PDA

View Full Version : I came out to my sister...what took me so long?

aprilgirl
05-11-2015, 02:10 PM
While I have a healthy relationship with all my siblings, the bond I’ve shared with my oldest sister is the strongest. We are very much alike when it comes to personalities, sensitive nature, and looks, having both favored our father. We are six years apart in age, which when growing up as kids, felt like light years apart to me. Nevertheless, she made time for me, even taking the training wheels off my bike when I was eight (yeah, late bloomer here) and taught me how to ride. I’ve been peddling ever since, yet occasionally in circles. Last week was one of those weeks.

My wife and I had previously theorized that she would be a person to tell, yet I didn’t want to burden her or potentially embarrass myself. My sister has known for many years that I was hiding something, but some time ago she gave up wondering. She came to the conclusion that there wasn’t anything I could be keeping to myself that would make her think less of me, or love me less. I knew deep down that was the case. While I don’t differentiate between my perceived masculine and feminine sides, as I'm one in the same, I had hid an essential part of who I am from her for far too long.

She was sorry that I felt the need for secrecy from most everyone and wished I had told her long ago. She was happy that I had found acceptance from my wife, which gave her a whole new appreciation of someone she adored the first time they met. Somewhere in the midst of telling her about Kim, she decisively stated she wanted to meet Kim next time she visited and go out. We are fortunate to see each other only once a year, as life obligations and a thousand miles of land separate us, but I’ve never felt closer.

I should’ve known better and trust the one that took my training wheels off 45 years ago. Kim

Melissa in SE Tn
05-11-2015, 03:08 PM
Kim, great story with a greater story in the making. How super it must be to be yourself with family members with them still loving & accepting of you. Much peace, mel

Kristy 56
05-11-2015, 03:12 PM
Better late then never. You certainly have a very understanding family. Happy for you :)

Rachelakld
05-11-2015, 04:36 PM
Very much the same as between me and my only sister, who is 4 years older than me (she lives 3,000km away).
her words " this is what makes you the wonderful person you are", I cried.
She told her family, they all sent loving emails

TrishaTX
05-11-2015, 04:47 PM
great story....and good for you

reb.femme
05-11-2015, 04:59 PM
...I should’ve known better and trust the one that took my training wheels off 45 years ago. Kim

Beautifully told and a lovely sign off Kim, made me cry.

The one of my two sisters that I could have told, died just over three years ago, shortly before I came out to my wife.

Rebecca

LexiMay
05-11-2015, 06:11 PM
It's beautiful how your sister was so accepting, your story is awesome.

kimdl93
05-11-2015, 09:14 PM
That's wonderful in so many respects. I know from my own experience that family members can often surprise us and leave one wondering why the secret was kept so hidden for so long. Alas, not everyone has the same results, but I do think your sisters response was the more common one.

Megan b
05-12-2015, 09:48 AM
Hey Kim, that's a great story. I love it when a plan comes together.

Beverley Sims
05-12-2015, 12:37 PM
Sometimes it takes a long time to tell,now you have to make up for lost time.

Ido hope things will be better for you.

justmetoo
05-18-2015, 08:55 PM
You did it when you were ready. Her response is wonderful. Your little story made me a little misty eyed.

Marcelle
05-19-2015, 05:29 AM
Hi April,

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful event with us. It is always hard to tell others but so satisfying when support is given.

Hugs

Isha

DAVIDA
05-19-2015, 05:41 AM
Hi Kim!:)
I can relate to telling siblings while you have the chance. Most will understand and love you anyway.:thumbsup:
My two sisters have known for years and years. They didn't have any problem with knowing and still don't.:)
My brother was a little different for me. I did finally tell him the last time I saw him. He was a little hurt that I didn't think that I could confide in him earlier.
He passed away before I got to see him again.:sad:
I am just glad that he knew who his little brother was. That will be three years ago that he die on the 28th of this month.
I said all of this just to get the point across that you may not have the time to tell a loved one later.:straightface:
I am glad that things turned out good for you.:)

OK, I will go cry for a while now.:sad:

Pat
05-19-2015, 07:46 AM
Awww. Nice story, thanks for sharing.

Giselle(Oshawa)
05-19-2015, 08:34 AM
great story Kim please give your wife and sister a big hug for me

joanna4
05-19-2015, 06:01 PM
That is beautiful. She sounds like a genuinely good person, a beautiful heart. How she felt sorry for your secrecy and her happiness to your wife's acceptance. There are people who we will love for eternity.