PDA

View Full Version : 2015 cleveland comic con

Closeted Kat
02-21-2015, 04:34 PM
To those geeks out there. I just returned from the Cleveland Comic Con. It was a wonderful time. While i was there i saw at least 3 crossplayers. For those of you who don't know crossplaying is where a person of one gender wears the costume of another gender, or changes the gender of their character to match their own opposite gender. I was lucky enough to have a friend take a picture of me with a harley quinn who i'm pretty sure after being up close was crossplaying. They had the right body shaped, the slightly mannish rasp in the voice when saying ok that they would take a picture with me. I loved her rendition and of all the harley quinns i saw that day she was probably #2 for best i saw for that character. She was also wearing some likely 2 in platform heels in the costume, was able to move very fluidly and feminine. I have to say I wish i had that courage and that beautiful body shape. If that crossplayer is here I was to say how inspiring you are to me, and to let others know of your wonderful costuming. Also no one bats an eye at people crossplaying at these events and many of them were having pictures taken by numbers of people. So if you are geeky and want to be appreciated in public, i'd say these events around the country are a good place for those of us who might be a little more self conscious. Hope some of you get a chance to even go in drab and enjoy the festivities and perhaps to get a glimpse of our sisters.
-Kat :)

Katey888
02-22-2015, 02:00 PM
I don't think we have too many cosplayers or crossplayers here Kat... :)

Personally, I think it bears some consideration and comparison for what some of us feel and do. For example, I suppose many comic fans are actively expressing their admiration of a particular character by doing their best to emulate their image? I know from what I've read here and how I feel that many of us try to emulate a look that is most feminine because of how much we admire GGs and how they can look and dress. And that emulation can be somewhat measured by the effort that goes into the presentation, although it's probably a little easier with some comic characters in being able to wear a mask and stuff padding in appropriate parts... perhaps...

I certainly feel there are some similarities also in being able to express a part of one's persona through dressing that otherwise might just seem out of place - isn't that also a good reason to have the presentation reinforcing the persona?

Anyhoo... I had to check out YT to remind myself of what Comic Cons are all about and I know this is San Diego in 2013, but there are some great costumes here... and also some great costume wearers... :o and it's really quite amusing too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEE8IOxVWI8

No crossdressers I could see - and would it be easier to blend or would we be just seen as we are at Hallowe'en, more in amusement than anything else...? Something to ponder on over this evening's wine... :wine:

Katey x

Kimonogirl
02-22-2015, 08:31 PM
Only three?! I almost think being a dude is SIN.......
We cannot correct our monkey arms, narrow pelvis, wide ribs....must we remain hideous unless we make preparations as twice as girls do?
In here Korea, message board made by very arrogant female cosplayers named Threadic is full of arrogant threads contains hatred of crossplayers/crossdressers

Beverley Sims
02-23-2015, 09:57 AM
I think you might have missed a few in this day and age.
Talking to one cross player, there seems to be a high percentage who disguise themselves this way.

Closeted Kat
02-23-2015, 04:52 PM
I'm sure i missed some. However I was only there a few hours on one day. Also you have to figure that the number of people i pass in comparison to the whole convention is quite small. I love people who cosplay and i've been inspired that perhaps i'll start as well as prop building as i have some mechanical/artistic skills that i use as well as many tools at my disposal. Also i said nothing about being hideous. Again i meant to disrespect to the player about the voice but that is what actually gave it away to me. Having been on this forum has kind of made me more in tune to these things. I'd have been really oblivious before. Anyway again i'm happy i went, i'm inspired and i hope more people can have good experiences.
-Kat :)

Zeldamoonflower
02-27-2015, 07:56 AM
Yeah girls have some of the coolest costumes at conventions

Closeted Kat
02-27-2015, 05:06 PM
i know! i'm so jealous. Since being there i've been inspired to start building props and stuff. I'm thinking if i ever went out to cosplay i'd like to eventually crossplay. Then i can have the best of everything!