PDA

View Full Version : Mmpi

charlenesomeone
04-11-2015, 12:31 PM
Had my first visit with Psy.( yahoo) and she wants me to take the MMPI.
They said its a long test, has anyone taken it, and how long does it take.
Thanks
Char

Jamie M
04-11-2015, 12:37 PM
I've got to admit that I'd never heard of this one until you'd mentioned it. A quick google and wiki search seems to show it's a very widely used diagnostic tool so I'm sure someone will be able to shed some light. If not there's a lot of resources out there it seems. Not very helpful I know, sorry :( wishing you luck for your next visit with her

becky77
04-11-2015, 01:06 PM
Never heard of it sorry.

PretzelGirl
04-11-2015, 01:23 PM
Are you saying your Psy is a yahoo or Yahoo is your psy.? :heehee:

I just did a quick read on this. It is very detailed and probably would need a professional to really discuss its merits. But I am left with one question. Are you trying to get gender therapy? This looks very broad based and I hope you don't have a professional that is trying to explain away your feelings with some condition. Did she discuss the goal of completing the test? (okay, that was two questions)

kimdl93
04-11-2015, 01:28 PM
Yes, I have. It may have been changed since I took it in 1994, but it's still regarded as a highly reliable instrument. I found the insights into my personality very informative and it gave my psychologist some useful insights in planning my therapy for what was a very deep clinical depression.

I would expect it to take no more than an hour.

Rachel Mari
04-11-2015, 02:26 PM
I've taken the MMPI about a 1/2 dozen times. It's close to 700 questions and a mixture of yes or no and true or false answers. If you answer with your first impulse, don't over think it, it'll go quickly.

Some of the questions are pretty wierd but the whole idea of the test is to look for spikes in certain areas. Some questions repeat themselves but worded slightly different.
There's only one question out of all of those ('Do you want to be girl?' or wish you were a girl, something like that) that has anything to do with gender.

Good luck and have fun.

kimdl93
04-11-2015, 02:37 PM
I would like to mention that the intent of the questions are seldom obvious. They may seem odd, but the response are informative because they reflect the responses of many thousands of respondents during the design and validation of the tests. You'll be amazed at the insights gained from your answers to seemingly odd or innocuous questions.

Oh, and don't try to mislead in your responses...the test is designed in such a way that dishonest or deliberately misleading answered can be detected. Don't ask me how...but it does.

VanTG
04-11-2015, 03:02 PM
Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory, its commonly used within psychology. Don't me too alarmed about it. Don't try to fake anything just be as real as possible, the test is designed to catch people that are trying to be something they are not.

PaulaQ
04-11-2015, 03:31 PM
This was the test I took as a kid that convinced me that hiding my gender issues was a smart move. If the psychologist had just talked with me, and been sympathetic, I think my life would've been different - I'd have talked about my gender, and my feelings about it.

Don't try to fake anything just be as real as possible, the test is designed to catch people that are trying to be something they are not.

I don't know about that. I lied my ass off on this test. They decided I was perfectly normal when I took this. I was at the psychologists because my Mom asked the very reasonable question to 11 year old me - "why are there are these women's clothes hidden in your closet?"

After reading a ways into the test, I felt they were looking for something seriously wrong with me. I was pretty determined to not let them find out what that was, because back in 1974, in Texas, I really didn't care for the prospect of having them "fix" whatever they felt needed repair in my personality. I passed with flying colors - they thought I was fine, and commented on my intelligence.

I'd recommend honesty, nowadays though, since you are quite unlikely to wind up in reparative therapy.

However, given my past experience, I'd leave a psychologist who presented me with this test, and find a different provider.

You'll be amazed at the insights gained from your answers to seemingly odd or innocuous questions.

Oh I knew exactly what they were looking for. And I didn't want them to find it. When I watched the movie Blade Runner years later, and saw the scene with the Voight-Kampff test, I knew exactly how Leon felt as he took it.

I'm sure it's a valuable tool, but I remember how frightened I was 41 years go just as vividly as if it were yesterday.

I was just a kid...

Kaitlyn Michele
04-11-2015, 04:12 PM
found this on google..

We compared MMPI-2 (Butcher, Dahlstrom, Graham, Tellegen, & Kaemmer, 1989) profiles of 2 groups of adult biological men requesting sex reassignment surgery; 1 group was diagnosed with Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (3rd ed., rev. [DSM-III-R]; American Psychiatric Association, 1987) transsexualism and the other with gender identity disorder of adolescence and adulthood, nontranssexual type (GIDAANT). Although the mean profiles for the transsexual group did not demonstrate any psychopathology, the GIDAANT group showed moderate psychopathology. A cluster analysis indicated that 85% of the transsexual group showed low psychopathology and 47% of the GIDAANT group showed severe psychopathology. Neither the MMPI-2 results nor the DSM-III-R clinical evaluation support the conclusion of many authors that transsexualism is associated with severe personality disorder; rather, the data indicate that transsexualism and other gender identity disorders without persistent wish for sex reassignment differ significantly in degree of psychopathology.

in other words, one ain't got nuttin tado wit da udder....

Ineke Vashon
04-11-2015, 08:56 PM
I took the MMPI twice, way back in the seventies. At that time I was in a "masculine" profession, and very worried that some deep down desire would surface, threatening my career and social life in those more restricted times. Thus, on several questions "if you're a boy, do you wish you were a girl?" and couple variations thereof, I vigorously marked "no". Secretly, I really wanted to confess "yes". It was not brought up by the doctor.

Strange, that I vividly remember these questions from more than forty years ago, so they must have been important even then.

Ineke

Leah Lynn
04-13-2015, 12:46 PM
If I'm not mistaken, this is from 1934, and used the inmates in the Minnesota Penitentiary. I knew a couple shrinks in the navy that refused to use it based on the origin.

Leah