PDA

View Full Version : Unsolicited fashion advice

TinaZ
04-11-2015, 01:51 AM
Hi everyone:

Caveat: Used to be, when something online stuck in my craw, I'd jump into the fray loaded for bear. The results? Ninety-nine times out of 100 - lots of shouting and no one leaving with a changed mind. Today, my odds of unsheathing my wordsmith sword are about 50-50. Meaning, I let a lot of shit go, and most often I'm better for it.

Unfortunately, this post is an example when I'm not letting :censor: go. I've drunk juuuuuust enough tequila tonight to tip me towards making a small fuss. But as a sign of my maturity, instead of blasting away with the power to fell a grizzly, I'm going to kindly present my opinion on this matter, and leave it up to discussion. I might just be wrong about all of this, after all.

In my opinion, if someone does not specifically ask for fashion advice, please refrain from giving it.

Here's why: I've seen it a handful of times now, when someone will post a groundbreaking, exciting, heart-pounding message about making a big step in this journey, and while most everyone in the room offers appropriate 'atta girls, and kudos, one or two others will post about whether the OP's blouse matched her shoes, or whether her earrings were too dangly, or whatever.

It's as though we have a few self-appointed Fairy Fashion Godmothers (FFG) around here. An example:

Original Post: I can't believe this! I finally left my house. I went through McDonald's drive-through and bought a cheeseburger! I can't believe I FINALLY did it!

(Handful of cheerful, encouraging responses. Then ... )

FFG: I'm not sure if you've noticed, but not too many women go to Micky D's in an evening gown! Choose something more appropriate next time.

What strikes me most about that sort of response is the FFG somehow wants the OP to be LESS cross-dressy. As if the FFG goes out only in smart, tailored Hillary Clinton pant suits, and we all should follow his lead. Well, I hate to be the bearer of this shocking news, but whether you're in a neon pink leopard leotard, or whether you've stuffed your Arnold Schwarzenegger thighs into some sophisticated ensemble "polite society" generally offers an approving nod, you're still a DUDE in a DRESS. Thus, you are a freak on the same level all of us are a freakish.

(Sorry - thought I spotted a Kodiak down the way.)

Anyway, my advice: refrain from offering fashion advice unless it's requested. That's especially true if the OP is sharing a tale a triumph. I realize fashion advice is likely meant to be helpful and not hurtful, but when it's not requested, it's almost always taken as the former and not the latter.

Your opinions?

P.S. - I appreciate the irony this entire thread is unsolicited advice in which I harp about unsolicited advice, but I'm willing to overlook the incongruous philosophies if you are.

pamela7
04-11-2015, 01:59 AM
you make a fair point Tina, I'm no fashion guru, and what works for me does not work for someone else ... i get enough "advice" at home, though they're lightening up now and realising if i want to wear big thick socks with a dress, then i'm going to!

Curiosity666
04-11-2015, 02:11 AM
I agree wholeheartedly. Unless someone asks for criticism, then hold your tongue. Some people don't care how they look, and dress the way they feel. If that doesn't suit your expectations, too bad. By the same token, if someone is genuinely after feedback, don't be afraid to correct them. It's not such a problem here, but over in reddit land, someone will ask "Do I pass in this photo, please be honest", and we have people left right and center stating how beautiful and natural they are, even when the truth is not so nice. Better off telling them "No you don't, but some simple things to try are...". I know that's what I'd prefer.

mbmeen12
04-11-2015, 02:27 AM
I understand what your saying and yes there are, what you phrased "FFG's". But its the freedom of speech and what someone posts in an ALL the world to see forum is open to all interpretations. And of course what the mods feels if any bullying or inappropriate behavior occurs. They do a great job too.....

Persephone
04-11-2015, 02:45 AM
I see your point, Tina, but I want to throw in a funny sidebar.

Tomorrow my spouse and I have a very tight schedule and a very dressy event in the evening. With no time for dinner we need a quick snack on the way to the event and I suggested Taco Bell (one of our favority local fast foods).

She giggled and said, "That could work. We'll be sweeping into Taco Bell in evening gowns but Oh well."

So your scenario really does play out sometimes in real life! And we're not even planning on drive-thru!

(Sure hope the FFG doesn't hit me for beng overdressed for Taco Bell!).

Hugs,
Persephone.

TinaZ
04-11-2015, 02:52 AM
you make a fair point Tina, I'm no fashion guru, and what works for me does not work for someone else ... i get enough "advice" at home, though they're lightening up now and realising if i want to wear big thick socks with a dress, then i'm going to!

OMG, Pamela; I just bought a pair of big, thick, knee-high socks from Target. They're blue with sparkles and they go with nothing at all, but I cannot tell you how much I adore them!

pamela7
04-11-2015, 04:09 AM
Yes, knee-high sparkly, love it!!!

And i ordered these a couple of days ago!

http://www.tallgirls.co.uk/polka-dot-sock-navy-hj6500nv

Shelly Preston
04-11-2015, 05:11 AM
Hi Tina I understand what your saying about advice.

However that may depend on the context of the thread and how the advice is given.

Sometimes its given with the best intentions, which is normally to help the person blend in and avoid nasty comments.

As with any advice it will always be down to the individual to decide if they want to use it.

Donnagirl
04-11-2015, 06:05 AM
I agree with the lovely Tina Z.... So often posts are cathartic in nature, or the postulations, real or perceived purly hypothetical or rhetorical... Critical commentary is unsolicited, unwarranted and often unproductive. Talking personally, I have sufficient discomfort generated by aggressive self-imposition on the horns of a dilemma generated by introspection alone, external assistance, whether offered with the most sympathetic intentions or not is un-amiable at best, sinister at the extreme... Misplaced benevolence is as harmful as inadvertant cynicism.

Well, that's my opinion...

Big hugs,

Donna

Nikkilovesdresses
04-11-2015, 06:32 AM
I always love, envy and admire everything TinaZ wears without exception including her wonderful wigs and make up and thanks to her I now love the ukelele too. And microphone stands. Everything really.

...was that ok?

...am I overdoing it?

kimdl93
04-11-2015, 07:18 AM
Generally speaking, uphill refrain from giving fashion advice unless it's requested. And even then I'll refrain, because I'm hardly an expert. My goal is to not unduly embarrass myself or others.

Jenniferathome
04-11-2015, 10:13 AM
I disagree Tina. We should not be here to simply give "attaboys." That's the misunderstanding of being a "support" forum. Not all is ok and good.

Honest feedback is what cross dressers need. It helps in our collective betterment. I don't think I wrote that comment, but it is something I WOULD write. That kind of feedback is invaluable to a newbie going out.

Under your hypothesis, my only allowable response to YOUR post is "Attaboy Tina!" How does that help anyone?

Pat
04-11-2015, 10:17 AM
There are times when the only appropriate response is, "Oh, sweetie..."

Good thought. But basically the complaint boils down to people are people and they do people-y things.

Tracy Hazel Lee
04-11-2015, 11:02 AM
I generally do not ever give unsolicited advice on anything. Not on here, or anywhere else in my life. Since I myself do not want advice unless I ask for it (and even that is extremely rare), when advice is asked for, I will make a strong effort to ensure that my words can not be taken negatively. In my opinion, people ask for advice because they want your help. Giving them something that can be taken negatively does not really sound like 'help' to me. And text communication can very easily be taken the wrong way.

So, 'if you can't say something nice.....'

I'm pretty sure that everyone knows the rest of that phrase.

docrobbysherry
04-11-2015, 11:32 AM
I "bithe by tug" a lot on this site, Tina. As I will for making any comments about your OP.

But, I just HAVE TO ask; What's an FFG!?:straightface:

FFG stands for "Fashion Fairy Godmothers". I wish the heck you'd left that anacronism out of your OP,Tina. "Critics" would have been easier to get. Now, I have to re-read every nutty post here, knowing what FFG means now.

Or? I can have my glass of wine a little early---. Tuff choice!:heehee:

sometimes_miss
04-11-2015, 11:34 AM
and while most everyone in the room offers appropriate 'atta girls, and kudos, one or two others will post about whether the OP's blouse matched her shoes, or whether her earrings were too dangly, or whatever.
Why, my dear, would you think that unusual? Catty behavior is considered ultra feminine by lots of men, so it's absolutely no surprise at all that some might subconsciously feel more feminine when they indulge in it.

Lexi_83
04-11-2015, 11:37 AM
I disagree Tina. We should not be here to simply give "attaboys." That's the misunderstanding of being a "support" forum. Not all is ok and good.

Honest feedback is what cross dressers need. It helps in our collective betterment. I don't think I wrote that comment, but it is something I WOULD write. That kind of feedback is invaluable to a newbie going out.

Under your hypothesis, my only allowable response to YOUR post is "Attaboy Tina!" How does that help anyone?

Jennifer is my new heroine. Well spoken! It's the interwebz, there are forum rules to keep it decorous but there is a fly in many bowls of soup....

Rhanda
04-11-2015, 12:38 PM
A great big "Hoosier" attaboy.

Rhanda

VeronicaMoonlit
04-11-2015, 12:40 PM
What strikes me most about that sort of response is the FFG somehow wants the OP to be LESS cross-dressy. As if the FFG goes out only in smart, tailored Hillary Clinton pant suits, and we all should follow his lead.

HER lead. I would imagine that most of what you call the FFGers identify more towards the transgender end of the spectrum.

Well, I hate to be the bearer of this shocking news, but whether you're in a neon pink leopard leotard, or whether you've stuffed your Arnold Schwarzenegger thighs into some sophisticated ensemble "polite society" generally offers an approving nod, you're still a DUDE in a DRESS.

Some people here don't identify as "dudes in dresses".

Thus, you are a freak on the same level all of us are a freakish.

The thing is, we, meaning transgendered people in general aren't freaks. Some of us might even get offended when our own say we're freaks, because we're not.

Your opinions?

What you've just ran up against is the fact that we're "not all playing the same game." The FFG's as you call them are probably more female identified and want to look/be as much like non-trans women as possible. So they mention that if one wants to "look like a woman" or "pass" that one might not want to wear an evening gown at McDonalds.

The thing is, we don't all have the same motivations. As I said, we're not playing the same game.

There are times when the only appropriate response is, "Oh, sweetie..."

yeah, the "Oh honey, NO!" moment. But you have to know how to wield it properly.

Veronica

michelleddg
04-11-2015, 12:57 PM
Hurrah! Yes, indeed, too many self-appointed FFG's around here. Main problems are: 1) Offering unsolicited input. 2) Presenting subjective opinions as hard fact. 3) No bedside manner (sometimes a slap on the back, sometimes a kick in the a$$). 4) No beside manner (constructive feedback can be delivered in a kind way). 5) Way too strong opinions rendered for the information provided (e.g., there is a limit to what you can conclude from a photograph). 6) Not recognizing different strokes for different folks ("I don't like it therefore it is no good.") 7) "Advice" based on truly insufficient information, knowledge and/or experience (FFG's who come off as know-it-all's who, well, do not know-it-all). 8) Dramatically inflated view of the value of their input.

Sure, there are ample opportunities to provide value-added solicited input every day on this forum. It would benefit everybody if the FFG's would consider how to maximize the effectiveness of their input as well as providing the input itself. Hugs, Michelle

Alice_2014_B
04-11-2015, 01:18 PM
Awesome expression, I agree.
:)

Beverley Sims
04-11-2015, 01:35 PM
Tina,
This is a support group and some with little fashion sense need loving care and lies to help them through the tenderest of moments.

Don't worry, I can get bloody harsh too !

Jorja
04-11-2015, 01:36 PM
Opinions? You want opinions? You came to the right place! We got opinions even if you don't want them.:)

ReineD
04-11-2015, 01:48 PM
Tina, two questions. You write beautifully, are you a professional writer? And do you hunt? :D

To your point, I agree wholeheartedly especially in threads that focus on taking the first few steps out of the closet. People generally figure out on their own what works and what doesn't rather quickly. But if they ask for opinions then I think that people should be honest.

Victoria Demeanor
04-11-2015, 02:18 PM
Hi Tina,
I get what you are saying and ya people really should pay more attention to the true purpose and reason for the post and comment appropriate to it. When someone has had a great adventure, made a big step and they are wanting to share an awesome milestone, then yes the comment should be geared more towards the support of their courage and join in their excitement. How ever constructive criticism can be a good thing when it is done in a non catty way and of course when it is asked for.
I recently posted my first picture and believe me I knew how bad I looked. I only had a few hours, rushed and messed up my makeup, and sadly my photo equipment has dwindled down to a very cheep point and shoot. I posted because I had a fun, not trying to impress and just need to share. I did though open it up and said give it to me. Oh and the most did. I got everything from how cheep my wig looked to advice on lighting and posing. I loved and appreciated every comment, I even wrote and personally thanked everyone.
I don't really give too much advice, because, well I have not fashion sense. I wear what I like weather it matches or not. but when I comment I normally try to give it some content. I think what gets me, and not trying to change the direction of your thread, is people that fly through the threads with the "looks good"..... "nice"......"Like it" type posts. their post numbers climb and climb and I guess I just don't understand it. getting the first ten post in is beneficial, but is there a benefit to having a large post count that I don't know about? do you get a complimentary steak knife set when you reach 500? I mean I am still waiting for the toaster oven I was promised when I joined the site. although I read a lot, I only post on a couple of threads at a time and then I go back to those several times to see what other people wrote and if anyone agreed, disagreed, quoted me or ban me from their profile. Please Tina don't ban me from your profile as I love your video and just bought a whole new pack of Bic lighters :)
Okay I ramble, but oh, oh one more thing... Donnagirl, can I just say I loved your post. I read it three times and had to really think. what great wordsmithing.
Alright I'm done.

Rachael Leigh
04-11-2015, 03:43 PM
I agree Tina and sometimes I'm not sure Im even qualified to give the advise since maybe I don't know your style.
I'm sure I'm guilty of giving advice that wasn't asked so Yep we should be careful.

Sarah-RT
04-11-2015, 04:48 PM
I suggested Taco Bell (one of our favority local fast foods).

She giggled and said, "That could work. We'll be sweeping into Taco Bell in evening gowns but Oh well."

When i finished school and we had our Debs (prom?) ball, we were in the limo on the way to the hotel when the driver got lost and sent us into mcdonalds to ask for directions, so me and the other guys went in to hit the bathroom in full tux's, ive never felt so classy :heehee:

justmetoo
04-11-2015, 05:24 PM
I suppose I'm guilty of offering unasked for advice. And I'm certainly not the most qualified person to do so in practically in case here anyway. I try to watch it, but sometimes it still comes out. I do try to keep it respectful and lighthearted (although sometimes I'm sure my jokes fall flat). :/

TinaZ
04-11-2015, 05:52 PM

For the benefit of those who did not join their 9th-grade debate team, Jennifer is committing what’s called a “straw man fallacy.” She’s re-stating my conclusion to such an absurd proportion in an attempt to make my argument sound unsupportable.

In the unlikely event she actually believes my conclusion is every thread should be nothing but cheerful unicorn farts and butterfly tickles, I will re-state my opinion:

In threads asking for opinions on a topic (as I CLEARLY do in this one), giving an opinion on that topic is 100 percent appropriate.

In threads asking for fashion advice, giving fashion advice is 100 percent appropriate.

In threads where the original poster offers a breathless and gushing tale of achievement in this often-difficult journey, chiming in with a critique of her shoes not matching her belt is, in the politest of terms, callous, and ought to be avoided.

-------------

I realize this next bit likely will only muddy the water, but I have a theory that at the core of this sort of response is a level of self-hate that’s disguised as “helpful” advice.

As an example, imagine two Jewish people at a restaurant table. The first one is ultra sensitive to anti-Semitism (both real and imagined), while his dining partner is not. Imagine his dining partner dropping a bit of Yiddish into the conversation (Oy!) and the first one leaning in and whispering, “Do you hear any Gentiles using that word? Can you be less Jewish?”

Or imagine it’s two African Americans and one uses slang from Black culture. Imagine the other leaning in and asking the first to be less Black.

Or imagine it’s two gay guys and one asks the other to "butch it up a little" so as not to attract attention.

All are examples of a certain level of self-hate. But the problem is, acting less Jewish does not decrease anti-Semitism. Acting less Black does not reduce racism. Acting less gay does not reduce homophobia.

Sadly, acting less transgender does not reduce transphobia.

And IN MY INTERPRETATION, when someone gives unsolicited advice on how to be less cross-dressy, it’s the same as leaning over the table and saying, “Blend in! Stop attracting attention!” And I believe it’s because she doesn’t want to face up to a society that generally doesn’t feel comfortable around us, no matter how fashionable we are.

To me, it’s evidence of the same type of self-hate that’s going on in my examples.

mykell
04-11-2015, 05:53 PM
so one day im late for a sales meeting, scrambled around that morning and got on the road and met the team,
meeting was in a public place and we finished up and went about to start my day,
on the way to my first call a guy calls me aside and lets me know i have the size strip still adhered to my pants, "DUH", GEE thanks TEAM....

a little embarrassed, but heck i were dresses and heels right, so i was glad that i was told about the sticker, but i was upset that my "team" had not said anything.

i was however glad this person pulled me aside in a tactful manner and informed me of my moment of forgetfulness,

any topic can have a "FFP" type response but sometimes a respectful "PM" on the side out of the purview of the public will be greatly appreciated, i have been on both sides here....but i used a "PM" and felt better for doing it.....i dont think the member did though....but when i was on the other side i wished the member had done it that way, but they just let it rip....i felt like WTF.....i was sharing a tale of triumph at the time....but if you asked for opinions you cant wear your emotions on your sleeve....

this was an oldie but good post.....http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?218930-Going-to-rant-a-bit/page2&highlight=rant+isha

MissTee
04-11-2015, 09:28 PM
You make some good points, Tina, but I did notice what in your avatar looks like dribble of BBQ sauce on your dress. You really should wipe that off before you post. It clashes with your lipstick.

Hell on Heels
04-11-2015, 11:01 PM
Hell-O Tina,
Did someone mention Tequila? I love Mexican food!
So in order to be in the same frame of mind as you, and provide you with an appropriate response,
Im working on one of my B-day gifts this evening, I can only take a guess at what you might consider the proper amount.
Wait, before I forget, what's this about Grizzlies in the desert? I suppose I'm not quite at the proper amount yet.
Hang on a minuet ..... CHEERS! Let's see about them bears now.
Ok,Ok,Ok Unsolicited, or not, anyone that has been here, participating or just lurking, should be aware that if they post pics
of themselves here, there may be someone that might point out a shortcoming in their presentation, pose, lighting, etc.
I agree that there are a few situations where some tactfulness from the person offering the advice should be taken.
Hold ON..... Cheers! Damn bears!
Simply ripping into someone that you really don't know, could really hurt someone, but encouraging them to carry on with whatever mistakes they may be making doesn't help them either.
Sooooo ....... What I think i'm saying, at least thinking (besides, hmmm, I really like this Tequila) Please, if you post pics, and don't want to be picked apart, include that info in your post.
If your feel inclined to critique someone, use some tact, and offer what you think might be a better choice.
There shouldn't be a "you can't sit with us" crowd here, it should be more of a "come sit with us" situation.
Cheers to you all!
Much Love,
Kristyn

TinaZ
04-12-2015, 02:46 AM
You make some good points, Tina, but I did notice what in your avatar looks like dribble of BBQ sauce on your dress. You really should wipe that off before you post. It clashes with your lipstick.

Tina does love a succulent rib!

katie elouise
04-12-2015, 04:25 AM
Tina. I agree totally that unsolicited advice is more often than not unproductive, and depending on the level of vitriol can be damaging to the op if they are not pre paired for a surprise kicking .
I wonder how many people here have an opinion about issues we face ,but are to scared to post for fear off being picked apart just for offering their view point ?
Personally I tend to fall in the say something nice and up lifting , or" keep your gob shut" camp .Katie x.

Marcelle
04-12-2015, 05:53 AM
Hi Tina . . . immersed in home renos all this past week and stopped by check out the forum and "voila . . . a dead Kodiak :eek:.

I agree that unless a person asks for "honest feedback" it is polite to refrain from being overtly blunt especially when the advice was not solicited. I do get that some people will be well meaning and want to educate the person about "what is chic and what is not" . . . however . . . fashion is a personal choice and if someone thinks lime green jeggings with a neon orange tunic top and 6 inch pink stilettos is great . . . who are we to judge. I would ask those who provide such feedback this question. When you are out and about "en femme" and you notice a GG making a what you deem a fashion faux pas, do you go up and offer your unsolicited advice? Oh sweetie, real women don't wear a cocktail dress to mall. I am going to hedge my bets and say . . . no. Think of the forum as a that type of social interaction and allow the conventions of good manners guide your advice giving.

Yes, this is a support group and sometimes support means giving some a dose of reality (we all do it). However, when the OP is excited about a momentous first step on what we all know can be a very scary journey (first step into the Vanilla world) a blunt . . . "Yeah whatever but your shoes don't match your outfit" or "Real women don't dress up to go to the mall" . . . is not supportive but just arrogant based on your own thoughts about fashion. You can still dispense the same advice without being so blunt and perhaps a PM would be the best venue if you really want to play Cross Dressing Fashion Conscience (CDFC) but again civility should rule. Something along the lines of "Hey I just read your post about going out for the first time . . . WELL DONE! I do not want to come off as judgmental and feel free to ignore my comment but if your intent is to blend I might suggest you look into some more casual fashions which can still look very feminine but more suited for just running errands.

Hugs

Isha

pamela7
04-12-2015, 07:14 AM
if someone things lime green jeggings with a neon orange tunic top and 6 inch pink stilettos is great . . . who are we to judge.

I am that person!!!

Tonya Rose
04-12-2015, 06:16 PM
LMAO! Go tina! You are so right GF!

UNDERDRESSER
06-15-2015, 11:47 AM
I see your point, Tina, but I want to throw in a funny sidebar.

Tomorrow my spouse and I have a very tight schedule and a very dressy event in the evening. With no time for dinner we need a quick snack on the way to the event and I suggested Taco Bell (one of our favority local fast foods).

So your scenario really does play out sometimes in real life! And we're not even planning on drive-thru!

(Sure hope the FFG doesn't hit me for beng overdressed for Taco Bell!).

Hugs,
Persephone.Completely off topic from the thread, but you reminded me of this tale. Friend who sold, and got to bring home, seriously high end cars, took a Bentley GT home. This was greeted with many admiring looks, and the family decided to take it out for a little drive. As they hadn't had dinner, they came up with the idea of taking it through the McDonalds drive thru. Placed order, drove up to window to savour the jaw dropped face of the guy handing them their bags. "Thank you my good man" he said, and passed the bags to his wife while he paid, wife starts to hand bags to kids.. As visions of french fries smeared over expensive leather seats suddenly burst into his head, carefully crafted image goes out the window as he screams "Don't give them to the kids!"

Alex!
06-15-2015, 12:27 PM
Indeed, I see a lot of folks (all kinds, not just trans and crossdressers) that dress in odd ways, but that is just how it looks through my perceptual filter. One person's odd is another's idea of fashion sense or individual comfort. I never provide unsolicited fashion advice to anyone. Even if asked, I hesitate, especially in this community due to heightened sensitivities. It's best to just dress however you want, then learn from there :)

Alex

Samantha2015
06-15-2015, 01:39 PM
In the unlikely event she actually believes my conclusion is every thread should be nothing but cheerful unicorn farts and butterfly tickles, I will re-state my opinion:

In threads asking for opinions on a topic (as I CLEARLY do in this one), giving an opinion on that topic is 100 percent appropriate.

In threads asking for fashion advice, giving fashion advice is 100 percent appropriate.

In threads where the original poster offers a breathless and gushing tale of achievement in this often-difficult journey, chiming in with a critique of her shoes not matching her belt is, in the politest of terms, callous, and ought to be avoided.

I agree with Tina & I will try not to do that to others. But for me if I were creating a big fashion F#&% up I would appreciate a gentle or friendly
bit of advice no matter where or how I posted. But that is just me.
I never knew a unicorn fart was a compliment, they are strange creatures !! :flyingpig:
and one needs to be added to the list of animated smileys !!:heehee:

mechamoose
06-15-2015, 02:04 PM
I get your anger, and it is justified. I fear Momma bears more than Daddy bears, and this coming from a person who lives with a *beautiful* Grizzly girl.

Our goals are all relative, right? If I have never stepped out of the house in nail polish before, I'm going to be hyper-sensitive to people looking at my fingers. I'm looking for some sign of approval or rejection. Smiles mean the world, and frowns are devastating.

I'm aberrant to almost everyone's expectations of gender and I accept that. I'm not afraid to stare someone down who doesn't like what they see. Not all of us are in a position to be able to do that. We should be giving 'victory' messages to those of us doing what many of consider 'little' things because for them, that was SCARY STUFF. It took courage to even step out of the house that way.

They felt fear in doing that act, and even though WE may have gotten past that, please don't use that and an excuse to casualize that fear. I have had good friends get the living crap beat out of them for daring to appear in public "across gender norms" (sexuality/identity)... even in accepting places like (MA) Cambridge, Salem, Provincetown.

I go out on errands in girl clothes, sandals, rings, bracelets, painted fingers/toes, and a nice graying beard. Yes, I'm confusing, but I'm *not* afraid. I *won't* be. At age 50 and having been gender-queer since age 25, I have earned that.

That doesn't mean that others on this path have had that experience.

*Perspective*, honey. My youngest is petrified of Bees, and I don't have the slightest concern. Why? Because I know I don't have pollen. He doesn't have the experience to understand that.

Please do your best to try and remember what it was like when YOU took those first steps. Were YOU a Big Brass Bitch?

I doubt it.

<3

- MM

jjjjohanne
06-15-2015, 06:23 PM
Tina, when you rant, you should wear less eye shadow. Too much eye shadow and you will look manly.

aussie cd
06-15-2015, 06:40 PM
have to agree with you on this Tina.....and fwiw you always look great.....would have loved to have seen the famous Tina Z whilst you were down under! I'm in Brisbane ..I'm assuming you were in Melbourne (great place)

donnalee
06-16-2015, 08:12 AM
Interesting thread - someone being criticized for being critical of critics!