PDA

View Full Version : New (for me) Adventure...

flatlander_48
06-07-2015, 08:26 AM
I am aligned with 2 transgender groups: one in Rochester, NY and the other in Geneva, NY. The groups are very different. The Rochester one is basically a social gathering at a bar and grill and is maybe 2/3 crossdressers. The Geneva one is harder to read. The first meeting I went to was probably 3/4 folks who were transitioning or who had transitioned for years. However, at last night's meeting we had essentially a new (and younger) crew. At this point, it isn't clear how things sit for this group. This group is more of a support group.

After the meeting, a couple of the younger ladies (maybe mid-20's or so) talked about going to have dinner, so I decided to go as I had eaten much earlier in the day. Geneva is a small college town at the north end of Seneca Lake. It has lots of little funky shops and restaurants in a real downtown area. We walked around downtown for a bit to find a place that wasn't overly crowded. I was wearing dark sunglasses as so it was easy to observe people without drawing undo attention. Everybody that we saw was absorbed enough with their own situation that we got no more than a passing glance.

We wound up at a Japanese teppanyaki restaurant. Seated at the other end of the cooking surface was a family: mother, father, 2 young boys and a mother-in-law. I'm sure they checked us out as we were close enough that I could hear them talking, but there were no knee jerks or whiplashes. Near the end of the meal, I noticed a group sitting around the next cooking surface over. No whiplash, but one by one the 3 couples looked in our direction over the course of 3 or 4 minutes. Pretty sure we were the topic of conversation as you could see them lean into each other and whisper, but that was the extent of the rubbernecking. It started when one of the wives told her husband and he was as subtle as a brick when he turned around in his chair (his back was originally to us). I had just happened to be looking as the wife pulled away and the husband turned around. However, the rest were more discrete.

So, how did all this sit with me? Surprisingly well, actually. I didn't have an elevated pulse or sweatly palms and I didn't have the sense that I was upsetting the balance of nature. It seems that increasingly my mindset is working around to the Well, Just **** It!!! stage. But, at this point it is unclear if that is my real thought process or whistling past the graveyard or just blind ignorance. Other adventures will help me understand better what is going on. I think it was helpful that my compatriates didn't seem to have much difficulty with things, although one did catch a glimpse of someone she knew from work while we were at the restaurant. It didn't seem to be that big of a deal. She just made a mental note to have a quiet discussion with the co-worker on Monday. I was also 55 miles from my home and the chances of seeing someone I know are pretty small. The restaurant management and staff was very pleasant. I had never been to this restaurant before (or any other in Geneva!), so I don't know how they are normally. But, for us, they were sufficiently attentive and solicitous.

And, what did I learn? The line from that old song came to mind: "...All I Got To Do I Act Naturally.". It's like that thing about about dogs smelling the fear in humans. It seems that if you behave in such a manner that gives off the notion that you EXPECT to be treated well, it improves the chances that it is what will happen. Conversely, acting squirrelly probably works to illicit untoward behavior. The important thing then is to be in control of yourself. That said, I have been a bit surprised with how relaxed I have been. This is how I usually am and to the point where I tell people that if you see me trashing around and in a hyper state, the shit is REALLY bad. But, so far, so good...

DeeAnn

Katey888
06-07-2015, 12:49 PM
Sounds like that's a darned good adventure to me, DeeAnn... :)

The more you do it, the more natural it feels and the less tense and nervous you'll be - it's a classic virtuous cycle... :cheer:

I would expect muggles to be more curious about us than anything else - we are still a bit unusual despite the current celebrity hype around Caitlyn... most will probably expect us to be TS because of that, but then if that helps acceptance it can't be a bad thing, can it...?

Katey x

heatherdress
06-07-2015, 01:06 PM
DeeAnn - Glad you had a good time. Seems like you handled everything perfectly. Maybe next time, you won't even look at the surrounding tables. Who cares what other people are thinking or talking about? I am glad for you. All you have to do is act naturally.

sabrinaedwards
06-07-2015, 01:22 PM
I had a dining experince recently that mirrors your thoughts about acting naturally and relaxed. I was at a club until midnight. On my way home I stopped at a fast food restaurant. I had been there previously and at that time of night there are not many people. As I sat down, a bus load of high schoolers with chaperons decended on the place! I did not know what to expect and I did get a couple of looks from the young women. I felt that I was appropriately "dressed" and continued with my meal. I did not get one negative comment, threat, or icy glare. Upon leaving, with my high heels clacking, no one seemed to care. Maybe the world is more accepting.
Love, Sabrina

flatlander_48
06-07-2015, 03:37 PM
Sounds like that's a darned good adventure to me, DeeAnn... :)

Yes, it was OK! It wasn't planned; it just happened.

The more you do it, the more natural it feels and the less tense and nervous you'll be - it's a classic virtuous cycle...

I have always tried, albeit sometimes unsuccessfully, to not worry about things until there is something to actually worry about. But, it feels like in more recent times that I'm just unwilling to invest effort and energy in the B/S of others. Just seems like a terrible waste for no good purpose.

DeeAnn - Glad you had a good time. Seems like you handled everything perfectly. Maybe next time, you won't even look at the surrounding tables. Who cares what other people are thinking or talking about? I am glad for you. All you have to do is act naturally.

Thanks!

But I have to tell you, I will always look. I wasn't really looking for anyone's reaction necessarily. It has more to do with understanding the environment where I happen be. This is something I've done since I was a kid. I also do the same thing when I'm driving.

DeeAnn

Marcelle
06-07-2015, 03:54 PM
Hi DeeAnn,

I found the more I just accepted the fact that people may read me and that for the most part people are too busy to notice, don't care or if they do have the good graces to keep their comments to themselves, I became less a deer in the headlights and more confident just being. Sounds like a good adventure and good learning moment. Thanks for sharing.

Hugs

Isha

CynthiaD
06-07-2015, 07:29 PM
Sounds like a great adventure, Flatlander, congratulations!

I was just thinking back to my first couple of outings. I didn't know what to expect, but everything was " just regular." Normal and ordinary. And, somehow, that was the best thing about it.

Congratulations again, and many happy returns.

Ineke Vashon
06-07-2015, 09:32 PM
I kinda feel a key ingredient in your adventure was being part of a group, instead of all by yourself.

Ineke

sometimes_miss
06-07-2015, 11:25 PM
Glad you had a nice evening out.

I kinda feel a key ingredient in your adventure was being part of a group, instead of all by yourself.
I think it also makes a difference when OTHERS are in a group. Young males are more often likely to attack us in this type of situation when they're with other men, perhaps to show off their superiority to those who are dressed as female. When their girlfriends are present, for some reason they don't seem as willing to get into fights just for the hell of it. Unless, of course, they're drunk.

It seems that if you behave in such a manner that gives off the notion that you EXPECT to be treated well, it improves the chances that it is what will happen.
This is true. But it in no way guarantees that you will be treated the way you expect. Glad you keep the situational awareness active.

Maybe next time, you won't even look at the surrounding tables. Who cares what other people are thinking or talking about?
I still wouldn't recommend that, because it's exactly when you let your guard down that you can get careless, and expose yourself to danger. And as we know, it's not going to be a gentleman's challenge to a boxing match or duel at dawn. It will be more likely that they'll attack you when you leave the restaurant after you've had a drink or two, and your homophobe radar isn't working as well as it needs to be. Real girls are careful when out. We have to be as well.