that gutsy before. Everytime I have gone out, it has been en femme with alot of other girls. That was so awesome that you did that.
Take care,
Bree ;)

Jodi
02-17-2015, 10:41 PM
If you bought your foundation at Rite-aide, it is returnable whether it is used or not. This all the more reason for getting professional help when shopping. Saves a ton of money.

Jodi

SharonDenise
02-18-2015, 12:01 AM
Wow! Thanks for posting. I recently went en drab to have a gown altered (posted previously), but I was taken to a dressing area, out of sight of the average shopper. To go to a make-up counter which is in public view and ask for a make over requires even more courage. You give me a goal to reach for.

grace7777
02-18-2015, 12:38 AM
Congratulations Dee!

bridget thronton
02-18-2015, 01:56 AM
Well done

detty
02-18-2015, 05:57 AM
I use Kryolan foundation, actually 2 shades. This company produces make-up for theaters and television. The foundation comes in sticks with a lipstick style turning mechanism. Very good coverage, very easy to apply. Skin color matching shade for the face and 2 shades lighter for the neck. Google for Kryolan if interested. I was advised also by a professional, actually a trans woman, who runs a store with nice products for crossdressers. I agree, professional advice is a must.

Claire Cook
02-18-2015, 06:08 AM
Wow, Dee, what a day! So now you can take a deep breath, smile and know you'll be ready for all of those future outings. Wonderful that your GG friend helped you out -- it will be a real confidence booster knowing that you look good. Just a word of advice from my experience, such as it is -- don't overdo the makeup, especially during the day. I find that blending my makeup lightly helps me blend in. Not like when I started, somewhere between Goth and streetwalker...

Beverley Sims
02-18-2015, 09:53 AM
You have got over a couple of rough firsts and when you do go out dressed, wear an appropriate wig.

Victoria Demeanor
02-18-2015, 10:08 AM
Dee, u da girl.......... Congrats.
Yes I need to do that as well, I've bought a bunch of makeup all trial and mostly error. I am just now getting to the point that I can stand in the makeup section and read and compare with a little ease. most of what I have bought has been looking at it out of the corner of my eye, grabbing it, throwing in my basket and hurrying to the sporting goods section. Believe me I get the Data comment LOL. Maybe I can borrow some of your bravery and go get professional help.
Good post
Victoria D ;)

pamela7
02-18-2015, 10:13 AM
To go to a make-up counter which is in public view and ask for a make over requires even more courage.

The strange thing was that it took no courage at all to sit there for the make-over. the SO was a little surprised but goodwilled - they're there to MAKE money and ours is as good as anyone's. And you know what, no-one passing by noticed or even looked. In this day of wifi and mobile social media people are the least aware they've ever been.

DeeNile
02-18-2015, 10:27 AM
To clarify a little, I didn't get a makeover. The entire scenario lasted at most, five minutes. I walked up to the counter where the two SAs were chatting while stocking shelves. I asked for some help, to which both women responded with sure, help with what. I took a deep breath and said I needed something to cover my beard. The two kinda looked at each other, then at me, and the younger said, come have a seat. She took out a paint brush, swiped a couple different shades across a tiny spot on my face, said which one worked best, cleaned me up and sold me the product. I then got a freebie promotion thrown in for good measure. I am not trying to lessen the experience, but this particular mall is incredibly dead, so it wasn't a very busy place. If I remember, the entire time the only people in the area were myself and two SAs. There MIGHT have been a few senior citizens walking laps out in the mall area, but I was at the makeup counter in an anchor store. It was An overwhelmingly positive experience. If mall makeup weren't so damned expensive, I would make a habit of going there exclusively from here on out.

Avery.Quinn
02-18-2015, 01:56 PM
Congrats! Now have some fun, Youtube has great tutorials, :)