PDA

View Full Version : Could this be a turn of events? I'm not sure.

BeckyAnderson
02-01-2006, 12:53 PM
January 31, 2006

Actually, this happened last night.....(an excerpt from my online diary (http://home.comcast.net/%7Eiamacd/diary.htm))

If anyone is interested in being bored to death my complete diary is on my web site.

Could this be a turn of events? I'm not sure.

I was sitting here dressed this evening and looking at a few pictures on my computer that I had taken earlier in the day. As usual when my wife is home my door was closed. She was in a good mood. I had to go to the ladies room so I let my wife know so she could cover her eyes. When she told me she was ready I opened the door and left the room with the pictures still up on my computer screen, leather jacket on my chair and my purse on the floor (thinking I would be right back). While I was in the bathroom my wife told me she wanted to put some mail on my desk. For some reason I had forgotten that the pictures were up on the screen and the other stuff around or on my chair. Anyway, I said, "go ahead, I'll be in the bathroom for a few minutes." She put the mail on my desk and went back into the kitchen. I came out of the bathroom and back into my computer room. As I walked in I realized what I had done and what she had seen and I felt my heart sink. I purposely asked her a question and her mood was decidedly different. SHE HAD SEEM MY PICTURES, MY JACKET AND MY PURSE!!!! She went down to the bedroom and as she walked passed my closed door she said, "I'm going to be in the bedroom for a while, you can open the door now. But her tone of voice was that of a depressed person.

As I mulled over the ramifications of her discovery of my pictures I heard my brother-in-law's truck pull into our driveway. I immediately shut down the computer, grabbed all of my stuff and went to the bedroom door to tell her that her brother was here. She panicked and said, "What the hell am I going to tell him?" I said, "I'll go into the bathroom, turn on the water in the tub and you tell him I just got into the shower." I went into the bathroom, closed the door and she came out of the bedroom to answer the front door. After a few minutes came around to the bedroom door entrance to the bathroom and said something that I couldn't hear because of the water running in the tub. She repeated it several times and I still couldn't hear. She was talking low enough so as not to let her brother hear what she was saying. Finally, I cracked open the door, asked her to repeat what she had said and I still couldn't hear her.

Well.......I finally opened the door all the way and there we are face to face for the first time while I was dressed.....I'm dressed to the 9's and she's in panic mode. I was surprised that she had a nonchalant expression on her face while she was looking right at me. She said, "You are going to have to change because he wants to ask you something." I said, "Okay stall him for about twenty minutes and I will change, get rid of my nail polish and makeup and then come out." Which she did.....

When I finally came out he asked me his question and we had a short conversation about a few things and then he left (never suspecting what he had walked in on). After he left, my wife looked at me and I looked at her thinking the brown stuff was going to hit the fan. She walked from the front door back into the kitchen and said, "Wow....that went well....How the hell did you get undressed and take off the nail polish and makeup in that short amount of time?" I jokingly told her with a half smile on my face that that was exactly what I used to do before you knew about my crossdressing so I have plenty of experience." Then she started to laugh, as did I. I thought to myself that this went rather well. She saw my pictures on the computer screen, my purse and jacket and she's seen me dressed, I almost got caught by my brother-in-law (all in one evening) and she's laughing. Wow!

For a brief moment in time I thought that maybe this was the evening that will change things around a bit and perhaps she won't mind seeing me dressed around the house now. I was elated! I walked out of the room for a minute and then back in and she was again laughing out loud.....I said with a smile on my face, "What?" And she said, "I have to tell you....(slight pause but still laughing).... that you make one ugly woman! At least in the dim light." My jaw and my heart hit the floor and I felt so empty and alone. How could someone you love so much (even inadvertently) crush you like that? Those two short sentences devastated me so much so that I almost started to cry but I held back with all my might Now I know I don't have the facial features a woman but hearing her say that just tore me up. I take a great deal of pride in how I dress and how I look.

I went back into my computer room and closed the door......I sat there with a tear in my eye and thought about what she had just said. At first, I thought it was mean and heartless of her to say that and I was hurt. Then I began to wonder if perhaps it was a defense mechanism of sorts. I know it has to be a shock to see, for the first time, your man dressed as a woman. Well, call me stubborn, but I convinced myself to hold onto the idea that it was her defenses saying that and she wasn't trying to be heartless.

Well, I guess time will tell.....the next time I get dressed I think I will know for sure whether or not it was a defensive statement.

Even though we come to accept ourselves for who we are there is still so much pain in being crossdresser.......

To be continued.....

tifftg
02-01-2006, 01:12 PM
A big step, focus on the positive aspects of this and don't get too hung up on her mean comments.

I just went to your web site and your photos are lovely. The other possiblity is she may need new glasses.

Hugs,

Tiffany

Shelly Preston
02-01-2006, 01:16 PM
Hi Becky

Judging by your picture I think your right it is a defensive mechanism
However now that she has seen you things may change. why would she consider hiding her eyes to something she has seen, ( as they say you cant put the genie back in the bottle). IT may just take some time to get used to the idea. She may be looking for tips on undressing quickly, including polish etc.

Good luck honey

Maria D
02-01-2006, 01:21 PM
For what it's worth, your avatar is nicely feminine. Pretty even.
Anyway, given that she was laughing, I would suspect that it was meant without malice. It might even have been something funny to say, and not true in her eyes at all. People often say things like that, sort of like a reference to a shared moment. Either way, unless she's a very callous person, I'm sure she didn't mean to hurt you and would be very upset if she knew what she'd done to you.

Take care
xxx

PaulaJeanette
02-01-2006, 01:32 PM
Becky,

Wow, it's a good thing you didn't suffer cardiac arrest. I bet your heart was going a mile-a-minute.

Well, I think you've got it right regarding your wife's comment. It appears to have been her defense mechanism kicking in and the circumstances required something to say. The key will be if she retracts or apologizes after she has had some time to reflect on her statement. As a whole, women tend not to say hurtful things. But then on the other hand, if she doesn't recant, then she may have meant it to communicate her displeasure or discomfort.

Regardless, good luck in moving forward but remember...don't push too hard too fast. Also, remember that it may not get any better and you already have what appears to be an acceptance working level.

Best wishes,

PaulaJeanette

Keely
02-01-2006, 01:42 PM
Good luck with the SO take it slow.

By the way, no way do you look like an ugly woman.

Keely

Reana
02-01-2006, 01:46 PM
I have posted this pic previously but it seems appropriate for this reply, and, forgive me, but I just think it's just so cute.

Well, the pic didn't come up. I apologize for that. It appeared to upload. I'll work on this and try to do better next time.

kellypm
02-01-2006, 01:47 PM
hi becky

hope you don't mind but i thought i would give you my two pence from a gg perspective,

firstly i would say that this was most definately a defense mechanism for your wife, i think what you need to remember is that as much as this first face to face meeting was scary and huge for you it probably felt ten times more for her, as least when her brother arrived you could hide in the bathroom till you were ready:D but your wife had to sit with her brother on her own mulling over what just happened.

If she was not ready to see you for the first time she was probably deciding on the best way to react after everyne had gone.

personally i have made jokes to my dear hubby about julia and these are usually when i am uncomfortable or unsure about something he is doing.

i can be almost certain that she said what she did with no malice intended, and if she realises she has upset you she probably feels bad about it.

i would say that how you react to this is now quite important, you could take it to heart and stay as you two are or you could try and talk to her about it just jokingly say something like the other day you said i was not a very attractive women could you tell me where i need to make some changes?

of course this is only my opinion and as much as she hurt you when she said what she did please remember that she could have said nothing and just stormed off in a mood and not said anything i would take this as progress

i apologise if i have said the wrong thing or upset you further i just wanted to try an convey how she might be feeling herself

Kelly

Julia Cross
02-01-2006, 01:53 PM
Becky,

It is unfortunate she made such a comment about your appearance, however given the scenario you described it doesn't seem unsuspected. She clearly isn't comfortable with your dressing and likely wishes you didn't and I really believe she doesn't understand at all why you dress "to the 9's" in the first place.

Also, based on what you described, I think a little empathy is due for her as well. While you should be allowed to express yourself as you feel, and you should be able to do as feel in your own home, so should she. For her to have to make up stories or distractions to her brother while you hide in the bathroom seems a little selfish as well. In my opinion, a bett er solution should be found or some sort of compromise. You should be able to dress but you shouldn't put her into a situation where she needs to lie to cover up something that makes her so uncomfortable. It would not surprise me at all if she feels resentment towards your dressing because of times like this. And resentment does not open the door for acceptance.

Sorry for not being so sympathetic, while I understand your sadness I feel that perhaps you need to revisit how you dress at home to make dressing a a part of both of your lives that both can live comfortably with.

Again this an observation based on what was written, I could be completely wrong here not knowing the entire story but I feel it is something most of us CD's have been guilty of at one time or another.

Julia

BeckyAnderson
02-01-2006, 03:26 PM
Thank you friends for all of your replies.....I've had all day to ponder this event and the more I think about it, combined with your comments, the more I tend to believe it was an awkward situation that she wasn't ready for but took in stride. I really don't think she meant what she said in a malicious way. I'm just gonna let things ride as they are for right now and not mention last night to her again and see what happens.

Hugs,
Becky

mistunderstood
02-01-2006, 03:35 PM
I think you are very beautiful, on the out side and the inside. Sometimes it just takes time.

paulaN
02-01-2006, 04:11 PM
Becky my wife still thinks I look like a guy in drag. She can not see me as a woman. when she looks at me she sees me no mater how much makeup I have on that is why I tend not to dress in front or around her. however if the girls here are truthful I don't look that ugly. I think your pics look great and I mean that from my heart. your wife is probley like mine she will always see the drab you.

SherriePall
02-01-2006, 07:26 PM
Becky --
First, let me say that you always look beautiful in your photos!
Okay, I believe your wife said what she did because she was either at a loss for words or she feels that saying that will cause you to pause before you dress again. My wife, who has never seen me dressed, has teased me about "things" from time to time and once in a while what she has said has been hurtful.
I confess that I show my hurt easily (I have been known to break down and cry) usually by giving the silent treatment. After a couple of days (it usually takes that long for her to notice since I'm not much of a talker) she has asked me what is wrong and I have told her. This usually brings an apology and, I hope, a better understanding between us regarding my "hobby."
Either way, I hope you and your wife have kissed and made up by the time you read this.

RenaCD
02-01-2006, 08:05 PM
Becky your story leaves with nothing to say. Just Know with all our hearts we all Love and Admire you very much.
Beyond words keep a stout heart.

One of the Best
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Thinking of You Rena

Missy Anne's GG
02-01-2006, 09:18 PM
Hi Becky,

As I read the scenario, I also feel that your wife was caught up in the adrenaline rush of trying to keep things looking normal when her brother arrived and you were dressed. I do believe that she probably thought her comment was funny and was a way of relieving some of the tension you both experienced. I think she was trying to laugh "with" you and not "at" you.

Hugs to you,

Missy Anne's GG

Phoebe Reece
02-01-2006, 09:46 PM
Becky,

It is simply not possible for a wife to look at her husband, seeing him dressed as a woman for the first time, and give a truly objective opinion of what "she" looks like. You never know for sure what is going through her mind, but a lot of fears are certainly working subconciously. I believe some wives actually think their husbands look better as a woman than themself, and that is a major problem for them. The idea of that can be so incompatible with all their personal values that they have to say the exact opposite to resolve that internal conflict. If you are an "ugly woman" in her eyes, your crossdressing is not a threat to her own femininity.

In any case, I am sure your wife loves you and would not intentionally say something she thought would be hurtful to you. I think it was just a defense reaction. That she was laughing about the experience speaks volumes. On the whole, I think the whole experience made some progress with her and you may not have to hide yourself from her view so much in the future.

Best of luck.

Mitzi
02-02-2006, 02:59 AM
Becky, this is not to say you aren't pretty, your pics say you are...but...

I know I throw out pics of myself which aren't flattering, I look in the mirror and say.."not bad!!" and avoid looking at myself from unflattering angles. My wife, who's never seen Mitzi, says I probably look ugly as a woman...

The only validation I had that I used to be "pretty", was other TG's telling me, without my asking. Even then, maybe I was "pretty" in the company of other "girls".

On the other hand, I asked and got a frank assessment from a waitress once, that she read me because of my facial bone structure. How deflating that was...

I've met "girls" who are obviously guys, but nonetheless very pretty.

So, maybe we fool ourselves into thinking we really look prettier/passable than others see us.

Regardless, I don't believe your wife meant to hurt you, she probably expected Becky be totally passable, but saw some distracting masculine features which in her mind made you readable, and used a poor choice of words.

Mitzi

ronda
02-02-2006, 05:32 AM
from what i see in your pic you are far from ulgy it was a defense to seeing you dressed. keep smileing.:D Ronda

Sharon B.
02-02-2006, 06:34 AM
Could it be, this is her way of dealing with your hobby.
Some woman have a hard time giving saying something nice.

Tiffy
02-02-2006, 11:28 AM
Becky, i really hope it is just a defense meach. If not someone needs to go and see the eye doctor. You are so pretty. And I can not understand how anyone could be mean or try and supress you in anyway. How can you supress someone with so much talent and beauty. And so much to give. Keep you head up honey.

Kisses, April Marie