PDA

View Full Version : Workplace Accomodation Granted

Marcelle
05-27-2015, 05:01 PM
I found out today that the chain of command has approved workplace accommodation commencing with my new posting on 17 Jul. As such, I will be able to present female at work on days when civilian dress is authorized and the door has been left open to order female uniforms should I wish to present female on uniform days. I go tomorrow to obtain an "altered state of dress ID" which is essentially a reprint of my current ID/Building Pass but with me as female.

Hugs

Isha

Lorileah
05-27-2015, 05:02 PM
gotta love Canada

KimBarely
05-27-2015, 05:05 PM
Great for you, well done!!!

The world is changing and you're in the vanguard.

chris63
05-27-2015, 05:13 PM
Way to go!

mykell
05-27-2015, 05:16 PM
congratulations Isha,
a well deserved outcome from the dedication and hard work and effort you put into the process, enjoy your civilian days.....cant wait to see a women in uniform....

Melissa in SE Tn
05-27-2015, 05:21 PM
You should be incredibly proud of yourself . What a journey Isha has traveled ... And exciting for her future.

Heidi Stevens
05-27-2015, 05:44 PM
Now that's a fight worth winning! Way to go Isha, I'm so glad for you. Now you need to figure out what that first outfit will be next month!!

S. Lisa Smith
05-27-2015, 05:47 PM
Wonderful news!!!!

Robin777
05-27-2015, 05:48 PM
Congratulations! I just wish the US would catch up with Canada and the rest of the world. the reason I say this,Today I seen a Facebook post on a group from my hometown making fun of Bruce Jenner and another post criticizing a local amusement park for having a day for the LBGT community. At least on that post the poster got a good tongue lashing.

MsVal
05-27-2015, 05:52 PM
You have worked very hard toward this, and have placed your reputation and career on the line. Every affected member of the Canadian military will now benefit from the work you have done. They may never know your name, nor you, theirs, but all will be thankful.

Best wishes
MsVal

Katey888
05-27-2015, 05:53 PM
OMG!!! :cheer:

That is a big step indeed... trusting that your new posting isn't just you to a one (wo)man listening post north of the Arctic Circle, of course.. ;)

It will be interesting to see how long this takes for everyone to accept it as 'normal' and not to be confused with who the new girl is.

BTW - sorry if you've covered this already, and while I know you're probably more informal than us Tommies, IF you're in female uniform, will it be obligatory that you're ma'amed rather than sirred? :thinking: That should keep everyone on their toes...

Well done Isha-who's-nobody's-TG-pin-up-girl-not-ever-ever-not-in-a-million-years-no-sirree-never... :D

Seriously, well done! :bh:

Katey x

Donnagirl
05-27-2015, 06:11 PM
Isha,
Has anyone else been in touch to join you? I'm interested in how many start to come out of the closet!!! I'm trying to get a meeting of the four others here in my organisation who identify as transgendered to some degree so far with only limited success...
Way to go...

Hugs,
Donna

Teresa
05-27-2015, 06:27 PM
Isha,
That's really great news you've taken a chance pushing for this new ruling and I'm so pleased it's paid off !

The new uniform is going to look great especially when you have to wear medals, I bet you'd never thought your gongs would be resting on your boobs !

UK tv presented a feature on the first TS officer in the British Army about a week ago , which surprised me ! On the Friday paraded as a man and the Monday became a Ma'am and carried on the same job !

kimdl93
05-27-2015, 06:33 PM
That's remarkable, Isha. As a former member of the U.S. Army, I salute you and the contribution you are making for all of us. And, as a former nearby neighbor, I want to echo Lori's statement. You really do have to live Canada!

Jamie Lynn
05-27-2015, 08:13 PM
You've got an echo here, Isha! Congratulations!!

justmetoo
05-27-2015, 08:22 PM
Congratulations! Of course, you put in the work, above and beyond, as they say, to get there! So it's well-deserved.

Julie Denier
05-27-2015, 08:22 PM
Well done! Opening doors for everyone ;)

Adelaide
05-27-2015, 08:25 PM
Wow, this is great! All the efforts are finally paying off. Fantastic!

Kate Simmons
05-27-2015, 09:11 PM
Wow, That's fantastic Isha. Happy for you. :battingeyelashes::)

Bridget Ann Gilbert
05-27-2015, 09:16 PM
Congrats Isha! Now, will you be posting a picture of you in your first day outfit?

Michellegryl
05-27-2015, 09:17 PM
Isha you are truly an inspiration to us all. your hard work and strength of character in forging this new ground is nothing short of incredible!
I am soo happy for you, and all those who will also share the benefits of your efforts.

Huge HUG
Michelle:hugs::cheer:

CynthiaD
05-27-2015, 09:22 PM
Congratulations!

Gretchen_To_Be
05-27-2015, 09:29 PM
Hi Isha

That's wonderful to hear. I have to share that in the early 90's I attended the Defense Language Institute in Monterey, CA. The dress code was "Class B or higher" 4 of 5 days, with Fridays being fatigues. "Class B" meant the dress trousers and shirt for men, and for women, the skirt or trousers. Most women service members opted for the skirt. Most were young, and were on the edge of acceptable heel height...and it was obvious that many had altered the uniform skirts to give the more pencil, fitted appearance. All wore sheer nude pantyhose, or course. This was heady stuff for a young Soldier with strong CD desires--I would gaze longingly at them, wishing to trade places. It's thrilling to hear you may be able to do just what I dreamed about doing back then.

All the best to you. If you go for it, I can't wait to see how you look! Thanks for your military service, and your tremendous bravery.

Shibumi

Kevyn53
05-27-2015, 09:31 PM
I was afraid with all the harassment crap being reported about the military that this might have been a problem for you. IT's great that they "get" you.

Pat
05-27-2015, 09:35 PM
Yes! Congratulations! And two ID badges... there must be some kind of deviltry you can get into with that...

Nadine Spirit
05-27-2015, 10:07 PM
Congrats Isha! Good work!

LeslieSD
05-27-2015, 10:34 PM
Wonderful news! I felt happy for you. Please keep us posted on how it goes.

DianeDeBris
05-27-2015, 11:39 PM
Hi Isha - it's certainly true that Canada continues to distinguish herself with integrity, fairness and common sense, and deserves respect for all of that. But in all societies there are those who enable others to achieve their own best selves and be more than they thought they could ever be. And this, I think it's clear, is your own personal achievement and contribution. If you were less of a solid troop, if you were not already known to the chain of command as steady, dependable, and precisely the kind of officer they need and respect, it would have been just that much easier for Command to blow the issue off. Had the person making these extraordinary requests been "squirrelly" instead of top-rate, the
outcome could easily entirely different. So, in my book, this wonderful breakthrough is overwhelmingly a response to you, and your character; kudos to your nation, of course, but most of all one massive, standing-ovation from all of us (and all like us) to you - our dear Isha!

bridget thronton
05-28-2015, 02:18 AM
Glad to hear your good news

Persephone
05-28-2015, 02:34 AM
So happy for you, Isha! And you have made a real contribution to our human rights.

Please consider this as a virtual 21-gun salute!

Hugs,
Persephone.

Michelle 78
05-28-2015, 04:51 AM
Good for you Isha, great news.

StephanieCLT
05-28-2015, 07:45 AM
Congratulations, Isha! I know how big of a deal this is, and I'm so happy for you. That is awesome! Well done!!!

Claire Cook
05-28-2015, 09:52 AM
Hi Isha,

What a simply remarkable story. We have certainly had other stories (both here and in the TS Forum) about transitioning in the workplace, but to have "acceptance" with both male and female presentations is altogether special -- particularly considering the CAF. I can't help thinking that a good part of this is your wonderful ability to deal with interpersonal issues. We have seen so much of that in your posts here, and your service colleagues must be well aware of that. Yes, we all look forward to hearing how this develops.

A big THANK YOU!!

Warm hugs,

Claire

ShayLeigh Dominique
05-28-2015, 10:06 AM
Isha,

As an active duty individual myself let me say, thank you... Though we are in service to two different countries, you are still an inspiration. I don't think I have the honor, courage, or commitment to even attempt what you have proposed to do; at this point, depending on "things" I may have to resolve myself to leaving service entirely "due to convenience of the government" without even a "have a nice day" or "golden parachute". And I can be ok with that. I hope when or if that day comes, I have the moral fiber and the strength of character to at least make a statement for those TG/TS individuals following me.

Again, thank you.

- Shay

Vala
05-28-2015, 11:14 AM
O that's wonderful news. Congratulations!

Amy Fakley
05-28-2015, 11:17 AM
WOW!
Congrats, Isha! What a huge, wonderful, beautiful step!
:-)

pamela7
05-28-2015, 11:38 AM
congratulations Isha, there are no superlatives worthy of your achievement. Well done, and thank you.

Athena_
05-28-2015, 03:18 PM
Isha the Pathfinder! I hope this catches on south of the border!

Bria
05-28-2015, 06:22 PM
Isha, I know that you have worked on this issue for some time, anything to do with government moves at glacial speed, but it does move! I'm sure that you are proud of your accomplishment and justifiably so.

I can't wait to see pictures!

Hugs, Bria

Kristy 56
05-28-2015, 06:31 PM
Congratulations Aisha, I am very happy for you. :)

Marcelle
05-28-2015, 06:50 PM
Hi all,

Thanks very much for all your kind comments and support. I did report to the Military Police today to obtain the "altered state of dress" identification. It was an odd thing sitting with a ton of other people who were there to obtain building passes and identification cards. There was a moment or two of confusion when I went to the desk but it was sorted quite quickly as they wanted me to turn in my male pass until I explained I needed both.

WRT to the uniform. While I left that open as a potential, it will be some time before I can truly exercise that option. You see, if I dress as a woman in a service uniform, I have to adhere to all the regulations associated with that and make-up has to be very minimal (almost to point of non-existent). So until the beard is a bit thinner (down to the short strokes but still very time consuming) I still have to use way too much foundation. Not to mention it takes a lot of make-up to make this ugly mug somewhat pretty and even then it is a stretch :) :battingeyelashes:. So I think I will exercise the civilian dress days first and revisit in a year when the goatee zone on my face is not as dark.

Hugs

Isha

Michelle Deere
05-28-2015, 09:16 PM
Wow Isha. Congratulations!! That was surprisingly fast.
Does this actually show that the CAF is serious about gender (TG) issues? Hopefully so, but probably not something we will see in the mainstream media though, in contrast to the current sexual harassment cases at RMC.
Michelle

Victoria Demeanor
05-28-2015, 10:31 PM
Fantastic Isha just plain Fantastic. I am so happy for you and so glad for the acceptance.

flatlander_48
05-29-2015, 04:32 PM
I:

Congratulations!

However, I have to admit that I am surprised. The military, any military, is testosterone land2. I certainly would have liked to have heard those discussions! But, whatever the means used to arrive at the decision, it is definitely a progressive step. And I'll bet that the Code of Conduct (or whatever it's called in Canada) will NOT collapse.

Who knew?

DeeAnn

Jackie7
05-29-2015, 05:36 PM
Astounding and amazing Isha. thank you.

ReluctantDebutant
05-29-2015, 06:01 PM
So how would these new regs apply to the battle uniform or to being out in the field or on deployment?

Shelly Preston
05-30-2015, 05:05 AM
Congratulations Isha

Its good to hear that the military are prepared to listen and accommodate your needs.

I am sure you will be held up as great example to others in the services.

Marcelle
05-31-2015, 05:33 AM
So how would these new regs apply to the battle uniform or to being out in the field or on deployment?

Hi RD,

I would have to follow the same dress regulation for CADPAT (combat uniform). Hair cannot extend below the collar and if it does it can either be put up or put in a ponytail and make-up would be minimal as with the dress uniform. In the field, well, I don't know too many women who bother with make-up during these periods so I would probably just follow suit.

Hugs

Isha

Jenniferpl
05-31-2015, 05:38 AM
You go girl. You are a heroine for many.

ReluctantDebutant
05-31-2015, 07:10 AM
I am guessing that the CADPAT are of a gender neutral more masculine design much like our BDUs, DCUs, ACUs, I don't know what the new ones are called, and what ever the other branches call their camo fatigues. The only thing I could see as gender expression in those uniforms would be breastforms. I can't see those as being allowed because they are more impractical than make-up. Seems that gender expression is moot in the field.

donnalee
05-31-2015, 07:28 AM
Isha I am blown away by your success with this, particularly in a military atmosphere where tradition generally trumps logic. You have blazed a trail here that would be difficult for others to top and your reward will be seeing those following the path you and the others have forged. Congratulations are in order, as well as 3 cheers!

mechamoose
05-31-2015, 07:49 AM
That is so awesome! Especially as military.. that is so huge!

I'm super-happy that they are willing to 'let' you be yourself. <tinysnark>

/salute "Yes M'am!!"

- MM

CostaRicaRachel
06-02-2015, 08:35 AM
Wowee, that is amazing, incredible. You are my hero (heroine) :)

ReineD
06-02-2015, 10:07 AM
Wow, congratulations Isha!

Jaymees22
06-02-2015, 12:53 PM
Congrats Isha, I'm so happy for you!! Hugs Jaymee

Nyla F
06-02-2015, 10:56 PM
Wow! Your news actually brought tears to my eyes. What you have done is truly amazing and the response from the military is a welcome surprise (to me at least). One reason in particular I like following your story is how you alternate your gender presentation at your workplace. From other things I have read on this forum, that seems to be rare.

Judith96a
06-03-2015, 10:52 AM
WRT to the uniform. While I left that open as a potential, it will be some time before I can truly exercise that option. You see, if I dress as a woman in a service uniform, I have to adhere to all the regulations associated with that and make-up has to be very minimal (almost to point of non-existent). So until the beard is a bit thinner (down to the short strokes but still very time consuming) I still have to use way too much foundation. Not to mention it takes a lot of make-up to make this ugly mug somewhat pretty and even then it is a stretch :) :battingeyelashes:. So I think I will exercise the civilian dress days first and revisit in a year when the goatee zone on my face is not as dark.

Hugs

Isha

Isha,
Firstly, well done. Many of us perceive the military, of any country, as being slow to change. You clearly know how to get things done.
Secondly, I'd be willing to speculate that I'm not the only one on here who would LOVE to see a piccy of Isha in dress uniform, all in due time of course.
Good luck. You're blazing a trail for others.

Marcelle
06-13-2015, 06:06 AM
Hi all,

This week has been a bit of a busy week for me regarding workplace accommodation as I spent a good portion of it discussing the education piece with my new chain of command. While many in the building I will be working in know about me and some have met me, others have not. We agreed that prior to dressing for the first time at work, an education session needs to occur to inform everyone that it will be happening and answer questions and concerns. So we "war gammed" several strategies on how to approach this and decided on individual section sessions lead by the section heads (LCol level) to inform them a transgender person (no names released) will be posted to the unit and provide them with a few days to think of any questions they might have (that occurred yesterday). The director (Col level) will be holding a town hall session on Tuesday to present the subject again this time releasing my name to all and responding to questions along with the desk officer for the TG policy. In my discussions with the Colonel he indicated that while he is willing to entertain questions and respond to concerns (in the framework we discussed) his overriding message will be "You may not agree with it, like or condone it but you do have to accept it will happen. If you cannot be civil and professional in your dealings with Major G, then you can look for a new career outside of the military" . . . You have no idea how much I smiled internally when I heard those words as the level of support has been exemplary :).

We discussed questions which may pop up and he wanted my take on these as I would not be present at the town hall (Did not want this to turn into a "You know him as Marcel but here she is . . . Marcelle" session). Many of the questions were typical "sexual orientation vs. gender identity" or use of gender appropriate pronouns and tiles (ma'am vice sir). However one question threw me for a loop in that he asked me to better help him explain the potential question "If you feel female some days and male others, how do you know?" He was not being facetious but figured that many might have a hard time wrapping their mind around the fluidity of gender identity in this case. I thought about it and decided to shoot with an analogy I saw in a YouTube video in which a TG person explains a similar question. I asked the Colonel which was his dominant hand, to which he replied he was right handed. I then asked him to write his name with his left hand, which he did. After he finished, I asked him how that felt to which he replied "awkward". I then asked him how long it took him to figure that out. My point to him was that when I wake up on a given day, I am either male or female, I don't control the feeling nor do I make advance plans like "I think next week I am going to dress up as a woman on Wednesday", I just know it upon waking. If I decide to stay male when I feel female, it is as he said "awkward" like using my non-dominant hand to write. However, if I dress up female when I a feel female it is like writing with my dominant hand and I feel "normal". He did not fully understand the subtle nuances but I think it would help him explain it to others in a way they might be able to appreciate.

Other aspects of workplace accommodation were discussed. Particularly . . . If I can wake up feeling female on a given day why I am I only asking for accommodation one day a week rather than open ended accommodation based on how I feel on a given day? I responded that I was not sure how this would be accepted and figured Friday was a safe day given that it was civilian attire and uniforms would not be involved. The Colonel indicated that he would prefer to keep it open ended and the uniform issue could be broached and resolved by providing our supply system with a letter indicating I could draw both male and female service uniforms. In the interim, if I woke up feeling female on a day other than Friday, I was granted authority to just wear civilian attire that day until I draw gender appropriate uniforms.

The final aspect I requested was to have the latitude to grow my hair out. Now I was not sure if this was a bridge too far as I would be contravening dress policy when presenting male (men must have short hair). I did however point out that a precedence of sorts was set when the military allowed aboriginal men to grow out their hair for purpose of cultural identity so long as it is worn in a single braid down the back. The Colonel saw this as a reasonable request and will be pursuing this accommodation with higher chain of command and figures it will most likely just be an administrative blessing requirement. So I may soon be able to begin growing my natural hair out.

So things are continuing forward and should be in place when I start work at the new unit next month. :)

Hugs

Isha

mykell
06-13-2015, 06:18 AM
Isha you are the consummate professional representative for trans rights in many ways, if we had commendations to give out im sure you would receive them,

soo happy things are going in a favorable direction for you, enjoy it you earned this....

Shirley Anne
06-13-2015, 06:24 AM
Isha

Im amazed that an organisation such as the military is so tolerant and flexible I couldnt see it happening in the British military.

steftoday
06-13-2015, 06:38 AM
Amazing news; congrats Isha!

Donnagirl
06-13-2015, 07:00 AM
Damn girl, youre progressing this well... Wish I could say the same.

Katey888
06-13-2015, 07:41 AM
Seriously good progress, Awesome Isha... :cheer:

Poster Girl! :tongueout:

:)

Katey x

Bridget Ann Gilbert
06-13-2015, 08:48 AM
I found it interesting your CO will allow you to dress in civilian attire if you feel the need to until you get female uniforms. Since you've told us you don't want to go the uniform route until you can comply with make up policy, is that an accommodation you think you might use? If you do, how long do you think he'll let things slide?

Bridget

sue ellan
06-13-2015, 08:53 AM
WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wear nice lingerie life it too short not to.

Erika Lyne
06-13-2015, 09:06 AM
I have to say Isha, I am impressed with your leaders and your own leadership. This is an astounding improvement for you and others in your ranks. I think your sincerity about wishing to keep it relegated to Friday for Civilian Attire Day was more than a reasonable personal sacrifice on your part but I am astounded that you CO had offered so much more. Saying that I am "impressed" about the sensitivity and acceptance is an understatement.

Not to put you in the spotlight but, I think you just may end up on the international stage for improvements to TG rights in the CAF and militarized everywhere.

Wow...just...WOW!

Congrats,
-E

mechamoose
06-13-2015, 09:14 AM
Isha, you rock.

I go out there being cross/ambiguous/confusing, yet I'm humbled by the way you are working these things out in the MILITARY.

You GO girl!. I have SO much respect for you!!

- MM

justmetoo
06-13-2015, 01:19 PM
I hardly know what to say, except "Wow!". You are awesome, Isha. I believe the way you are handling it all is one reason it's going so well. Of course, it helps that you have lots of support from the organization and all, too.

Karolyn
06-13-2015, 01:24 PM
Congratulations Isha!! That is really great news! I wish you the best.

jigna
06-13-2015, 01:46 PM
Congratulations Isha!! That is really great news! I wish you the best.
Amazing achievement.

Bria
06-13-2015, 08:40 PM
Isha, it must be very gratifying to receive that level of support from director of your new unit, I think it shows that you have worked openly and honestly with the command structure, using good logic and not relying on emotional approaches.

Three Cheers!!! for Isha!

Hugs, Bria

ReineD
06-14-2015, 04:09 AM
Wow again Isha, congratulations!

Tell me ... the advances you are making in your unit/division/brigade (don't know how it is divided). Will this now be adopted by the entire Canadian Armed Forces in all divisions? How does that work?

Marcelle
06-14-2015, 05:20 AM
Hi all,

Thanks much for your kind comments and support as I kick this down the field to completion. :)

Isha

Im amazed that an organisation such as the military is so tolerant and flexible I couldnt see it happening in the British military.

Hi Shirley Anne,

While I cannot speak for how the British Army would deal with a gender fluid individual, I do know that there are trans women serving in the British Army as there is policy governing TG rights in your Armed Forces.

I found it interesting your CO will allow you to dress in civilian attire if you feel the need to until you get female uniforms. Since you've told us you don't want to go the uniform route until you can comply with make up policy, is that an accommodation you think you might use? If you do, how long do you think he'll let things slide?

Bridget

Hi Bridget,

Funny thing. The other day I met a GG friend for lunch who is also a Lieutenant-Colonel and very big on enforcing dress policy. I applied as minimalistic make-up as I could so as to enhance a female presentation without appearing overdone. She indicated that I was within dress regulation when it comes to make-up and should not worry. So I guess uniform is not beyond the scope of probabilities.

Isha. I believe the way you are handling it all is one reason it's going so well. Of course, it helps that you have lots of support from the organization and all, too.

Hi there,

Yes I am very fortunate to have the support of both my chain of command and several work colleagues as I continue through the process . . . it does make it easier.

Tell me ... the advances you are making in your unit/division/brigade (don't know how it is divided). Will this now be adopted by the entire Canadian Armed Forces in all divisions? How does that work?

Hi Reine,

The Canadian military has had TG policy in place since the early 90s and as such many brave trans women and men have travelled this road long before me and have definitely helped paved the way when it comes to what accommodations can be put in place. Where the Canadian military did not have policy was for those of us who are "gender fluid" and wish to be able to present both genders. I am the first to challenge the policy in that way. As it stands I have become an accidental activist and the TG policy is being rewritten to take into account people like me. This will be reflected in the next policy release this year.

Hugs

Isha

flatlander_48
06-14-2015, 05:51 AM
Isha,
Firstly, well done. Many of us perceive the military, of any country, as being slow to change.

Not necessarily. In the US, the military was ahead of the country in terms of racial integration, for example.

http://www.defense.gov/home/features/2008/0708_integration/military_integration_timeline.pdf

DeeAnn

ReineD
06-15-2015, 11:57 PM
This will be reflected in the next policy release this year.

So this will be applicable to all Canadian Armed forces (land, sea & air), from one end of the country to the other, or will this be a policy release for your particular unit/division?

Marcelle
06-16-2015, 03:39 AM
Hi Reine,

That will CAF wide, coast to coast.

Hugs

Isha

ReineD
06-16-2015, 10:50 AM
Wow, that's big. Again, congratulations!

mechamoose
06-17-2015, 10:21 AM
Isha said: "I am the first to challenge the policy in that way. As it stands I have become an accidental activist and the TG policy is being rewritten to take into account people like me. This will be reflected in the next policy release this year."

I'm still floored by this, and the reaction to it. I can say without a doubt that the US military would have several litters of kittens over this before anything similar happened here.

Hopefully you are keeping a log of your experiences. I can think of several blogs which would love a longer article about this.

/salute

- MM

Judith96a
06-17-2015, 11:41 AM
Isha,
I've just spotted your "progress report". It made fascinating, and encouraging, reading. Your Colonel is clearly not prepared to accept any nonsense from anyone under his command (I liked his "be civil and professional or get out" approach). The overall impression that I gained is that he is trying to understand your situation as best he can and to do all that he can to make this accommodation work rather than merely (and perhaps grudgingly) doing only what he has been ordered to do. In my experience, bosses do not generally expend that degree of effort for just anyone and therefore I suspect that you command a lot of respect with him and within your profession.

To say that I am seriously impressed both with his approach and your achievement is so much of an understatement that it sounds really lame!

LeslieSD
06-19-2015, 08:15 PM
That is amazing progress. Not only you got to have Friday to Isha, and now you are going to have any day as Isha as long as you feel like too. That makes me almost want to jump the fence and join Canadian military. I envy you and feel happy for how far you have got. Keep it on Isha. You are my inspiration!