PDA

View Full Version : Question for those of you in the UK

Denise_Z
02-02-2006, 12:59 AM
If you call panyyhose tights, what do you call what we on the west side of the Atlantic call tights? And if you call them both tights, how do you differentiate the two?

Cheery GG
02-02-2006, 03:12 AM
Are your tights still pantyhose though ?

Helen MC
02-02-2006, 03:14 AM
What do you call "tights" in the USA? Are these the thicker lycra leggings often worn without a skirt or trousers over them, in which case we would call them "leggings".

Denise_Z
02-02-2006, 03:35 AM
Pantyhose and tights are two differnet things. Niether of which should be confused with leggings. Leggings are more like tight fitting pants in that they usualy don't have feet. Tights are more like pantyhose except they are made of a thicker material and are more opaque, sometimes in a pattern or with a texture. If I may not be doing a good job of explaining it maybe the following link might help show the difference.
http://www.leggs.com/

Gemma Rhodes
02-02-2006, 04:05 AM
In that case yes, we do call them both tights but we go by the denier. 10 denier are more sheer tights obviously but I have a few pairs of 70 denier black opaques we we still call tights.

Gemma xx

Cheery GG
02-02-2006, 05:19 AM
my head hurts....im confused,.....did that answer the original question or not....rofl....:)

cheery
xx

Gemma Rhodes
02-02-2006, 05:57 AM
Tights are tights, pantyhose is a silly word anyway. :cheeky: :cheeky:

Gemma xx

Cheery GG
02-02-2006, 06:03 AM
Tights are tights, pantyhose is a silly word anyway. :cheeky: :cheeky:

Gemma xx

Too right Gem well said....lol

I know why dont we start a thread about the different words between the USA and UK, and see if we can all learn some new stuff from each other...for example

USA sidewalk UK Pavement

maybe a new thread would be best rather than highjaking this one....

Kieron Andrew
02-02-2006, 06:07 AM
Too right Gem well said....lol

I know why dont we start a thread about the different words between the USA and UK, and see if we can all learn some new stuff from each other...for example

USA sidewalk UK Pavement

maybe a new thread would be best rather than highjaking this one....
seeing you suggested it why dont you start it!! ;)

Cheery GG
02-02-2006, 06:10 AM
Consider it done....willstart a thread in the lounge, as this isnt exactly related to cd'ing...

cheery
xx

Kieron Andrew
02-02-2006, 06:14 AM
Consider it done....willstart a thread in the lounge, as this isnt exactly related to cd'ing...

cheery
xx
ok hun brilliant

Cheery GG
02-02-2006, 06:15 AM
Still not sure deises question has been answered though....all i know is tights are tights....bloody awful things anyway !

cheery
xx

Kieron Andrew
02-02-2006, 06:22 AM
Still not sure deises question has been answered though....all i know is tights are tights....bloody awful things anyway !

cheery
xx
tights are tights in my mind.....whoever thought the word pantyhose up anyway!! it seems a silly word!

Lindahexi
02-02-2006, 07:26 AM
Here in the Uk I call tights 'TIGHTS', never use the word pantyhose, but because this is an American site (with more of our American cousins than Brits) I try to use their terminology. Same with panties really, knickers is our word.

Lilith Moon
02-02-2006, 07:34 AM
My understanding:

US pantyhose = UK tights
US tights = UK leggings (?) = UK thick tights.

Maria D
02-02-2006, 02:39 PM
From the old English hosa, meaning 'leg covering', we get 'hose'. These were worn by higher class men, think William Shakespeare. As time moved on, men stopped wearing them, and women started; not sure why but there you go. In the 20th century and the advent of nylon, lycra and a few other 'modern technologies' hose manufacturers were able, for the first time, to 'stitch together' the two hose, with a bit in the middle. This is the origin of your word of the day, pantyhose, because they had a panty in the middle. Women went wild over them and they quickly outsold stockings. How do I know this? Because I'm sad, that's how. Saddo knowledge girl that's me. :(

I don't mind either name tbh, tights kinda makes sense since it's descriptive, and it's easier to say.
What?
Ok, so I'm lazy ;)

xxx

Anita Mae GG
02-02-2006, 03:33 PM
What is the lounge and how do I get to it? I want to check out the US vs UK thread

Keely
02-02-2006, 06:16 PM
click on the crossdresser.com link at the top of this page. 'nother whole world there.

Butterfly Bill
02-02-2006, 09:17 PM
What do you call "tights" in the USA? Are these the thicker lycra leggings often worn without a skirt or trousers over them, in which case we would call them "leggings".

"Tights" can mean opaque leggings (usually without feet), the things that a male ballet dancer wears (with feet), or what a male Renaissance faire performer in noble garb wears below his tunic.

Denise_Z
02-03-2006, 01:00 AM
Thanks everyone. That did answer my question.

Orangina
02-06-2006, 09:37 PM
And a cell phone is a mobile

Tamara Croft
02-06-2006, 10:07 PM
Thanks everyone. That did answer my question.It did? what was the answer then +? Cus the question confused me... :bs:

Denise_Z
02-07-2006, 02:01 AM
lol Well, I wanted to know if what we call tights in the good ol USA is called something else in the UK. Apparently not.
In other words pantyhose in the US = tights in the UK and tights in the US also = tights in the UK.
Is does that clear it uo or did I just muddy things up further?

Jasmine Ellis
02-25-2006, 09:15 AM
Tights are Tights = Tights UK........