PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on referring to women

Danitgirl1
03-18-2015, 08:16 AM
I have been wondering about the way we (as a community) refer to women.
Why do we so easily and readily call grown women 'girls'?
Do you think that we should find another more respectful term rather than 'GG'?
What about CGW (cis-gender woman)? Is this not a better descriptor?
Am I being too politically correct?

Jaylyn
03-18-2015, 08:26 AM
There was a big post on this subject a while back. I still think it's ok to be called gal or girl. It's just a term but we all know what it means. Many are just guys in women's clothes and makeup. They are not officially a girl or a genetically one but we all know what w mean by hey gal or you look great girl. Maybe it just means an acceptance of who we are or that we look good pretending to be a GG. I really would prefer to be called gal or girl than a cis-gender woman. I think man in a dress or cis-gender has way too much of a perverted sound to it. Of course I've never been accused of being politically correct in my life either. Maybe the old saying can apply here as well " call me what you like, but just be sure and call me for supper" Texan talk there....

2B Natasha
03-18-2015, 08:54 AM
Why yes you are being to politically correct.

If "girls " does suit your taste. How about referring to them as women or ladies. But I would stay away from broad, wench and old ladies. Nobody wants to be referred to as at IMHO.

To assume that all women are cis gendered is just as wrong as assuming all cd's are gay.

Kate Simmons
03-18-2015, 09:41 AM
What's wrong with their names? Many women would rather be referred to and acknowledged for who they are as people, gender notwithstanding.:)

Jenniferathome
03-18-2015, 09:56 AM
...Am I being too politically correct?

Yes, you are.

WOMEN refer to them selves as both women and girls. My wife says she is going out with her "girlfriends" not "women friends." It's just a word. Does mankind mean only men?

Amy Lynn3
03-18-2015, 10:01 AM
Little to PC for me, as women refer to men as boys. They say things like....boys and their toys and many other things. I sort of like to refer to women as wonderful.:battingeyelashes:

Stephanie47
03-18-2015, 10:37 AM
In the real world, not here, females seem not to mind the usage of "girls" if the description is used in a tasteful and appropriate manner. If someone is going to cast dispersions upon a female (choice of words/voice inflection) it does not matter what word is used. You're going to get some serious heat. My wife usually names the people she is going out with. Also, when she uses the term "girls," she is usually referring to her two breasts, not people.

On this forum I wish everyone would drop the usage of SO, significant other. There is a world of difference between girlfriend and wife. The advice can be totally different for a wife or girlfriend issue.

As to being politically correct, forget it! Use whatever descriptive term you want as long as it is meant with good taste and does not show any hostility. I've been around way too long for young kids to reprimand me for terms they choose not to use because some other person has told them not too. I consider them to be judgmental and have limited thought processes.

Isabella Ross
03-18-2015, 11:39 AM
Answer to your last question: Yes. Perhaps there's a cultural difference between Canada/US and South Africa? Here in North America, women often refer to themselves as girls, and many older women seemed to be pleased to be referred to as girls. ??

carhill2mn
03-18-2015, 11:52 AM
Personally. I prefer GW (genetic woman) as opposed to GG. Many women of any age to refer to each other as "girls" so, I suspect it is a matter of preference.

SandraB
03-18-2015, 12:00 PM
Apologies in advance for my naivety.

Prior to joining the site a few weeks ago, the term GG always meant 'horse' to me. I had to look up the abbreviation in context to see what it meant. When I saw it was for Genetic Girl, I liked it as it immediately clearly and conciesly conveyed the message. Coming across CGW and finding it stands for CIS Gender Woman, I must admit the description of the term didn't mean anything to me and I had to further look up the meaning.

On Wikipedia the initial description is :
'Cisgender and cissexual (often abbreviated to simply cis) describe related types of gender identity where individuals' experiences of their own gender match the sex they were assigned at birth'.
You need to have a fairly clear head to digest that!

Use whatever descriptive term you want as long as it is meant with good taste and does not show any hostility.
I agree with Stephanie. In addition, I have a preference for plain simple english and to leave the lawyer-eze to the lawyers.

Rachelakld
03-18-2015, 01:16 PM
As with any word, we make our own meaning to it, and we can be happy with the OUR meaning or offended.

Some women could feel their life acheivements downgraded if you refer to them as girls, others might think they are still young and attractive.
But the word is still the same and it's their choice to be either positive or negative about the word.

ChristinaK
03-18-2015, 01:31 PM
Let's call em chicks!

Kristy 56
03-18-2015, 02:19 PM
Depending on the situation I've used the terms girls,ladies or woman. I don't think anyone was ever offended. At least as far as I know

KlaireLarnia
03-18-2015, 02:54 PM
I always think referring to women as girls is a sign of age. You are the same (or similar age) so they are girls in that respect to you. "Women" are always those who are a generation older than me. So my aunts are women, my wife and friends are girls and anyone younger than us is also a girl. It is a matter of resepct to those who are older in my opinion.

Sandra
03-18-2015, 03:00 PM
I don't care what you call me so long as it's not rude or insulting :)

reb.femme
03-18-2015, 03:06 PM
I've said in a previous post, "I sometimes think the joy of language, whether spoken or written, is in its inherent ability to be misconstrued by another." However, I get fed up with peoples' ability to find offence from a totally innocuous comment.

This is yet again the labels game, by another avenue.

Rebecca

Jorja
03-18-2015, 03:16 PM
I don't care what you call me so long as it's not rude or insulting :)

Or late for dinner!;)

aussie cd
03-18-2015, 03:18 PM
too PC - yes!!!

call then whatever you like as long as respectful

Beverley Sims
03-18-2015, 03:58 PM
Sorry, you are being too politically correct.

We are getting bogged down in pedantics and there is far too much overthinking.

Various tests of the "I wonder if I am variety" are misleading and easily skewed.

Just get on with life unless you have a deep emotional problem, then see a professional for further advice.

femmale
03-18-2015, 04:06 PM
My own preference is to refer to females as women or ladies but like others mentioned as long as it doesn't upset or offend anyone then that's even better. Slightly related point is that I really hate men being called guys, lads, mate or pal! Im also new here and until I looked it up I thought GG meant genuine girl.

Meghan4now
03-18-2015, 04:39 PM
:eek:Ha ha. I was once introducing a group of women volunteers that was serving lunch at a retreat I was the MC for. I actually said "guys". One of the guys on the receiving team corrected me "ladies".

Funny thing was I was pretty tight with the women and considered them buddies. They weren't offended, but it bothered one of the older gentlemen. In the end it didn't matter. Everyone was great.

I think the context and tone are particularly important. Chicks Gals Ladies even wenches if your at the Ren Fest. Heck I'd take any of those when dressed. Wench could be fun!

Even though we hit some serious topics here from time to time, I see this place as relatively light hearted.

Krisi
03-18-2015, 04:52 PM
I have used the term "GG" in the past but I try to use "genetic women" when referring to genetic women. I'm not sure it matters but I spent several years at the end of my career at a place where being politically correct was deemed more important than being correct.

kimdl93
03-18-2015, 05:58 PM
Way too politically correct.

alwayshave
03-18-2015, 07:44 PM
I refer to those of the opposite sex as ladies unless they are 25 or young in which case I refer to them as girls.

Jorja
03-18-2015, 08:09 PM
I hear my 6 and 7 year old grandchildren refer to the group they play with as girls. Come on girls lets go play barbies. I hear 17 - 19 year old girls say, come on girls lets go to the mall. I hear 35 - 45 year old women say, come on girls lets go get some tea. I hear 50 - 80 year olds say, come on girls lets sit over here.

Make up your own mind what you want to call those of the female gender but make it good cause you don't want that biatch that lives inside of them coming out on your ass.

Sammy777
03-19-2015, 06:18 AM
Yes, you are. let it go :)

On this forum I wish everyone would drop the usage of SO, significant other.
There is a world of difference between girlfriend and wife. The advice can be totally different for a wife or girlfriend issue.

You are seriously missing the point about the term "significant other".
It is NOT just used for [pardon me] guys to describe their girlfriends or wives.

It is an umbrella term used to describe ALL possible combinations of two people currently being together in a sexual and/or romantic relationship.
It covers dating, a relationship, civil unions and marriage of ANY two people, not just a man and a woman.
Not to mention that some find it an endearing term of affection as well.

sometimes_miss
03-19-2015, 07:01 AM
I have been wondering about the way we (as a community) refer to women.
Why do we so easily and readily call grown women 'girls'?
Because many grown women refer to themselves as girls, but become upset should anyone else to it. It's sort of the same thing as using the 'N' word. People allow themselves to do it, and specific others. But reserve the right to feel slighted at any time should they feel that someone is using the word in any way that they don't like, and expect the entire world to have esp and know when it's ok and when it's not. And example of how women feel about this: They have absolutely no trouble referring to male networking as 'the old boys club', but turn around the next second and cry foul when a man refers to 'the girls at the office'.

Nikkilovesdresses
03-19-2015, 07:46 AM
What about CGW (cis-gender woman)? Is this not a better descriptor?

The marker for me is syllabic length. Girls has one syllable. Females has 2. CGW has 3, plus it isn't immediately understandable to anyone who doesn't speak your language. Why confuse people, and why not use the shortest, simplest term by default?

Let those so inclined worry about what is and what is not PC- they aren't allowed to burn witches any more- they have to get their rocks off somehow.

Dianne S
03-19-2015, 08:49 AM
I find "girls" mildly belittling. I wouldn't refer to a bunch of men as "boys", usually. But I think there are plenty of higher-priority injustices to fight at the moment.

AnnieMac
03-19-2015, 10:39 AM
No issues here, just a style based on the formal or informal usage within the context or setting. No inherent power to the word itself:

Male > Female
Man > Woman
Gentleman > Lady
Boy > Girl
Guy > Gal
Bloke > Sheila
Dude > Chick

That sort of thing. except I often hear our younger ladies now sometimes refer to each other as "dude" since that seems to have become generic. Funny, it always works in that direction, just like the clothes.

Tina_gm
03-19-2015, 03:20 PM
I am not a fan of PC at all, so just about any PC is too PC for me. Having said that though, if a group of GM's- grown men go off and play poker while their wives- GW's go shopping or to a concert or out to dinner, and the GM's say "you girls have a good time" and the GW's say enjoy boys night out, does that sound inappropriate? PC is always too PC for me when it stretches beyond basic respect, so despite my own personal opinion on PC, I would say perhaps you are just over thinking?

AnnieMac
03-20-2015, 09:05 AM
Right on, gendermutt - "stick it to the man!" PC is the enemy of free speech and freedom of speech means you might have to hear things you won't like, you just don't have to listen.

Lollipop
03-20-2015, 02:50 PM
I don't think they mind - if they do it's down to personal taste not political correctness

Ally 2112
03-20-2015, 04:48 PM
Sometimes im a girl sometimes im a women sometimes im a boy sometimes im a man .Depends on my mood or the way im dressed

BLUE ORCHID
03-20-2015, 08:07 PM
Hi Dani, I mostly use woman/women or lady/ladies.:hugs:

Krisi
03-21-2015, 09:18 AM
Outside of this forum, it's fine to use any of the terms, woman, female, lady, girl , etc. On a crossdressing forum where crossdressers often refer to themselves in feminine terms, it's necessary to be specific when referring to someone who was born and remains female. Hence the terms "GG" or "Genetic Woman". Otherwise, you leave readers wondering what you are talking about.

Greenie
03-21-2015, 10:29 AM
There is no safe space, only safer spaces.

When going to trans support group they consider GG and Cis-gender woman to both be offensive. So really, its a lose lose.

I don't think the acronyms we use on the board are the problem. I think that often its the way some members talk about GG's that is the problem.

Interesting that you bring it up, but I have far less of a probelm being called a GG, than when I see a thread about how a CD is more feminine than his wife because she wears pants. :/

SO I guess, pick your battles. The terminology is not one that is important to me. I use GG because that's something that this board uses. I do not use it in trans group because it is something they do not.

Marcelle
03-21-2015, 11:05 AM
I think it really comes down to familiarity. If I am referring to a group of women whom I know nothing about I would most likely refer to them as "ladies" or "women", if it were a group of young girls then "girls". If I am dealing with one person (woman or man) I like to refer to them by their name not their gender. On the other hand if it is a group of women whom I know and have built a rapport (my group of close friends) I have referred to them as "ladies" and in "Are we having wine tonight ladies?" and I have referred to them as "girls" as in "Are we all set to go girls?. I don't think we need to get too wrapped up in the terminology "women" vice "girls" but more so the context and manner in which it is delivered. My two cents.

Hugs

Isha