PDA

View Full Version : How to go about asking a GG about makeup advice?

Amber_Lynn86
03-29-2015, 01:04 PM
Everytime I see a girl post a picture on facebook with her new makeup or new look I always want to ask how did you do your makeup like that. But I don't want to come off as a total weirdo. What's a subtle way of asking?

Sara Jessica
03-29-2015, 01:15 PM
Easy. Go to a department store, get a makeover and then buy tons of product.

VeronicaMoonlit
03-29-2015, 01:26 PM
Also read makeup blogs, read makeup books, read the beauty-centric magazines (Allure in particular) visit makeup aficionado websites (like makeupalley) and youtube makeup videos (I'm fond of pixiwoo myself).

And practice, lots of practice.

Veronica

Linda E. Woodworth
03-29-2015, 02:46 PM
I don't think there is a "safe" way to ask any GG how she did her makeup without getting a strange look and maybe some embarrassing questions.

I admit I did it the other day in line at a fast food joint. The woman's eye makeup was so startling I was fascinated about how she did it. Since work was slow she explained in about 30 seconds. Why I got away with it that time I have no idea.

I agree that the best sources I've found are books, magazines, makeovers, and the internet. Lastly practice, practice and practice some more.

ReineD
03-29-2015, 03:16 PM
Also keep in mind that makeup doesn't change a face, it complements characteristics that are already there.

Before you or others take this the wrong way, usually when we see a fabulous makeup job it is because the person is pretty flawless and spectacular looking to begin with. If a person has skin problems like me, there is no amount of makeup that will make skin look flawless. Or, if a person has hooded-eyes like this (http://www.leadinginstanteyelift.com/media/wysiwyg/Hooded_Eye_Illustration_Lily_Leading_Instant_Eye_L ift.jpg), no eye-makeup technique will make eyes look like this (http://www.make-up-tutorials.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/eye-make-up-tutorials.jpg). If a person has thin lips (https://itsjustnaj.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/2009_0814godoh0002-31773.jpg), no amount of lipstick will make lips look full (http://lesleyreynolds.com/wp-content/uploads/angelina-jolie-cool-wallpaper-2-0-s-307x512.jpg).

So the best bet is either professional makeovers, or youtube video searches for specific makup applications. For example, I could look up "makeup for hooded eyes" if I wanted to be elaborate with eye makeup.

To your question, I would think it odd if even a GG asked me how I put on my makeup, since the application is such an individual thing because we all have different features, different skin tones and coloring, etc. What works for one person will not work for another.

Leslie Langford
03-29-2015, 05:54 PM
Not so sure I agree totally with the "...because the person is pretty flawless and spectacular looking to begin with..." part, Reine.

Have you ever seen the pictures of celebrities in tabloids or pop-culture magazines such as "People" where they show (clearly, paparazzi-generated) photos of famous women with and without their make-up on? Women who are often looked up at as the gold-standard for what we perceive as being "beautiful", "hot", or "sex goddesses" here in the Western world, but who - without their "stage make up" on - can sometimes look rather plain or dowdy in real life? Such is the power of make up when skillfully applied by a talented make up artist, and this can work wonders for "average" women as well as for crossdressers. Some artists such as Jamie Austin or Amanda Richards are especially talented at this, and the "before and after" pictures posted on this forum by those ladies here who have had the good fortune to have been able to avail themselves of their services undeniably attest to that.

Of course, the devil is in the details. It is one thing to look flawless when the make up is applied with a trowel as is often the case in making a CDer look gorgeous and 20 years younger for a transformation photo shoot, but they would never pass a "real world" test, where the rule of thumb generally is "less is more". The same is also true of female movie and television stars who need lots of studio make up to make themselves look flawless irrespective of their individual starting points because - as we all know - the camera doesn't lie, especially in today's world of IMAX and HD broadcasts where every zit, enlarged pore, or other minor blemish is amplified a thousand times.

Also, coincidental to this discussion, there was an article in the "Lifestyle" section of one of our local newspapers this weekend expounding on the fact that "contouring" is the big trend in make up these days to either downplay or highlight selected facial features, and how Kim Kardashian (what else is new?) is the one who appears to be leading the charge here. This is not exactly news to most crossdressers who know that contouring is their friend when it comes to artificially down-playing their broader and more distinctly male features (brow ridges, square jaw line, strong chins etc.), and in fact, the article did give honorable mention to drag queens as being the ones who had really perfected that art.

Greenie
03-29-2015, 06:07 PM
Depends, if its a GG that knows you are a CD.... Just ask.

If its is a complete stranger who has nice makeup, I think its weird to ask a stranger for advice on anything.

Also, mens features and womens are very different. What works for my face, doesnt work for my fiancee. So the makeup tips I have given him often don't work with his skin tone or features.

ReineD
03-29-2015, 07:45 PM
Have you ever seen the pictures of celebrities in tabloids or pop-culture magazines such as "People" where they show (clearly, paparazzi-generated) photos of famous women with and without their make-up on?

Yes, I have. Lighting is hugely important in making a person look good in pics. The candid pics usually have poor lighting which is not the case with the makeup pics. I also think both pics are altered: the no-makeup to make them look worse, and the with-makeup pics to make them look better. I don't tend to believe pics I see in the media.

I have photoshop. It's incredibly fast and easy to make eye-bags look worse or to eliminate them entirely.

I just did a "before-after makeup" search in google image. Goodness, some of the makeup is so thick there's no way a regular person could wear this and go out in public without being stared at! :p

kimdl93
03-29-2015, 09:42 PM
I agree with both the advice to go to a cosmetics counter like MAC and to study videos. Be advised that you will hear completely contradictory advice between videos. In the end you have to find what works for you through an informed process of trial and error.

After my years of practice, a number of consultations with cosmetic stylists, I have attained a basic level of proficiency.

Beverley Sims
03-29-2015, 10:24 PM
Just ask and take the reaction how it comes.
Don't beat around the bush, it wastes too much time. :)

After all it 'aint personal and is the internet.

MelodyS.
03-29-2015, 10:50 PM
I just came out to a female friend of mine last week. We ended up talking for two hours about make up. Go through your friends, find the most open minded one, let them know. You may be surprised at how accepting they are.