PDA

View Full Version : Costume ideas for Comic Con?

danam
04-21-2015, 07:21 PM
Lately I've been intrigued by Comic Con events. It looks like a great opportunity to get dressed and have fun in a safe environment, but I can't think of any good feminine costumes that would be semi-passable for a MTF crossdresser. Most are either too outlandish or just plain over-sexual. Any ideas for good costumes?
-Dana

cupcake
04-21-2015, 07:44 PM
Sorry no pictures, but I have gone to a con as Death from Gaiman's Sandman. Relatively easy to do. Black jeans, black boots, black tank top, black wig, ankh necklace and make-up. Plus she's a common character so I wasn't the only one there. Was the only one cross-playing that character though. Had a good time at the event and even met an artist from the series who got a chuckle out of my costume.

Adriana Moretti
04-21-2015, 08:11 PM
not quite sure passable and comic con go hand in hand LOL....Have fun with it, go big....i would love to go to one of those as TANK GIRL , or Eon Flux

AbigailJordan
04-21-2015, 08:20 PM
Well before you said "too over sexual" I was going to suggest a mord-sith outfit.. but skin tight red catsuit/leather doesn't really fit that bill!!!

As Adriana says.. forget the passable or even semi-passable part.. if it's comic-con nobody really expects you to look immaculate x x

Closeted Kat
04-21-2015, 08:35 PM
I went to the comic con held in cleveland earlier this year, I saw a number of people crossplaying, some passible and some not, it didn't matter people loved them all and wanted to take pictures with them. The one i really liked was one i had my picture with who was harley quinn, i think that one you can get away with as there are many versions of her costume some more revealing some more modest. If you want to be a little more revealing you could be poison from final fight who is a mtf character. I've been thinking of these things for myself but i'm quite non passable and closeted so i'll be starting off with outlandish like samus aron in the original power armor from metroid.

edit: Thought of another as i was browsing my pintest on cosplay. Velma or daphne from scooby doo.
-kat

Nadya
04-21-2015, 11:18 PM
I've been fascinated by the costumes at comic cons as well. Many people are very open to cross play and it would be a lot of fun. I bet if you chose something you really like regardless if you pass in it, you'll have a great time. Good luck!

Curiosity666
04-22-2015, 02:21 AM
I don't cosplay (or crossplay) but it is something I've considered. I've never really had the opportunity though. I do have quite a few friends that partake, and the once piece of advice they imparted in regard to choosing a character is don't look for what you think will be easy or suit you, but look for a character that you like. It will help you with putting effort and portraying the important aspects properly.

You may also find www.crossplay.net and www.cosplay.com invaluable :)

Beverley Sims
04-22-2015, 02:32 AM
Maybe all are t00 outlandish.
That is what most costumes are.

Over the top.

Sarah-RT
04-22-2015, 03:09 AM
Maybe you could go as a female version of a profession as opposed to a female character? Such as a female soldier or cop so you don't have to dress sexual, you could even just wear male clothing and then just do your make up and have a wig

Katey888
04-22-2015, 05:33 AM
Choose something that suits you, your look, hair colour, body shape, etc... Not too many MtFs are going to pull off Mystique without a lot of help and padding (or major surgery... :eek:), imho...

I quite like the look of Blonde Phantom... fabulous gowns... :daydreaming:

How about something slightly androgynous.... Tank-Girl? Lara Croft? (Except everyone does her...)

I know it's not a comic character, but I'd love to do Maggie Gyllenhal's character from 'Secretary'...

Perhaps a bit hard on the knees for an entire convention though... ;)

Katey x

Kim_Bitzflick
04-22-2015, 05:44 AM
How about a female wookie or a female crewman from the original star trek (cute short dress with tights)?

Kiva
04-22-2015, 04:54 PM
I've been thinking about the classic Bat Girl myself.0

docrobbysherry
04-22-2015, 06:59 PM
Too easy, Danam. Go with a "classic". Batgirl, Superwoman, Wonderwoman, etc.

You'll fit rite in and be accepted by everyone there!

DaniChan
04-23-2015, 12:33 AM
I would love to crossplay! A harley quinn costume sounds like great fun :D but it doesn't look easy to pull

Chiana
04-23-2015, 03:29 PM
I know who I would go as. Hint, hint. See my user name and photo.

JasmeVee
04-23-2015, 03:47 PM
Selene from underworld (oh if only i could go lol)

DaniChan
04-23-2015, 11:31 PM
How about Chun-Li from street fighter ?

MonctonGirl
04-24-2015, 02:12 AM
Check out this list of female superheros

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_superheroines

Maria Blackwood
04-24-2015, 11:07 AM
I have some ideas put together for a Malificent outfit. The idea would be to go to a local transformation boutique and let them handle the makeup before heading to the con.

danam
04-25-2015, 06:55 AM
Thanks for the great ideas! I think Maleficent would be good, although a lot of work! I like the idea of Daphne or Thelma from Scooby Doo, but I would need the other characters around for maximum effect. The Star Trek idea is nice, although I'd prefer a slightly longer skirt! :)

LucyNewport
04-25-2015, 07:24 AM
I like the idea of going as a femme video game character myself. There are many good gals to choose from. Some less common ones that would really rock are Claire Redfield (circa Resident Evil 2) Estelle from Trails in the Sky, or if you have *major* body confidence, Nei from Phantasy Star.

Whatever you go with, have a blast! ComicCon is a very supportive environment and loads of fun. Post pix!

Lu

Costume
04-27-2015, 10:07 AM
When I've been to Cosplay events, I've always asking the Cinderellas and Belles to pose for me - and naturally I'm imagining being dressed as them. And last year, I was lucky enough to meet a girl dressed as Morticia Addams. That would be tempting, though it would probably be quite hard to walk around in a hobble dress all day!

Pat
04-27-2015, 12:07 PM
I think I'd have a hard time resisting being (one of the many) Deadpool-in-a-dress cosplayers. ;)

shawnsheila
04-27-2015, 06:32 PM
I actually had a booth at one for my business and crossplayed Catwoman

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11D38sW_5Q0jwg5n3i3qZVkLZro-kMC3OFQ/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/11D38sW_5Q0jwg5n3i3qZVkLZro-kMC3OFQ/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IGmL0P7DwabguAf69AFUTlcwldyZsGPSAw/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IGmL0P7DwabguAf69AFUTlcwldyZsGPSAw/view?usp=sharing

I had a ton of people come up to me for pics and even had the official event photographer have me to cat poses for the camera. I say DO IT!!!!! It was a blast

SherylynJade
05-03-2015, 09:03 PM
Some I've considered:
Lady Sif (from Thor)
Batgirl (current being drawn by Babs Tarr)
Captain Marvel (current)
Sinestro Corp member
Janine Melnitz (from Ghostbusters)
or even the Scarlet Witch from the new Avengers movie.

stacycoral
05-03-2015, 09:22 PM
How about from Agents of Shield agent May or Skye.

sometimes_miss
05-04-2015, 07:34 AM
You guys are gonna love this idea: 245064 How could anyone forget Xena? With my long wig, I could wear that outfit. Not as well as Lucy Lawless, but hey, who could.

justmetoo
05-04-2015, 07:13 PM
Not as well as Lucy Lawless, but hey, who could.
Brendan Fraser? (I seem to recall he did a skit as Xena on Saturday Night Live back in the day) :)