PDA

View Full Version : Mirrors vs. Photos

cindyinsatin
02-24-2015, 11:06 AM
Kind of new here so I am sure there has been a thread on this before. But I just have to ask…

Is what you see in the mirror the same as you see yourself in a photo?

Spending my last morning for a while en femme. Decided to take some pics…first time I have done this. I am surprised at how differently I view myself looking into a mirror as opposed to viewing myself in a photo while all made up.

Cindy

aprilgirl
02-24-2015, 11:30 AM
Hi Cindy,

For me anyway, I view photos of myself in a more positive light than my reflection in the mirror. I suppose it could be due the fact that a photograph captures a moment in time, but I delete the "bad" ones, so those images are gone from my memory.

So, what was your impression of your femme image between the photos and your reflection?

docrobbysherry
02-24-2015, 11:42 AM
In my case, I always think I look good in the mirror! But, I'm near sighted and rarely wear glasses when dressed. I can see my photos quite clearly.

On the other hand, photos hide the many small defects that I can see clearly if I AM wearing my glasses when I look in my mirror!

cindyinsatin
02-24-2015, 11:48 AM
I definitely view the image in the mirror as much more appealing!

Plus, being an amateur at makeup doesn't help…

Cindy

cindyinsatin
02-24-2015, 11:48 AM
Had intentions of posting a pic or two…but now, not so much!!!

Cindy

Candice Mae
02-24-2015, 11:51 AM
It really comes down to viewing angle and lighting, often the camera is not taking a picture from the same position as your eyes. So the angle is off and some times the change in angle is not flattering. Also camera will also react differently to light then your eye, making that cheap make up look even worse.

cindyinsatin
02-24-2015, 11:53 AM
Candice,

Not so much as cheap makeup…but lack of experience using it.

Candice Mae
02-24-2015, 12:25 PM
I wasn't directing that at you, just CDs in general use cheap make up.

Katey888
02-24-2015, 12:28 PM
Had intentions of posting a pic or two…but now, not so much!!!

:lol2:

It's alright Cindy, after the first half-dozen metaphorical batterings here you'll find you'll be numb to any more... ;)

A mirror always seems more real... every little wrinkle (OK! Big wrinkles...) and every little incorrect posture seems glaring, but a photo can be selected, and sometimes 'tweaked' if you want... :eek: And a photo flattens and flatters, if you get the lighting right, the focal length and distance right... but don't be ashamed or scared to reject the bad ones - after all, celebs do the same for what might be a gopping look that only lasts for a fraction of a second, whereas actually the better looking shots should be more representative of you in real life...

If you really want to analyse how unfeminine we can be, video is either the nightmare scenario or the shock learning process... :facepalm: First time I videoed myself en femme was a real wake-up call if ever I wanted to go out and appear even slightly femme. So save video until you're having a good day...

Katey x

NicoleScott
02-24-2015, 12:30 PM
You can see yourself from different angles in photos that you would need multiple mirrors to do (I have a mirror with two side mirrors hinged. The unit hangs over a door. Love it.)
Also, your mirror image is reversed.

cindyinsatin
02-24-2015, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. It was a first attempt, and I know nothing about makeup, lighting or photography…so, guess I should not have been expecting too much.

Candice, if you could only ask my wife…I don't do anything cheap. Not bragging. I just feel if you are going to do something, invest in the best and the results will be much more pleasing.

My wife would be content to shop for underwear at Sams or Walmart, while I have a closet full of lingerie from Prima Donna, Simone Perele, etc.

Cindy

meganmartin
02-24-2015, 12:50 PM
Cindy,

In my experience pictures are always more positive.
The great thing about the digital age you can take as many as you want, delete the bad and only show the good ones.
The mirror you have to break it and you never get a second shot.

Also I find pictures are best to try to show different outfits and poses.

Beverley Sims
02-24-2015, 01:10 PM
A very divided response here.
Viewing yourself in the mirror lets you see a more favourable view of yourself.
You can smile and take notice whilst you make eye contact with yourself.
Look in the mirror and don't smile and you see a less flattering you.
A picture and to some extent a video is a moment in time that others see and when you look at it you see warts and all.
Videos are good for deportment training and if you have sound a video can be very soul destroying in the early stages.
You do need to use all three modes to improve your presentation.
It will always be soul destroying to you but progressive shots will let you see how you have improved.
If you don't improve your presentation, something is wrong. :)

Kate Simmons
02-24-2015, 01:21 PM
The mirror can fool you. The photos don't lie.Photos that haven't been altered I mean. ;):)

Candice Mae
02-24-2015, 01:44 PM
A short older clip, actually its the end of one of my other videos that I cut the end of off. I cut the end off because I didn't like the way I looked in some of the angles when I moved the camera around.

The music is"The Vermillion" by Horrendous off of their Ecdysis album, it is an acoustic instrumental song. The rest of the album is not for the faint of heart.

rachael.davis
02-24-2015, 02:06 PM
you're used to seeing yourself in a mirror (mirror image) - the next time you're in front of a mirror stick your right hand out, and touch your reflection on the right ear. look at a photo, stick your right hand out and touch your right ear (on the photo)
One of the problems with photos is that you're used to seeing a reversed image of your face when you look in a mirror which is why photos never look the way you "know" you look

audreyinalbany
02-24-2015, 02:24 PM
that and the fact that I've gotten used to seeing my female self in the mirror but the pictures…..sheesh!

Cheryl T
02-24-2015, 02:28 PM
The mirror is more subjective. You stand there and know you are looking at yourself and can either tell yourself you look wonderful or that you look terrible depending on how you wish to lie to yourself.
The photo is more objective. You view it at a distance so to speak and it's easier to see the person in the photo as someone else and be critical without actually "looking yourself in the eye".
I use the mirror to decide on a look for the session and then analyze the photos as someone else would. I feel it gives me a more realistic view of myself, sort of as others see me, not as I see myself.

Jaymees22
02-24-2015, 03:05 PM
Hi, I find this to be true also but sometimes I think I look good in the mirror and not so hot in the photo, then many times it's the opposite. So if I were you I would keep trying it's fun and you will become a better photographer, make up artist and fashionista. Hugs Jaymee

cindyinsatin
02-24-2015, 03:09 PM
Thank you all! Great words of advice and support…

Cindy

JocelynJames
02-24-2015, 03:10 PM
I like what I see in the mirror then I take 500 pics and it alls goes to hell. I keep trying to capture my good side but it's becoming painfully obvious it's not on the outside shell. -Joss

pamela7
02-24-2015, 03:46 PM
on reflection I'm not so sure about snap judgements. I generally prefer the mirror cos that's what I'm used to seeing, but the world sees me as the photo.

Sarah-RT
02-24-2015, 06:02 PM
I definitely think photos are better because you can take them at the right moment and freeze it where as in the mirror once you start moving you can pick out flaws.

In my bathroom we have a mirror above the sink, a cabinet across from it with mirrored doors and a rotating shelving unit beside that with 1 side as a mirror so I can get almost a full 360 view which is cool

mykell
02-24-2015, 06:57 PM
hi cindy, when i first joined i couldnt apply makeup to save my life, and photos that have been sent to the trash can :Pullhair: when i started to use the revlon photo ready line i feel it improved the result from the camera, but angles lighting background all play a part, thats why we have professional photographers and makeup artists....if you look at my profile picture i cropped it from another photo i wished to delete, i posted it there and come visit sometimes when i feel inadequate about this....funny thing is i looked awful that day....didnt like the way anything turned out, PM me if you'd like details.....dont want to share too much....

MelanieAnne
02-24-2015, 11:36 PM
Here's a different take on it. I think I look better in the mirror, than in photos. For one thing, trying to hold a smile while the self timer runs down isn't easy. But more importantly, you are seeing a softer, more natural image in the mirror. The light from a camera flash tends to be quite harsh and bright, compared to the natural light in a room. And that flash illuminates every flaw and wrinkle, that may not be so noticeable in the mirror.

lingerieLiz
02-25-2015, 01:37 AM
There have been studies done about this. The answer is the difference between a reversed image in a mirror and a photo. It is not unique to CDs. The brain is used to seeing you one way and has trouble with the photo. They did it on men and women and the results were basically the same.

Teresa
02-25-2015, 01:51 AM
A correctly lit photograph will win every time ! Providing you stay away from using your camera/phone, it will give a unflattering foreshortened view ! Try and use a camera with it zoomed to it's longer setting and shoot at eye level for a close up and waist height for a full length ! I made a living from it and it's the basic rules to flatter people !

Liz is also correct in the reversed image comment, so you do see yourself as slightly different !

Marcelle
02-25-2015, 03:43 AM
Hi Cindy,

It really depends. I have taken some pictures of myself and think . . . Whoa "that is one ugly old dude in make-up" and other times . . . "not bad". I have also taken a gander in the mirror and thought "not bad" only to pass by another mirror and see that "ugly old dude" in make-up again. For me, I think a lot of it comes down to angle and lighting not so much the media.

Hugs

Isha

BLUE ORCHID
02-25-2015, 08:19 AM
Hi Cindy, The mirror is a reverse negative image and a photo is a positive image.:hugs:

CarlaWestin
02-25-2015, 08:31 AM
From time to time both the mirror and camera are kind.

This was one of those times.

Candice Mae
02-25-2015, 08:55 AM
One thing that I find ruins pictures is weird poses, unless you have a small body and shoulders it is usually unflattering. Or it looks like you just put your back out...

jessicabf
02-25-2015, 09:05 AM
I'm not sure if it is true, but I think of photo as closer to what others see. However, you can use lighting and camera setting to drastically alter the look of a photo.
I think it would be a fun fem experience to have an actual photo shoot. ;-)

Cheryl James
02-25-2015, 09:55 AM
There have been times when the lighting was just right and I was in a flattering pose just as the timer ran out. In general, though, I believe that the mirror captures the look I strive for better than a camera does. Of course, it could be that I am tricking my mind into seeing what I want to see and not what is really there.

sometimes_miss
02-25-2015, 11:46 AM
A mirror or photo will show a huge man wearing clothes typically worn by a girl who weighs about 110 pounds. Which is why I don't take pictures, and don't look in mirrors. No lighting situation will help; I would need to be in a coal mine, in the middle of the night, with no lighting, during a blackout, and a total eclipse.

Isabella Ross
02-25-2015, 12:13 PM
Carla, love that photo. The reality is that good photos require skill and patience. People are snap happy these days with smartphones, etc. Well, the result are snapshots. Photos require better equipment and some basic understanding of theory and technique. And yes, some GG models are naturals (some TG as well, for that matter), but the bottom line is that models are professionals who work hard on perfecting their craft and creating a beautiful subject out of themselves.

carahawkwind
02-25-2015, 01:48 PM
Definitely mirror. I don't have a great figure and certain angles are clearly more much more flattering for me than others and it's much easier for me to get view correct in a mirror than in a picture.

StarrOfDelite
02-25-2015, 03:31 PM
Part of the reason we don't "see" ourselves in a photo as in a mirror is due to the fact that the optic quality of the cameras most people use is abysmal. Cell Phone cameras have gotten better since the introduction of the later models of the iPhone, but not better enough. If you want to take good pictures of yourself, you need a good point and shoot or SLR with an optical zoom of at least 4X, a remote control, a tripod, and a place where you can set up a neutral backdrop. Nikon, Olympus, Canon are good brand names, but be sure to check to see if you are getting glass or plastic lenses. You need to shoot closeups with a high zoom to avoid the "big nose" look. And, learn how to use at least the basic picture editing tools available on something as rudimentary as Windows Picture Manager. We humans have this thing called a brain, and even tho' we don't use it all the time, it's optic sensors are always working to correct the images that it delivers to our consciousness. Cameras don't have any such device, and that's why brightness, contrast, color tone, cropping, et cetera are helpful. Also, if you want to look natural, you can use the computer computer to mirror reverse the images so you'll look like yourself to yourself.