PDA

View Full Version : TSA and Breast Forms

StephanieCLT
03-20-2015, 06:29 AM
I traveled this week for work and was fortunate enough to be able to take Stephanie with me. I was able to fit all of my stuff - both my male and female garb in a carry on (I know, it wasn't easy). Anyway, I've done this plenty of times before, and I've never been stopped going through the TSA line. This time, though, my bag was searched on both my outbound (TSA Pre-check) and return (normal security line).

It seemed that they were focused on my forms both times, which I found interesting, especially that it hadn't happened before. I'm not sure if they have new software that is picking up more things or not. Anyway, the first time, a gentleman went through my bag, which had a disproportionate amount of female clothes, as you would expect, including very obvious heels (see picture in picture section from this week!), and said nothing. The second time, a female TSA agent, when going through the bag, asked me if it was my wife's bag, to which I boldly replied, "No, it's mine." :)

Anyway, no further hassles, nothing was taken, and I was on my way. Thought I'd share with you all, though. Actually, I thought about it after the first time, and then knew that I had to after the second!

Steph

VS Fan
03-20-2015, 07:30 AM
Stephanie - glad you had a good experience. I've been through DOZENS of times now with my forms in my carryon and have had them noticed as often as not, but every time they search my bag, I'll simply tell them... "I think what you're looking for is right here on the side..." or whatever to aid them in their search for the forms. Sometimes they ask how I knew what they were looking for, but I always watch the monitors to see if they pause on my bag and point at them to each other, so I know :) But in any case I've NEVER felt embarrassed or anything, I just laugh it off with a smile, and sometimes they laugh with me or make light conversation about where I'm headed etc. One trip to San Fran, the agent said, "Ohhh well that explains these then!" I'm sure some of them get a good laugh later on, but they probably see a lot weirder stuff than breast forms, and they don't know me, so who cares anyway? Anyway, thanks for sharing Stephanie! VS Fan

Jodi
03-20-2015, 10:14 AM
I have a friend that is a TSA. He told me that through the scanner/Xray, breast forms can look very much like plastic explosives. Therefore they are given visual examination.

Jodi

Beverley Sims
03-20-2015, 11:11 PM
My bag get's paused always and 95 percent of the time it is searched.

When you have a bag full of batteries, wires and computer accessories you get used to answering the questions that are asked.

One reason for me not flying pretty, that would only add to the delays and challenges I face before every flight.

Eryn
03-21-2015, 05:10 PM
He told me that through the scanner/Xray, breast forms can look very much like plastic explosives.

As can any liquid or solid item of similar density. Stating that something "looks like plastic explosives" is just the standard way to put blame onto the innocent party for the intrusion.

joanna4
03-22-2015, 04:00 AM
That's a wonderful experience. I'm happy to hear you gave a bold reply, must of been a nice feeling to keep in your mind for the week.

Mollyanne
03-22-2015, 08:20 AM
As can any liquid or solid item of similar density. Stating that something "looks like plastic explosives" is just the standard way to put blame onto the innocent party for the intrusion.

Wouldn't you be better safe then sorry????? I fly a lot for my job and DO NOT have any problem w/any search of my bag or of my person.

Molly

Pat
03-22-2015, 10:54 AM
I think it's just that everyone likes boobs. Even if they're in your carry-on bag they just want to touch them. ;-)

Re: Wouldn't I rather be safe than sorry? NO. I've been having this discussion since the first planes were hijacked to Cuba (remember when terrorists were just an inconvenience?) I'd rather live like a civilized human than be "safe." And it amazes and unsettles me that millions of people every day take their shoes off at the airport because of one moron who didn't even successfully light his exploding sneakers. Sorry. Just needed to vent.

CynthiaD
03-22-2015, 02:14 PM
I usually put my forms in my checked baggage, and it frequently gets searched (they leave a note saying it was searched). It seems to depend on the airport. Some always search, and some never do.

Laura28
03-22-2015, 03:15 PM
I travel about 150000 miles per year on average always have the forms in my checked bag I use to carry on all the time now I can't be bothered. Not to mention now I carry a bag to big for carry one. I just can't get everything in a smaller bag. My drab I can pack for a week in a brief case but not my girlie stuff lol.
I get pre check as I have global entry but I would still rather take my chances if they would get rid of TSA I think it is a huge waste of time and just another goverment agency staffed with goverment workers that really do little to protect us.

tommi
03-22-2015, 03:27 PM
I have come to expect searches going thru airport security as much
Of an inconvenience as it is it is part of our lives

Eryn
03-22-2015, 05:04 PM
Wouldn't you be better safe then sorry????? I fly a lot for my job and DO NOT have any problem w/any search of my bag or of my person.

Be careful, your argument can be applied to any situation where there is the slightest perception of danger.

Down that path lies a society of fear and oppression, not liberty and justice.

Dianne S
03-22-2015, 07:48 PM
Wouldn't you be better safe then sorry?????

Yes, but 99% of what the TSA does is security theater and not actual security. The ridiculous lineups for security during busy travel seasons suggest that terrorists simply do their deeds in the security lineup rather than on the plane. It's just moving the problem around instead of really helping to mitigate it.

I've flown from Ben Gurion airport in Tel Aviv which is certainly one that takes security very seriously, and they have no issues with you bringing liquid aboard.

On the other hand, their security agents are actually well-trained and well-paid. And they ask you lots of questions and watch your body language carefully as you answer.

That's worth 1000 X-ray machines and body scanners.

Suzie Petersen
03-22-2015, 07:55 PM
One time my checked in suitcase was searched by a female security officer (pre TSA). She got to a pair of 4 inch pumps, picked them up and asked in her pro voice: "Are these yours?" I said "Yes". She then lowered her voice and said: "They are gorgeous! Where did you buy them?" ;)

- Suzie

CherylFlint
03-22-2015, 09:08 PM
I send Cheryl’s stuff, packed in a suitcase, via FedEx or UPS, both ways.
I suggest you do the same.
The avoidance of hassles and scrutiny is wise.

Erika Lyne
03-23-2015, 07:55 PM
Not exactly about CDing but, I'll let TSA search my bag. Not always happily but...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4yG2h1aDB6k

BTW- 100 grains of gun powder weighs less than 4 oz.

-E

Adriana Moretti
03-23-2015, 08:20 PM
I know gals who have been stopped by tsa because of breast forms...and called over the superior officer to double check...the superior officer said " boobs?? you called me over here to look at boobs???"" .........he was angry the tsa agent wasted his time.

grace7777
03-24-2015, 01:21 AM
For me I fly pretty and just wear the breast forms. Now I have had issues with TSA, but it was never the breast forms.

Rogina B
03-25-2015, 08:20 PM
I have been flying for years and quite a lot of business trips as of late. Perhaps it is because my ID matches my appearance,but I don't often get any special attention from the TSA people. Monday,they did do a pat down of my legs[woman said it was just the hem of my skirt that showed funny on the screen]...But today's trip,no attention at all,so I doubt forms are targeted..