PDA

View Full Version : Came out to my sister

Sarah-RT
05-04-2015, 02:02 PM
Hey all!

Well.. I came out to my sister there an hour ago and just thought I would share. I have always wanted to tell her and finally had my own acceptance level to tell her. I sent her a text message yesterday asking if I could talk about something with her, she didnt get back to me for an hour or two later so I had lost the courage I had built up expecting to get straight into a conversation. She then rang me which shook me since I was hoping to discuss by text and then if a face to face conversation happened I would be more comfortable about it so I just asked if she was out shopping and I had wanted her to check if a new film was on sale yet. Later that evening I sent her another message saying that I had actually wanted to talk about something but I wasnt prepared for a phone call and I would talk with her the next day(today)

She called up to collect her daughter from our house since my mom was babysitting for her, came into my room and was like ''whats up?''
I spent the whole afternoon dreading it, butterflies in my stomach, the works. I finally managed to croak out that I was transgender. I explained that there were different forms of it( spectrum) what I was like specifically and answered her questions, one of which it seems everyone asks: ''are you attracted to men or women?''

So pretty much everything was explained and she said that it didnt bother her in the slightest, and in a joking way she said '' I dont care what you get up to in your own time and im sure you dont care what I do either'' she gave me a hug when I told her how nervous I had been and she said that no one should have to live with such fear and that she was glad I had told her. I said to her that im sure she has heard all about bruce jenner and that I didnt think that was the route I would end up going down or how much of my life I would be the other side of myself and she said whatever happens happens and that it made no difference.

We talked about how I had told our mom about 6 or 7 years ago and how that experience went and we both agreed that maybe she didnt respond as we would have expected her to due to a lack of understanding on her behalf and that since I was unsure of myself at the time and couldnt explain it very well that she thought I might have been in a phase.

So after an afternoon of fear and trepidation I am now far more relieved, confident in myself and more willing to have a re-talk with my mom since im still stuck at home while im studying for my degree.

Sarah x

LucyNewport
05-04-2015, 02:31 PM
Congratulations, Sarah! Its a brave thing to come out and never a step taken lightly. It sounds like your sister is super cool, you lucky gal, you!

reb.femme
05-04-2015, 04:16 PM
Fantastic news Sarah. It's always great to have someone to confide in. It is a big step too, one I can't make with my siblings, but you'll feel so much stronger with a supportive sister for the upcoming discussion with your mum. Congrats and all that on your reveal and hope you go from strength to strength (if that's the right phrase) and to the future open lifestyle that awaits you.

Rebecca

Pat
05-04-2015, 05:00 PM
Awesome! Getting that fear outside yourself is the greatest thing in the world. Congratulations! I'm glad your sister reacted well and sorry to read that your Mom apparently didn't. But the next best thing to instant acceptance is acceptance after the other person has a chance to work it out, so perhaps there's that in store.

wanagione
05-04-2015, 06:23 PM
I'm very glad that it went well for you!!

kimdl93
05-04-2015, 07:09 PM
That was a very good, gracious and supportive expression from your sis. I hope the next conversation with your mom goes better then the one six years ago.

Adriana Moretti
05-04-2015, 07:16 PM
good for you....i told my sister too a while ago.....it went like this ...

SISTER ....." I have something to tell you ...I'm Lesbian "

ME...."Thats cool...I like To wear a dress"

We have a very unique family. xoxo

Adelaide
05-04-2015, 07:59 PM
That's great! Wish I could do that with my sister....

justmetoo
05-04-2015, 08:16 PM
That's great, Sarah! It's wonderful feeling, isn't it, to be open with someone and know they support you? And the best thing is it seems to be a more and more common story. :)

MissTee
05-04-2015, 11:06 PM
Way to go, Sarah! I'm happy it turned out well for you.

bridget thronton
05-05-2015, 03:01 AM
Great sister

Amymonroe
05-05-2015, 06:56 AM
I told my step sister about 9 years ago and she took it great. we talked about how to tell the rest of the family and we decided that it would not be a good idea. congrats on your coming out.

Amy

SandraB
05-05-2015, 07:13 AM
Congratulations Sarah. Very brave and glad it worked out well. You have a great sister. All the best for the re-talk with your mom.

CostaRicaRachel
05-05-2015, 07:38 AM
I'm glad you shared that with us. I love reading about other's experiences. I'm very happy it
went well. Your sister seems like a wonderful, accepting person. I hope your re-talk with
your mom works out as well.

Sharon B.
05-05-2015, 09:25 AM
If I lived closer to my sister I would like to tell her. At one time we were close until I met my ex-wife then it went down hill. Ex-wife did call them up and told them the reason for our divorce was that I would dress up as a woman, there were other reasons but that was the excuse she used. I would like to come out to her but seeing we live about a hundred miles apart and I live in the country where she lives in the city I don't see a reason for coming out to her at this time.

Michelle 78
05-05-2015, 01:11 PM
Great news Sarah:) really pleased it went so well for you, good luck with your mother next!

Beverley Sims
05-05-2015, 02:06 PM
A face to face meeting with your sister was definitely the best way.
I hope it helps to keep you close with each other.

Sarah-RT
05-06-2015, 05:52 PM
Hey everyone, thanks for all the kind messages! she certainly seems the good kind alright, as kids we would often fight as kids do but ive always thought highly of her and even more so now.

I like to think that the efforts of those who came before me helped pave the way for the more accepting society im growing up in and that this may help others to come in the future which its all about

Sarah x

Kristy 56
05-06-2015, 06:06 PM
Congratulations Sarah, and happy for you that things went well with your sister. Good luck with your mother. :)

BLUE ORCHID
05-06-2015, 08:38 PM
Hi Sarah, It's always wonderful to read a great thread like this.:daydreaming:

Nadya
05-06-2015, 11:11 PM
Yay! Congratulations! I'm happy your sister was so accepting. Maybe your mom will come around too. :)

DaniChan
05-06-2015, 11:18 PM
Big step, congratulations Sarah! It's great to hear it went well

nikinylons
05-07-2015, 03:56 AM
Congrats my dear! Your family can be your biggest supporters.

Marcelle
05-07-2015, 03:57 AM
Hi Sarah,

Congrats . . . I know how nice it feels when you tell someone and they give you the love and support you need.

Hugs

Isha

nathaliedove
06-10-2015, 01:07 PM
Congrats Sarah!

Melissa_59
06-10-2015, 02:28 PM
I'm happy for you. I cannot tell my sister, she's a fundy and ... it would not go well. I've heard her talk about LGBT people and from that it's an easy drive to her opinion on crossdressers.

~Melissa

cheryl reeves
06-10-2015, 03:09 PM
when i came out to my family,only my mom took it in stride,my siblings not to well..but like i tell them i have to live my own life..

LauraWeb
06-10-2015, 07:12 PM
Wonderful story! I am so happy it went well for you.

I would really like to tell my sister. I just don't know how she would react. She has has a lot of LGBT friends, but I don't think any T. Of course, if I tell her, I would worry that the whole family would find out. :)

Congratulations Sarah

Sincerely,
Laura

Tracii G
06-10-2015, 08:33 PM
So very happy for you Sarah.

Stephanie_83
06-10-2015, 11:01 PM
That's awesome, Sarah, congrats! Before I came out to my girlfriend, I'd built it up in my head tremendously - so of course it was a huge relief when she took it well. I can only imagine that coming out to family members must be even more (at least potentially) nerve-wracking! I'm so happy for you - may everyone else you come out to react the same way :-)

countrygirl
07-05-2015, 03:49 PM
Congratulations Sarah. I was also very nervous when I came out.