PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get a work from home job

Gwinnie
05-29-2015, 01:26 PM
My wife and I just had a new baby 3 months ago. I'm trying to get a job where I can work from home so I can be with the baby more and save on childcare. I could also actually dress to go to work. Sounds wonderful I think.

Gwendolyn

RADER
05-29-2015, 01:33 PM
I hope you get what you wish for, It is hard to find a company willing to have you work out of the "Box"
as it where. There are some companies that let you work say a day or two at home.
That might be something worth looking in to.
Rader

bobbimo
05-31-2015, 06:31 AM
I work from home and its very convenient. How ever when you work from home your out of site and people tend to forget your there. unless you screw something up.
Working from home 3 days a week is best. That way you have face time in the office and can continue to be in the office loop.
Bobbi

JeanneF
05-31-2015, 10:09 AM
A lot depends on what you define as a work-from-home job. I took a consulting position a couple of years ago, after a career in retail automotive dealership management. I have to travel, but my office is at my house.

What is your skill set? Freelancers, especially in the tech sector, can often work from home. I have a friend who took his family on a three month "vacation" to Savannah, GA this spring and just setup an office at the AirBNB that he was renting there so he could get his work done.

sometimes_miss
05-31-2015, 10:58 AM
Be careful what you wish for.
I did a little working at home thing when I had an injury a few years back. What I experienced, was that my home became my office. I never felt like I left work, there was always something that could be worked on, and I couldn't escape that feeling of being at work all the time. so unless you can have a separate room reserved for work that you can seal yourself off in when you are working, and more important seal yourself AWAY from when you're not working, be careful of becoming exhausted from the constant feeling of needing to get more work done.