PDA

View Full Version : I realized I am old...

Ellie52
05-28-2015, 09:32 PM
I realized yesterday that I am old. Though nothing exceptional happened.

I had a day off and a girlfriend of mine requested that I visit her in her shop to try on some new clothes. She was getting a new delivery..I love this lady.
I got dressed up as Ellie and drove to the city.

When I got to her shop the delivery had just arrived and she was very busy so I went next door for a coffee. The staff were fantastic - though I look ok my voice isnt feminine and they knew I was a guy but were very polite. I spent 30 minutes in the coffee shop looking at people and no one paid me much attention (apart from one woman who did a double take). As I was leaving I looked in the mirror above the counter and I saw an old lady looking back at me. I realized it was me and I looked old. When I got dressed the lighting in the bathroom was fine and reduced the shadows on my face but here in the coffee shop I was old.
I went next door and my friend had finished with the delivery and she was so nice and we had a chat about getting old (shes only late 20's, and her biggest problem was frown lines reduced with botox). I tried on some clothes and I looked in the mirror in her store (Bright lights designed to reduce shadows) and I looked OK until I went close to the mirror and I could see the ageing me again (I am 54). Other shoppers were in store and didnt give me a second glance but the excitement had gone and I just wanted to get home.

I now realize how much women dread aging. It never bothered me before, as I am happy being a male and never really bother whats in the mirror, but as I see Ellie aging I feel sad.

Due to some skin cancers I have to wear sunscreen and moisturizer on my face at all times and I am hoping this will reduce the aging but I think the days of me dressing and going out as Ellie are finished as I have no desire for people to see an old guy in a dress trying to look like a woman.

When I get dressed and look in the mirror I still see Ellie, but I cant forget how I looked a few years ago when I was so narcissistic I couldnt stop looking at myself - It seems those days have gone.

I feel sorry for women who know this is coming and feel a little sorry for myself as I know I cannot turn the clock back. I have never had a desire to be a woman and dont feel like I should be one (unlike many on here) but now as a guy I look in the mirror and feel a little sad because behind my eyes I see Ellie looking out and I know she is scared of getting old.

My friend in the shop is so gorgeous and the girls in the coffee shop so friendly I am going to miss going in as Ellie but Ill still drop by as a guy.

This post sounds a little depressing and maudlin but I thought I would share it with you. I may find a way to reduce the aged look and Ellie may be out there again but unless she looks good she's ain't going anywhere.

Best wishes
Ellie

JenniferR771
05-28-2015, 09:52 PM
Send me your pic--or get a photo editing program. Erase the wrinkles photographically. I am learning to retouch photos.

Women get old, too. They learn to cope. And that is half the fun of new outfits--pretty clothes and accessories distract the eye from various sagging features.

franlee
05-28-2015, 10:09 PM
Just remember it's worth a lot just to be around to Fuss! The alternative is very bleak and long lasting. Just lay on a little more foundation and do the Artist thing as best you can. You only have to look at it(face) while your putting it on! Besides it's like those drab men's clothes it comes off and then you change again.

Ivy
05-28-2015, 10:52 PM
Do not grow old Ellie. There is no reason to hide and shut yourself out. Be elegant as you grow through life.

justmetoo
05-28-2015, 10:54 PM
I'm older than you and I'm enjoying life! I just try to look as good as I can with who I am at this point in time. I don't see much point in dwelling on the past. My general tendency is to look forward to the future. But that's me. You have to do you. Take care and don't get too down! Older doesn't have to be bad. I have seen plenty of women much older than me who look fantastic.

AnnieMac
05-28-2015, 11:00 PM
Well, Ellie i am always amazed at you, and how good and natural you look in all your photos. Being the closet dresser that I am I also am amazed at how naturally you seem to interact in public, not really worrying about what others think about what you are wearing and that you are a male doing it in public.
But honestly, with the old thing, I feel exactly the way you do. I'm actually older than you girl. But since I don't go out in public, where it really hits me is in photos I have tried to take of myself. I do all my make-up and hair, and I'm not bad at that and I think I look really good when I'm staring at myself in the mirror ( maybe my brain is fooling me) but then I see photos I have taken of myself, and then yes there is this older woman staring back at me sometimes, and it really gets me.
So I know how you feel for the most part. Guess I'll have to get brave enough to present Annie to the real outside world sometime.

Ellie52
05-29-2015, 12:05 AM
There are certain times or events in your life when you can say something has changed. It maybe catastrophic or just minor but yesterday shocked me. I agree I can mask the effects of aging if required but that's not the point. What is scary is the speed in which it happens. I dont feel old, I am healthy and active. I can still go out dressed as Ellie but the feeling inside is different. I have lost something that I dont want to loose.
My comments arent so much about me but about aging in general. Its totally different for women who put a lot of emphasis on appearance, than it is for a man.
Just look at all the beauty products to defy aging. Unfortunately, all these do is mask the effects and if you look closely you'll see through it. This is what happened to me yesterday and I felt, for the first time in my life - old.
I think these comments come because it depressed me to see that view in the mirror at the coffee shop and next time I get dressed Ill feel OK again - this is what Im hoping for, but we'll see.
I may have time on Monday to take some photos and Im going to see if AnnieMac is right - We'll judge by the camera.

i am reminded of a song by the Canadian band - Rush called Loosing it and it puts into words my feelings better than I can - especially the last verse.
Thanks to Rush

"Losing It"

The dancer slows her frantic pace
In pain and desperation
Her aching limbs and downcast face
Aglow with perspiration

Stiff as wire, her lungs on fire
With just the briefest pause
The flooding through her memory
The echoes of old applause

She limps across the floor
And closes her bedroom door...

The writer stare with glassy eyes
Defies the empty page
His beard is white, his face is lined

And streaked with tears of rage

Thirty years ago, how the words would flow
With passion and precision
But now his mind is dark and dulled
By sickness and indecision

And he stares out the kitchen door
Where the sun will rise no more...

Some are born to move the world
To live their fantasies
But most of us just dream about
The things we'd like to be
Sadder still to watch it die
Than never to have known it
For you, the blind who once could see
The bell tolls for thee...

Hell on Heels
05-29-2015, 03:34 AM
Hell-o Ellie,
OMG ! How saddening your realization story is.
First off, and you've heard this many times,(but it is so true) we are our
own worst critics. So bring on the wrinkled old hag pics if you need us to
tell you how good you look (for an "old" girl!)
Aging, as you stated, can't be stopped. Thankfully it happens to everyone, and
there are plenty of GG's out there that are worse off than you. (Pending a review of those pics)
Age is nothing more than a number, your peek in the mirror scared you while out in public while
you were already a bit self conscious about your appearance.
Take a closer look in that mirror at home, with that age defying lighting.
What you see is exactly what the rest of the world is seeing.
If you are still having trouble with the affects of time on your appearance,
there are ways to change that (other than those wrinkle creams)
Maybe a consult with your doc, tell him/her the stress your experiencing and
ask how you should proceed.
Just know EVERYONE gets a day older everyday, and everyone has these same
feelings at some point in life. (If not more than a few times in life)
You said your were still treated with respect, that should mean something to you.
Enjoy your life, smash a mirror if helps!
Much Love,
Kristyn

charlenesomeone
05-29-2015, 03:59 AM
Ellie, like the others have said, who cares. You do, but we are our worst critics. I am older than you too, and passing, well , but if being who we feel we are makes us happy do that.
You may not be your young self anymore, no one is, each minute we age, its life. Find a style for an elegant woman, go with that.
It works for the GG's.
Your tag line says it all,

Marcelle
05-29-2015, 04:07 AM
Hi Ellie,

I am so sorry to hear about your revelation and to be honest I had a similar epiphany awhile back when I walked by a mirror in a store and saw an old person staring back . . . who was this I thought as my preening and primping in the mirror before going out was quite presentable. Sweetie, we all get old and while we may think just women suffer from this, I have many male friends who used to turn the heads of many women back in the day who now complain that women just don't notice them. Nobody likes to get old as it reminds us of our own mortality. We reach a certain age and then it feels like our internal "doomsday clock" revs up to hyper speed and we no longer matter in the world. The good news is that age is not as defined as it was in the past. I remember my parents getting the "Over the Hill" birthday cards when they turned 40 . . . you don't see that much anymore.

I will be honest again, when I dress (an believe me the kid ain't pretty - photos are so forgiving) I feel old and know people see an older woman (or a close approximation) not some PYT (pretty young thing :)) but then again when I present female I am an older woman as are many of my GG friends - lines, wrinkles, sags, older skin - goes with the territory. However, it doesn't mean I have to stop wearing nice clothes or exposing my ugly mug to the world any more than I would stop going out as a guy now that I am older (the kid turns no heads either). I like to people watch (guy or girl) and notice many beautiful older women and handsome older men and yes they have wrinkles, aging skin, age spots but it is their presence that shines through not their visage.

The one silver lining in the cloud . . . if people see an older woman on first glance, it is unlikely they come in for a more detailed look so my blending ability has gone up a few percentage points :battingeyelashes:.

I am not trying to make light of your situation as I am sure it is very real for you. I am just trying to give you a different perspective from one older gal to another.

Hugs

Isha

Claire Cook
05-29-2015, 05:56 AM
Hi Ellie,

I think all of us older ladies have gone through this. When I do, I think about GG's and remind myself that some of them have the same worries about aging! Now that I am .. umm .. a septuagenarian ... I think "who am I trying to kid?" I've found that being out and about as an older woman is really kinda fun. I'm treated politely, and reap the benefits of being a senior citizen. Just the other day I was in our local GoodWill (I buy a lot of my clothes there) and was in a longish checkout line with the two tops I was buying. When I commented about the length of the line to the SA, she said "Didn't you know that Wednesday is Seniors' Day? You get 20% off. Umm, you are over 55, aren't you?" "Hon, I won't tell if you won't." (A giggle from the lady behind me.)

Anyway, I hope this is a temporary thing for you. It would be a shame for Ellie not to be Ellie!

Isha, BTW I have to share this sorta Canadian story. Years ago we worked with Elderhostel groups and a retired couple from Halifax helped us as volunteers. They had a sign over their dorm room: "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"

Cheers,

Claire

Krisi
05-29-2015, 06:45 AM
Aging is part of life and women get old too. It sure beats the alternative.

There's no reason you can't still dress and go out as Ellie. You'll just be an older Ellie.

You'll want longer skirts and less revealing necklines but you can still pull it off.

kimdl93
05-29-2015, 06:50 AM
Well, I know about feeling older....when I see pictures from 15 years ago especially. I'm reminded of something my aunt said. She's gone now, but she was perhaps 55 or 60 at the time. She remarked that in the morning she would still look in the mirror expecting to see a young girl and be startled by the sight of an old woman...and realize it was her.

Or as Bonnie Rait sang, ...those lines get pretty hard to take when they're staring back at you.

susan54
05-29-2015, 07:00 AM
You could turn this one on its head. I am nearly 60 whatever I wear. As myself, I have grey hair and no make-up. As Susan,I have dark hair and my skin is smoother and more even because of make-up. So I look younger. When I was trying on a 3-piece outfit (mini-dress, cardigan and trousers) in my favourite boutique, they admired the dress without the trousers and said it showed off my fantastic legs. That's all very well,I said - never mind the gender - it is not age-appropriate for a 60-year old. They were shocked and said I must have very good genes. Certainly when people meet my mother who is 90 they cannot believe her skin so it possibly wasn't just flattery from the shop staff. But whatever you look like as a guy, there are ways of looking a LOT younger as a woman, just get the clothes and make-up right - but you really need to get the walk right too to complete the illusion - it is possibly easier to carry off the age illusion than the gender illusion.

Kate Simmons
05-29-2015, 07:04 AM
There are physical changes of course but getting "old" is mostly in the mind. If we take responsibility for our own health and well being we will have more self assurance. Just because we are older doesn't me we can't have fun and enjoy life.:battingeyelashes::)

CarlaWestin
05-29-2015, 07:06 AM
Send me your pic--or get a photo editing program. Erase the wrinkles photographically. I am learning to retouch photos.

Women get old, too. They learn to cope. And that is half the fun of new outfits--pretty clothes and accessories distract the eye from various sagging features.

Yeah, Jenn just sent an image back to me that she'd touched up. My, my! I certainly don't appear to be on the verge of sixty. We're all going to get old and the only defense is to slow the process with good health and nutrition.

And, whatever photo editor Jennifer is using.

Thanks a bunch, Jenny!

Laura912
05-29-2015, 08:13 AM
I am in that dichotomy where the outside is aging but the inside has yet to grow up...

Rhanda
05-29-2015, 08:22 AM
It seems that the older the women that I know get, the less they know about doing makeup. I get made up and look fantastic and when I meet some one my age (87) that has had as many years of experience as me they look like they have just given up. Sad isn't it?

Someday I will give you some pictures but as for now there are good reasons to be heard and not seen here.

Rhanda

AnnieMac
05-29-2015, 08:39 AM
All of this reminds me of a comment often heard that "As men grow old, they get distinguished, and as women grow old, they just get old". In my own head I have always poo-poohed the idea that it is a man's world, or that there is a male advantage. Shoot, every sex has its pros and cons, and the power of female sexuality and attraction is incredible. Probably why most of us want to feel a piece of what that's like. I know that's a big part of my dressing. But in this case, men probably do have an advantage. Age is just more noticeable on women, because their bodies and faces are just more "out there". Sooo, now it is more noticeable on "us", and we are not used to it.

Ellie, I was truly taken by your response "I have lost something that I dont want to loose." Here we are these "cross dressers" that somehow we have this deviant part of our personalities that make us do this. Yet, I feel like you, regardless of whether or not I stop dressing or stop having the need to, I would NEVER want to lose that female part of me that makes me want to!! I have often thought that the girl does somehow lie within, and that we can be "cross dressers" in life without even the dressing part. Just expressing who we really are. And that is not typically something males do, and I have been sad about that for a long time. A topic for a future thread perhaps.

sometimes_miss
05-29-2015, 09:13 AM
the power of female sexuality and attraction is incredible. <snip> But in this case, men probably do have an advantage.

Yes, obviously. Women have the advantage when they're young, men, as we get older. However in most cases, neither realizes it at the time!

I knew I was old the first time my nephews changed the radio station in my car to rap, and a really obnoxious yelling version at that. To which I replied, 'That's not music, that's noise!'.

And I knew I had turned into my dad. That was 25 years ago. So now, I'm REALLY old.

Jennifer in CO
05-29-2015, 10:10 AM
This is why you don't see a 60 year old in mini skirts....

Since the pictures were lost in the fire, I only have memories. But I remember as a 15 year old spending the entire summer as Jennifer with the GP's. Mini skirts, mini dresses and super short short-shorts were all I wore. At 5'7 and maybe 100 pounds I wore a size 2-4. Now, at 58 I have to put a 1+ in front of it. I found a size 14 mini skirt in GW about a year ago. Took it into the changing room and tried it on.
It looked silly.
So I dress more "age appropriate" these days.
Am I sadden by this? Yes and no. I miss the days of absolutely no one being able to tell I was a boy. I miss the days of anything in my closet looking fabulous on me whether I was going to the store or going out to dance. I miss the days of having so much hair I could style it in way I wanted. I miss the days of no makeup was totally acceptable.
Ahhh...but the no...
I look back and see how much wiser I am today. I think back to how much of a pain not showing what you didn't want showing but wore it anyway in the name of vanity isn't a problem any more...you just don't wear it. I think back about how many times I nearly broke an ankle falling off those 4 and 5 inch heels when I was 100 pounds lighter...you just don't wear them (and when I did being 6'6" and a woman wasn't exactly vogue). The list could go on. Nope, I see myself as much wiser these days. Heck, I don't even own a single dress these days just so I'm not tempted to go make a fool of myself. I'll be sticking to my slacks, jeans and the occasional pair of shorts these days. These days....are sooo boring...now...where'd I put that miniskirt I bought...

lesli
05-29-2015, 10:14 AM
everyone gets old, it's just part of the plan. embrace it and keep your youthful attitude. with the baby boomers aging--old is the new in thing!

Suzie Petersen
05-29-2015, 10:16 AM
The problem is actually not aging!

Sometime around 1994, most manufacturing of mirrors was transferred to China and a couple other countries out there. Since then, the image quality has steadily gone down and last I checked it is downright horrible!

So dont worry about it, you actually look a lot better to others than you do when you look at yourself in one of these substandard mirrors we can buy today!

;)

- Suzie

Dana44
05-29-2015, 10:22 AM
Ellie, It is hard getting old. Women go through this and it does make it hard on them. My SO is ten years younger than me. I look younger than her. She takes it well. sort of. With makeup on, even younger. I'm 63 and look in the mirror and wow the years sure do make a difference. Do go and get age reducers at the makeup counter. I started using them. Heck, I think I have a wrinkle now and possibly crow feet at my eyes. Oh dear...

Alice Torn
05-29-2015, 10:59 AM
I must reply to your thread. At 61, I like portraying an older lady, who still has nice legs, and looks fair, as i have noticed MUCH OLDER WOMEN, dressed up in dresses, hose and heels, and skirts a few inches above the knee. One is in her 80's! One was around 90!. Two old sisters, used to walk around town everyday, in one town i lived. They often wore skirts knee length, or dresses, and yes, i was watching! On the other hand, i feel my aging, more and more, too, with failing eyesight, dropping things more, forgetfulness, irritability. My mom, and her side of the dysfunctional family, mostly had Alzheimer's, and i sense it coming, happening little by little. I cannot run like i used to, or play full court basketball anymore. There is a sadness, yet, a joy, in sometime, finishing this hard program, and going to rest from all the labors, and sorrows. Your thread is a good one, and makes us all realize we are all getting older, but we can, be young at heart, some, and can learn to accept and enjoy it, too. Life for most people that ever walked this planet, has been pretty grim. I think older ladies , who keep themselves up, are WOW! Why not be one part time?

Bria
05-29-2015, 11:02 AM
I think that Suzie has the right answer, it's the quality of the mirrors. Ellie, I was 20 when you were born and I must tell you that age is just a number, sure we don't look like we did when we were in high school, but real beauty comes from within. If you look carefully you will see ladies my age that still look great by carefully choosing their clothes and accessories. Maybe just a bit of self delusion helps, just remember that you can't stop growing older (as long as you are on this side of the grass) but it doesn't mean that you have to grow up!!!!

Hugs, Bria

Jaylyn
05-29-2015, 11:25 AM
Ellie you are not that old I'm a cool 65 and my wife is soon to be 64. She will not let go of that hope a glimmer that she is aging. She says I look younger than her. Women age faster than men. I think that's just the Gpgenetics of the species. My wife has recently took on a whole new plan and it seems to be working. She said last year that she was going to get old fighting it. We both have started a walking and eating healthy plan. I really believe that the plan is working as our attitudes are also changing about the aging process. It seems as we accepted we can't do anything about the age number we can do something about our age look number. The first thing one must do though is start being a positive person with the aging process. When our attitudes of getting old changed to "its ok and we are going to get old fighting age " then we started feeling younger. Just getting our legs in shape and me adding some old muscle instead of flab and every thing has began falling back in place. We started a very healthy diet and I won't say what it is on here but my daughter found it and it actually is working. I feel full but still have the energy to work out at the end of the day. Fight fight fight. We know we will get older but the body clock can be turned back in the looks department or at least as my wife said we will age gracefully and slow it down just a little. To sum it up I've noticed we've started focussing on our attitude of aging and enjoying more the years we have left.

Debra Russell
05-29-2015, 11:42 AM
My wife once told me after seeing a picture of me when I was out shopping with my grand daughter that I looked like an old woman :) ...I said that works for me:love:.........................Debra

CONSUELO
05-29-2015, 11:59 AM
Ellie, Don't get maudlin about your aging. You can always look fabulous and remember that all of your peers are in the same boat. Retreating is not the answer.

Katey888
05-29-2015, 12:11 PM
Bless you Ellie.. :hugs: That's an honest and sensitive perspective of what many GGs must feel and some of us too. I can totally understand what you're feeling and have often felt similar things myself along with the question: "So how long before I think I'm TOO old..."

It's good to hear that you're still getting out though - and I'm guessing you do still carry a slim figure so I know that will help preserve the image and probably more so than you realise. And I know we always envy you Aussies your climate (in the sunny parts, anyway..) but all that sun does have its downside, so yes: plaster on the sunscreen and all the moisturisers you can find - and a little extra primer and foundation doesn't go amiss either, just to assist when Ellie does get out again... ;)

I wonder if what you've described here so eloquently (and I feel very much the same as you) is one of those strong indicators of just what 'nature' of individual we are. While I completely respect and admire those who are able and willing to both continue and expand their activities into later life, I somehow can't see myself continuing once the glamour has gone from it. Some might think that's shallow in some way - and it probably is! - but for me that's so much of the fun and joy of transformation, it wouldn't be the same without it. I don't think retouching photos is the answer - not for me anyway - but let's hope you keep enjoying it for a while longer.

Thanks for sharing an interesting and thoughtful perspective - not depressing, but pragmatic and real... :)

Katey x

Dana44
05-29-2015, 12:13 PM
I have to say for those comments that women know less or getting older that they give up. I know and knew several people that even in their nineties, they were pretty and always looked their very best and had the attitude that showed it. My old ant Bess was ninety three and went shopping with her. She had more energy that I did. Some of those very old were far better people than I see in the world today. Heck when I was young, those people knew how to party. Drank the best scotch. Sang around the piano. It was a time forgotten. But one thing I know they did their best to live and enjoyed life.

Amy Lynn3
05-29-2015, 12:27 PM
Yep, as others have said the mirror quality has gone South...ugh, China. I am 69 and as long as I can cause myself to look pretty, I am fine.

Like Laura tells me....I look like three miles of bad road as a man, but I look so much better as a woman and I'm sure you do too. Keep on being as pretty as possible when you are Ellie, the guy can only be a guy.:)

AnnieMac
05-29-2015, 12:44 PM
And, as we all head towards this journey to going home . . .the good part is there is no gender in heaven.

Isabella Ross
05-29-2015, 01:46 PM
Very poignant and thought provoking thread. Well, for some of us, we accept that there is no heaven (or hell)...so you might as well maximize what you do while you're here. One of my favorite flickr folks is a gal named Laurette McGovern. Anybody wondering how they should age as a tgurl should check out her photos, which are absolutely wonderful. See them here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/30517065@N00/ It's all about attitude, I believe.

Alex!
05-29-2015, 02:12 PM
Ellie,

I hear you. I went through this in February this year. Sometimes, the camera makes me look good. At other times, it reveals in horrifying detail both my maleness and that I am 46. I'm not old, nor do I feel old. But I realized what was going on: My archetype was not matching reality. I think folks tend to do this with a bunch of stuff, and is probably the essence of the saying that "It's not the destination that counts, it is the journey," or, as Spock once said: "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." In terms of crossdressing, this means that I had a vision of myself that wasn't matching reality, and that the end state, whatever that means, is not as fun as simply being. I needed to stop focusing on the end state and focus on the fun I was having while getting ready and being out and about with friends (the journey).

But what does that mean? First, I abandoned the idea of passing as a woman. This is unrealistic and, in fact, not the most important thing for me as I am not transgendered. Rather, I want to be out and about in whatever I want to wear and do so with dignity. In addition, I need to focus on how I really look and not how closely I should match some idealistic vision I have of myself (it reminds me of the struggle women have in particular when they compare themselves to models in advertisement or actresses in film, all products of fantasy).

So, I was bummed like you after the initial realization in February. Really bummed. I packed everything up and was saddened at the prospect of never seeing Alex again. In fact, I felt as though a good friend had moved away. Very weird. But then, I thought about it more, adjusted my perspective on things, and now I think i can dress again as Alex. This time, it might be even more empowering and satisfying, because of the confidence that comes with knowledge and realistic self assessment.

I'm not sure I'm being helpful, but your story struck a cord with me. And this forum is about kindred spirits, I think :) Be well, and though it sounds cliche, it will look better down the line.

PS - It is worth noting that there are many crossdressers who are in their 50s and beyond who look absolutely smashing (when not dressed as teens or hookers - my personal opinion, of course). These wonderful folks inspire me.

Isabella Ross
05-29-2015, 04:04 PM
It's also worth noting that some crossdressers in their 50s or beyond also look absolutely smashing when dressed as teens or hookers. For some, it's about the fantasy...it doesn't always have to be this serious business. And just have to say this...if you're a crossdresser, you're transgendered. That's why you crossdress.

flatlander_48
05-29-2015, 04:19 PM
E52:

We are Old (and I've got 1.2 decades on you), but there is NOTHING that says we have to BE Old. And that makes all the difference in the world.

My wife tells me I'm the only person she knows who has to slow down to get on an expressway!!

Let the Good Times Roll!!

DeeAnn

Alex!
05-29-2015, 04:46 PM
Isabella, I am not transgendered. Of this I am quite certain. Crossdressing is a generic term for a set of behaviors that overlap sex and gender expression. I am of the former variant.

As for my other comment, I edited my post to reflect that this is just my opinion. :)

AnnieMac
05-29-2015, 04:55 PM
hmmmm Isabella, that might be true, but when I look into my own heart, I feel more bi-gendered, than transgendered. But Haha, maybe it's like when they tell people that claim they are bi-sexual, that they are really gay and lying to themselves - :). But I honestly believe you can be bi-sexual, so bi-gendered isn't so far off.
Also Alex, I love that in your profile you call it "The Craft". So true - awesome thought! It is indeed isn't it?

Isabella Ross
05-29-2015, 05:26 PM
Alex, I'm going to take exception to your position...but I want to stress I am doing so as politely as possible, with the utmost respect for you. For you to say "I am not transgendered. Of this I am quite certain." is akin to me saying, "I am not a human. I am a cat." I can claim to be a cat until I'm blue in the face, but you and everyone else know that I am a human. The word "transgendered" is universally-accepted as an umbrella term used to describe all persons who feel an urge to dabble or portray themselves in the opposite gender to that they were born with--and this includes people who crossdress. (The exception to this are people who move beyond transgendered to transexual...and for those that do this, I'd rather just call them a woman in the case of M2F if that is their preference). Transgendered is an excellent and sensitive term that we should be proud of wearing, rather than one that we should try to wiggle out of because, for reasons we're not willing to explain or some associated stigma that we refuse to come to terms with, we're somehow not comfortable with it. So once again, every time I see a crossdresser deny they're transgendered, I will politely push back, because I see this as unnecessary muddying of the waters -- and a disservice to those who have fought long and hard for transgendered rights.

AnnieMac
05-29-2015, 05:36 PM
Isabella, while I agree with most of your above comments, and get your point. I disagree that transgendered is universally accepted and understood by the general public to be what it is you describe. Most folks in the general public will assume that transgendered means you want the operation. We had a rather lively, and fun too, impromptu family conversation about this over Memorial day, and it was fun to get my relatives and in-laws take on all of this. But, I had to be very careful, what I had to say, I was close to outing myself, at least by guilt by association, so I had to take the high road and listen more - :)

Melissa in SE Tn
05-29-2015, 05:38 PM
Mirror mirror on the wall, who is one of our favorite red heads of all ? It's Elle , of course!! Take Rush off of your turntable & play more Merillion. Peace always, mel

Isabella Ross
05-29-2015, 05:41 PM
Annie, thank you for the comment. I would counter with this: transgendered is universally accepted by those in the know. But you're absolutely correct -- thanks in part to ABC News, other misguided media people and Bruce Jenner, the term has been hijacked. While that's a shame, it doesn't mean we should abandon it. If anything, we should redouble our efforts to correct this misinformation and misuse of a perfectly good term.

Lorileah
05-29-2015, 06:14 PM
This is why you don't see a 60 year old in mini skirts....

:facepalm: you really went there? You don't see a lot of 30 year olds in minis either but that is moot. It becomes a practical thing over looks. Really people, I know a woman who is in her late 70's, she looks great, has a nice body. She wears tennis dresses...in public...to lunch. But she does work at it I also know people who are 35 that can get discounts at Denney's. Here in the Mile High city and I would bet most cities, you will see women of "age" dressed in a lot of different things. Have you looked at society page photos?

All the "Dress appropriate" crap is just that. Dress for what you like.246165
Unretouched 58 year old. I am not wearing stockings, I do have makeup on. Any reason I can't wear a mini?

Isabella Ross
05-29-2015, 06:18 PM
Absolutely none. You're gorgeous.

steftoday
05-29-2015, 07:11 PM
Seconded, Isabella. Lorileah, you've got killer stems. ;-)

Alex!
05-29-2015, 07:23 PM
Just to be clear on my comment - Everyone should wear whatever they want, regardless of age. I certainly don't advocate otherwise. I was referring to what I find attractive. We all have different preferences.

bobbimo
05-30-2015, 06:20 AM
Here is the secret Ellie.
SMILE.
It doesnt matter how good I think I look, If I dont have my 'happy to be Bobbi' smile on my face, I'm a guy in dress.
I too remember having to snap pics of me in every new dress I bought, but after looking at them. The ones where I was concentrating on the camera and not on how happy I was, really shows.
SO dont worry, be happy, and SMILE!
Bobbi

Ellie52
05-30-2015, 06:47 AM
To everyone who has posted - thank you so much i really needed the advice and I have read every comment (more than once in many cases).
I really appeciated all the comments and have taken a lot of the advice to heart.

My wife probably summed it up by saying "Toughen up Princess" then asking if we should go out and buy some thermal underwear..... Women, What can you do with them?

So where do I go from here? The thermal vest is quite comfortable and the surgical hose is OK but I prefer black stockings.

Seriously, I think the shock has worn off, but the underlying problem still exists - Age.

As mentioned to someone recently, I feel like Im walking into a tunnel and there is light behind me but as I walk further into the tunnel the light behind me dims and I cant see what lies ahead of me in the darkness. I think the day in the coffee shop was the first day I saw the darkness ahead.
Because of the comments I received on the forum the light in tunnel is brighter and I can see my way now and its not as scary.
I hope this analagy is rational as it tends to describe (loosly) the feeling I got when I looked in the mirror.

I am now looking at my male face in a different way. My wife gave me some eye revitalizer !!! and something by 'Nivea' that should help. I am hoping I can slow the inevtable decline but at least I wasnt hit by a train going through the tunnel.

Thank you again to everyone for your advice, it has really helped. Though, I may change my mind on Monday if I get a chance to dress and take some photos.

Still smiling
Ellie
Also, I had an offer by my wife, of a pair of $700 diamond earings for my birthday and I chose a Samsung Tablet instead. The guy is still in charge....

CarlaWestin
05-30-2015, 10:16 AM
This is why you don't see a 60 year old in mini skirts

Yeah, at 60 I guess you should just knock it off, get fat, be a real man and then just die.

NOT!

flatlander_48
05-30-2015, 03:01 PM
CW:

You've got a BAD Attitude; BAD Attitude!!!!

I like that!!!!

DeeAnn

bimini1
05-31-2015, 08:19 AM
Yup the old gal ain't what she used to be. I had to face up to it. I accept the reality in male mode but en femme it's a whole different mindset. I had to work through it. I will be 50 in July. 20 years flies by in like, 2 seconds it seems. I look at pics from 15 years ago and am like dang it's over. My face is fatter now, not as smooth, couple of wrinkles that were not there before. Hard pill to swallow but it must go down somehow.
Here is where some will hang up the heels. Even though I can feel the age in male mode, as soon as I dress it seems like 20 years falls away from the feeling of being older yet the mirror is still there.
Gotta accept it and look at it like fine wine and good whiskey.

donnalee
05-31-2015, 08:25 AM
Age is not a detriment; it is a bonus and an opportunity. Consider the alternative. By all rights, I should have been dead years ago; so far I have lived longer than my parents, one of my 2 elder sisters and almost all of my early contemporaries and survived a serious heart attack and several other things that should have been the end of me. I've got 15 years on you and am looking forward to many more. I've finally sorted out most of my issues, started an exercise and weight-loss program and am looking forward, not back.
One of the things that has helped is a fondness for old broads that started at a pretty young age; they seemed to have a certain wisdom tempered with mercy that I found quite attractive, so I have no problem with looking like one.

flatlander_48
05-31-2015, 08:28 AM
"I'm not as young as I once was,
but with any luck, I'm not as old as I'm going to get..."

DeeAnn

Jenniferathome
05-31-2015, 10:53 AM
The only thing sad about older women is when they try to look much younger than they are. The same is true for cross dressers.

Stephanie47
05-31-2015, 12:25 PM
The alternative to not getting old is worse. I think I'm a decade and a half older than you. Yep, I have the look of my age, male or female. I just try to take care of myself as best as I can. I remember dreading getting kissed on the lips by my paternal grandmother because she needed to shave her upper lip.

Jorja
05-31-2015, 12:35 PM
My Dear, you need Dolly Parton's attitude. ;)

Dolly Parton says to Kathie Lee Gifford

If I see something that's sagging, bagging, dragging, why not nip it, tuck it, pluck it, and suck it?!

Tracii G
05-31-2015, 12:49 PM
Plenty of us over 60 have gone thru that and had our pity party times you are not alone in feeling that.
Keep this idea in mind many people here have said when in girl mode we look 10 years younger..

rocketscientist
05-31-2015, 12:50 PM
I will be 45 in a few months. Weather permitting, I wear short shorts and miniskirts all the time when out and about. Most who know me personally would guess my age around 10-15+ years younger than I actually am. I don't buy into age appropriate clothing so much. If you can still look good wearing it and it makes you happy, I say go for it. I suppose there will eventually come a day I won't look so good wearing a Hello Kitty v-neck and denim miniskirt, but I vow to go down kicking and screaming! "Age appropriate" is one of those terms I hate along with "acceptance" and "tolerance". It is more of an opinion and we all know what they are like. Lol

Dana44
05-31-2015, 01:13 PM
Oh heck it is hard getting old. Yesterday my sinus was really hurting. So, went to Yoga. thought that would help with all the blood moving through the body. Wow, on inversions. I could not for the life of it come up in a head stand. My equilibrium seemed off. Then on more topsy turvy stuff. I realized I was very nauseous. Came home and felt horrible. shot my nose with saline and a allergy one. Took about three hours to feel better. I never had that happen in my life. Yoga has always been fairly straight forward for me. But never go if your sinus is messed up. I finally dressed after I felt better.

bobbimo
06-01-2015, 06:03 AM
I will be 45 in a few months. Weather permitting, I wear short shorts and miniskirts all the time when out and about. Most who know me personally would guess my age around 10-15+ years younger than I actually am. I don't buy into age appropriate clothing so much. If you can still look good wearing it and it makes you happy, I say go for it. I suppose there will eventually come a day I won't look so good wearing a Hello Kitty v-neck and denim miniskirt, but I vow to go down kicking and screaming! "Age appropriate" is one of those terms I hate along with "acceptance" and "tolerance". It is more of an opinion and we all know what they are like. Lol

I'm with ya!
If it makes me happy I do it.
I love wearing short shorts and mini shirts!
I'm 66
Bobbi

Karen RHT
06-01-2015, 09:01 AM
I'll be 68 in 3 weeks time. :) I don't have as much experience or talent for dressing fully as many of you do. Based on my wife's comments, my legs are fine for either short or long skirts/dresses. It's my face that poses the biggest challenge. I'll be quite happy if I manage to do an effective, convincing job of looking like a smartly dressed, attractive, 68 year old woman.

Beverley Sims
06-02-2015, 03:26 AM
Ellie,
You may have aged, and probably gracefully at that.

You probably blend in more now than you think.

Keep seeing the people that you know and don't lose contact.

That is when they catch up on you. :)

sandie
06-02-2015, 05:30 AM
I think my house is haunted when i look in the mirror i see an old lady looking back at me

Kelly DeWinter
06-02-2015, 05:49 AM
Girls !, It's more about attitude, I keep thinking that I've earned every wrinkle by living a good(:)) life. So as long as they make filler and sandpaper for the bodywork under my makeup, I'll continue to take photos and enjoy a glance in the Mirror.

daviolin
06-02-2015, 08:56 AM
I know were your coming from Ellie. I've learned to deal with it. I'm 67 years old. I don't go out any more. I kind of feel silly in my old age. My wife is in total acceptance of Daviolin. She give me total 24/7 dressing time. I love it. We are both retired, and spend all our time together. When we do go out I dress in all feminine clothes but very unisex. At home I can be anything I want to be. From a cutsie teenager, to a sexy old lady. What ever the mood I'm in for the day. My dream came true. This is what I've always wanted in my dressing hobby. Daviolin

Ellie52
06-03-2015, 04:33 AM
Daviolin
I am living the dream too and have nothing really to complain about. Its funny you treat dressing as a hobby as this is my take on it also.
I also go out dressed unisex, usually leggins and a skivvy with ladies flat shoes. My wife sometimes asks me to put better trousers on but only if were going somewhere special.

Ellie

daviolin
06-03-2015, 04:11 PM
Hi Ellie
It's so good to know there are other girls out there, on the same page as me. You rock Ellie. We should keep in touch. Would love to chat some time. Daviolin

CherylFlint
06-05-2015, 05:50 AM
You’re right: keep your face out of the sun.
And don’t smoke.
And get thin.
The more you “pass”, the more fun it is.
Trust me on this one.