PDA

View Full Version : 3 days working in an underwear store--observations

JayeLefaye
03-12-2015, 07:04 AM
I didn't want to sidetrack another thread, but this quote stood out as something that I think most of us can identify with:
" Part of the allure I guess is that they are women's clothes."

So, I spent 3 days, as a contractor, working in a name brand underwear store. I won't mention the name, but it also describes someone who makes a living riding race horses.

The difference between the men's side and the women's was amazing, but not in the way I expected.

The men's side:
Not a tighty-whitey to be found. All kinds of styles, all kinds of materials. All kinds of colors, as if a box of crayons had exploded.

The women's side:
Sports bras in various colors, and tons of "form-shaping" attire, with very drab colors, which, I suppose, says a lot about how unrealistic physical "ideals" are foisted upon women every time you turn around.

In relation to the quote above; the men's side held no attraction for me. I don't care how colorful or what style. They are not women's, and if I could find a time machine to go back 10 years or so, and toss in some PC-incorrectness, the entire men's side looked soooo gay!...So, I guess it's progress of a sort???

The women's side held more attraction, but only if I could drop 20 pounds so that they might actually make a difference.

I need to get me to a V/S soon!!!

Jaye

Kate Simmons
03-12-2015, 08:28 AM
My GF bought me a black pair of jockeys with a red smiley face on for Christmas last year. Depending on our outlook men's underwear these days can be anything but boring. :battingeyelashes::)

Sarah-RT
03-12-2015, 09:25 AM
I noticed in primark they are selling "superhero" themed boxers that have kapow bam etc plastered all over and are quite vibrant, the women's section in my local store is right by the entrance to the men's section, clever really, but the women's underwear are mostly subtle pastels and the more racy items are just black and pink usually.

I find as you say that's the men's section is becoming more and more "gay" or unisex if you'd prefer. I may crossdress but I wouldn't wear them in male mode that's for sure

Lynn Marie
03-12-2015, 09:42 AM
I love "tighty-whities"! They're eminently practical. They're soft, they're comfortable, and you know immediately if they need to be changed. Black, sexy, lingerie, not so much, but so much fun for sure. I've never gone to bed in my boy's underwear, but I've often spent the night in bed in lingerie.

CONSUELO
03-12-2015, 11:15 AM
I was passing the lingerie section of a major Dept. store here in Houston and noticed that the colors are very drab and uninspiring. This was especially the case for the very large section of shape wear. Dull,Dull Dull!!

LilSissyStevie
03-12-2015, 11:35 AM
For some reason I'd rather wear "gay" men's underwear than women's boxer shorts. Yes, they make them!

Beverley Sims
03-12-2015, 11:43 AM
I am not enthusiastic about his pants for her.
Frillies for me.

DonnaT
03-12-2015, 11:56 AM
The expanded variety in men's underwear is derived from the phenomena of sagging pants exposing men's underwear.

susan54
03-12-2015, 03:37 PM
I wear plain women's briefs at work, with no lace or frills that might show through thin male trousers, but wear much more feminine ones in the evening. I find the shape and cut of the women's version is genuinely more comfortable than male. That may or may not be connected with my natural shape looking so good in a skirt or dress. I have not even looked at male underwear in shops for over ten years - I have a few old pairs I use on these 5-6 days a year I need male underwear - they may be old but hardly used!

RADER
03-12-2015, 03:43 PM
Many years ago, I remodeled a "Jean Nichol" store.
What beautifully clothes and underwear; how ever, nothing in my size.
I was drolling the entire 20 days I was working there, I just wish I
could have been able to wear something, just anything.
It was like being in a candy store with out money.
Rader

lingerieLiz
03-12-2015, 09:20 PM
Yes women wear beige underwear. Lots of it! If you look young girls tend to wear the cute bras and panties. Lots of colors for lingerie didn't come in until the 60s. Before that most lingerie was white except for black which was often for special occasions. Colors blasted in with the start of the 60s. Maidenform ran an ad showing a woman in a very blue suit saying something about undercover or what ever. Then they showed her in a red bra and half slip. I had to have them and ended up buying a similar suit.

In the 80s Oprah and Ivanna Trump extolled the virtue of nude lingerie and slips not required. You can find a lot of different colors if you look today. I have a large collection and in the foam cup bras several pretty colors. Many styles have 7 to 10 colors.

kimdl93
03-13-2015, 07:51 AM
They could make, and maybe do make, mens undies in lace and satin, and I still wouldn't wear them. For me, it misses the point...or at least my need. I've spent a lifetime trying to escape male clothes whenever possible.

GypsyGirl10
03-13-2015, 08:43 AM
Here's a place that sells lacy lingerie for men:http://shop.hommemystere.com/categories/All-Products/?q=store/categories/All-Products/
Doesn't do anything for me. Saw it referenced in Mens Health magazine.

I've worn colorful men's briefs most of my life, partly because they are as close to women's panties as I felt comfortable buying many years ago. Once while visiting my mother-in-law, she did our laundry and said she couldn't tell the difference between my underwear and my wife's! (she wasn't paying attention to fabric, obviously!). I absolutely hate boxers except maybe to sleep in. For me it's about wearing clothes made for women. I want to feel feminine.

GypsyGirl

Candee
03-13-2015, 09:15 AM
As for me, I've gotten rid of most of my men's underwear except for a few pair that I keep in case I'm going to the doctors office for a checkup. I wear panties the rest of the time. They fit so much better and I won't go back to wearing men's underwear. Men's underwear is boring...:rolleyes::

Sarasometimes
03-13-2015, 09:17 AM
I have also noticed that some women's underwear is designed to mimic men's. My wife has a pair of jockey hipster with a simulated fly in them!

Another bad trend is women's leggings, compression shorts are now being made with the most uncomfortable waistbands like men's briefs have. I swear that technology has remained unchanged in men's undies for decades!
For me to crossdress I need to wear women's whatever!

Linda-x
03-13-2015, 12:12 PM
I was having a hard time finding tighty-whities in my brand, so I thought I would try Walmart. I could not believe it! 5 pack of multi colored string bikinis in cotton, and 3 pack of low rise briefs in a micro fibre material. And yes, these are for men in the "life by jockey" series. And yes, I bought one of each.

Janine cd
03-13-2015, 08:51 PM
I still find that feminine white briefs are much more comfortable than any of the male briefs that I have worn. I think it has to do with the soft spun cotton fabric and gentle elastic band.

Barbara Black
03-14-2015, 11:52 AM
I agree Janine, for the same reasons, soft spun cotton and gentle elastic bands.