PDA

View Full Version : Female voice blunder

karenpayneoregon
04-19-2015, 10:27 AM
I stopped playing guitar for many years then a Guitar Center opened close by. Ended up purchasing a fair amount of guitars and equipment and became a regular in the store but stopped after about six months as I had everything I needed for my home studio.

One day I want in for a checkup for intonation on one of my guitars, and this is prior to going fulltime so I did my best to dress with no female clothing, walked into the store and was greeted by an employee who had helped me before. Can I help you ma’am? I was rather setback as I figured here I am in male clothing and being made as a female and not being recognized so I went with the flow. Was handed off to the guitar tech who was a replacement for the last one I had work on my guitars and when he was done handed him my credit card saying this was my husband’s card, no problem. Walked out of the store and it hit me like a brick wall, I was so into using my female voice that I forgot to go back to my male voice which is why they treated me as female. The year before I did not even have a passable female voice but had worked hard to achieve one that in the store I completely forgot there was one still.

On a side note I had a iPhone pitch application that was not intended for voice practicing but got the idea when researching how to get a female voice. The video said to work on a C# pitch yet could not hold it all day so I settled for just below a C# which only on rare occasions do I lose it which tends to be when I am tired and must think about it. It may sound strange but I will do meows out loud which nobody has ever really said anything to me about it.

Krisi
04-19-2015, 10:59 AM
That's better than the other way around; Presenting as a female and speaking as a male.

Dana44
04-19-2015, 11:09 AM
Karen, It's far better if you actually want it that way. If you were talking in a male voice they may have looked at you funny.

karenpayneoregon
04-19-2015, 05:02 PM
Now that I think of it keeping with the topic, my mother called me (before disclosing to her of my gender change) and I answered in my female voice, she responded in a tone with my name, is this my son, I paused, collected myself and spoke in my male voice. I can't be the only one who has done this.

Ann Louise
04-19-2015, 07:56 PM
You'll be holding that C# no problem after a while. I do a C# or a D, cold start first thing in the morning, without thinking of it. It sounds like you've already trained your brain, which I think is the hard part.

JohnH
04-19-2015, 08:18 PM
I am assuming that you mean C# [277 Hz] just above Middle C [262 Hz]. If I would decide to adopt a female voice I would have to do about G [196 Hz] below Middle C. My normal speaking pitch is low F touching the bass staff [98 Hz], and when I wake up in the middle of the night my voice pitch can be as deep as C below the bass staff [65 Hz].

I guess I would be safe with the G [196 Hz] since that is a pitch some mature women speak.