PDA

View Full Version : Quite a travel day...

Claire Cook
04-26-2015, 06:38 AM
It’s been awhile since I’ve posted anything – been a busy month – but I wanted to relate this experience. It’s long but I think instructive.

I’ve had to make several trips to DC, one on business, one not. On one flight home last week I decided it was time to fly pretty again. Now that I have TSA pre-check and some perks with Delta, I thought things would be OK, but I still gave myself an extra 30 minutes.. At least I don’t have to deal with the body scanner. So I’m in the pre-check line and come up to the TSA desk. The agent – a young guy, perhaps a trainee—looks at my passport, then looks at me.

“This doesn’t look like you.” So I thought I’d be humorous and replied “Yes, that’s me. My hair was shorter then.” (Probably a mistake.) “I don’t know about this.” There is a line behind me, so I say “Look, I’m transgendered. Would you like me to remove my wig?” (I’m sure the people behind me heard this.) “I have to get my super.” Great, I’m probably holding people up. I turn to the lady behind me and say ”Gee, I’m sorry about this.” “Oh, don’t worry about that.” So the agent comes back with his super. Looks at my passport, at me, then asks “Do you have any ID of yourself like this?” “No, I’m sorry, I don’t.” He looks at me again. “I’m checking your nose and chin and other facial features. OK, you can go.” As I go through the X-ray part I turn to the lady behind me and say “I guess I should take that as a compliment.” With a very nice smile she said “Yes, you should!”

Looking back on this, several things occur to me. The first was that TSA agents – at least the experienced ones – are aware of us and do have some training in this regard. The fact that the super looked at facial features that might indicate gender (my Adam’s apple is not obvious) indicated that. The second thing was the need for two ID’s. I have no intention of transitioning or changing my legal name. So should I try to get an ID with me en femme but with my legal name? As far as airport security goes, non-legal names are a no-no. Will this stop me from flying in my comfy clothes? Not unless TSA is getting more uptight about this!

The rest of the flight was just what I expected, other than a too-frequent need to use the ladies’ room. (Nerves or too much coffee?) I had nice conversations with the gentlemen sitting next to me on both flights. The last one said “Ma’am, I really did enjoy talking with you. :battingeyelashes:

Well, not quite done yet. I get back to the house .. and promptly had a (excuse the phrase) blonde moment. I forgot the code to turn off the security alarm! (Duh-h-h). I call up Sue and she gives it to me – but I misunderstood and entered the wrong code and everything goes off! :eek::eek: I finally get it right and the alarm shuts down. Whew. So I go upstairs and get out my warm DC clothes and put on a sleeveless top and capris (still with wig and makeup). Then I hear voices outside, and there’s a cop car out front. Oh s__t, they must have responded to the alarm. So I go to the door and there is a male and female officer, so I ask “Can I help you?” “We’re responding to a security alarm alert. Do you have any ID?” I flash back to this AM at the airport and stutter “I’m sorry, I don’t”. “Do you live here?” “Yes.” “What kind of car is in the garage?” “A red BMW.” They look at me and the guy says “OK.”. But five minutes later the car is still out front. So I call out to them “I do have an ID. Do you want to see it?” “Please.” So here I am, in cute top and capris, and I go out to the car with my driver’s license. (Meanwhile, my neighbor Frank – who may or may not know about me – is mowing his lawn…) The female officer is outside, the male officer is inside with his computer. Yes, the names match. But then he says “There is something I don’t understand.” (Uh-oh, here it comes.) “We have full information about your wife in the computer, but only your name and address shows up in it. I don’t know about this.” Then: “Did you ever have a security clearance?” Oh. “Several years ago I worked for the feds for several years and did have a minimum security clearance.” He: “That’s probably what happened. They contact us and remove information like that from computers for security reasons.” Whew! So I thanked them sincerely for looking out for us and wished them a good day. “And you as well.” Then the female officer said “That’s a really pretty ring you’re wearing.” A big blush and a big “Thank you!” Quite a day.

Sorry about the length of this but I had to get this out. A couple of things here. First, the two officers – who were very polite and professional – took my dressing in stride. Then yesterday I was out doing some yard work in front (en drab) and the two of them drove by – and they both waved! I take all of what happened last week as an affirmation of me -- and of how people are becoming if not accepting, at least tolerant of us. Definitely positive reinforcement. :battingeyelashes:

Bria
04-26-2015, 09:55 AM
Quite a story, there are a couple of lessons there! Thanks for sharing.

Hugs, Bria

Teresa
04-26-2015, 10:01 AM
Claire,
Thanks for the story , a great read !
I'm wondering if you could problems with the police officers if they see you in drab, they might think you're an intruder ! You'll have to prove your identity all over again !!

Allisa
04-26-2015, 10:49 AM
WOW,I think I would have fainted into the cops, no just kidding. Yes it seems we are becoming more accepted by the authority types and tolerated by others, it's been a long time coming and still not there yet but there's hope for the future. Your handling of the TSA with humor is the best way to show were doing nothing wrong and defusing a potential situation. Great story, gave me a chuckle even though at your expense.

jjjjohanne
04-26-2015, 02:07 PM
I'm impressed with how you stayed enfemme during the cops episode. I think I would have changed and gone back outside with my ID. You have some bravery about you!

Marcelle
04-26-2015, 02:45 PM
Hey Claire . . . who would of thought a simple flight would have been so harrowing. You weathered it well and have a great story to tell . . . thanks for sharing.

Hugs

Isha

Persephone
04-26-2015, 03:40 PM
You certainly handled it all very well!

[QUOTE=Claire Cook;3737156]Yes, the names match. But then he says “There is something I don’t understand.” (Uh-oh, here it comes.) “We have full information about your wife in the computer, but only your name and address shows up in it. I don’t know about this.” Then: “Did you ever have a security clearance?” Oh. “Several years ago I worked for the feds for several years and did have a minimum security clearance.” He: “That’s probably what happened. They contact us and remove information like that from computers for security reasons.”[QUOTE]

Very interesting! Now I'm wondering what's in my info.

Hugs,
Persephone.

Erika Lyne
04-26-2015, 08:19 PM
Wow Claire,

This was a wonderful story, not too long either. I like all the details and the prologue that says it is a learning tool makes the length of it just right.

Great story, learned a lot.

-E

ChristinaK
04-27-2015, 01:33 AM
Thank you so much. A brave and pioneering woman. You give me strength.

Claire Cook
04-27-2015, 05:53 AM
Dear all,

Thank you for all of your supportive replies -- and I'm glad you had as much fun reading this as I did writing it. As I said at the close, I came out of this more comfortable with myself than I have ever been. It is a constant learning and growing experience that we are in, isn't it?

I still wonder about carrying dual ID's with my male name as presenting male and female: does anyone do this?

A few specific responses:

I'm wondering if you could problems with the police officers if they see you in drab, they might think you're an intruder ! You'll have to prove your identity all over again !!

Teresa, now that they know me "both ways", I certainly hope not! :battingeyelashes:

I'm impressed with how you stayed enfemme during the cops episode. I think I would have changed and gone back outside with my ID. You have some bravery about you!

Bravery or stupidity, I don't know which! Maybe I was so lost in the Pink Fog that it didn't matter. (Either that or it was just too much hassle to get rid of the makeup!) Actually, I felt totally natural going to the door and talking with them.

Thank you so much. A brave and pioneering woman. You give me strength.

Christina, how very kind of you to say this, and I do hope my experiences will help others. But there are others here who are much more pioneering than I, and I really have to thank them. (As do we all.)

And finally in that vein, Isha and Barb, coming from you two who have given so much support and encouragement to the rest of us, special thanks to you both! :hugs:

Claire

Jennifer-GWN
04-27-2015, 07:01 AM
Claire;

What a priceless story. You had quite a day. As progress through my transition the ID thing is starting to get to a point where I'm increasingly bothered by it.

Cheers... Jennifer

JennyTV
04-27-2015, 08:52 AM
A thought about the ID thing. Obviously, you would always want your ID to have your legal name, Fake name on an ID would be illegal where presenting as a woman is not. But in this "enlightened" age, maybe the DMV has considered this. Have you thought of calling them up and just explaining your situation to see if it is possible to have two different IDs with the same information but different photos? It can't hurt to ask.

Jen

Kristy 56
04-28-2015, 02:02 PM
What a story Claire,and you stayed as cool as a cucumber. I give you a lot of credit doing the whole airport routine dressed.

Beverley Sims
04-30-2015, 02:40 PM
Claire,
Good for you, I have never put myself so much in front of others to have a problem.
I have enough trouble meeting the TSA in male mode.
My cameras batteries and assorted adaptor leads keeps them busy.

Sarah Doepner
04-30-2015, 03:04 PM
Claire,

You did well under pressure that probably would have broken my spirit, but then I'm a pretty fragile little thing ;-) . The one part of your story that hasn't come to an end yet is your neighbor who is now probably aware of your gender options. Let us know how that one works out, if it ever does. In the meantime, you've earned a pedicure.

abby054
05-01-2015, 12:42 AM
A thought about the ID thing. Obviously, you would always want your ID to have your legal name, Fake name on an ID would be illegal where presenting as a woman is not. But in this "enlightened" age, maybe the DMV has considered this. Have you thought of calling them up and just explaining your situation to see if it is possible to have two different IDs with the same information but different photos? It can't hurt to ask.

Jen

Look up the DMV website for your state. They all answer this question. For example, it is fine in Texas, but illegal in Idaho.

Claire Cook
05-01-2015, 05:24 AM
Hi Abby,

In Florida you used to be able to get a picture ID in addition to your driver's license, but that changed in 2010 when they went to the "Real ID" system. You can have one or the other but not both.

Sarah, Frank hasn't mentioned it. I'll have him over for a beer and I guess I'll own up.

Claire